MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers FH-1
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Expert Sleepers FH-1
os
I was going to add this to the existing 5 page thread, but it appears to have vanished into the ether. Oh well.

Anyway. Here's me talking to Sonic State about the FH-1 at NAMM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgQnR1UgsH4

And a reminder of the FH-1's page: http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1.html
Citisyn
Really looking forward to this module! Any idea on price?
sushiluv
this is a must-buy.
mt3
I was wondering about the price too.
we're not worthy
Jahbo
Super exiting! One of the best new modules from namm in my opinion.... Ditto for the price question? ... And a release date?
udbhav
Can it host multiple devices simultaneously via a usb hub?
os
Still working on the price. Release should be April-ish.

No hub support yet but I may be able to add it.
Atman Charlatan
applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause applause
bkbirge
Nice, looks like a nice solution for the OP-1 among other things.
GryphonP3
So the USB socket runs 2 ways? I.e I could clock the FH-1 to a clock module, use an iPad sequencer, and have the sequencer receive clock from the FH-1 over USB to run in time (+ start/stop/reset?) with the euro clock?
os
Yes, once I've actually implemented MIDI clock in the FH-1 firmware (and assuming your iPad sequencer receives MIDI clock).
Dogma
so how are things like LFO type and shape chosen for instance? Im trying to work out how you program it without a computer or is it neccessary? its the missing piece for me...
os
Different MIDI CCs access different functions. You don't program the FH-1, you program the controller.
Lukeai
Any chance you can hook up an OT to the FH-1?
That would be a fantastic combination!
os
An OT?
rove74
I think what is meant by OT is Octatrack, which has midi IO but no USB (the USB is just for sample transfers).
I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a simple usb-midi cable, or via an iconnectmidi.
Lukeai
Sorry Os, I meant Octatrack.

Rove74, that was my whole thinking.
Having the midi out to a midi to usb converter and getting those 8 midi tracks with parameter locks working for the modular cause.

Really flexible solution and still allowing you to stay away from the computer... Guinness ftw!
sgventil
Can you use Silent Way with this Module? That would be fantastic!
Matos
Lukeai
For that use I'd get a yarns. This seems more geared to usb controllers. That's my octa solution.
rove74
Matos wrote:
Lukeai
For that use I'd get a yarns. This seems more geared to usb controllers. That's my octa solution.

While Yarns seems great, the FH-1 is only 8hp (vs 12hp) and it offers 8 CV outs rather than the 4 (4CV, 4 Gate) on Yarns that can be used as LFOs and sequencers and it seems it would work great with the one cable (midi to USB).
We shall see when it hits the shops, but it seems it would be a very nice Octatrack companion, vs any other current options.
Lukeai
Again, I do agree with you rove74.

While Yarns is a great midi to CV/Gate interface, the FH-1 seems to be a swiss army knife. Having those 8 CV outs seems like a better option to me.

Not to mention the whole bunch of new possibilities the FH-1 brings over.

What a fantastic brilliant idea Mr. Os.
Hats off to you! we're not worthy
Dogma
rove74 wrote:
Matos wrote:
Lukeai

While Yarns seems great, the FH-1 is only 8hp (vs 12hp) and it offers 8 CV outs rather than the 4 (4CV, 4 Gate) on Yarns that can be used as LFOs and sequencers and it seems it would work great with the one cable (midi to USB).
We shall see when it hits the shops, but it seems it would be a very nice Octatrack companion, vs any other current options.

the OT- Octatrack - is the reason Im interested in this. Turns my fave sequencer into a direct CV sequencer with Plocks and 8 tracks of 64 steps, ect, ect ,ect
mOBiTh
so could we plug the octatrack straight into the fh1??
Dogma
mOBiTh wrote:

No - the OT uses the USB for data transfer only. The iconnect midi would be the best bet.
Its class compliant (the OT) so it would work if there was midi transmitted over USB - thats one thing din ins/outs on the front. Total solution.
mOBiTh
Dogma wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:

No - the OT uses the USB for data transfer only. The iconnect midi would be the best bet.
Its class compliant (the OT) so it would work if there was midi transmitted over USB - thats one thing din ins/outs on the front. Total solution.

got it smile
Funky40
do we know the $ ballpark ?
would like to get a rough idea hyper
Willis3000
sgventil wrote:

I dont have adat so would love to work with Silent Way over USB.

Amazing products btw
sgventil
Likewise! Is that something that can be implemented?

Willis3000 wrote:
sgventil wrote:

I dont have adat so would love to work with Silent Way over USB.

Amazing products btw
bkinsman
really looking forward to seeing this in action with an op1
JES
bkinsman wrote:

+1

Oh, and edit: couldn't the M Audio Uno or something similar also work to get the Octatrack in?
rove74
JES wrote:
bkinsman wrote:

+1

Oh, and edit: couldn't the M Audio Uno or something similar also work to get the Octatrack in?

I believe so as these types of USB/midi interfaces are class compliant.
extra testicle
can it hold voltages? i'm wondering if it could be used with like 1 knob and 2 buttons moving up and down to set the levels to set things precisely. then maybe the clock in could move through the outs and turn them on and off..

oh, interpolation between outs? like set 1+8 and it fills in the rest linearly or with a curve?

anyway. seems really cool! i can imagine a lot of uses outside of euro too, like cv ins on pedals or click in on drum machines.
L.C.O.
bkinsman wrote:

Me too!

IF I can clock Op-1 using this (have Op-1 synced to my modular) I am definitely buying this!
Strange_Days
Im a bit slow i guess, but can you connect the FH-1 directly to a computer via usb and then control the module from a DAW?
os
Strange_Days wrote:
Im a bit slow i guess, but can you connect the FH-1 directly to a computer via usb and then control the module from a DAW?

Yes, in the same way you can connect a iPad (as in my demo videos).
mt3
os wrote:
Strange_Days wrote:

Odd, I assumed this wasn't possible due to the fact that it was never mentioned once!
This would be its #1 selling point, and suggest you explicitly highlight this.
Rockin' Banana!
sgventil
Can you use Silent Way with this module?
os wrote:
Strange_Days wrote:

Strange_Days
os wrote:
Strange_Days wrote:

Thanks for the reply os. I watched your video. Just started to wonder about that connectvity thingie you used to connect the ipad, if it had some special functionality needed. But then its just there to make the physical connection possible smile
udbhav
Was reading about Maschinio earlier, and am wondering if that library would be applicable/adaptable to the FH-1's hardware platform. At the very least, all the annoying work of reverse engineering NI's messaging structure has been/is being done.

Maschine's hardware + 8 CV outs.... It's peanut butter jelly time!

