MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers FH-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers FH-1
timmmofa
os wrote:
Not currently. Were you thinking of using MIDI program change for this?

that would make the most sense to me, yes. although via CC one could also start to sequence the presets which might be pretty interesting!
ablearcher
is there a list of gamepad controllers verified to work with the FH-1?

That looks like fun to me but the old Logitech XBOX style controller I occasionally use to play steam games doesn't seem to be recognized by it.

The dualshock 4 mentioned elsewhere looks to be a bit on the pricey side, would a generic playstation 4 compatible controller work? any others?
os
DualShock 4 is all I've tried personally.

'Compatible' ones might work but in my experience they can be a bit patchy.
hyena
i only had a very old very crappy gamepad in house and it wasn't recognized.
but the mouse, oh boy, the mouse to cv\trigs is such fun!!!

i picked up the fh-1 this week mainly to do polyphony and to use old controllers as offsets for various modules (er-301 first).
but i must say it was about a year i was observing the fh-1. i was a bit scared by the manual i must say (even if i'm into gear and midi since about 20 years now).

i think that the comunication about fh-1 might benefit from more explicitly saying that this is basically a plug-n-play module and you just need scripts for very very peculiar customizations. but you neither have to send it pgm change or cc's to change his basic behaviours (only if you want access and control on internal sources-lfos and sequencers).

i know it's in the manual but it doesn't appear as obvious as it should because the operation is so easy and works so great out of the box i feel you have to underline it more! (i say so also considering the massive amounts of questions about custom scripts where you end up solving the problem answering that there's no need of scripts at all in that situation).

this module is awesome, the visual feedback on voltages, the merging of different controllers with or without usb hub.... it deserves more attention than it's got, imho smile
hyena
just a stupid question:
the only odd behaviour i found is with maths and midi to cv\gate conversion.

if i patch a gate out from fh-1 to maths trigger or regular input, i got a double trig. once on the note on and once on the note off.
this doesn't happen with other modules. i don't have a double trig if i ping the strike input of optomix.
i don't have a double trig if i trigger envelopes on the er-301.
i don't have it when i ping the strike input on the FOLD section of the DPO.
is it normal? there's a way to avoid it?
thanks!

EDIT: using the search function i noticed that i'm not the only one and the problem is noted.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175552&sid=6a19f4507 05c7d9c0bbf20931f45f38d
sasbom
You probably have selected "triggers" instead of gates.
If you want triggers, you should look into setting the trigger gate shorter in the settings, you can do that via MIDI I reckon

If you don't want triggers and want a
press - hold - release
attack - sustain - release
type of sound, you should set the midi converter you're using to gate mode
instead of triggers.

You can do this using the tools provided on the site!
Play around with them a bit, set them to exactly the type of converters you want, update via USB stick and enjoy smile

ah sorry, look what I found:

fourhexagons wrote:
I figured it out. Function retriggers when the voltage drops to -5V. It requires a 0-5V signal to work properly.

I had the FHX-1 at default jumper settings and when I had previously tested the jumpers on the FH's, I had only been listening to them (not realizing that listening to the output as audio will always sound like a click at gate on & off). In other words, because I didn't know it would make a difference, I hadn't even tested the 0-5V jumper setting with Function.

So my personal solution is to remove the jumpers from any FH-1/FHX-1 channels that are dedicated to triggers/gates. That's easy for me since I'm using FH-1/FHX-1 in a fixed way. I'm not using the default approach to having the outputs change as different information comes in. I'm essentially hard-wiring each output to a particular MIDI channel and note/cc.

For what it's worth, before solving the puzzle I had compared gates/triggers from various sources being fed into Function. I understand that if I owned a multimeter, I could just measure these modules.

• Gates from FH-1 (with ±10V jumper) – retrigger on negative edge
• Gates from FH-1 (with 0-10V jumper) – literally just sounds like a click
• Gates from FH-1 (with 0-5V jumper) – no retrigger
• Gates from Yarns – no retrigger
• Gates from Disting mk3 (Bank 1-c, Preset 3-b Clockable Gate) – no retrigger
• Square LFO from Batumi – no retrigger
• R-Pulse out of Ultra Random Analog – no retrigger
• Trigger from Tempi – no retrigger
• Square or exponential attack of LFO from Just Friends – no retrigger*

*If the attack is too slow, it won't trigger at all. That is, when adjusting the CURVE parameter on Just Friends in cycle mode.

Presumably, all the other modules are in the 0-5V (or possibly 0-8V range).

Os, thanks for your patience in keeping this thread going long enough for the solution to emerge.

Guinness ftw!
ablearcher
picked up the dualshock 4 just to play with the fh-1. initial impression is great! hyper

the initial plan for the fh-1 was just to use with the digitakt but this is a really intuitive way to jam or zone out on a patch, thanks for putting that in there! we're not worthy
2disbetter
hyena wrote:
just a stupid question:
the only odd behaviour i found is with maths and midi to cv\gate conversion.

if i patch a gate out from fh-1 to maths trigger or regular input, i got a double trig. once on the note on and once on the note off.
this doesn't happen with other modules. i don't have a double trig if i ping the strike input of optomix.
i don't have a double trig if i trigger envelopes on the er-301.
i don't have it when i ping the strike input on the FOLD section of the DPO.
is it normal? there's a way to avoid it?
thanks!

EDIT: using the search function i noticed that i'm not the only one and the problem is noted.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175552&sid=6a19f4507 05c7d9c0bbf20931f45f38d

Just based on your description, all signs point to the Maths as the problem. Looks like Os determined the same thing in the thread you linked:

os wrote:
It seems that these MakeNoise units have a general problem in the design of their gate inputs.

