MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Best modules for karplus strong?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Best modules for karplus strong?
dude
i want some of yea olde KS and don't have the means currently as far as i can tell. i am eying those doepfer 128 or 256 bbd delays. what do you think? what is best/most flexible etc?
dougcl
Here is the 256
http://www.vimeo.com/2651547
and here is the 512
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULebSLRrDt0
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
cant go wrong with any doepfer BBD

I read somewhere that the more stages there are, the "darker" it is. I believe it, I have a 4096 and will never get rid of it.

I know you didnt ask, but I personally think the 188-1 > 188-2 in this regard.
Babaluma
anyone get the blacet time machines to do this? that vimeo video is particularly impressive.
dude
aren't the shorter guys better? in that thinking, the 128 would be the best? caveat: i don't know what the fuck i am talking about beyond having recently read the wiki. anybody tried the 128? that 256 sounded fucking strong.
dude
umpcorps posted a link somewhere of something that was amazing. i think it was KS related.
dude
i would have sought out the time machine long ago if i had frac abilities. i could power them but i have nowhere to house them. 5u and euro are my current options. and what about other than delay? simple filters/phasers/flangers/shifters/ring mods etc...
dougcl
You can probably imagine what a 128 would sound like by comparing the 256 to the 512. I think if you do the math, the 512 is a closer fit to the range of a guitar. But as you can see, its strengths are in the lower register, no matter the math. Not sure how 128 comes from the wiki, but it's been a while since I read it.
dougcl
dude wrote:
and what about other than delay? simple filters/phasers/flangers/shifters/ring mods etc...

Formally, KS requires a delay.
mono-poly
Greg i'm afraid the delay time on the blacet is to long.
You need a flanger type delay.
Babaluma
yeah i thought that might be the case. having said that, i have got some great chorus and flanger patches out of my time machines with delay times set very short, but never anything like the karplus strong patch posted above.
confusional
Redacted.
Umcorps
dude wrote:
umpcorps posted a link somewhere of something that was amazing. i think it was KS related.

Link slut strikes! Ninja

[s]http://soundcloud.com/umcorps/plcdf[/s]

Thats the 256 BTW.
wetterberg
I heard the TipTopAudio z5000v2 does a MEAN sounding KS! I would love it if someone with one of them could chime in here? Perhaps do a little demo or two?
sduck
You can actually do a sort of KS with the blacet time machine - as Stretta demonstrates here -

Edit - I just tried that out on my time machine, and while it does indeed produce a pitched sound, that's about all it does. The pitch isn't controllable enough to be really useful, and the sound sort of... sucks. You'd really want a tighter delay to do this.
thermionicjunky
Modcan Flanger (180 uS) or Digital Delay (20 uS).
igormpc
and what about sounds of shadows? hmmm.....
dougcl
igormpc wrote:
and what about sounds of shadows? hmmm.....

Seriously. Inquiring minds want to know.
dude
SoS doesn't get fast enough. of course i may 'be ur doin it wrong' ing.
it does other thing VERY well however. sounds like 256 is the one i need.
dude
dougcl wrote:
dude wrote:
and what about other than delay? simple filters/phasers/flangers/shifters/ring mods etc...

Formally, KS requires a delay.

so i am fairly sure filters are involved as well for the desired karplus signal path. also the word on the street is that other effect in the said path produce interesting results as well.

anybody?
parasitk
thermionicjunky wrote:
Modcan Flanger (180 uS) or Digital Delay (20 uS).

I really like the Flanger examples on the Modcan site but I'd love to hear some examples of KS with the Digital Delay.
dude
seconded and thirded!
Umcorps
dude wrote:

so i am fairly sure filters are involved as well for the desired karplus signal path. also the word on the street is that other effect in the said path produce interesting results as well.

anybody?

You don't need filters in the signal path but, without them, the sound is going to stay in plucked string territory. Once you put filters into the KS feedback loop you get the chance to generate a wider range of timbres. If KS is a simple physical model of a plucked string, I suppose that adding filters in the loop is the equivalent of changing the dimensions and composition of the string? hmmm.....

The other thing that produces interesting results is to change the input both in terms of type and duration. You can do some quite err "different" stuff that way.

Funky40
dude wrote:
aren't the shorter guys better? in that thinking, the 128 would be the best? caveat: i don't know what the fuck i am talking about beyond having recently read the wiki. anybody tried the 128? that 256 sounded fucking strong.

i have all shorter ones.
in theory the 128 is the best ---> you have best control of pitch
in praxis it looses ----> sound is nomore that pleasing, to high, to thin.
256 is best compromise of rich sound and good controllability, overall IMO also the most versatile one.

how much stages has the time machine, 4096 ?
i can do also with my 4096doepfer Resonator sounds, but must boost the feedback.
ofcourse i have not enough control over pitch to call it karplus strong, but the fun is to move between delay and resonatorsound.
dude
i think 256 it is. thanks everybody!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3