Os, are you planning on making the FH-1 reprogrammable in a way similar to the Disting? Don't expect you to spend all your time writing a completely alternate firmware, but would be cool if the opportunity was available to somebody else. Just idle dreams really.
os
I'm considering open sourcing the whole thing. Even if not, software updates via a USB flash drive are possible, so if someone does do a custom version it will be easier to distribute.
M4R71N
Already have a CV pal but I will definitively switch with that one. I hope external controller use will be as easy to use as they said.
weskline
Any news on when the FH-1 might hit the states?
os
Looking like early May now.
Nofrenchtests
os wrote:
Looking like early May now.

This is great news! Look forward to seeing a list of tested midi equipment!
Dion
This module is gonna be mandatory applause
weskline
Great news! Thanks for the reply OS...
kstl
It's already available in some place?
os
No not yet. Just finishing the firmware and getting a couple beta tested.
kstl
thanks for the info! looking forward for one thumbs up
rove74
There's already an expander module, the FHX-1, with eight more outputs on it--and up to seven (!) can be added to a single FH-1.
Looking forward to hearing more details on the functionality of the FH-1...
os
There's a work-in-progress user manual here:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1usermanual.html
blandoon
This thing looks amazing. I am looking forward to trying it with a Beatstep Pro once that thing ships and my budget recovers. MY ASS IS BLEEDING

And it is very smart to allow USB power from the 5V rail, as Arturia says the Pro will consume up to 500mA if all the outputs are in use.
blandoon
oops, I forgot the question I was going to ask:

Any plans for a Grayscale panel for this, as with the Disting?
os
You'd have to ask the grayscale guys. I'll certainly give them the design files if they ask.
blandoon
To follow up on my question above, I did ask Grayscale, and they are concentrating on new products of their own right now (don't suppose I can blame them) and not planning to do an alternate FH-1 panel.

They recommended I ask for the design files myself, but I think I'll hold off on that until I get out from under the monstrous backlog of other things I need to finish MY ASS IS BLEEDING
scozbor
Can anyone confirm if you can run silentway plugs (etc) using the FH1?
os
No. Silent Way outputs CVs over audio. The FH-1 is not an audio interface.

Well, you could run Silent Way plug-ins, and use Silent Way CV To MIDI to convert to MIDI to send to the FH-1, but that would seem a roundabout way to do things.
cannonball swandive
Anyone know which US retailers will get this guy?
os
Detroit, Control, Control Voltage, Foxtone, Perfect Circuit, Analogue Haven for starters.
cannonball swandive
Lol, thanks. I have my game face on for this one hyper
midirobot
ciao:)
really interested by this modules,to replace my midi2cv,
for using it with my octatrack,somebody already test it?
is it working well?
thanks
Biff
Edit: found my answer
cannonball swandive
Mine is on its way applause
phosfiend
Trying to decide between this and an Endorphin.es Shuttle Control mainly to be used from a computer. Would love to see more 'from a computer' info/examples - the documentation definitely presents it as a device first thing, but using it from a computer would definitely appeal to me. That plus expansion of course!
L.C.O.
So, any info on the OP-1 integration possibilities?

Specifically: can the OP-1 be clocked from this module?
Smais
I am trying to use this directly over USB with Ableton but I don't really understand how. It's not showing up as a device I can send Midi on Ableton. Is there a way I can send Midi to it from Ableton?
Funky40
clocking now my octa from the FH-1
SlayerBadger!

if anybody ever has wondered how to make the octa going faster..............wink lol
jarvis
I got an fh-1 yesterday and the first thing I tried to figure out was how to clock my octatrack too

now to see what kind of tempo modulation we can get between the modular and the octatrack...
Dogma
Is there a good demo of this coming? I always avoided MIDI as much as I could but the Ios intergration is SOOOOOO tempting...
os
Dogma wrote:
Is there a good demo of this coming? I always avoided MIDI as much as I could but the Ios intergration is SOOOOOO tempting...

There are a ton of demos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/expertsleepers/videos

If they're not "good" let me know what you want to see.

Smais wrote:
I am trying to use this directly over USB with Ableton but I don't really understand how. It's not showing up as a device I can send Midi on Ableton. Is there a way I can send Midi to it from Ableton?

It's not a device, it's a host. How have you even got the two connected? Using the FH-1 with a computer or iOS device requires something in between, e.g. an iConnectivity device or inline USB/DIN converters - as in the videos above.
jzwoopwoop
Dogma wrote:

Maybe I'm missing something regarding the FH-1 but what is the ios integration that you're speaking of? If "integration" means you can directly connect a usb cord (to say nothing of the fact that both FH-1 and your ios device are usb hosts so an intermediate connector box is required), that just seems like a really low bar to define as "integration."

As far as I can tell, these types of modules (Shuttle Control too) with usb ports are really just glorified midi-to-cv converters. I know a lot of people here look to avoid using a computer in their setup, but I can achieve the same results in terms of midi connectivity by going ipad into computer, computer to soundcard, soundcard to midi-to-cv module (HexInverter Midi2CV specifically).
tehyar
If by glorified you mean replacing all those steps and parts by a single small interface with lower latency (less steps) that powers teh device and you can quickly attach it, then yes - very glorious. You can definitely do this with more devices, or a direct midi adapter which wouldn't power the ipad. I think you nailed it!
os
jzwoopwoop wrote:
I know a lot of people here look to avoid using a computer in their setup, but I can achieve the same results in terms of midi connectivity by going ipad into computer, computer to soundcard, soundcard to midi-to-cv module (HexInverter Midi2CV specifically).

Of course you can. (Even better would be sound card to audio-based Expert Sleepers module smile ) The point of the FH-1 though is that you can use it without a computer.
jzwoopwoop
tehyar wrote:
If by glorified you mean replacing all those steps and parts by a single small interface with lower latency (less steps) that powers teh device and you can quickly attach it, then yes - very glorious. You can definitely do this with more devices, or a direct midi adapter which wouldn't power the ipad. I think you nailed it!

os wrote:
Of course you can. (Even better would be sound card to audio-based Expert Sleepers module smile ) The point of the FH-1 though is that you can use it without a computer.

I totally get it, and I do see the value in completely avoiding computer integration. For my personal setup (e.g. soundcard with midi io capabilities and not needing my overall rig to be portable), it's just not as helpful. I don't mind using my computer as a central hub, and my modular sits right next to my computer in my home studio. But totally get that mileage may vary depending on individual needs, etc etc.

And os, when I first started my modular about 6 months ago, I put tons and tons of thoughts on whether to go Expert Sleepers or not. But my soundcard only has SPDIF and not ADAT, so I decided against it - but only after tons of thought and deliberation.

