MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

temps_utile / 6 x clock generator [build thread etc]
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author temps_utile / 6 x clock generator [build thread etc]
mxmxmx
gain looks ok and it's ~2V steps, so i'd say it's just the offset, assuming the line below reads -1.30V, not +1.30V:

DJ_JITTER wrote:

0 _____________2236___________1.30 _________________2790

is this the 8HP version or 14HP or ... ? if the former, double-check the value of R54; if the latter, also double-check that resistors: details see here.
DJ_JITTER
Ah yeah, that's supposed to be a negative.

It's an 8HP version. I'm getting 4.14 kOhm on R54, which is supposed to be 4.2K in the 8HP right?
mxmxmx
DJ_JITTER wrote:
Ah yeah, that's supposed to be a negative.

It's an 8HP version. I'm getting 4.14 kOhm on R54, which is supposed to be 4.2K in the 8HP right?

yep, that's the one. 4.14k vs 4.2k wouldn't matter though. what happens if you entirely remove it? (what should happen: 0v ... 9.5v at the output)
DJ_JITTER
Yep, removing R54 results in the output ranging from 0v to 9.5v
terje_t
Hey all,

I’m having an issue with a Temps Utile I just built. It generally works fine, calibration went fine. It’s just that sometimes the module doesn’t turn on when I power on my case. When this happens, I power off the case again, and when I power it back on the Temps Utile never fails to turn on.

Anyone recognize this behaviour and know what the problem might be?

It was built from a 8hp Magpie Modular PCB. I have not cut the power trace on the Teensy, because it’s easier for me to take the module out of the case to update it.

Thanks!
mxmxmx
DJ_JITTER wrote:
Yep, removing R54 results in the output ranging from 0v to 9.5v

mmh, that's good. weird though about the 4k2 resistor. you're 100% about the value?

either way, in theory you could just keep it this way (0-9.5v) (it would need some minor adjustment to the code, to make the gate go down all the way to 0v; that's basically already in there though, because of the buchla-format "2TT"). or if you have a 10k resistor, you may want to try this and recompile with #define MOD_OFFSET ? it doesn't matter much otherwise, the offset is mainly a matter of taste/preference i suppose

terje_t wrote:
Hey all,

I’m having an issue with a Temps Utile I just built. It generally works fine, calibration went fine. It’s just that sometimes the module doesn’t turn on when I power on my case. When this happens, I power off the case again, and when I power it back on the Temps Utile never fails to turn on.

Anyone recognize this behaviour and know what the problem might be?

It was built from a 8hp Magpie Modular PCB. I have not cut the power trace on the Teensy, because it’s easier for me to take the module out of the case to update it.

Thanks!

which PSU is that? ... anyways, yes, people occasionally seem to be running into boot issues in combination with certain PSUs (see further upthread.)

re 8HP: AFAIK, there's two versions of the board, one with a MIC803 (IC U4), which should/would solve it, and an earlier one without. you probably have the older one?
terje_t
mxmxmx wrote:

which PSU is that? ... anyways, yes, people occasionally seem to be running into boot issues in combination with certain PSUs (see further upthread.)

re 8HP: AFAIK, there's two versions of the board, one with a MIC803 (IC U4), which should/would solve it, and an earlier one without. you probably have the older one?

Right, yep - no MIC803 on this one so that’s probably it. I saw the stuff about the boot issues but didn’t connect it to my problem for some reason. Thanks!

My case is the Doepfer LC9 with PSU3.

It’s not a big deal, since I know it comes on the second time.
mxmxmx
terje_t wrote:

Right, yep - no MIC803 on this one so that’s probably it. I saw the stuff about the boot issues but didn’t connect it to my problem for some reason. Thanks!

My case is the Doepfer LC9 with PSU3.

