MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

temps_utile / 6 x clock generator [build thread etc]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author temps_utile / 6 x clock generator [build thread etc]
Altitude909
https://github.com/jakplugg

It has nothing to do with the power of the PSU, its a specific issue with how fast the +/- rails come up. Some teensies are more prone than others it seems. It's weird that the OC works fine but the fact that hot plugging the temps fixes it confirms its that issue that youre seeing. We've seen this all over and is why there was a rev 1.1 for uOC and Temps
tdball
Altitude909 wrote:
https://github.com/jakplugg

It has nothing to do with the power of the PSU, its a specific issue with how fast the +/- rails come up. Some teensies are more prone than others it seems. It's weird that the OC works fine but the fact that hot plugging the temps fixes it confirms its that issue that youre seeing. We've seen this all over and is why there was a rev 1.1 for uOC and Temps

Thanks for the link. That's the one I'd checked but didn't catch anything about the pogo pin or the MIC803. I'm going to see if I can find out what revision I have. Much appreciated.

Here's a shot of the back of my board, I do have a hole, just in a different place. Picture file
Altitude909
^
Old rev.
tdball
Altitude909 wrote:
^
Old rev.

Sweeeeeet. Glad to know the problem is fixable. I didn't see it on the git repo or in a previous comment in the thread, was there any documentation about the pogo pin and the MIC803?
Altitude909
tdball wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
^
Old rev.

Sweeeeeet. Glad to know the problem is fixable. I didn't see it on the git repo or in a previous comment in the thread, was there any documentation about the pogo pin and the MIC803?

You're right, still the old file. I'll talk to Jim to get them pushed out. Both revs are ready and tested so they are OK to release.
tdball
Altitude909 wrote:
tdball wrote:
Altitude909 wrote:
^
Old rev.

You're right, still the old file. I'll talk to Jim to get them pushed out. Both revs are ready and tested so they are OK to release.

You're awesome! I see the differences now between the newest revision and what I've got ( I actually have an unpopulated panel for revision 1.2 to compare against.)

Thanks for the help!
wardour
deleted
wavedepletion
Has anyone had any success with the Burst Generator mode? I've made a few attempts now at understanding how this works, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get it to output anything other than single random trigs/gates, and not very reliably.

I have firmware v1.2.3 installed.
Sammus
Missed the convo about non booting. To solve this I added a small cap on a jumper between teensy rst and ground. Need to remove jumper to flash, install jumper for use. Works perfectly.
gimber
Recently finished a uTemps with the grayscale PCB, and have a steady 9.5ish volts coming out of the DAC/out4. removing the jumper drops it to 0.
Reflowed the ICs which didn't help. Does anyone have any ideas where else I may have gone wrong to gave the output stuck like this?
Going through calibration, the output of 4 doesn't change with the different screens/settings.

Thanks in advance
mxmxmx
gimber wrote:
Recently finished a uTemps with the grayscale PCB, and have a steady 9.5ish volts coming out of the DAC/out4. removing the jumper drops it to 0.
Reflowed the ICs which didn't help. Does anyone have any ideas where else I may have gone wrong to gave the output stuck like this?
Going through calibration, the output of 4 doesn't change with the different screens/settings.

off my head, no. you'll have to poke around U12, if i see it right. might be easier to trace the signal from the DAC pin (A14) by outputting a sine or the like. here's a simple example, basically

// Simple DAC sine wave test on Teensy 3.x

float phase = 0.0;
float twopi = 3.14159 * 2;
elapsedMicros usec = 0;

void setup() {
analogWriteResolution(12);
}

void loop() {
float val = sin(phase) * 2000.0 + 2050.0;
analogWrite(A14, (int)val);
phase = phase + 0.02;
if (phase >= twopi) phase = 0;
while (usec < 500) ; // wait
usec = usec - 500;
}

wavedepletion wrote:
Has anyone had any success with the Burst Generator mode? I've made a few attempts now at understanding how this works, but no matter what I try I can't seem to get it to output anything other than single random trigs/gates, and not very reliably.

I have firmware v1.2.3 installed.

the idea is you have to trigger the burst with TR2 (TR1 provides the timing), but it ("burst mode") admittedly was a bit of a half-hearted (and semi-aborted) attempt; i guess it shouldn't even be in there. i have plans to fix it but didn't get round to do it
soundslikejoe
New user... clocking from DAW using ES-3 and Silent Way. The clock is tight if I got straight to sequencer or into a Time Wizard... but if I take the same clock (24ppqn) into Temps the sync is off... badly. All of the clocks will be the right tempo but they fire with latency (behind the beat). I assume it's a user error and some setting I've missed.

Quick tips?
mxmxmx
soundslikejoe wrote:
New user... clocking from DAW using ES-3 and Silent Way. The clock is tight if I got straight to sequencer or into a Time Wizard... but if I take the same clock (24ppqn) into Temps the sync is off... badly. All of the clocks will be the right tempo but they fire with latency (behind the beat). I assume it's a user error and some setting I've missed.