But ultimately, the biggest issue for me is routing of audio processed by ios device back into the modular, and if we're talking direct plug-and-play modules, that's something that only ODIO has addressed so far. Or, what I'm more likely to purchase, is just a line level to modular level module (e.g. Gozinta, SBG, etc) and continue to use computer / soundcard as central routing hub.
Southfork
Seem to be out of stock everywhere in UK at the moment. Any plans for a second batch?
os
They just shipped out to uk stores today.
Southfork
And as if by magic... SlayerBadger!
robbert
Great, I ordered one a few days ago. Hope there's one for me
TheSolenoids
Excellent news. I've been waiting and wondering if it had become unobtainium.
Southfork
Quick question, is there anyway to connect an iPad directly without use of a computer? Can't really find any apps or info for sending core midi over direct connect USB. Iconnect2 will do it but that requires a computer in the middle which is a shame sad banana
NoSix
Southfork wrote:
Quick question, is there anyway to connect an iPad directly without use of a computer? Can't really find any apps or info for sending core midi over direct connect USB. Iconnect2 will do it but that requires a computer in the middle which is a shame sad banana

Iconnect midi requires a computer to configure the midi routing, after that you can use it stand alone. OS has pointed out in other posts that you can achieve connection cheaper with two of these back to back:

Southfork
Thanks, will read through the thread thumbs up
Southfork
double post
os
Southfork wrote:

NoSix has this covered but here's a video just for good measure.

Southfork
os wrote:
Southfork wrote:

NoSix has this covered but here's a video just for good measure.

Ah this actually leads onto a question I asked in the expert sleepers forum. Have you tested the iconnectmidi2 connected to the iPad and Fh-1 without using a host computer? If this doesn't work I'll buy bits for the back to back thomann USB converters Mr. Green
os
There's no host computer in that video.
_seph
Can one use an APC40 with the FH-1? I haven't found any mention of the pairing.
os
The Akai website suggests it's class compliant, so it ought to be OK. I've not heard from anyone using one though.
_seph
odd, seems like a good option. it doesn't require a driver and it would be very cool were it capable of functioning in a similar manner as your LaunchpadXL sequencing demo with its grid, sliders and knobs. I imagine there are others who find their APC mostly redundant since Push.

and any chance that hub functionality might still be implemented? would that make it possible to simply purchase an expander for each additional USB device? or if I'd like to use both an iPad and something like an APC and/or another MIDI controller, would I yet need multiple FH-1's?
os
You can use something like the iConnectMIDI2+ right now to connect multiple MIDI devices together (including an FH-1).
mudlogger
any idea when they ship to analog haven?
os
Could be next week.
mudlogger
os wrote:
Could be next week.

thanks thumbs up
tweaka
any news re OP-1 compatability ?
os
I think it's been widely reported as compatible. What specifically were you after?
tweaka
sync from DAW i use es3 to drive modular would be nice to integrate the op-1
os
Can you not just connect the OP-1 to the DAW with a USB cable?
tweaka
and also sync from op-1 to modular without DAW
sorry to be vague i often jam without daw and either use
pams workout or tanzbar as the master just trying to work out
my options and what FH-1 could bring to the party, my OP-1
is mainly used as a toy when i'm sciving in work or a holiday
toy to get some ideas down and escape the boredom of sunbathing !
os
OK. The FH-1 will receive MIDI clock from the OP-1 and output a clock.
tweaka
Thanks os FH-1 looks to be a perfect do all solution for me
greenanother
Posted this elsewhere, but thought it might be more appropriate here:

os

I see that the FH-1 arp can output various scales, but it's not clear whether I can play notes with say a Seaboard and FH-1 will quantize the notes according to those scales.
os
The FH-1 doesn't have an arpeggiator (yet).
mOBiTh
greenanother wrote:
Posted this elsewhere, but thought it might be more appropriate here:

os

I see that the FH-1 arp can output various scales, but it's not clear whether I can play notes with say a Seaboard and FH-1 will quantize the notes according to those scales.

This is the feature I'm waiting for!

Seaboard and FH-1 ready for action hihi
greenanother
os wrote:
The FH-1 doesn't have an arpeggiator (yet).

Sorry, I meant sequencer not arp. I guess I'm just trying to avoid getting a separate quantizer if it can be implemented in the FH-1. Anyway, I really appreciate the quick responses. I've ordered an FH-1 and Seaboard and am really excited about the possibilites. w00t
xandersingh
has anyone made a script for the Seaboard rise that they care to share? I'm really struggling to unlock its possibilities.
greenanother
xandersingh wrote:
has anyone made a script for the Seaboard rise that they care to share? I'm really struggling to unlock its possibilities.

My Seaboard hasn't arrived yet, but based on the FH-1 note on/off chart I could see some issues getting full functionality:

If you use the Seaboard multi-timbrally starting on midi channel 9 and work from there, you get note cv, gate, velocity, and aftertouch (same on channel 10). This takes up all 8 outputs of the FH-1.

Now, if you add an expander to the FH-1, the same parameters get output on channel 11. Once you get to channel 12; however, the FH-1 outputs change to notes, velocity, triggers, accent pairs, etc. (so only the top half of the FH-1 expander is usable in this context with the Seaboard).

In addition, if you wanted to write a script to add the Seaboard slide parameter, that would push the outputs even further out; taking up more outputs (so you would need a second expander to get to 4-voice/4-channel functionality). Plus, I'm not sure I'm up to the task of messing with this scripting business (seems somewhat advanced in my mind).

Too bad we don't have some kind of FH-1 editor instead. seriously, i just don't get it
os
I have a plan to make the FH-1 programmable via SysEx, so someone with the chops could write an editor, even a web-based thing using Web MIDI.
greenanother
os wrote:
I have a plan to make the FH-1 programmable via SysEx, so someone with the chops could write an editor, even a web-based thing using Web MIDI.

Sweet! Hope someone takes on that challenge. cool
shreeswifty
i just got mine and racked the FH-1 and the FH-X and i am impressed by the build quality and the blinkeys for sure.

I am going from a UNO MIDI 1x1 from a
Ipad with and iRIG Midi and i am getting 8 channels plus from Patterning and some VERY interesting responses from TC-DATA.

Is there a detailed manual for setting up the outputs online?

This would benefit from one of those illustrated manuals :-)

Thanks
shreeswifty
i am sensing a MAX Patch might do wonders for this situation.
rove74
os wrote:

An editor would be amazing!

I have investigated writing my own scripts, but I feel I would need a full on video tutorial to do so.
os
shreeswifty wrote:
Is there a detailed manual for setting up the outputs online?

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1usermanual.html

In general the recommended approach is not do set up the FH-1 by scripting it, but by setting up the MIDI controller to work with the FH-1's default setups, since most MIDI controllers have GUI editors available.
shreeswifty
i grabbed an FH-X as well so i will be running it through it's paces today

BTW, it did not recognize or power a MidiMan 2x2 for some reason
shreeswifty
i am finding the manual a little difficult to parse.
Is there perhaps a simple Tutorial?

I am getting very interesting blinkeys form TC-Data, Patterning and now Sugar Bytes "THESYS" midi sequencer.

