MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

ARP Solus CV Issue (3 octaves too high)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author ARP Solus CV Issue (3 octaves too high)
CV_Wonder
Hello,
I have a Solus that I would love to incorporate into my setup with CV but, as is true and I've heard from a lot of sources, the pitch is scaled around 3 octaves too high compared with everything else. Super annoying. Has anyone ever come up with a solution to this issue? Or does anyone know of an easy way to address it? I've tried using the CP-251 but for some reason I've been unsuccessful (tracking changes etc.)

Thanks
AnalogBastard
Wish I could help..Recently just turned on my Solus.. Only to find VCO 1 has bought the farm Dead Banana angry
CV_Wonder
AnalogBastard wrote:
Wish I could help..Recently just turned on my Solus.. Only to find VCO 1 has bought the farm Dead Banana angry

Sorry to hear this :(
It has such a nice tone, easy to mix too.
AnalogBastard
I agree, it's really a sweet sounding instrument thumbs up
Henfield
AnalogBastard wrote:

Sorry to hear that, selling my Solus is something that I deeply regret! Great two osc "budget" synth! I always liked the fact that it was built into a case, which made it very easy to transport.
CV_Wonder
Does anyone know the proper way to attenuate on the CP-251 without having scaling going out? Seems like it could be the fastest solution..
Henfield
CV_Wonder wrote:
Does anyone know the proper way to attenuate on the CP-251 without having scaling going out? Seems like it could be the fastest solution..

I don't know about the CP-251, but does the Pitch Bend knob affect the CV as well? If so, you can lower the notes on the Solus by one octave if you turn the pitch bend all of the way down. That is how I use to get low bass on my Solus in the past.
CV_Wonder
Henfield wrote:
CV_Wonder wrote:

I don't know about the CP-251, but does the Pitch Bend knob affect the CV as well? If so, you can lower the notes on the Solus by one octave if you turn the pitch bend all of the way down. That is how I use to get low bass on my Solus in the past.

No, sadly the Controls like LFO, pitch knob, portamento are pre CV/Gate.
:(
I attempted tap in before those controls by using the keyboard connector on the pcb but it appears to invert the notes (backwards keyboard) and do other fun things like make the pitch a couple octaves tooo low no matter what.
Lackan110f
I am too looking for a solution to this problem. It seems that the octave switch get stuck in +1 mode when using ext CV?

Noone that found a work around?
Lackan110f
Lackan110f wrote:
Noone that found a work around?

I ended up building me an offset scaler. This board can be built on a 1"x1" board and works really great. Kudos to Stereoping!

https://www.stereoping.com/eurorack-diy-offset-scaler/?lang=en
DiscoDevil
you can't use something like the beatstep pro or another controller that would let you set the root 2-3 octaves lower?
Lackan110f
Possibly could, but this board ended up costing me approx $5 and I didn't have to wait for the delivery service to mash it up... smile
wes2600
You can use the CP-251 mixer to do this:

Connect source voltage to input 1, set input 1 dial to 10.

Connect destination to + output, set Master dial to 10.

Set Offset knob as desired. CW will raise voltage, CCW will reduce voltage. You can raise/lower the output CV up to 5 volts, or 5 octaves. Tracking should not be affected.
Lackan110f
wes2600 wrote:
You can use the CP-251 mixer to do this

Yes, the Korg MS02 is another option. But neither beats the $5 price of the Stereoping DIY option. smile
jkjelec
I fixed a Solus a long time ago; where the filter cutoff frequency had gone up waaay too high. It's not clear if you are talking about a problem common to all Soluses, or a failure of your specific unit. But if it's a unit failure where a single osc freq or the filter cutoff has gone up, this may be it: I had found that the 1.87K (I think) 3300 PPM Tempco component in the circuit had gone open circuit. The part looked fine (A black cylinder) but was open. Solder a similar value resistor across the Tempco component to test it. It won't stay in tune over temperature, but you can show that once you get a new tempco it will work 100%. Give it a try!
Lackan110f
jkjelec wrote:
It's not clear if you are talking about a problem common to all Soluses, or a failure of your specific unit.

No, I'm talking about a general "Solus-issue" smile If you look at the schematics the ext CV-in comes in after the tune fader, oct shift and PB-knob. So there is no way of tuning the thing once hooked up to CV.

If you use a CV/midi like Kenton, you can tune it from there. But I want to control the Solus straight from a Pro~One without having to re calibrate the Solus.

And then the CV Ofsetter is the easiest way.

N.B. One of my Soluses had a faulty oscillator, turned out that it also was the 1.87 Tempco. Now I have found out that 1.87 are no longer in production, so I have stashed up with 10 pieces of 1.87 so I am good for the future... smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1