It’s not a big deal, since I know it comes on the second time.

mmh, i see. if it really bothers you, a possible hack is to solder the MIC803 onto the gnd and 3v3 pads on the bottom side:

you'd then need to jumper the MIC803 "RST" pin to the RST test point with a thin wire, and also solder a pull-up resistor (100k) across 3v3 and reset
terje_t
Thanks for the tip! I’ll consider it smile
Sammus
Much easier fix for this is to just add a small cap between rst and gnd on teensy. I think I used like 10pf or 100pf. This holds reset low for a fraction of a second and you get 100% boot.

The issue is that teensy then won't reset for flashing - so I stuck one pin of a 2pin header into the empty gnd pin on teensy, and ran the cap from the other leg to the rst pad. Then jumper on the header for use, jumper removed for upgrade.
mutronic
can you only compile temps_utile firmware in linux? I try to flash it using the teensy app and it tells me the hex file is too large.
mutronic
I plugged in this micro temps one evening and the 4.7 resistor blew, and I'm pretty sure it's because the corner screw shorted out the diode when I plugged it in. I soldered on a new resistor, 1117, and diode onto the board, and I can't get any power past 2.5v. I figured more eyes is better than two, so am open to criticisms or suggestions.

mxmxmx
@mutronic: no, the process should be fairly agnostic re OS. try to upload a/the "blink" example sketch first, the loader app probably thinks you're trying to flash a teensy 3.0

not sure why a LM1117 would output 2.5V (unless it's the 2.5V version...). can't spot anything, but then I'm on my phone..
consumer
I just came here to post a thank you to mxmxmx for a nice project: I just built up a rev1-c board (fabbed a couple years ago) and everything went swimmingly the first time through after following the github wiki.

I notice that this is the second time I'm posting here just next to Mutronic about an mxmxmx project: A nice coincidence, although I imagine with my glacial pace at these projects that he's finished six since I last posted. In any event:

Thank you, mxmxmx for this super-cool project.
terje_t
Heh, this is probably a long shot but on the chance someone's done the same dumb thing as me with the same result:

My Temps Utile used to have a 3D-printed plastic front panel. I recently milled an aluminium panel and excitedly swapped out the plastic one. You can imagine where this is going. The pins from the display was touching the now grounded front panel.

It showed a half strange kind of frozen startup screen a couple times until I figured out what was wrong and isolated it. Unfortunately, the module has now stopped working.

The thing is: it works on USB power but not on power from my rack. I have tested both display and outputs on USB power: all is good. On rack power, the display doesn't come on and the outputs are dead.

On USB power, I can see the LED on the Teensy light up. This does not happen on rack power. However, all the quick points I can think to check seem allright - 5V out of one voltage converter, 3.3V out of the other, and I see 3.3V on pins Vin and 3.3 on the Teensy.

Any ideas?
n0rd
Bug v1.3.1b: Adjusting "Phase %" on long divisions causes incorrect output.

Eg
mode: MULT
mult/div: /4 (or bigger)
pulsewidth: 50% (can also occur when set to ms too).
clock src: INIT (120bpm)**

At "phase % = 0", output is ok but adjusting "phase %" to 3 or more output is incorrect. (**Note: When using a external input (eg TR1), "phase %" works ok until higher value ~8 or 10).

Request:
Additional "pulsewidth" sizes other than just 50%. (Eg 5% to 95% in 5% steps).

Steve
mxmxmx
n0rd wrote:

incorrect meaning ... the phase is/seems off? or missing triggers?

if the former (i assume...), chances are the channels are out of sync, it's really 6 independent channels ... what happens when you push the left encoder (= manual sync)?

with TR1 it should work when doing: long press R > Conf > TR Master "yes". i suppose something similar might work for the internal clock, too ... let's see. that will tend to fall into the "refactoring" category, i'm afraid

@terje_t

the VIN pin should read 5V, so sounds as if something isn't right with the LM1117?
n0rd
mxmxmx wrote:
n0rd wrote:

It's missing triggers. Output goes high and can act like a toggle when it should just be changing phase. Given it only seems to happen with large divisions it might just be a overflow of a variable.
ricwadsworth
Just built my first TU and very pleased with it. All is working fine except that when testing the output voltage on channel 1 is ~3.3v not the ~10v the others give (channel 4 gives me the ~4.7v too)

Also I've just noticed that all CV values from the debug menu are 1024 not 2048.