I am using a UNO1x1 connected to a IRig MIDI2 attached to an ipad.

I have seen the nice use of Lemur, perhaps lemur allows greater control of the midi message types?
shreeswifty
Ok, FH-1 with Lemur is extremely useful.
shreeswifty
While the iPad was re-charging, i decided to get old school and hook up the Akai MPK25 controller.

http://www.akaipro.com/product/mpk25#overview

Is tweaking insanity. I grabbed the preset software to program it and I'm off to the races.
shreeswifty
This is a really useful module. I am very pleased with it. Bravo. I think the Manual would benefit from a Step by step overall how-to because there are so many different types of midi controllers but after i got comfy i have the Sputnik Dual Oscillator [i used just one Osc with a bunch of CVins for the test subject] and it has really enable a lot of expression. The Akai has Aftertouch, arpeggio latching and 12Pads which i have set as LFOs and Knobs which are super fun, really nice sculpting going on.

I am impressed with the build of the modules too, very nice and sturdy feel and the +/- light feature is really helpful. I am patching some outs into a WMD toolkit for a little extra logic/fun

A+ for Expert Sleepers FH-1/FH-X
os
Guinness ftw!
synthisland
Ordering one right now for use with Lemur / ipad / everything. Exactly what I've been looking for! Thank youzzz! Animal!
cmcavoy
bkbirge wrote:
Nice, looks like a nice solution for the OP-1 among other things.

Has anyone tried this and could give some feedback? I googled a bunch, I see a lot of speculation, but no first hand experiences. Thanks!
shreeswifty
Can someone share a how-to for sending MIDI clock OUT of the FH-1. I am still a little wishy-washy on the menu system
spacenoodle
shreeswifty wrote:
Can someone share a how-to for sending MIDI clock OUT of the FH-1. I am still a little wishy-washy on the menu system

+1. I'd like to know how to send clock and configure special purpose outputs to send run signals and start and stop triggers. The FH-1 seems to be receiving clock and note on/off from an OP-1 so if I can just get some start and stop triggers. Methods of sync'ing an OP-1 to the FH-1 have me puzzled though.
Noizy Robot
shreeswifty wrote:

From a thread on the ES forum it says you need to send a square wave LFO out of a channel to use as a clock source. Unfortunately I'm still trying to work out how to get an LFO working, and ideas?
spacenoodle
Noizy Robot wrote:
shreeswifty wrote:

From a thread on the ES forum it says you need to send a square wave LFO out of a channel to use as a clock source. Unfortunately I'm still trying to work out how to get an LFO working, and ideas?

Apparently everything is configured through MIDI control change messages which need to be assigned as follows.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1CCs.html

As I don't have a USB MIDI controller, other than the OP-1, I'm needing to do this in a configuration file via hex messages. If anyone already has an OP-1 preset, please share. Otherwise, I'm working through it.
Noizy Robot
spacenoodle wrote:
Noizy Robot wrote:
shreeswifty wrote:

Apparently everything is configured through MIDI control change messages which need to be assigned as follows.

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1CCs.html

As I don't have a USB MIDI controller, other than the OP-1, I'm needing to do this in a configuration file via hex messages. If anyone already has an OP-1 preset, please share. Otherwise, I'm working through it.

I've tried many different methods of sending control change messages, lemur, ableton live, Cubase, midi keyboard, but I'm just not getting anything. It would be nice if the manual was a bit more detailed so I can get on making music rather than wasting time trying to figure this out.
spacenoodle
After many hours lost I'm not having any luck with Hex configuration. And the OP-1 refuses to sync to it.

My observation:

Connect OP-1 to Mac running Ableton
set OP-1 to sync mode
Start Ableton
OP-1 syncs to Ableton

Connect OP-1 directly to FH-1
set OP-1 to sync mode
Ensure MIDI clock out is enabled on FH-1 (menu D, option 2, set to 1)
Send clock to input X from modular
The FH-1 sequencer starts but the OP-1 does nothing

The OP-1 is not able to sync to an FH-1 module like it does with Ableton. In fact if the FH-1 sends clocks at a fast rate, the OP-1 crashes. This doesn't occur with Ableton even at 999BPM - the OP-1 just tops out at 255 BPM.
os
You say
Quote:

but then
Quote:
if the FH-1 sends clocks at a fast rate, the OP-1 crashes

which seem to contradict each other.
spacenoodle
os wrote:
You say
Quote:

but then
Quote:
if the FH-1 sends clocks at a fast rate, the OP-1 crashes

which seem to contradict each other.

It's the difference between:

1. The FH-1 getting clock pulses at a slow rate. The OP-1 just sitting there, still allowing me to interact with it, but not responding in any way to the FH-1.

and...

2. Sending clock pulses to the FH-1 at high rate. The OP-1 quickly locks up. I'm no longer able to interact with it, the only option is to power cycle it. Sometimes there is even a bunch of error text on the screen.

Let me know if I'm still not describing it well.
spacenoodle
Did you try hooking up directly to the FH-1? Do I need to get an iConnectMidi interface to get it working? I'm looking for any solutions.
os
I don't have an OP-1 myself so it's hard to do any concrete testing.

Have you changed the MIDI clock divisor setting (D/1)?
spacenoodle
os wrote:
I don't have an OP-1 myself so it's hard to do any concrete testing.

Have you changed the MIDI clock divisor setting (D/1)?

No I haven't changed any settings. Should I?
os
No, ideally not.

Do you have anything other than the OP-1 to connect to?
spacenoodle
Only Ableton will take USB MIDI and to even test that I assume that I would need a device between the FH-1 and Mac. So I'm probably out of luck.

I *could* send you my OP-1 and FH-1 in the hopes you could provide a preset for us OP-1 users. I'm in USA however.
cmcavoy
@os - the FH-1 comes up on the Operator 1 forum (https://www.operator-1.com/ teenage engineering forum) as the best entry for OP-1 owners to get into Modular. If you can get a test unit from somewhere, there's probably a pretty solid market of OP-1 folks looking for what the FH-1 promises.
spacenoodle
I looked around and nobody confirmed sync between the FH-1 and OP-1. I decided to risk it solely on:

os wrote:
At the time I had an OP-1 available for testing the MIDI clock stuff wasn't implemented, but there's no reason to believe it wouldn't work.

I figured if it didn't work I could report the issue and it would eventually be looked at. So I'm hoping my test at least sparks some investigation. I have no use for the FH-1 outside of potentially sync'ing an OP1.
os
Someone actually brought his OP-1 to a modular meet a year or so ago and we confirmed that the two spoke to each other.

Given that MIDI clock is a very simple standard, and that the FH-1 demonstrably syncs with other devices, I'm at a loss to guess why the OP-1 isn't working for you. The fact that you can make it crash leads me to suspect that there might be issues at the OP-1's end.

