MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Working on fixing the 'session logged out' issue - please log out and log back in as there is a new cookie name. It MAY be worse for a while, sorry. We'll see... I'm working on it. Thanks

Frac folks: is this thing on?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Frac folks: is this thing on?

ginorobair

Hey --
Just wondering if there's any new action in the frac rack realm.

meh

Cybananna

I haven't seen anything. Blacet's page has been updated fairly recently(has a winters picture). No new modules though.

A uniqu new frac module would be nice

Cat-A-Tonic

The most recent Blacet news is:
- New PSU
- New racks
- New revision of VCO; not as deep, with no flying wires.
- Conversion panels for SynthTech Modules.

In these parts you mostly have to DIY your own new action.

Oh, and the occassional BugBrand release.

ginorobair

Blacet is also selling a pre-configured system called Puma 15, which has some unfilled spaces in the rack for additional modules. There's a photo on the home page.

Just bought one of the new dual racks with the updated psu for my Bugs. Really happy with it.

e-grad

Blacet offers a bare mounting frame by now!

rezzn8r

Happy new year, fellow frac'ers.
I kind of hoping we might see some frac Bubblesound from Synthcube in 2015

Liquidcolor

Just built this for a customer:

ginorobair

Love the look of that Gate Sequencer! Looks like a great companion to the Major Drum module. applause

dJ dAb

OBERmod panel I've been working on...

ndkent

http://synthcube.com has some kits and built modules. There was an Analogue Metropolis Emu multimode not too long ago,

ginorobair

SynthCube has some very interesting stuff. Thank you for the reminder.

ndkent wrote:
http://synthcube.com has some kits and built modules. There was an Analogue Metropolis Emu multimode not too long ago,

tuj

Frac is dead guys. Just admit. I has got 15U of Blacet/Metalbox and I love it for sure and I appreciate the spacious layouts in Frac, but everyone should see the writing on the wall that is called EuroCrack.

JohnLRice

I say if you like it/love it, keep it! thumbs up Just because another format is more popular doesn't mean the less popular formats are 'bad' . . unless the reason you got into modulars was to be popular? lol 8_)

I don't have any FRAC but I started out that way a long time ago (PAiA 4700 series modular at least). I'm mainly a 5U guy and have had my fill of people saying 5U is dead and to go with eurorack because it's the most popular. meh 5U recently is getting a boost of 'cool' because Moog has started making modulars again though.

I've had small eurorack systems in the past and keep trying to get away from it but . . I'm putting a small eurorack system together again oops mainly because of the new Mattson/Synthrotek modules coming out and they will also be offered as kits so, it might be possible to DIY them into FRAC versions? hmmm.....

rezzn8r

tuj wrote:
Frac is dead guys. Just admit.

methinks you might be premature with that assessment. I've still got a pulse, Doc.
hihi
Blacet, Metalbox, and Synthcube are all still supporting the format. And with the DIY community, how can it ever really die?

But...

Cybananna wrote:

A unique new frac module would be nice

I think this might be a pipe dream waah

It would make no sense at all to design specifically for the frac format, if I was a new module maker. The size of the Euro market makes it a no brainer.

JohnLRice wrote:
I say if you like it/love it, keep it! thumbs up

Yup! And I plan to make it a little bigger this year, too.
Especially if John Blacet decides to do a run of the SynthTech E/F102 hyper

dJdAb's system appears to be Alive & Kicking, too!
dJ dAb wrote:

Long Live Frac! nanners Blacet headbang

rezzn8r

I'm getting better...I feel fine...I think I'll go for a walk...

tuj

look I have a significant investment in Frac, (not as much as you apparently) but tell me, where I am going to get:

-a LPG
-syncable lfos
-a good quantitizer (please don't say mini wave)
-a PLL
-shuffling clock multiplier

...you get the point. My point was that as a format, it makes way more sense to enter into the EuroCrack scene. Sure there are still Serge and MOTM and Buchla systems out there; I'm not saying the format is Betamax'ed (or rather I am, in much the same way that betamax pro went on for years on tv crews), I'm saying the beginners have a completely legitimate question when they ask 'why are there 200 EuroCrack manufactures, and SIX Frac manufactures?

rezzn8r

tuj wrote:
but tell me, where I am going to get:

-a LPG
-syncable lfos
-a good quantitizer (please don't say mini wave)
-a PLL
-shuffling clock multiplier

I'll give you the PLL, and maybe the syncable lfos, if you mean syncable like my Modcan 61B Quad LFO. A Frac F-355 can reset or hold/freeze from the sync input. Everything else is obtainable, if only on the used market.
I have a Borg and a BugBrand LPG in my frac rig. The 4ms stuff can be bought as kits and built up as 15v. As for a good quantizer, the Barton stuff is available from Synthcube, and I hear the E102 can quantize, so there might be that, too. That said, I'm usually pretty happy with the Quantizer ROMs on my Miniwaves. oops

tuj wrote:
I'm saying the beginners have a completely legitimate question when they ask 'why are there 200 EuroCrack manufactures, and SIX Frac manufactures?

yup. Sad, but true. When I started to get into Modular 6 or 7 years ago, if Euro had been as big then as it is now, then my system would probably look very different.

dogoftears

i love the frac... i'm all frac cept for a Euro vermona QMi, for midi to cv. of course i'm mostly bugbrand, but i also have a healthy assortment of wiard and blacet modules.

one thing i've always thought is that if more frac stuff were shallow/"skiff friendly" then people would be more into it as a format. all the bug stuff is shallow, even the V1's with perpendicular PCB's still fit into a portable case for the most part. people who like 3U style usually also like portable style... somehow i find this to be a major anchoring point in why frac isn't so popular. even for myself, these days, when i think of buying new blacet modules, i always come back to "oh but i can never fit them in my portable case, so gigging them is a PITA"... so frac is kinda weird in that way, it's 3U, but has the presence of many 5U systems IMO.

i find the sound quality to be much better, (try a/bing a euro borg/boogie vs the frac borg/boogie) and i love that every modules spits out either -5/+5 or 0-10v. it seems all the frac people were able to psychically agree on that...

strangely i still read all the euro format new release threads, i find all the developments very interesting, but it doesnt strike me with gear lust like it once did. some times a pang of jealousy but i usually get over it when i remember that i still make plenty of great music with my frac system... i hate hanging out on modulargrid... it just feels wrong and gross to me...

tuj

I started with Blacet like.. omg, so long ago. I wanted a true ring mod and got a basic frame and a IO and a klangwerk and lived with that setup for a long time, eventually filling out the 3U and moving rapidly to 15.

I love that euro and frac are using the same standards (e.g. 1v/oct) and same jacks and that allows one to easily have them both side by side and cross-patch. Frac seems to generally have a roomier layout as well.

I'm not getting rid of my Frac, not even my deep modules like the two Cynares I have that are impossibly deep. I still have deep eurorack modules, so that's not a concern for me personally, but I agree that people really like the skiff format, and to be honest, it is better / more space-conscious to put the pcbs in parallel.

rezzn8r

Hug

The Cynare is great! I just got one a few months ago, and I'm only just starting to scratch the surface.
A VERY deep module, in more ways than one Om

dJ dAb

I think, Frac is far from dead. Matter of fact, you'll see quite a few new offerings soon razz

btw, I couldn't even stomach going DIY Euro... Yuck!

Here's a few I'm currently slappin' together...

dogoftears

dJ dAb wrote:
I think, Frac is far from dead. Matter of fact, you'll see quite a few new offerings soon razz

btw, I couldn't even stomach going DIY Euro... Yuck!

Here's a few I'm currently slappin' together...

those are beautiful panels. i would love to have CGS stuff in frac format-- but i've always wondered how to accomplish it ergonomically-- are you just going to have the (4U tall) CGS PCB's perpendicular mounted? it seems like that'd be an insanely deep module.

Liquidcolor

Umm... I've been officially doing CGS in Frac for over ten years for people who don't DIY.

dogoftears

Liquidcolor wrote:
Umm... I've been officially doing CGS in Frac for over ten years for people who don't DIY.

well, if someone can make a DUSG that fits in, say, a bugbrand shallow rack, i'm their first customer... i'd buy 2. would it be possible to make a dual unit that's wider FW but accommodates the PCB's in a parallel fashion?

werock

dJ dAb wrote:

That's got me intrigued!

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 1 of 4