Abstrakt Instruments - Avalon Bassline

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

spudboyblues
Veteran Wiggler

Post by spudboyblues » Fri May 17, 2019 8:19 pm

Anyone know if these will be in stock anywhere anytime soon? PCA doesn't even seem to display them on their website anymore. Is used the only bet at this point?

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Sun May 19, 2019 5:39 pm

I'm holding out for another production run. Brian is still active and the company recently did the Oberheim thing. There's a bit of info on GS and FB as well.

sl1200mk2
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sl1200mk2 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:41 pm

spudboyblues wrote:Anyone know if these will be in stock anywhere anytime soon? PCA doesn't even seem to display them on their website anymore. Is used the only bet at this point?
Brian recently posted on the FB group that another production run is way behind, but due for "summer" this year. The hardware will be the same revision, but he mentioned a firmware update.

They do pop up fairly regularly for sale, but usually pretty outrageous (IMO) pricing -- think $1800 plus. I was lucky enough to find exactly the color/LED combo I wanted on Ebay that was literally new (unused) at a premium albeit fair price (again IMO). I've seen one since sell for $949, so they are out there if you're diligent, but have to act fast.

I've also been able to find a SEM cart used and the Ladder Filter from Perfect Circuit, but still on the hunt for a R:OTA. I'm glad to hear Brian is doing another run and hopefully that includes cartridges as well.

Sureno
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sureno » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:55 am

Hah yup I just paid $1800 only for Brian to post about the new os (and possible run)a day later. Swings and round abouts hey

On a side note does anyone know the production run numbers of when revisions where changed etc?

mor4sso
Common Wiggler

Post by mor4sso » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:34 pm

just got a killer deal on one of these with a scratchy reso pot. been on the hunt for a while

is this pot something i can scoop on digikey or mouser? cant wait :party:

pantalones
Wiggling with Experience

Post by pantalones » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:07 pm

ha, so you bought the one for $700?

no, you should have done your research first. Gotta contact Brian. Looks like someone already answered you on FB though.

stainers
mopoetrytion

Post by stainers » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:41 pm

For those who missed the FB announcement — New OS

Squeegee
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Abstrakt Instruments - Avalon Bassline

Post by Squeegee » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:01 pm

Hey Y'all,

I'm here about the scratchy pot too. Been trying to contact Brian through any channel I can, but he's been dark for a bit. I'm trying to source a new potentiometer myself and was wondering if someone knew the type/resistance value of pots he originally used? I had a local guy replace the pot and I'm pretty sure the replacement is of inferior quality, as it doesn't have the same subtle resistance to the sweep. Just feels cheap and plastic-y.

Any help would be much appreciated!

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:13 pm

They were custom pots I believe. Brian can be a bit hit and miss getting in touch with. He has said he is working on a new website that will have a proper support section with tickets etc so nothing gets left behind. He's been focussed on the VS-1 release.

The new website is "imminent" but given Brian time I guess just have to wait and see, maybe tomorrow, maybe in a few weeks. He's aware of issues re support and working on making it better which is cool. He does usually deliver on what he says he will, it can just be a bit variable in terms of contact and timelines.

The point of that is to say maybe wait a little bit longer and u can get one from abstrakt soon enough.

Happyanimal
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Happyanimal » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:00 am

phats wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:13 pm

The new website is "imminent" but given Brian time I guess just have to wait and see, maybe tomorrow, maybe in a few weeks.
Maybe a few years.

scrunday
Common Wiggler

Post by scrunday » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:50 am

Squeegee wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:01 pm
Hey Y'all,

I'm here about the scratchy pot too. Been trying to contact Brian through any channel I can, but he's been dark for a bit. I'm trying to source a new potentiometer myself and was wondering if someone knew the type/resistance value of pots he originally used? I had a local guy replace the pot and I'm pretty sure the replacement is of inferior quality, as it doesn't have the same subtle resistance to the sweep. Just feels cheap and plastic-y.

Any help would be much appreciated!
For what its worth, Brian responded to a post I made here about the same issue about a year ago and made it right. With any luck, he'll eventually respond to you via one of the channels you went through.

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 am

Yeah I'm pretty happy to cut him some slack, Abstrakt make wicked stuff and it seems like its really mostly a one-man operation so it must be a lot of stuff to take care of.

davidjames
Wiggling with Experience

Post by davidjames » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:43 am

phats wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:28 am
Yeah I'm pretty happy to cut him some slack, Abstrakt make wicked stuff and it seems like its really mostly a one-man operation so it must be a lot of stuff to take care of.
Agreed. However, IMO it's no excuse for poor communication, there should at least be an acknowledgement of the issue and some semblance of a resolution, or some options. It's also fine to be clear about your warranty, and if buying something used or older than 1 year voids that, also fine. But communication is key, that's where I cut him less slack.

People seem to have different thresholds for poor support, depending on who the manufacturer is. Take for example the Verbos thread, which is flooded with hate comments about poor support/response time and frustrating quirks (and in many cases, legitimate product faults). Seems Brian gets more slack than Mark in this forum, although I suppose its not a 1:1 as Verbos has many more products out in the market, but still interesting... BTW I own most of the Verbos modules and regrettably sold my Avalon and will be buying another one soon, if that shows where my threshold is. Two of my favorite manufacturers in the community.
FS: Bargain Bin updated 8/4, Eloquencer+EME steal, more
viewtopic.php?p=3062675

phats
Common Wiggler

Post by phats » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Yeah and in this day and age its pretty easy/cheap to hire someone remote to answer emails and bring stuff to your attention for follow up from upwork or wherever. It's better for the customer as they get responsive engagement, and better for the provider because it helps them stay on top of things.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:38 pm

Hi, I posted a comparison between the Avalon and the TD-3:

anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by anselmi » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:21 pm

Sweetfiltersweep wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:38 pm
Hi, I posted a comparison between the Avalon and the TD-3:

Is cool to see how close is the TD3 to the Avalon, but for straight 303 sound I think it´s better to compare the TD3 against a real 303

The Avalon have a lot of extra features that I think are what support its price, like a nicer sequencer, the extra synthesis stuff, the connectivity, the filter cartridges and the better construction.

Sweetfiltersweep
Common Wiggler

Post by Sweetfiltersweep » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:22 am

[/quote]

Is cool to see how close is the TD3 to the Avalon, but for straight 303 sound I think it´s better to compare the TD3 against a real 303

The Avalon have a lot of extra features that I think are what support its price, like a nicer sequencer, the extra synthesis stuff, the connectivity, the filter cartridges and the better construction.
[/quote]

That’s right and there are also some other videos on the same channel showing unique sounds to the Avalon.

nonbot
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nonbot » Fri May 01, 2020 1:52 pm

I also blew up my Bassline by plugging in the incorrect power source to it.

Found this handy video from Abstrakt Instruments and am about to take the plunge in replacing the fuse..wish me luck!

Return to “General Gear”