I'll see if I can get hold of one for first-hand testing.
spacenoodle
The OP1 definitely sends it polyphonic note data no problem. This is a brand new OP1 and at least I can confirm it syncs flawlessly with Ableton. Well thanks for looking into it.
concretic
My OP-1 also crashes upon MIDI clock input from FH-1. It is on OP-1 side.

Dunno how to solve it. If you get to any working result please let me know.. It would be great to sync OP-1 to modular clock.

edit:
I've configured the FH-1 to send clocked LFOs with different speeds on 4 channels and there is an issue of LFOs not beign in phase with the clock. F.e. clock from Octatrack is continuous - when I hit play these LFO's wont reset on exact time and it is out of phase thus not usable meh
os
Have you set the "Stop LFOs when clock stopped" option on the FH-1?

Have you reported the crashes to Teenage Engineering?
spacenoodle
os wrote:

I mentioned the crash to them.
concretic
os wrote:

1/ I'll try this for sure
2/ I've sent them full error message from OP-1 in hope there will be a response.
spacenoodle
os wrote:

I gave them the crash log as well. They said they'd work through it with Expert Sleepers. Has there been any communication yet?
os
Yes, I exchanged emails. Nothing concrete to report yet.
matttech
Cool vid from Mudlogger, in case it's not been posted here yet:

p_ache
I'm considering buying an octatrack and an FH1 to sequencer my modular with this.
How tight is it? I plan to use the Thomann Midi USB 1x1 cable as mentioned here already. I'm afraid of unnecessary latency and jitter. I trust expert-sleeper s to have a rock solid product, but I'm not sure about the midi-usb conversion.
os
I'm here at Superbooth and experimenting with the TE demo guy. Neither of us can figure out how to stop the OP-1 sending MIDI clock. Anyone know?
concretic
os wrote:
I'm here at Superbooth and experimenting with the TE demo guy. Neither of us can figure out how to stop the OP-1 sending MIDI clock. Anyone know?

I cannot test it ATM but turned off LINK/BEAT MATCH could stop the clock?

p_ache wrote:

How tight is it? I plan to use the Thomann Midi USB 1x1 cable as mentioned here already. I'm afraid of unnecessary latency and jitter. I trust expert-sleeper s to have a rock solid product, but I'm not sure about the midi-usb conversion.

FH1 + OT via Thomann MIDI USB is rock solid. No issues here, no latency.
p_ache
This is what I wanted to hear! Thanks.
os
OP-1 crash confirmed on the Superbooth show floor. TE guy on the case!
Worwell
Os: Would it be possible to have the default position of the FH-1 with nothing plugged into it set up the spit out eight random voltages? My Disting regularly gets weighed down with stackables in sample and hold mode so would be great to have more random sources.

Thanks.
os
Yes - set up the random outputs via CCs as usual, then save that as a preset, and then use the setting to have that preset loaded at power-up.
Sinamsis
Has anyone had problems loading firmware? I've been trying to load the most recent firmware from the website, but when I turn it on after plugging in the USB, LEDS A-H and 1-8 alternate, and the unit does not respond to presses of the encoder. When I rotate the encoder, I exit the firmware loading mode and can successfully use the FH-1. I've tried a couple USB sticks and nothing. Basically I wanted to load the custom firmware from Roli but I didn't think it was loading correctly. So I wanted to go to the most recent firmware from Expert Sleepers to see if I could load that, but no love. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
os
Quote:
the unit does not respond to presses of the encoder

Not at all? You have to hold it down for a couple of seconds to do the firmware update.
Sinamsis
os
As usual I'm an idiot. I got so flustered with this stupid Roli I had a momentary lapse of common sense. You da bomb. Thanks.
apcnt
would it be possible to use the FH-1 as a CV-looper?

Would be awesome to plug in something like the Launchcontrol XL and enable/disable recording the fader/knob movements in loops, clock sync'd...

I would have no idea how to set this up tho smile
os
Interesting idea.
greenanother
os wrote:
Interesting idea.

+1
Dogma
greenanother wrote:
os wrote:
Interesting idea.

+1

+3
damase
Hey, looking into the FH-1 to be sequenced from Octatrack. Its a bit confusing, but seems very flexible if you understand whats going on...
Is there a resource to download alternate scripts that have been made already?
or does everyone just re-write their own to optimize?

Thanks!
mOBiTh
So I bought my FH-1 to act as a MIDI CLOCK->CLOCK/RESET/LFO bank but it's not very clear to me how to achieve that. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

I was expecting to be able to do this without a computer just using the front panel - is this impossible?
os
The FH-1 is configured primarily via MIDI CCs.

Using a MIDI source of your choice (e.g. a MIDI fader box, or a computer) send it the right CCs to set up the LFOs etc you want. Then you probably want to save that as a preset (which can be done via the front panel).

You can actually program it all in a script too but it's probably easier to do it via MIDI.
damase
os wrote:
The FH-1 is configured primarily via MIDI CCs.

Using a MIDI source of your choice (e.g. a MIDI fader box, or a computer) send it the right CCs to set up the LFOs etc you want. Then you probably want to save that as a preset (which can be done via the front panel).

You can actually program it all in a script too but it's probably easier to do it via MIDI.

interesting, as far as I can tell though from the manual, access to different things are on various midi channels

apologies if my question is covered already....
in the manual, for note assignment it shows up to output 12, which works for me with the default note assignment for 3 monophonic 'voices'.... but what are the default assignments for 13-16 in this scenario?

the midi cc chart is very confusing to me, but ideally i would want 1 midi channel to control internal lfos and clock dividers on these outputs...
how would you set this up?
os
Something like this:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2045768#2045768
damase
Thanks for your fast responses. Its still slightly confusing to me, but my gut is that itll be clearer after i buy it and mess around a bit.
os
Bear in mind that 7/8ths of the assignment charts refer to the expanders. If it's just the FH-1 itself you're worried about there is a lot less to take in.
os
Big news in FH-1 land - there are now GUI-based configuration tools, for those previously put off by the whole scripting business:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1scripts.html#tools
damase
applause
os wrote:
Big news in FH-1 land - there are now GUI-based configuration tools, for those previously put off by the whole scripting business:

http://expert-sleepers.co.uk/fh1scripts.html#tools
Selektro
os wrote:
OP-1 crash confirmed on the Superbooth show floor. TE guy on the case!

