MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Modules from the Moon (511D and 524A)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author New Modules from the Moon (511D and 524A)
steffengrondahl
Two new modules has been added to the Moon site:

A dual envelope generator (511 D)

A assitant module for the Quad LFO (524 A)

The dual envelope was is the Moon catalogue from last year (a new one is found here). And on some images on the website too. I've asked Gert long time ago, and he told me, that the two gate inputs will be daisy chained, so you can trigger both envelopes with just one gate and one cable. Nice if you use one envelope for filter and another for amplifier.

The assistant module was promised last year, when the 524 quad LFO was introduced. Now we finally have it. But I don't know what gated LFO is ? hmmm..... Perhaps it means, that LFO output i 0 V as long as the gate input is low (less that 1 V) and fully 10 V peak-to-peak, when a gate (> 1 V) is applied?

I expect John L Rice will give us a lot of details when he returns form NAMM grin

Guinness ftw!
JohnLRice
Wifi in the hotel sucks! angry Moon modules be cool though! thumbs up

The new dual EG has a looping feature.

More soon
JohnLRice
steffengrondahl wrote:
The assistant module was promised last year, when the 524 quad LFO was introduced. Now we finally have it. But I don't know what gated LFO is ? hmmm..... Perhaps it means, that LFO output i 0 V as long as the gate input is low (less that 1 V) and fully 10 V peak-to-peak, when a gate (> 1 V) is applied?
I believe you are correct but to be honest, I forgot to ask Gert or even experiment with that functionality! d'oh!
bwhittington
Anyone know when these are expected at Noisebug? I want a few of the EG's.

Cheers,
Brian
alternating.bit
Unless you live in Europe and are low on power leads, I have no idea why anyone would favor the Moon double EG over two Dotcom EGs.
Moon cost: $280 (shipped to USA close to $310)
Dotcom cost: $184 (shipped within usa: $198)

If there was an added CV control, sure but... I don't get the appeal. seriously, i just don't get it
bwhittington
I think your pricing might be a little bit off. It is 209 euros from Moon, or about $235-ish right now. I imagine it will be priced at about $275 on Noisebug to be consistent with the rest of the 511 series that also costs 209 euros from Moon.

As to differences, the Moon module has a 0-10v range and adds a looping feature and inverted outputs. All three are valuable to me. Plus, I much prefer the 511c's response to the Q109 and assume the 511d will be similar. Drawback: I think the combined trigger thing on the 511d is a little goofy. I enjoy manually firing EG's but don't like the combined trigger. I console myself by thinking I can just wire up a little panel of triggers if I must, because I think its other features are awesome.

Cheers,
Brian
alternating.bit
bwhittington wrote:
I think your pricing might be a little bit off. It is 209 euros from Moon, or about $235-ish right now. I imagine it will be priced at about $275 on Noisebug to be consistent with the rest of the 511 series that also costs 209 euros from Moon.
Cheers,
Brian

Oh, right, I chose the within EU column price by mistake... but then again, if there's a VAT import tax...? Not sure.
Thanks for clarifying that, and for the features.
JohnLRice
I haven't owned either (yet hyper ) so my comments are based mainly on looking at pictures and specs (and briefly caressing a M511D at NAMM but I will deny doing so in a court of law Ninja hihi )

Quote:
shipping cost to USA $30
Shipping from Noisebug to a USA location is typically $15 for a module.

Quote:
the M511D has a 0-10v range
The Q109 can be jumpered for either 0v to +5v or -5v to +5v for what it's worth.

Quote:
the M511D adds a looping feature
hmmm..... seriously, i just don't get it d'oh! I am totally confused on what retrig mode is on the M511D! I was confused before NAMM and I "thought" I cleared it up in my mind at NAMM but now that I'm home, I can't say with confidence what it actually is/does! Dead Banana Is it a looping feature? Or is it just a mode that allows the attack stage to be retriggered before the decay stage has completed (with Normal mode ignoring new triggers until sustain is reached or finished?)? I hope it is a looping mode but I can't recall at all with any confidence . . . . sorry . . . . sad banana

Quote:
I think the combined trigger thing on the 511d is a little goofy. I enjoy manually firing EG's but don't like the combined trigger.
I believe the reason for this i because it is intended to be part of a 'voice set' where you have one EG for the VCF and a different one for the VCA. Having a single manual trigger button for both EGs is an advantage in that case so you can fire the whole voice with a single button instead of trying to do it with two and get the timing perfect. But yeah, if you aren't creating voices like that and want to manually fire each half of the module at different times a work-around would be necessary (external stuff or hack the module and add a second button etc)

I'll try to sum up advantages, feel free to correct my mistakes . . .

Q109 x 2
Lower cost (about $50 less expensive per EG)
Both EGs don't have to be right next to each other
Separate manual button for each EG
Jumper selectable 0v to +5v or -5v to +5v range

M511D
Single manual button fires both EGs
0v to +10v range
Gate indicator LED
Separate Attack, Decay, Release and Sustain phase indicator LEDs
Switch selectable Normal or Retrig modes
Simultaneous positive and negative outputs
Longer Attack, Decay, Release times possible (about twice as long as Q109)
Left hand side EG's gate input is normaled to the right hand side EG's gate input
Inputs and outputs have connection points on the back of the PCB for easy normaling to other modules and buss/switching networks
bwhittington
JohnLRice wrote:
Is it a looping feature? Or is it just a mode that allows the attack stage to be retriggered before the decay stage has completed

Oh, sadness. That would be a major misunderstanding on my part if true. Though the bus features alone will have me on the hook.

