MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Any Love for the Waldorf Streichfett?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Any Love for the Waldorf Streichfett?
Adminius
I've used the forum search function and could only find two passing references to this titchy desktop synth. Anyone out there use it? Would you recommend it?

I'm looking at a cheap intro to polyphonic pads (outside of a DAW) to augment the multi-voiced monophonic mayhem generated by my modular, and it looks as if this is a "no brainer" considering the price (< £200).

There's gotta be something wrong with it. Yeah?
papercutnoise
I'm also interested to hear this.
albiedamned
There was a big thread here on it, but it's probably one of the missing threads due to the forum troubles. Hopefully it will re-appear soon when the forum problems are fixed.
cger
Not really, I tried it out and it did not really do much for me. I got Arturia Solina V and really love it. And I don't really use software synths anymore as much since I have a big hardware modular setup.
wyrtti
My band's bass player got one and loves it. I aLso like ghe stuff he has done with it.

Mind you, we have no hands on experience with any old string machines. But, it's fun and the price is good. Go for it!
fac
I just got one. Tried it yesterday for 10 minutes but I loved everything about it. Can't wait to use it in some recordings.
FrankV
I just picked one up as well. I like it quite a lot -- there are a few things I'd personally prefer to be different, but all in all, if you want to conjure up the vibe of the 70s stringers, it's a very credible box. It's also a lot easier to haul around something like this and a MIDI controller keyboard rather than a Crumar Orchestrator...

It is obviously not an everything machine (OK, everyone here knows that already), but for its intended purpose, I think it's pretty damn fine.

With some imagination on the part of the user, it can also do some things that you wouldn't initially think came from a string machine emulator, which constitutes a small added bonus. All in all I do give it a thumbs up

I also have to commend Waldorf for even making it in the first place -- of the synth module buying public, how many people could possibly want a string machine emulator? And still, they made it...!

Frank
Adminius
I've just pulled the trigger on this after an initial hiccup.

Should be arriving in a couple of days. Whoop!
Barfunkel
Congrats, it's a nice little box! I bought one when it came out but didn't really use it much the first 6 months, due to me misjudging it's ability to work in a techno context. A few weeks ago I tried to get some techno-ish sounds out of it and now it's on almost every tune I make!
werock
Check this thread
bloop
I had the Streichfett for 2 month, but sold it now.
I wanted to use it live to replace my sampled String Ensembles in my Nord Wave, but to me the sound is not usable and it cannot compete with any of my old String Ensembles (RS202, Solina, Logan, Rhapsody) and even the Nord factory samples sound more authentic.
The Streichfett lacks a low-pass filter and it sounds horrible in the highs (aliasing). The Phaser is terrible.
I would not recommend it.
Tronman
I like mine.
donato
I love string machines, but I just can't get into the Waldorf. It doesn't sound like the old ones at all. I've owned a Solina, Crumar Performer, Logan String Melody, Roland RS-09...and I feel the following software sounds much more vintage than the Waldorf:

G-force Virtual String Machines
XILS-Lab V+
Loomer String
UVI String Machines

The Waldorf is just software in the box anyway. If you don't care about vintage string tone and like the sounds of the Waldorf, then go for it. It just seems like the whole point of this was to sound like the old machines? I don't get it. Wish Korg would reissue a solina!
Sam Lothrop
Hey,
I recently got a Streichfett, and I can also definitely hear a lot of nasty digital aliasing type sounds from the String section. There are a few sweet spots, but it still takes a decent EQ to reduce some of the unwanted sounds.
The Streichfett doesn't compare to any of the vintage string synths
I've played (Rolands and Elkas), and unless Waldorf updates the OS to clean up the aliasing I'll probably return it.

And the solo section should be replaced by a multi mode filter
or a graphic eq or something to carve out the nastiness.

Could be good for a Mummies cover jam though...
Diabolik!
i run mine through my SEM with a slow lfo on the SEM filter. i think it sounds great.
1986Bowler
As soon as I heard about stringers, I did a lot of research and the Streichfett seemed to be a good fit.
I got one and I and I love it. It's a great inspiration- as long as you love the sound of stringers.
It's got plenty of functionality without the menu diving- it's very well laid out- and the presets are great too.
It is lush, and even moreso with the effects.
I think this is one I'll be keeping for awhile.
black_label
1986Bowler wrote:
As soon as I heard about stringers, I did a lot of research and the Streichfett seemed to be a good fit.
I got one and I and I love it. It's a great inspiration- as long as you love the sound of stringers.
It's got plenty of functionality without the menu diving- it's very well laid out- and the presets are great too.

I agree. Love mine. Simple, easy to use interface. Lots of flexibility among sting sounds. It does one thing and it does it reeeeeally well. The only things I’d really add are the ability to transmit audio via usb and a VST editor.
donato
It's amazing we have all these clones now and on the horizon (I realize the Waldorf is a digital emulation of string machines and not a clone), but all I want is a new Solina PLEASE!
rowsbywoof
black_label wrote:
1986Bowler wrote:

I agree. Love mine. Simple, easy to use interface. Lots of flexibility among sting sounds. It does one thing and it does it reeeeeally well. The only things I’d really add are the ability to transmit audio via usb and a VST editor.

You’re in luck for part of that. Monstrum has a ‘fett VST. I use the microwave and XT plugins from him, and they’re great.

https://www.monstrummedia.com/product/monstrumfett/
rens
Where the heck is our stvc??
Unborn Gore
rens wrote:

It’s out. But I haven’t heard of anyone buying one.

They set the price too high at $900.
rowsbywoof
Unborn Gore wrote:
rens wrote:

It’s out. But I haven’t heard of anyone buying one.

They set the price too high at $900.

Sweetwater still has this as a pre-order. $900 seems high, but then that was the price of the Blofeld keys, and they’re essentially the same build and similar pieces. The STVC will likely be cheaper once released, as well, and cheaper on the secondhand market, bringing it more in line with a reasonable price. If you want that sound, I can see the STVC being worth it.
Unborn Gore
rowsbywoof wrote:
Sweetwater still has this as a pre-order.

Ah. Thanks for clarifying.

I do hope the price drops, as it looks like it has some nice features. I wish that the vocoder would sample then FM the sample withe the string machine. You’d get some crazy tones out of it.
calaveras
I've heard some reports that the STVC is supposed to sound better than the Streichfett. I suppose they may have gone with some better DA conversion. Or some other beefing up or massaging of the output.

I own a Streichfett and have obtained some keeper timbres with it. You have to find a sweet spot in the registration and then carefully dial it in with the effects, animation and envelopes.
It's possible to get an almost Popul Vuh choir sound, as well as the Vox Humana and JD/New Order string sounds. But these are approximations.
I was in Control's store a week or so ago and the old Crumar or Solina that they had up there was much softer, warmer and fatter than the Streichfett. Maybe it's the old circuits and earth toned knobs but I loved the sound so much I almost bought it. Then I remembered how small my place is.

However the Waldorf stringer does get a kind of edgy midforward tone sometimes. Where you really want something softer and more smooth.
So I usually pound it through a UAD LA2a and some vintage EQ or another (I have the whole Neve suite of plugins)
But I've also gotten some very non-stringer, raspy tones from it that I like a lot.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 1