this ever get anywhere?
os
No. They still have my FH-1 but despite prodding I never heard that they fixed it. They probably need some gentle encouragement from customers. :;
os
Just dropped a new firmware update including an arpeggiator:

cannonball swandive
I have changed all my settings in the online configuration tool. What is the quickest way to get back to the original settings. Reloading the firmware 1.7 keeps the changes I made
os
Erase the script. It's one of the reset functions (refer to the manual).
cannonball swandive
Trying. Click encoder once, scroll down to 8th blue dot, click encoder, scroll down to 8th red dot , click encoder. The way I read the manual this would seem to do the trick but the settings stay the same
os
It's the 7th item to delete the script. Then restart.
cannonball swandive
So far I've tried erasing the scripts (7), and resetting the settings (8). Powering off the module and back on after each attempt to no avail. Is there something else I should be doing prior?
os
What settings are you actually trying to reverse at this point? What is the FH-1 doing that is not default?
cannonball swandive
I have set the Lfos to be controlled one lfo per midi channel, 1-8. I configured the CCs to respond to the fader and knob on each channel so I could use a korg nanokontrol to control all 8 Lfos. After going through the reset process the fh-1 still responds exactly the same to the nanokontrol.
os
Well, if you managed to use the script generator to make that configuration, you can just do the same thing but with a default, empty script to go back to defaults.
fourhexagons
Has there been any news on the Teenage Engineering OP-1 clock jumble? That is, have TE provided a way to stop the OP-1 clock, or is there a way to get the FH-1 to filter/ignore it?

Additionally, I'd like to vote a strong +1 on the FH-1 MIDI looper idea. I've been trying to sort out a simple solution for such a thing. I had been working with the Pyramid, but it was overkill for simple MIDI looping and not worth the extra schlep.

What I think would be super-useful is this:

• Punch in and it starts recording on the next downbeat. Play something on a MIDI keyboard, for example, and it records exactly what is played—pitch CV, and gate—in real-time with no quantization.
• Punch out and on the next downbeat, it begins looping. Done.

Three means of interacting are required:

1. Record (punch in/out)
2. Play/Stop
3. Delete (lets you abort the loop while in it, or delete after the loop is made)

Each of the three functions is assignable to any CC or trigger on X/Y input.

I could see MIDI Ch 1 affecting loop 1, 2 affecting 2, etc. Just like the default state of the FH-1 with channels 1-4 being the first 4 pairs of outs.
os
fourhexagons wrote:
Has there been any news on the Teenage Engineering OP-1 clock jumble? That is, have TE provided a way to stop the OP-1 clock, or is there a way to get the FH-1 to filter/ignore it?

Firmware v1.6 included this:
Quote:
The FH-1 no longer generates MIDI clock if it is following MIDI clock; nor will it attempt to follow MIDI clock if it is itself generating MIDI clock.
damase
fourhexagons
Check out the future artist midi looper. Its perfect. Hit me up with questions about it but its very simple and easy.

And while im here---love for my fh-1. Has opened up my entire setup and keeps getting better and better with new firmware.

Ill say though sometimes i have to plug/unplug the usb cable coming from my iconnect interface to get fh-1 to initially recognize my input (latest firmware despite reading the compatability was improved). Not a huge deal as i always get it to work, but as my system becomes more and more dependant and adds more fhx-1 it gets you a little nervous.

Even if there was a way to hit the encoder to have it "search" for its midi input might help me i just feel weird pulling the usb and hoping it works
os
Which iConnectivity device do you have?
bengersfood
damase wrote:
fourhexagons
Ill say though sometimes i have to plug/unplug the usb cable coming from my iconnect interface to get fh-1 to initially recognize my input (latest firmware despite reading the compatability was improved). Not a huge deal as i always get it to work, but as my system becomes more and more dependant and adds more fhx-1 it gets you a little nervous.

Even if there was a way to hit the encoder to have it "search" for its midi input might help me i just feel weird pulling the usb and hoping it works

Exactly the same behaviour for me. I have the iConnectivity MIDI2+
fourhexagons
os wrote:
fourhexagons wrote:

Firmware v1.6 included this:
Quote:
The FH-1 no longer generates MIDI clock if it is following MIDI clock; nor will it attempt to follow MIDI clock if it is itself generating MIDI clock.

Oh, strange. I'm running 1.7 and my OP-1 was still locking up and giving error codes. I figured the clock was just too fast, so I made sure that PPQN & clock multiplier were both 1 and now I'm not getting crashes, but I'm also not seeing the green letters EXT on the OP-1 indicating that it's receiving external clock. I am sending the FH-1 a quarter-note trigger into the X input and the blue and red LEDs are showing that the clock is being received by progressing downward as expected.

Is there something else in the FH-1 that I'm missing to make sure that it sends MIDI clock to the OP-1? If not (and nobody else here has any tips) then I'll see what the TE community has to say about it over on the OP-1 forum.

Whatever the case, thanks for being so active with updates and just generally helpful, Os. My experience with FH-1 and Disting has really been great.

And damase thanks for the tips. I think I remember you guys using one of those at the album release, but I had forgotten all about it.

It looks like Future Artist is working on a small MIDI host device as well. All this sort of stuff is cool, but it's still yet another piece of gear that doesn't live inside the rack. If it were a small Eurorack module, I'd immediately go for it, especially if I could trigger the functions with CV.

As it stands, though it would require a MIDI keyboard that's NOT the OP-1 as the OP-1 has only one data connection – a single USB port, which in order to use would then require one of those iConnect devices... and then we're right back to where I was with the Pyramid, Mio4, QuNexus, USB hub and assorted power supplies – that's a full pedalboard of stuff when all I want is to plug a small keyboard directly into the FH-1 with a single USB cable and be done with it.
fourhexagons
And I forgot to add that when in menu D, I also set MIDI clock divisor to 1 and I have MIDI clock out enabled.
fourhexagons
aaaaaand I spoke too soon. OP-1 still crashes with a screen like this:

damase
os wrote:
Which iConnectivity device do you have?

iConnectivity Midi2+
damase
fourhexagons
I see. Yes the midi-hole leads to more devices for sure. You could loop the cv? Either way, i dont want to detract from the suggestion on the looper for FH-1 which would be awesome, especially if you could arpeggiate post-loop
os
fourhexagons wrote:
aaaaaand I spoke too soon. OP-1 still crashes with a screen like this

Yeah, they need to fix that. They've had my FH-1 for almost a year now.
fourhexagons
os wrote:
fourhexagons wrote:
aaaaaand I spoke too soon. OP-1 still crashes with a screen like this

Yeah, they need to fix that. They've had my FH-1 for almost a year now.

meh
Thanks for the heads up on that, Os.

I'll send them a message asking how far along they are with it. And maybe if any other OP-1 + FH-1 Wigglers here might do the same, we can get them to move it up on their to-do list.
damase
finally got into doing more LFOs and analog clocking of fh-1, its quite amazing all the things that can be done coherently.

Feature Requests:
--A way to switch clocking source, so that you can simultaneously use midi clock, or switch to analog clock for tricky stuff. Ideally, you would be able to choose default source per output in the GUI, and then assign a midi CC to control any of them or all of them with a knob switching between Midi, Analog, Mixed, (and maybe a couple logic mixing options??). I could live with just the default choosing per output though.

