Expert Sleepers FH-1

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:18 am

There's a work-in-progress user manual here:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1usermanual.html

blandoon
Common Wiggler

Post by blandoon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:52 pm

This thing looks amazing. I am looking forward to trying it with a Beatstep Pro once that thing ships and my budget recovers. :omg:

And it is very smart to allow USB power from the 5V rail, as Arturia says the Pro will consume up to 500mA if all the outputs are in use.

blandoon
Common Wiggler

Post by blandoon » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:53 pm

oops, I forgot the question I was going to ask:

Any plans for a Grayscale panel for this, as with the Disting?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:09 am

You'd have to ask the grayscale guys. I'll certainly give them the design files if they ask.

blandoon
Common Wiggler

Post by blandoon » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:57 pm

To follow up on my question above, I did ask Grayscale, and they are concentrating on new products of their own right now (don't suppose I can blame them) and not planning to do an alternate FH-1 panel.

They recommended I ask for the design files myself, but I think I'll hold off on that until I get out from under the monstrous backlog of other things I need to finish :omg:

scozbor
100th Member!

Post by scozbor » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:28 pm

Can anyone confirm if you can run silentway plugs (etc) using the FH1?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:19 am

No. Silent Way outputs CVs over audio. The FH-1 is not an audio interface.

Well, you could run Silent Way plug-ins, and use Silent Way CV To MIDI to convert to MIDI to send to the FH-1, but that would seem a roundabout way to do things.

cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:41 am

Anyone know which US retailers will get this guy?

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:43 am

Detroit, Control, Control Voltage, Foxtone, Perfect Circuit, Analogue Haven for starters.

cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:48 am

Lol, thanks. I have my game face on for this one :hyper:

midirobot
Common Wiggler

fh 1

Post by midirobot » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:48 pm

ciao:)
really interested by this modules,to replace my midi2cv,
for using it with my octatrack,somebody already test it?
is it working well?
thanks

Biff
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Biff » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:17 pm

Edit: found my answer

cannonball swandive
Veteran Wiggler

Post by cannonball swandive » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:22 pm

Mine is on its way :yay:

phosfiend
Wiggling with Experience

Post by phosfiend » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:12 pm

Trying to decide between this and an Endorphin.es Shuttle Control mainly to be used from a computer. Would love to see more 'from a computer' info/examples - the documentation definitely presents it as a device first thing, but using it from a computer would definitely appeal to me. That plus expansion of course!
I made a videogame inspired by synths called FRACT OSC. It's like Myst meets Rez but inside a giant 8 voice synth - WWW.FRACTGAME.COM

L.C.O.
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by L.C.O. » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:30 pm

So, any info on the OP-1 integration possibilities?

Specifically: can the OP-1 be clocked from this module?

Smais
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Smais » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:10 pm

I am trying to use this directly over USB with Ableton but I don't really understand how. It's not showing up as a device I can send Midi on Ableton. Is there a way I can send Midi to it from Ableton?

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:26 pm

clocking now my octa from the FH-1
:sb:

if anybody ever has wondered how to make the octa going faster..............;) :lol:
For sale:........it won´t sell, so i stopp bother you ;)

jarvis
concerned with insignificances

Post by jarvis » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:16 pm

I got an fh-1 yesterday and the first thing I tried to figure out was how to clock my octatrack too

now to see what kind of tempo modulation we can get between the modular and the octatrack...

Dogma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Dogma » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:36 pm

Is there a good demo of this coming? I always avoided MIDI as much as I could but the Ios intergration is SOOOOOO tempting...
look up!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Dogma wrote:Is there a good demo of this coming? I always avoided MIDI as much as I could but the Ios intergration is SOOOOOO tempting...
There are a ton of demos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/expertsleepers/videos

If they're not "good" let me know what you want to see.
Smais wrote:I am trying to use this directly over USB with Ableton but I don't really understand how. It's not showing up as a device I can send Midi on Ableton. Is there a way I can send Midi to it from Ableton?
It's not a device, it's a host. How have you even got the two connected? Using the FH-1 with a computer or iOS device requires something in between, e.g. an iConnectivity device or inline USB/DIN converters - as in the videos above.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:41 am

Dogma wrote:Is there a good demo of this coming? I always avoided MIDI as much as I could but the Ios intergration is SOOOOOO tempting...
Maybe I'm missing something regarding the FH-1 but what is the ios integration that you're speaking of? If "integration" means you can directly connect a usb cord (to say nothing of the fact that both FH-1 and your ios device are usb hosts so an intermediate connector box is required), that just seems like a really low bar to define as "integration."

As far as I can tell, these types of modules (Shuttle Control too) with usb ports are really just glorified midi-to-cv converters. I know a lot of people here look to avoid using a computer in their setup, but I can achieve the same results in terms of midi connectivity by going ipad into computer, computer to soundcard, soundcard to midi-to-cv module (HexInverter Midi2CV specifically).

tehyar
I dream in SciFi

Post by tehyar » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:29 am

If by glorified you mean replacing all those steps and parts by a single small interface with lower latency (less steps) that powers teh device and you can quickly attach it, then yes - very glorious. You can definitely do this with more devices, or a direct midi adapter which wouldn't power the ipad. I think you nailed it!

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:37 am

jzwoopwoop wrote:I know a lot of people here look to avoid using a computer in their setup, but I can achieve the same results in terms of midi connectivity by going ipad into computer, computer to soundcard, soundcard to midi-to-cv module (HexInverter Midi2CV specifically).
Of course you can. (Even better would be sound card to audio-based Expert Sleepers module :) ) The point of the FH-1 though is that you can use it without a computer.

jzwoopwoop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jzwoopwoop » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:11 am

tehyar wrote:If by glorified you mean replacing all those steps and parts by a single small interface with lower latency (less steps) that powers teh device and you can quickly attach it, then yes - very glorious. You can definitely do this with more devices, or a direct midi adapter which wouldn't power the ipad. I think you nailed it!
os wrote:Of course you can. (Even better would be sound card to audio-based Expert Sleepers module :) ) The point of the FH-1 though is that you can use it without a computer.
I totally get it, and I do see the value in completely avoiding computer integration. For my personal setup (e.g. soundcard with midi io capabilities and not needing my overall rig to be portable), it's just not as helpful. I don't mind using my computer as a central hub, and my modular sits right next to my computer in my home studio. But totally get that mileage may vary depending on individual needs, etc etc.

And os, when I first started my modular about 6 months ago, I put tons and tons of thoughts on whether to go Expert Sleepers or not. But my soundcard only has SPDIF and not ADAT, so I decided against it - but only after tons of thought and deliberation.

But ultimately, the biggest issue for me is routing of audio processed by ios device back into the modular, and if we're talking direct plug-and-play modules, that's something that only ODIO has addressed so far. Or, what I'm more likely to purchase, is just a line level to modular level module (e.g. Gozinta, SBG, etc) and continue to use computer / soundcard as central routing hub.

Southfork
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Southfork » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:03 am

Seem to be out of stock everywhere in UK at the moment. Any plans for a second batch?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”