MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Enhanced step sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author Enhanced step sequencer
Man-Machine
I'm not a Volta user but seen Volta being used. The only thing preventing me from buying Volta and MOTU interface now is the step sequencer simplicity.

From using hardware analogue sequencers Volta step sequencer is way too basic for me
bsmith
Check out Numerology - has built in support for silent way or volta....
parasitk
udder wrote:
Check out Numerology - has built in support for silent way or volta....

thumbs up

http://five12.com/

http://www.five12.com/movies/N2Tech-Volta-H264.mov

screaming goo yo
Man-Machine
Serious? I've heard good things on Numerology

Have you tested it?
bsmith
I've been losing my mind this very morning, grab it and check it out! Enhanced out the ying yang - there's a few good vids to get you going at http://www.five12.com/t.html - hosts au plugs and rewires beautifully. You can use a softsynth to check it out - also check out silent way as an alternative to volta, http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
MrBiggs
Man-machine, I answered some of your question in your other post, but as you can see the short answer is "Numerology." It's a deep deep well of joy and love and long lonely nights in front of your gear.

Brian
doctorvague
MrBiggs wrote:
"Numerology." It's a deep deep well of joy and love and long lonely nights in front of your gear.

Brian

Indeed!
love

Have you guys seen these? They were recorded at Ron Sunsinger's studio

Man-Machine
Thank you. I'm checking out Numerology right now...
MrBiggs
doctorvague wrote:

Have you guys seen these? They were recorded at Ron Sunsinger's studio

Indeed I did. And a the next day I bought a Launchpad off the Craigslist. It's one thing to have it trigger clips in Live. But if it can also dance with Numerology then well, you know... Rockin' Banana!
bsmith
I'll be "going to pick up some bass strings, honey, be right back" the moment the version with this built in is released.
bsmith
So the numerology beta is now out with launchpad support, picked up a unit yesterday and have been basically useless to my family ever since. The videos in this thread give a taste of the coolness, but getting hands on with it - mind-bendingly killer. It's just a super fluid way to interact with so many different parameters of this sequencer on the fly - and holy shit the drum sequencing - simultaneous multinote control of multiple drum tracks, 16 steps in realtime - maybe live users have been used to this for a while - dunno not a live user - but wow, just wow. This thing turns numerology into a whole new beast altogether...
SlayerBadger!
qu.one
this is also quite a great piece of software: Thesys from Sugar Bytes. Its a plugin so you can use it in the DAW of your choice. Don't know specifics compared to Numerology, but i thought pretty cool nonetheless.

http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Thesys/index.php?lang=en
doctorvague
qu.one wrote:
this is also quite a great piece of software: Thesys from Sugar Bytes. Its a plugin so you can use it in the DAW of your choice. Don't know specifics compared to Numerology, but i thought pretty cool nonetheless.

http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Thesys/index.php?lang=en

Have they changed the name of this? I downloaded Eloquence from them and it appears to be the same. They're also calling Thesys 'Eloquence' in one of their videos. It does look pretty cool. If Jim would add custom scales to Numerology like I've been requesting for 4 years now I wouldn't be looking at Thesys so seriously. By custom scales I don't mean micro-tuning, I just mean scales besides the basic church modes. I'm not sure if Thesys has custom scales either but it least has many more to choose from. As much of a proponent as I am for Numerology the scale choices are pitiful.

I liked this line from Sugar Bytes site listing features:
Quote:
Special workaround for sending MIDI with the AU plugin

I think I will download the demo and check this out.
bsmith
Quote:
add custom scales to Numerology

No doubt, I would love to at least see harmonic & natural minor, whole tone and a half/whole diminished in that little pop up - those are pretty 101, and I use them quite a bit. A user definable scale library would be a huge win.
tragedybysyntax
so... i'm going to snag ableton live, launchpad and volta... having live, would numerology be overkill or... only if I had max for live would it be redundant? Just trying to wrap my head around workflow of live running volta and numerology... heh.
bar|none
Putting up my copy of Volta in buy/sell. Not that I don't like it but it is redundant for me now.
MrBiggs
You know the first thing I thought of is not that the tools themselves would be redundant, but that you're going to disappear for six months while you wrap your head around these new tools.

I have Live, Numerology, Volta, and I use Reaktor for sequencing sometimes as well, and I feel like I've hardly touched the potential of any of them with my modular. I don't have Max for Live mainly because of that "time" issue -- that I would get so lost in the building that I'd never get around to sequencing. If you're the type that wants to get into the software and make shit that no one else has, M4L is the way to go. Max and Numerology are really different, obviously. Numerology is vast, but in the end it's a sequencer while M4L is a lot of anything. The advantage of Numerology is that it's ready to go and designed to do what it does (and boy does it do that).

With Live by itself I don't think Numerology is overkill. Live is piano-roll sequencing, which is way less fun to me than real step sequencing.

I'll be curious to hear how you like the Launchpad with Numerology. I love what Jim has done in hacking it, basically, but remembering all the menus and whatnot is tough. I find that I don't use it much with Numerology.
MrBiggs
bar|none wrote:
Putting up my copy of Volta in buy/sell. Not that I don't like it but it is redundant for me now.

Silent Way? Or what?
tragedybysyntax
I"m actually thinking apc40 over launchpad....... apc40 plus my oxygen 8 and i think I'm set for midi control of software
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1