Have you tried changing the FH-1 jumper so the output is 0-5V?

2d
sasbom
Hey erryone

I finally figured out (of course, with VJ's help) how to properly scale my oscillators from Ladik, which I have done using a Korg SQ-1, my computer,
and a disting vco to compare against.

The only problem now, is that I callibrated the FH-1 to work with the wrong
tuning I worked with. Can I reset the callibration?

El Manuel says that callibration is stored in the settings, but resetting those
doesn't do anything.

I'm perfectly ok with manually recalibrating the whole darn thing but I'd rather not, please! So if there's a way to reset it, maybe via a hex or something,
that'd be swell.

Thanks in advance,

Sasbom
os
The manual is correct - resetting the settings (menu H8) resets the calibration.
sasbom
Oh well, I'm going to try again then! Thanks!
Must've done something wrong.

--

Edit:

Works like a charm, just as you've said.
I wasn't sure, if after H8 in the menu is selected the blinking lights
meant a "confirm reset?" or "press if you don't want to reset"
Tried both, and one of them worked :p

Thanks!
ablearcher
I think I'm addicted to using different interfaces with the fh-1

I saw this cheap (under $100!) Kat multipad today:
https://www.katpercussion.com/ktmp1.html

It seems it only transmits on midi channel 10. Using the scripts it looks like I could easily change midi channel 10 on the fh-1 to do triggers/gates with velocity or gate/accent pairs. Would one of those options allow me to have a trigger come out of one output and a cv related to the velocity on the next output when I hit a pad? Is there a better way to do this?

Anyone using a different percussion interface with the fh-1?
os
I think you would want to set up a MIDI/CV converter per pad, responding to one note only. Then each converter could have a trigger and a velocity output.
Sleipnir
Is there a way to enable CC7 (mod wheel) without scripting?
I believe I understand that script configs can’t be saved as a preset, correct?

Why oh why don’t any of the standard setups allow mod wheel? waah

Edit:will this be the case for the FH-2 as well?
os
Mod wheel is CC1. Since CCs have a predefined function on the FH-1, you would need to use a script if the predefined mod wheel behaviour is not what you want.

In this FH-2 video I set up a mod wheel at about 1:27:

Funky40
os, since i just had a talk about the FH-1 vs. FH-2 and the euclidean Sequenzing was mentioned:
this would be really cool if you could add that one into the FH-1 as well.

might make it worth to hold on the FH-1 just for this one while going for a FH-2 for better handling of complex USB-midi2Cv things
Supervillain
Hello,

Asking myself something ...

Would it be possible to have 2 devices connected via a usb talking to each other ?
e.g. connect both a squarp pyramid and a midi keyboard to the FH-1 with a classic usb hub, and make the pyramid "listen" to the midi keyboard notes
os
If you did that, both devices could talk to the FH-1. But for the Pyramid to receive the keyboard MIDI, the FH-1 would have to route the MIDI between devices, which is not something it does currently.
Supervillain
cry cry cry
os
You could achieve this with an iConnectivity thing like the mio2.
savethisrocketship
UPDATE EDIT: it took a while but a majority of the problem came down to having recently updated both the Pyramid & FH-1 Firmware, the Pyramid one wiped a bunch of my settings (wasn't sending clock to FH-1) and I must have bumped something accidentally while updating the FH-1 and I just kept compounding problems trying to correct it. Anyways, for my specific need I found a lot of the information needed in this thread, mostly towards the end:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180598&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0&sid=8e98542b8cd9dd6b9d83355158f9729c

I hate to be this person, but I've been trying to read through the FH-1 manual & the manual of my sequencer and I'm just not getting anywhere, so if anyone with the know-how could spare a minute to help me out that would be much appreciated.

Short version:
I want to change ANY 2 outputs on FH-1 to transmit the External Midi Clock and the Start/Stop messages from my Squarp Pyramid.

Longer version:
I've been using Squarp Pyramid & FH-1 together with the default setting (4 channels of 1v/oct & gate pairs) and it's been great. I'm looking to scale back a bit and am finally trying to dive in to editing the FH-1 so that I can get clock and start/stop messages from Pyramid through any 2 of the FH-1s outputs. All the other outputs can stay at 1v/oct & gates as they've been. I thought I had an OK handle on Midi but I keep going around in circles and I'm not sure if my problem is on the Squarp end or the FH-1 end, but it SEEMS like there's a way right in the FH-1 menu to enable the external clock to pass, but I haven't manged to get it to work.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. help
izmond
I want to buy an FH1 to use my OP-Z as a sequencer for the modular. I've seen people talking about this and there are a lot of dropped notes and bad sync. I guess one dude got it working-ish, he used some wireless midi routing app on an ios device and an imidi connecter from the apple to the FH1. That's too much stuff to get... With both devices having so many configurable midi parameters, it seems like it should be doable. Does anybody have any thoughts on this or suggestions?
os
If you're sending MIDI from the OP-Z to convert to CV, that should be fine.

The OP-1 and OP-Z apparently tend to crash when receiving MIDI clock from the FH-1, but I'm not aware of problems just sending notes from the OP.
bodydouble
Tried posting this in the FH-1/Digitakt thread to no avail, hoping to get a clear answer from the ES people here perhaps?

"Has anyone had any luck using the clock in to clock the Digitakt (or any other midi device)?

I tried it this weekend and there was a ton of latency, felt like a quarter second. Any advice?"

Just curious if this is expected behavior.
os
No, I wouldn't expect that much latency.

What was clocking the FH-1 in this scenario?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 12 of 13