MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Phase or Frequency shifter?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Author Phase or Frequency shifter?
ex_dead_teenager
if you could only have one in a 200e which would you choose and why? I'm really interested in this because I've only got three panels left in my system and while I love phase shifters in general I've actually heard examples of the frequency shifter and it sounds pretty good. I wish I didn't have to choose but I'm going to be forced to soon enough and I'd like to make an informed choice as far as that's possible.

thanks!
A Dingleberry Monstrosity
frequency shifter

phasing goes weeeoooowwwweeeeoowwweeeoooowwweeeooo whereas the frequency shifter goes weeeeeoooooaaaaughhHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

you can always get a phaser pedal.

*edit*

unless the phaser on a buchla is insanely different. seriously, i just don't get it
Malekko
IMO the 297 is one of the best Buchla modules!!! I had the same dilemma..i chose the 297 and certainly dont regret it
w00t w00t w00t
prscrptn
I have owned the 297 and spent some time with a 285e...

The 297 is a great swirling psychedelic comb filter effect and adds another texture like no other Buchla module.

The 285e is wonderful for Klang sounds and the internal oscillators can be used for an additional sound source.

It really comes down to variety... do you want more synthesis or texture?

They're both great modules, that's why Buchla sells the external 2 box! thumbs up
chrisso
My Serge Frequency shifter can do a kind of phasing.
I'm thinking the Buchla could do too.
Patch a sound into the FS, then mix the FS output back with the original sound.
Lower or raise the pitch of the FS slightly, and a phasing sound occurs.
Add modulation to the FS frequency if wanted.
Guidotoons
The 297 is as cool as a phase shifter will ever get... unless it is in stereo!

Speaking of... I'd like to see that! A two channel 297!

The 285 was never "all that" to me. I have had both original and "e" modules. It is a very useful module if you have the room but in a pinch I can replicate some frequency shifting with other stuff.

One space to fill? 297, hands down.

Whatever that is worth...

Guido
prscrptn
chrisso wrote:
...patch a sound into the FS, then mix the FS output back with the original sound. Lower or raise the pitch of the FS slightly, and a phasing sound occurs.

The 210e is great for this patch... thumbs up
amnesia
so hows about a demo of the phaser pleeeeeese
ex_dead_teenager
yah at this point I think someone needs to lay a phaser demo on us. Rockin' Banana!
Malekko
Here are a few quick demos...nothing fancy but showing off the phaser...it is a fantastic comb filter...you can really find some sweet spots...and since the osc depth goes to zero it's super useful
prscrptn
Very nice! Can you explain your patch? Were there any additional effects used?
Malekko
In the balls dry heaving one..i was just messing around with a 281e and the 297 (i just got the 297 when i made this) I think the Osc is a 258V.

On the 2nd one i'm using a 266e driving a Pen/Ratch module driving some envs..one 259e and one 258v then the 259e is going through the 297.
That phaser is magic, as i mentioned above, it is a fantastic filter with some great MEATY sweet spots!!!

w00t w00t
prscrptn
Malekko wrote:
That phaser is magic, as i mentioned above, it is a fantastic filter with some great MEATY sweet spots!!!

agreed... i actually like it better than the 291e! woah
ex_dead_teenager
thanks malekko I really liked those
Malekko
prscrptn wrote:
Malekko wrote:

agreed... i actually like it better than the 291e! woah

+10000000! In fact, i dont have a 291e
Dead Banana
J3RK
prscrptn wrote:
They're both great modules, that's why Buchla sells the external 2 box! thumbs up

Why have I never noticed this one?!? (guess it's because I was too busy looking at the 4 and 6...) I see my entry on the horizon... maybe...
xpander
for my money, the 291e is all about the ability to take any signal and AM/FM/BM it with an audio-rate signal. that there is teh shit.

great thread- i'm about to pull the trigger on the 285e so it's good to hear some opinions weighed against the phaser.
Reptil
wow woah
very different from my Rob Hordijk or Moog or Dynacord.
Actually... different from anything I've heard.

a 2 space box eh?
if I could pair it with some module to make it a little standalone system?? 1,2V bothers me though.. sad banana ambulance It's peanut butter jelly time!
dougcl
Hi guys, I wish I could compare, but I haven't received my 297 yet (can't wait). One thing about the 285e that hasn't been mentioned here is the timbre input on the balanced modulator. You can modulate it with an envelope and get nice morphing effects. Check my Slow Morph videos for example, and the 259e Bells.

I'm not sure I've figured out the 291e yet. It's a wild card. Usually adding it to a patch leads to something interesting.
amnesia
Thanks Maleko :-)

I think I will buy one now :-)

Alessandro did a talk at some university and it was recorded , he did great demo of the phaser
prscrptn
http://cessa.music.concordia.ca/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Presentations.090130 Cortini
ex_dead_teenager
great lecture thanks for posting it
MindMachine
I do not own either of these modules, but I am underwhelmed by the Phaser in most cases. I have not heard the 'Infinite' function in any demos (like the old Bode design did). It sounds nice in some applications and like a stock guitar pedal in others (as most phasers do I think?). For that kind of money, the Serge panel http://www.serge-fans.com/m-class-eq-shift.cfm might be much nicer with the added Resonant EQ... which is awesome.

I think that there is a dearth of demos for the new Buchla Freq Shift/RingMod... I do not recall any.

I mean... for a few bucks you can get a Doepfer A-138 Insert Module and a Boss Pitchshifter and an EH Polyphase and a few others for half the cost and pretty much the same effect. Not the same I know... but devils advocate and all. (edit to add correct link)
dougcl
MindMachine wrote:

I think that there is a dearth of demos for the new Buchla Freq Shift/RingMod... I do not recall any.

Buchla Joe and I have both got 285e videos up on youtube FWIW. I've been doing a lot with the balanced modulator section lately.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge  
Page 1 of 1