Quick tips?

what mode(s)? is this when using the global 24PPQ divider? are you multiplying? (if so see here, i wouldn't know how to solve this)
soundslikejoe
Yes... set global to 24PPQ and each channel is clocking to T1 input. DAW is sending 24PPQ. But... a few channels were set to multiply. Read link and it seems that might be tighter to send 4 or 8 PPQ and then divide for quarter notes. Eh?
mxmxmx
soundslikejoe wrote:
Yes... set global to 24PPQ and each channel is clocking to T1 input. DAW is sending 24PPQ. But... a few channels were set to multiply. Read link and it seems that might be tighter to send 4 or 8 PPQ and then divide for quarter notes. Eh?

... still not entirely sure what exactly the problem is that you're seeing, but yeah, generally speaking, if clocking the thing with 24/48/96 PPQ, it'll make sense to divide. the module updates at 16.67kHz or every 60 microseconds, so it'll be "tight" for most practical purposes; problems arise (or that's what the link is saying), once you start multiplying; the reason is that in order to figure the speed of the incoming clock, the module (or any such clock multiplier, i suppose) has to wait for (at least) one more clock signal. as things are, the relevant "clocks" are the quarter notes, so that's what's causing the phenomenon discussed in the linked github issue ("channel seems to wait until the next quarter note to start multiplying"). if that's what you're seeing ... i don't see a way around this, i'm afraid.
DJ_JITTER
I'm about to build both a uTemps and a uO_C using Grayscale PCBs. Am I right in thinking that this OPA2172IDR OP amp that's on the uO_C BOM will work fine with the uTemps?
mxmxmx
DJ_JITTER wrote:
Am I right in thinking that this OPA2172IDR OP amp that's on the uO_C BOM will work fine with the uTemps?

you mean as a substitute for the TL072s? sure, i suppose it would work ... but why not just use TL072?
DJ_JITTER
mxmxmx wrote:
DJ_JITTER wrote:
Am I right in thinking that this OPA2172IDR OP amp that's on the uO_C BOM will work fine with the uTemps?

you mean as a substitute for the TL072s? sure, i suppose it would work ... but why not just use TL072?

I was thinking of trying to streamline the Mouser order, but yeah it's not really worth it.

If anyone else is building both, I've combined the BOMs for both builds here. It's my first time having to find components rather than just buying a kit, so hopefully there's no major gaffes in there.
Supervillain
Hey,
I don't really get how RST1 and RST2 work...
What's the difference with low/hi setting?
mxmxmx
Supervillain wrote:
Hey,
I don't really get how RST1 and RST2 work...
What's the difference with low/hi setting?

from the manual:

Quote:
reset/mute: when applicable, this assigns a reset source (basically: MULT, EUCLID, SEQ); it typically doesn't make sense, of course, to choose RST1 when the clock source is TR1, and v.v. Alternatively, choose =LO2 or =HI2 to mute a/the channel whenever TR2 goes low, respectively high.

in other words: RST1 = reset via TR1; RST2 = reset via TR2, LO2 = mute/pause channel while TR2 is low; HI2 = mute/pause while TR2 is high. so HI2/LO2 isn't about reset at all, but "gating" the channels. that's the difference. makes sense?
Supervillain
Thanks for clarifying this point, now I got it!
tillibilli
Hey there,
I just finished a micro tempsutile. Everything seems to be working nicely, but the DAC Out 4.
Without a Jumper installed it works like the other pins. But with the Jumper in one position it gives out a straight 10V all the time, and with the jumper in the other positions it gives out something like -9.9V straight... Anybody knows what could be wrong?

Thanks!
mxmxmx
tillibilli wrote:
Hey there,
I just finished a micro tempsutile. Everything seems to be working nicely, but the DAC Out 4.
Without a Jumper installed it works like the other pins. But with the Jumper in one position it gives out a straight 10V all the time, and with the jumper in the other positions it gives out something like -9.9V straight... Anybody knows what could be wrong?

Thanks!

hi

the jumper is really a vestige from when there were teensy 3.0s, which didn't come with a DAC. only the "DAC" position is supported by the firmware, so don't bother with the other one.

as for what might be wrong ... hard to tell. as a first step, double-check the output-stage for lose solder points, shorts etc; the schematic can be found here: https://github.com/jakplugg/T_u
pld
So a thing happened...

Short description:
- The app menu (still invoked by long-press R) now has four pages. L selects the page.
- Settings from the global config app are in the Conf page.
- You can get back to the current app with Down or pressing R to select an entry in the Apps page (still only one app though).
- Long-pressing R on an/the entry in Apps will reset to defaults.
- Load and Save from/to a slot are activated by long-pressing R also (cursor will flash).
- A slot contains all the user patterns and the global config settings...
- ...but only saves the parameters for the currently active mode in each channel (with minor exceptions); other modes are reset to defaults on load. That was a prerequisite to getting four slots.
- It should be fairly resilient (the slots may display garbled text at worst, but not try to load garbage) but it's probably a Good Idea to reset the eeprom once at startup (hold Up + Down).
- Existing settings are ignored, and lost on save.
- Calibration should be untouched.
- Module boots to last used slot.

Code here
No .hex since it's intentionally an early adopter preview and it's a dev branch so no guarantees of not being rebased, etc.
I've only compiled it using Arduino 1.8.2.

Answers to FAQs:
Yes. No. Maybe. It depends.
smile

P.S. if anyone has a spare ut_U or 1U PCB/panel... hint hint.
lohacker
Great news! I was waiting for saving slots for a long time, can't wait to try it asap w00t thumbs up It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 28 of 31