MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Oh damn that hurts - Dec 2000 Pricing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Author Oh damn that hurts - Dec 2000 Pricing
Muff Wiggler
MY ASS IS BLEEDING this was on the Wiard ordering page, December 2000 MY ASS IS BLEEDING

sad banana cry very frustrating d'oh! cry sad banana

SMACK!

MY ASS IS BLEEDING sad banana

Dead Banana
parasitk
wow, only 2 weeks too?
Muff Wiggler
cry
Muff Wiggler
if it's some consolation to late-comers like me, for the current 'three times the price' the modules are much more likely to be panel-matched, AND they have 8 years worth of upgrades, tweaks, and new features in the modules. Which I understand in some modules this amounts to a LOT of changes.
Roycie Roller
It's actually less than twice the price to get them now (just pointing out smile ). Special thanks to thetwlo for telling us about the time machine, though try as i might, i simply couldn't find the Weirding module (it sounds like an awesome module!). Which date was that in?
One thing that i was reminded of was Grant's early views on his instrument, ie. that they were hand-crafted works of art with the purpose of creating more art, ie. music. I'm sure he still sees it that way, but looking at the current website, there is little to indicate just how truly special the modules are. I mean, we all know that they are engraved & of the highest quality, but i think that can be lost when someone is comparing specs & prices with other manufacturers.
Nevertheless, the Wiard will go down in history as possibly the finest hand-crafted synthesizer ever made (well, it already is i guess).
Muff Wiggler
I agree!! About the "art that creates more art", and the FINEST handcrafted synthesizer!!

maybe it is more like twice the price, this is true... not so bad. I was comparing this to the pricetag on the system I'm building, which is a little over $10K. But that's a 2-rack system, and the ones in the screenshot are 1-rack systems. So yeah, probably about twice the price.

And, is it not true that the only engraved 300 modules are the 'new' ones? Dual Boogies, Dual Borg II's and "New Filters"? I thought all the 'classic' 300 modules were silkscreened....
Roycie Roller
Actually i'm not sure which are engraved & which are silkscreened. After Grant posted to the wiardgroup that link to the Steampunk page, i wanted to ask him what techniques were used on his own faceplates. Maybe should ask? It could be somewhere in the groups history i guess.
I've always felt that if anything, the modules were underpriced, for what they are. I guess as a product for sale though, it has to compete enough so that people feel they aren't too far out of reach. If they were any less, there'd be Wiard everywhere, but i honestly feel that Grant wants his instruments in the hands of loving owners- and if you genuinely love something, cost becomes, not irrelevant, but less of an issue.
Kwote
i recognized the $200 price hike on things around the time that the 300's were reintroduced. was somewhat bummed but i still say for all he crams behind those 6u skinny panels you get 3 to 5 frac modules worth of good shit.

i'm just beside myself with the whole thing as usual but i'm trying to step my game up.

my saddest regret is i'll never get myself a wiard t-shirt. brings a tear to my eye. *sniff*

Roycie Roller
Yeah, i'm sad about that too. BUT, you do get a certificate of membership in the Loyal Order of the Wogglebug when you get your wogglebug!
Im also realizing a lot more that, while 1 300 module on it's own is functionally dense, combine that with another 300 module & the functionality doesn't just double, it's compounded!
A row of 6 modules will cover, as Grant says, just about any synthesis known to man!
However, i'd love to hear that he's messing around with IC's to create totally new 300's that do synthesis types that are unknown to man!
Kwote
don't forget about your Fez!

plord
Muff Wiggler wrote:
And, is it not true that the only engraved 300 modules are the 'new' ones? Dual Boogies, Dual Borg II's and "New Filters"? I thought all the 'classic' 300 modules were silkscreened....

Correct, only the Dual Borg and Dual Boogies are engraved, the rest are still silkscreened. Or, at least, mine are smile
Muff Wiggler
yeah that's what I thought... in the 'general module specification' section of the Wiard website, where they list the sizes and descriptions of the module packaging, it is mentioned that they are silk screened.
thetwlo
yeah... well, I tried to order one in August of '99 the full deal modules and controller in the wooden case for $2799, tried to send my deposit to Grant for 50%, he wouldn't take it as he thought the wait would be 2 months... a month later I was laid off from work so then.... well... never got it ...hurts.
Kwote
thetwlo wrote:
yeah... well, I tried to order one in August of '99 the full deal modules and controller in the wooden case for $2799, tried to send my deposit to Grant for 50%, he wouldn't take it as he thought the wait would be 2 months... a month later I was laid off from work so then.... well... never got it ...hurts.

do you have a 300 setup now?
thetwlo
nope, never got a 300...sucks, put it off too long after that... long non-exciting story. and now it's kinda hard to pay that much more, that's not fair but it's sadly the truth, I would like to start a 300 system, but at this point some of the Modcan stuff seems more tempting.
Kwote
thetwlo wrote:
nope, never got a 300...sucks, put it off too long after that... long non-exciting story. and now it's kinda hard to pay that much more, that's not fair but it's sadly the truth, I would like to start a 300 system, but at this point some of the Modcan stuff seems more tempting.

it's all good. modcan seems pretty cool. but i've been drooling over wiard for too long to pay attention lol
thetwlo
yeah, i go back and forth, I guess, I say modcan B, as I have some MOTM stuff and it's also good DIY format so I want to do more of that. If I were starting from scratch who knows Modcan has such a huge variety, but some like the Wiard or Buchla is more of an instrument all it's own, if that makes sense. ...too much!
Kwote
yeah. if i were to stay purely in the DIY realm i'd be doing gangbusters. the cost of a full blown 300 system gives you a TON of diy modules.

but, it still won't be a 300 lol
thetwlo
yeah, i go back and forth, I guess, I say modcan B, as I have some MOTM stuff and it's also good DIY format so I want to do more of that. If I were starting from scratch who knows Modcan has such a huge variety, but some like the Wiard or Buchla is more of an instrument all it's own, if that makes sense. ...too much!
Kwote
lol
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Wiard  
Page 1 of 1