--ability to Reset internal clock with the Y input. I thought you could do this, but it appears to only reset the sequencers/lfos while the clock still runs(unless im doing something wrong). This would be super cool for integrating the new Arpeggiator as if it were an un-quantized Arp, much like the Roland Jupiter 6 arp. Would get a lot of great swing but currently it drifts instead of swinging

--Expander for CV>Midi control of the internal parameters like LFO frequency smile
Dogma
so the new elektron box digikat is going to be transferring midi data via USB - the first elektron box to do so. That means its perfect for the FH-1 no?
jarvis
Dogma wrote:
so the new elektron box digikat is going to be transferring midi data via USB - the first elektron box to do so. That means its perfect for the FH-1 no?

If the Digitakt acts as a class-compliant MIDI device, it could possibly work. Both the RYTM and Analog 4 have MIDI over USB, and I couldn't get either of those devices to clock or be clocked by the FH-1.
damase
Dogma wrote:

Should be! That is really cool i didnt know that. At the same time though i find both Elektron boxes and FH-1 benefit greatly from extra midi controllers/knobs as well so maybe pop a faderfox in the mix as well.
os
damase wrote:
--ability to Reset internal clock with the Y input. I thought you could do this, but it appears to only reset the sequencers/lfos while the clock still runs(unless im doing something wrong). This would be super cool for integrating the new Arpeggiator as if it were an un-quantized Arp, much like the Roland Jupiter 6 arp. Would get a lot of great swing but currently it drifts instead of swinging

Could you clarify exactly how what you want differs from the current behaviour?
concretic
I have bought Launchpad mini specifically for FH-1 but when I connect it, it doesnt recognise the device. "Disable device-specific behaviour" is in default turned off and when i play it it only outputs cv on 1 and gate on 2. Do I have to set someting else?
os
No, you should just have to plug it in.

If you plug the Launchpad into a computer, what name does the computer see the incoming MIDI port as?
concretic
In Ableton Live it is Launchpad Mini 10; also via osx audio MIDI setup
damase
os wrote:
damase wrote:

Could you clarify exactly how what you want differs from the current behaviour?

I will try it out again, but from what I remember, i would put the same trigger as my envelope into the reset Y input, hoping to reset the arp/clock(internal clocked) every time the note fires, but instead the arp would play along as if the arp resets but not resetting the clocking for the arp
So i would want. Basically...
Every time I hit a note on keyboard, it plays, with the next arpegiated note playing consistently the same time after the first note. So that if i fired off a note every downbeat at 120 BPM and the internal clock at 130 BPM it would come across as a heavily swung upbeat

Now just writing this though, im wondering if my problem is that the arp notes put out a trigger pulse as well(duh), forcing it to reset on every note rather than just my initial trigger. Maybe i just need to try again and explore more.
concretic
OK I've entered bootloader on launchpad and set it to Fullpower mode and device ID1 - it works now! So maybe needs to be added to manual. Thanks smile
RubberGong
Getting one of these to compliment my pyramid in Eurorack land. Is there any plan of implementing additional scales. Especially interested in microtonal stuff.
os
Yes, it's possible. Couldn't say when though.
RubberGong
os wrote:
Yes, it's possible. Couldn't say when though.

that is amazing smile - looking forward to the general midi unit as well
ntkrw
Wondering will FH-1 be implemented to work with DIY Disting MK4 MIDI Expander?
os
No. FH-1 uses USB MIDI - the disting uses 5-pin DIN serial MIDI.
toneburst
Just out of interest, @os, do you have any plans for USB MIDI device ports on any future MIDI-enabled modules?

a|x
os
I have some ideas.
stikygum
This is really cool, I didn't realize I want this. This looks like a really clever and creative module. I can see a lot of fun coming from this module.
damase
stikygum wrote:
This is really cool, I didn't realize I want this. This looks like a really clever and creative module. I can see a lot of fun coming from this module.

This module was a game changer! Keeps getting better and better as updates are released, as you add more midi control and integrate features. I love the ability to clock your lfos with analog clock and having all sorts of control over shape
_ttc_
Is support for multiple midi controllers via a usb hub now a reality?

There was mention of this early on in the thread and I'm wondering if I'm going to need a couple FH-1s in the rack or if I can use multiple midi controllers and simply add on more FHXs.
CaneMan
_ttc_ wrote:
Is support for multiple midi controllers via a usb hub now a reality?

There was mention of this early on in the thread and I'm wondering if I'm going to need a couple FH-1s in the rack or if I can use multiple midi controllers and simply add on more FHXs.

Seconded. I've been wondering about that since I first learned of this module.
os
No hub support at the moment. Still on the list of future possibilities.
concretic
How about using fh1 with cv toolkit? I know it is designed to be used with external midi controller however i am using it 95% with octatrack and/or computer. Sending midi from my soundcard into the fh1 is flawless but a nice touch of these cv tools which are usable with es3 and other modules would give us more instant power without programming.
jimithing
Was working fine with iConnectivity MIO 10 but now it just does not rcognize any USB Connected to it. Even tried Launchpad XL and it will not recognize or power the Launchpad. Tried all the resets several times. Tried to upgrade to 1.7 but it also does not recognize a 32 GB Usb stick formatted to fat 32. Have more than enough power going to this module on this rack. Help. It was the most awesome when working. I used it through Maschine MK2 to run sequences.
os
Are you taking 5V from the case rail, or from the FH-1 itself? Either way, there's an LED on the PCB next to the jumper that selects the USB voltage source - is that lighting?

What's the revision number printed on the PCB?
jimithing
PCB Version is 1.0 And the red LED is lighting up. It might be the jumper setting. I did just move the FH-1 from another rack, Doepfer DIY A-100 which did not have 5v running through it, to this Pitt Modular EP-460 which I believe does have 5v connected/running to it.
os
So does the USB work now there's power?
jimithing
It was the Jumper setting on this new case. Moved the Jumper over to receive, just guessing, 5v from the new Eurocase and it's all working. Thanks for the help and Quick reply. I love this module. Gotta pick up a Disting MK4 hear soon.
desolationjones
FH-1 firmware update on the horizon - adds gamepad functionality! os also commented that hub support is a possibility.
jonleebrown
Does anybody know if saved presets include the MIDI mappings as well?

I can't get an explicit indication of this from the manual. (It does seem like it only save the settings as controlled by CC values and not the mapping.)

I have two distinct MIDI config scripts, one for interfacing with Ableton Live clip automation and one for interfacing with a Novation Circuit (still in the works). Being able to switch easily would be great.

Thanks!
sasbom
You can't go through different mappings without changing the configuration script,
The configurations are unfortunatly not a list of presets.

You can, however, configure everything across multiple midi channels (i bet you already knew this) so knobs can do another set of things when in another midi channel.