The unit seems to function fine but would nice to have it set as it should be in the docs.

Any ideas what the issue could be?
terje_t
mxmxmx wrote:

@terje_t

the VIN pin should read 5V, so sounds as if something isn't right with the LM1117?

Oops, my bad - the VIN - pin 1, on the Teensy reads close to 5V (4.9ish). Thanks for the reply.

I have since tried flashing another Teensy I had with the Temps Utile firmware, with no more luck. So that might mean the Teensy is ok and the problem is on the main PCB. It did not have the DAC pin soldered to anything but I would imagine I'd see the screen coming on anyway?
mxmxmx
n0rd wrote:
mxmxmx wrote:
n0rd wrote:

It's missing triggers.

mmh, it seems to be working here (*). the phase stuff doesn't behave ideally though when changing the multiplier/divisor, working on it ...

* using this branch: https://github.com/mxmxmx/temps_utile-/tree/1.3b ...

terje_t wrote:
mxmxmx wrote:

@terje_t

Oops, my bad - the VIN - pin 1, on the Teensy reads close to 5V (4.9ish). Thanks for the reply.

I have since tried flashing another Teensy I had with the Temps Utile firmware, with no more luck. So that might mean the Teensy is ok and the problem is on the main PCB. It did not have the DAC pin soldered to anything but I would imagine I'd see the screen coming on anyway?

yeah, the display is entirely agnostic about the DAC. so it comes on with USB, but not from the PSU? sounds like boot-up problems (weird though that it should have worked before?). see the MIC803 etc discussion further upthread ...
n0rd
mxmxmx wrote:
n0rd wrote:

mmh, it seems to be working here (*). the phase stuff doesn't behave ideally though when changing the multiplier/divisor, working on it ...

* using this branch: https://github.com/mxmxmx/temps_utile-/tree/1.3b ...

Just did a test of 1.3.2.b.

Adjusting "phase %" manually occasionally seems to cause the output to disable (stay low) for a cycle. (Wiggle knob whilst adjusting "phase %" to reproduce. Note it seems to occur more with high divisions like /8).

Using "pulsewidth 50%" with "phase %" > ~50 doesn't work correctly. Output seems to go back to triggers and sometimes just stays high.

Resetting a stage (ie RST2) with "phase %" non zero also seems to mess with the output (stays high). Adjust "phase %" back to zero seems to correct it.
ricwadsworth
ricwadsworth wrote:
Just built my first TU and very pleased with it. All is working fine except that when testing the output voltage on channel 1 is ~3.3v not the ~10v the others give (channel 4 gives me the ~4.7v too)

Also I've just noticed that all CV values from the debug menu are 1024 not 2048.

The unit seems to function fine but would nice to have it set as it should be in the docs.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Just to say a look at the schematics and reflow of the 10k and 20k resistors in the CV1 circuit sorted the ~3.3v issue.

All CVs still show 1024 in the debug so if there are any suggestions as to why that might be it would be great.
djthopa
Apologies if this has been asked.

My temps panel does not come with a hole on the right of the lcd like on the ornament and crimes.

When i push the top button, i can see the lcd bending down Dead Banana

Any ideas on how to fix this?

There is s space behind the panel but i cant bolt it to the panel since there is no hole.

Cheers
ricwadsworth
djthopa wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked.

My temps panel does not come with a hole on the right of the lcd like on the ornament and crimes.

When i push the top button, i can see the lcd bending down Dead Banana

Any ideas on how to fix this?

There is s space behind the panel but i cant bolt it to the panel since there is no hole.

Cheers

I used a similar spacer to the o_C but reverse attached through the PCB.
Hope this helps.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 30 of 31