Cheers,
Brian
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
JohnLRice wrote:
Is it a looping feature? Or is it just a mode that allows the attack stage to be retriggered before the decay stage has completed

Oh, sadness. That would be a major misunderstanding on my part if true. Though the bus features alone will have me on the hook.

Cheers,
Brian
Never fear, just me being dumb! d'oh! Dead Banana I sent Gert an email and asked for clarification and he said:

"it is looping. AD (from Sustain level to maximum) are repeated as long as Gate is active." w00t hyper
LoveHertz
gosh, eg's are getting more complex these days. i'l have to read all that again to take it in.
Wasnt there a recent thread about all the current VC eg's and the new Corsynth 106? Moon have some unusual features.

Is the one being discussed the same one that has the individual stage outputs?
LoveHertz
ok i see it now
analogjeff
any idea of price?
LoveHertz
well im confused. i have just beeen going thru old posts trying to find one that showed a new EG that had individual trigger outputs at each stage and i was sure it was a new Moon EG but now im not so sure it might have been Cotk. i cant seem to find it in either of the current Moon or Cotk catalogs and now im wondering if i actually saw it at all so maybe it was not an EG module. I'm sure it had indiviidual stage/triggers or gate outputs for each eg segment. Does this ring any bells to anyone? could have sworn it was Moon. hmmm.....
bwhittington
You're thinking of the Marienberg VC EG. Just FYI, the current panels for it are not the standard Moog width.

Cheers,
Brian

bwhittington
analogjeff wrote:
any idea of price?

Here's my idea from earlier in the thread. I imagine it is at least close:

bwhittington wrote:
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
That looks really cool and they have a newer one, envelope Generator B, that is even more sweetly insane! eek! Panel seems somewhat overly crowded and some of the spacing seems odd but maybe the finished product will look ok and make sense in use?

Back to the Moon 511D . . . since there is an LED to indicate activity for each stage it seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to create an expander panel that would provide gate and/or CV outputs for each stage? hmmm.....
bwhittington
woah

VC EG B looks insane. I honestly have no use for that personally, but it makes me happy just knowing that it exists. VC EG A looks dreamy perfect to me, aside for the dealbreaking sticking point being the panel size. I inquired about a custom panel if I ordered a quantity of them a couple of years back, but I was politely rebuffed. They said they were sticking with the irregular size at least until they ran out. Don't know if that ever changed. I suspect not.

Cheers,
Brian
LoveHertz
bwhittington wrote:
woah

VC EG B looks insane. I honestly have no use for that personally, but it makes me happy just knowing that it exists. VC EG A looks dreamy perfect to me, aside for the dealbreaking sticking point being the panel size. I inquired about a custom panel if I ordered a quantity of them a couple of years back, but I was politely rebuffed. They said they were sticking with the irregular size at least until they ran out. Don't know if that ever changed. I suspect not.

Cheers,
Brian

oh right thanks for that brian, i was starting to think i had been hallucinating....and that b version looks insane...maybe tooo much and immediately i see the gate outputs look to be configured a bit differently.
ok.
JohnLRice
bwhittington wrote:
VC EG A looks dreamy perfect to me, aside for the dealbreaking sticking point being the panel size.
Since they are slightly narrower than the Moog standard you could always have Ben at Resynthesis make you custom panels of the proper size then swap the guts over but . . . yeah, makes the total module cost really high! Dead Banana

eek! hmmm..... Hey . . .you could go getto and get er done a lot cheaper if you don't mind some funky looks?

1) buy Marienberg VC EG A
2) buy DotCom or Moon 2U blank
3) remove all parts from VC EG A
4) use VC EG A panel centered behind blank panel as a template to mark drilling points
5) also turn over and mark positions of blank panel mounting holes onto the VC EG A panel hmmm.....
5) drill all holes in blank
6) cut flanges off of the VC EG A panel and smooth edges eek!
7) also drill the DotCom mounting holes into the VC EG A panel seriously, i just don't get it
7) place modified VC EG A panel over the top of the now drilled blank panel and reattach all of the guts!

You should end up with a MU compatible panel with original Marienberg graphics! screaming goo yo w00t The funkiness level may depend on how the Marienberg panel edges are cut and finished.

It might look better to cut off the top and bottom of the panel so you have a somewhat even boarder all the way around the Marienberg panel and no extra holes?
duluthdack
Looping EG's are the absolute best!!!!!
LoveHertz
well i couldnt find any reference to Marienberg module panel size and i spent a good deal of time trying to see what the difference is. they look MU width then i realized it looks like they are taller oddly enough. Where was the b version shown?
I wait and see when they build the english translation site....and prices as someone else surmized was on the (too)high side? oh well.

sorry for the off topic post but I thought it was one of the Moon modules .
LoveHertz
JohnLRice wrote:

[...Since they are slightly narrower than the Moog standard you could always have Ben at Resynthesis make you custom panels of the proper size then swap the guts over but . . . yeah, makes the total module cost really high! Dead Banana

well unless its Motm/Modcan B series panel size I really cant fathom why Marienberg or any company launching a line of modules would choose to adopt yet another panel size format when we already have two main contenders in 5U, and while it may not be technically 5U it certainly isnt euro so what on earth are they thinking.
this alone must put potential customers off,..and yeah after paying a high price for their modules who would be keen to butcher a new module into a custom panel?
I dont see this helping with sales at all.
JohnLRice
LoveHertz wrote:
Where was the b version shown?
In the News section here:
http://marienbergdevices.de/neuigkeiten/

If you use the Google Chrome browser it will translate for you.

EDIT: Also see this thread https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55636 for a 4 page discussion, including this picture of a Marienberg module mounted between a Moon and a COTK module:
LoveHertz
that must have been the only dam header i didnt click on since my internet was so slow tonight. thanks jlr.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3