Expert Sleepers FH-1

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

bodydouble
Common Wiggler

Post by bodydouble » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:02 am

Thanks for your reply!

Pam's New Workout was clocking the FH-1.

bodydouble
Common Wiggler

Post by bodydouble » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:16 am

EDIT: Apologies, double-post.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:50 am

Should be OK. When you say latency, what do you mean exactly? E.g a delay between Pam's starting and the Digitakt starting?

bodydouble
Common Wiggler

Post by bodydouble » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:16 am

Not at the setup right now, but it sounded like when they were both running, the eurorack voices I had going were completely out of phase with the digitakt sound, like they weren't lined up.

izmond
Common Wiggler

Post by izmond » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:36 pm

os wrote:If you're sending MIDI from the OP-Z to convert to CV, that should be fine.

The OP-1 and OP-Z apparently tend to crash when receiving MIDI clock from the FH-1, but I'm not aware of problems just sending notes from the OP.
os, I'm trying it out right now, the opz is configured to only send "midi out"(no clock out, no clock in, no cc's). I'm using midi channels 1-4 for the four melodic tracks on the opz. Playing a sequence on midi ch 1 works great, maybe one dropped note out of every 128 or so. As soon as I play a sequence on any other opz track, it causes not only notes dropping from the sequence on ch1(like ch2 is muting ch1's gate signal), but also crazy retriggering on the second sequence. It's like the fh1 is sending two gates for note on and two gates for note off.

I, just tonight, updated to the newest fh1 firmware... I couldn't even get a consistent sequence on ch1 with whatever firmware was on it when it arrived.

Any suggestions would be welcome and immediately executed. I have high hopes for this setup. Thanks.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:32 am

udbhav wrote:Was reading about Maschinio earlier, and am wondering if that library would be applicable/adaptable to the FH-1's hardware platform. At the very least, all the annoying work of reverse engineering NI's messaging structure has been/is being done.

Maschine's hardware + 8 CV outs.... :banana:

Os, are you planning on making the FH-1 reprogrammable in a way similar to the Disting? Don't expect you to spend all your time writing a completely alternate firmware, but would be cool if the opportunity was available to somebody else. Just idle dreams really.
Anyone know if I can use the FH-1 to convert the Maschine into a standalone Midi drumpad?

I currently use the Maschine Mk3 as decor for my studio setup.

ablearcher
Veteran Wiggler

Post by ablearcher » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:30 am

I've been doing some polyphonic patching lately, using the keystep with the FH-1 as my usb midi to CV converter and getting a -lot- of hanging/stuck notes.

I noticed there is a new firmware but details on what it covers are pretty slim, is this addressed or am I missing something?

skylab001
Common Wiggler

Post by skylab001 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:35 am

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
udbhav wrote:Was reading about Maschinio earlier, and am wondering if that library would be applicable/adaptable to the FH-1's hardware platform. At the very least, all the annoying work of reverse engineering NI's messaging structure has been/is being done.

Maschine's hardware + 8 CV outs.... :banana:

Os, are you planning on making the FH-1 reprogrammable in a way similar to the Disting? Don't expect you to spend all your time writing a completely alternate firmware, but would be cool if the opportunity was available to somebody else. Just idle dreams really.
Anyone know if I can use the FH-1 to convert the Maschine into a standalone Midi drumpad?

I currently use the Maschine Mk3 as decor for my studio setup.

Well, I believe it will always need to be plugged into a computer, even when using it with a midi template. I use Maschine everyday with an FH-1 and it works great.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:39 am

Since I don't have a midi usb-din hub, i am outputting the cv's from the fh-1 into the General CV and then connecting that using the midi breakout into my Roland Juno DS88 so I can control it with my Roli Seaboard Block. This only seems to support monophonic playing.

Or have I completely done something wrong? Do I need to set this using a script?

Also, glide doesn't seem to work - i.e. I can't change to a different pitched note on the Roli without releasing the current note. I have the pitch out cv from the fh-1 input into the v/oct cv on Plaits.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:04 am

I'm having trouble getting the Touche SE working with the FH-1. I used the same script as Carl Mikael in his video (using a hex file generated by the online script generator) and made sure that it uses cc's 16-19 on channel 1. The Touche works when I plug it into a iconnectivitymidi4+ but not the FH-1. Everything else I use (ps4 controller, usb mouse, roli seaboard) works just fine.

soundshaper
Common Wiggler

Post by soundshaper » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:55 pm

os wrote:
Hi. We're hoping to use the FH-1 with expander for a special setup. Could you please let me know if this is configurable?

We're planning to use a Roland electronic drum kit to trigger eurorack drum modules. We need 7 Trigger Outputs with 7 Velocity Outputs, and also a CC to CV output for the the foot controller (CC#4) to modulate hi-hat decay, and lastly a clock output. The FH-1 will connect to an iPad via iConnectivity iConnectAudio4+, which will be sending the MIDI data to the FH-1 via USB. The Roland drum brain is connected to the iConnect via DIN and forwarded to the USB.
Thanks.

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Expert Sleepers FH-1

Post by vqlk » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:14 pm

hey,
am i right that the fh1 can receive midi input from a computer while at the same time sending the computer a midi clock, so that the x input can sync the computer with the synth. rather than vice versa? does any other module or device do this?
i'm out, go circle someone else's corpse.

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:21 am

Os, can i send an analog clock and reset into the x y inputs and the fh1 will transmit that clock as midi clock to the connected midi devices?
I have two monome fates connected trough a usb hub and a sevillasoft usb to host and its working great (meaning i can sequence analog gear from the midi sequencers inside this devices), but the timing is ableton link based and im not able to reset, stop start clock on the sequencers inside this monome diy devices. Was wondering if pluging a clock signal and reset into x and y inputs of the fh1 will alllow the fh1 to send to this usb midi devices, tempo / start stop messages as midi messages. That woyld be a ace!
Thanks Os!

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:08 am

are you asking the same question as me? uncanny :D

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:15 am

vqlk wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:08 am
Looks like! Im such a copy cat ;)

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:16 am

djthopa wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:15 am
vqlk wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:08 am
Looks like! Im such a copy cat ;)
i will take full credit for everything you achieve in your life :goo:

djthopa
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by djthopa » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:20 am

:party: And for my fails too? Then im in!

vqlk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by vqlk » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:23 am

djthopa wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:20 am
:party: And for my fails too? Then im in!
ah but we'll never find out if it works

Return to “Eurorack Modules”