--

I'm absolutely stoked if hub support is gonna be a thing grin
I'd get a launchcontrol and the fhx-1 and finally use the arpeggiator and sequencers properly, in conjunction with keyboard.
os
You could use the "DEV" command in the script so you get one set of behaviour for the Circuit and one for Live.

Or, just have Live send the same MIDI as you send from the Circuit.
jonleebrown
os wrote:
You could use the "DEV" command in the script so you get one set of behaviour for the Circuit and one for Live.

Or, just have Live send the same MIDI as you send from the Circuit.

True on having Live just send the same CC/Channels as -- I've got some rudimentary M4L devices that could abstract those details anyway. Right now they don't--for for accessibility to recording automation of the knobs, then translate that to the right CC. I had the Live setup to enable easy direct control over a Mio2 CC 1 through 16 sending to the 8 outs plus an expander.

I see the listing of some Novation device IDs... but how would I identify the circuit? I haven't experimented with this, but I assume the device name that the FH-1 sees is the same as what Live sees in its MIDI setup screen?

Sorry for my ignorance.
os
Quote:
I assume the device name that the FH-1 sees is the same as what Live sees in its MIDI setup screen?

Probably. I would imagine it's just "Circuit".
mildheadwound
For this joystick compatibility in V.2 software; would something from this selection work?

Joysticks ~ greatest movie ever!

Basically, a dream controller, for my modular arcade machine.
os
If it's USB class-compliant, then yes. I would imagine anything listed there as compatible with 'USB' would be what you want, but you'd have to research the details.
os
I just released firmware v2.

2disbetter
os wrote:
I just released firmware v2.

os,

Do you know that literally yesterday I tried plugging a USB hub in to see if the FH-1 would recognize more than one midi source, and then today I'm on muffs and see that the new firmware does just that!

Legendary!

2d
wednesdayayay
oh cool so any HID device should work now?

the the shbobo shnth comes out in MAX as a HID device so this should work no problem then right?
os
Any HID device should do something. What exactly it does will depend on its reported capabilities. If you can capture its HID descriptor (there are freeware tools for that) on a computer I'll be interested to take a look.
2disbetter
os wrote:
Any HID device should do something. What exactly it does will depend on its reported capabilities. If you can capture its HID descriptor (there are freeware tools for that) on a computer I'll be interested to take a look.

So if the items already work individually with the fh-1, they should work when being used concurrently through a hub?

Does communication just work in a queue style? First in or last in takes precedence (IE: most current signal)?

2d
os
Quote:
So if the items already work individually with the fh-1, they should work when being used concurrently through a hub?

Yes.

Quote:
Does communication just work in a queue style? First in or last in takes precedence (IE: most current signal)?

Each MIDI message will be processed in turn. So the last one in will potentially override the previous.

Ideally you would have the different devices controlling different outputs on the FH-1.
TEKBRAIN
os wrote:

Test

0xFF bInterfaceClass (Vendor specific)

vs

0x03 bInterfaceClass (Human Interface Device Class)

hmmm.....
os
No HID support there as far as I can see.
2disbetter
os wrote:
No HID support there as far as I can see.

Which makes sense as MS would like to keep their controllers only performing on devices they've written drivers for. (Read: Windows)

Now a logitech or other 3rd party xbox one controller might be a different story.

2d
jonleebrown
os wrote:
Quote:
I assume the device name that the FH-1 sees is the same as what Live sees in its MIDI setup screen?

Probably. I would imagine it's just "Circuit".

Thanks Os. I've yet to give this a try, I am still setting up the Circuit config.

I did notice that I couldn't get the Trigger mode to work for the drums channel 10 notes 60, 62, 64, 65. I did get the Mono mode to work turning off the CV, gate--leaving on;y the trigger set to an output. Seems like both setups could be made functionally equivalent.
midirobot
got a question ?! since this new release i ask myself if fh-1 would work with those Pressure-sensitive drawing tablet ?? should make a nice pressure sensitive controller !
somebody have one to try ?
Chickonies
I recently got this module and I think it's great.

While testing out the four voice polyphonic mode with the default settings I am noticing that occasionally the gate on one or more channels gets stuck on. I am pretty sure it only happens when I hold more than 4 keys at any time. I can get it unstuck by mashing more than 4 keys.

If I hold a triad with my left hand and just noodle around with my right and a gate will occasionally get stuck when I hit multiple keys with my right (going over the 4 voices in the default config)

I am using an arturia keystep on the latest firmware. The keystep is sending note and key on/off on midi channel 16. The FH1 is on the latest firmware and completely default settings. The keystep is being powered from the modular only, but there is plenty of power available.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the keystep at fault?

Tomorrow I am going to try messing with config scripts to change the voice allocation mode and add more voices. Something like:

MCV16:16:0-127:PS1:C0G1:C2G3:C4G5:C6G7:C8G9:C10G11

I'll report back if that helps.
os
Is that the v2 FH-1 firmware you're using?
2disbetter
Chickonies wrote:

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes sometimes when I'm using 2 Roli seaboard blocks through the FH-1 and 3 FHX expanders, I'll have one gate freeze.

I always kind of assumed it was because the connection between the two blocks faltered for a moment. However, in any case, simply pushing a bunch of keys unfreezes it. It doesn't happen often enough to have really concerned me, as I don't play live.

This was on the previous firmware and the current v2 (which is awesome btw).

2d
Chickonies
os wrote:
Is that the v2 FH-1 firmware you're using?

Yes

Also, I am not using any expanders.
os
OK, there might be some fine tuning to do still in that.
os
Bluetooth MIDI:

PM33AUD
I've noticed a few stuck gates as well requiring a power cycle of the whole rig. Hopefully you can locate the bug for us!

I'm using 2 voices and the rest are CC to CV outputs. No expanders (yet!).

Not a big deal but I've noticed that the online script upload doesn't update all settings when you parse - I think just those that were 'cycled through' when making the script initially. So if you left some drop-downs alone, they wouldn't get saved to the script. Maybe I'm missing sth on that one?
auxren
os wrote:
Bluetooth MIDI:

WHAT!?! That's huge! Bluetooth MIDI host!
os
PM33AUD wrote:
I've noticed a few stuck gates as well requiring a power cycle of the whole rig. Hopefully you can locate the bug for us!

Fingers crossed. You can reboot the FH-1 from the menu though (H-6).
HOTPOT
Hello, Expert Sleepers.

Could you direct me to a simple installation website? Everything I have found so far is too difficult for me to follow, and, as a non-midi person, I cannot jump straight in.

I would rather feed a clock from my Ultrabeat drum sequencer in Logic X as midi, than use a midi controller. I don't even know if my Macbook Pro mid-2012 is capable of using one USB port for an interface, and one for the Expert Sleepers. Help please!

This is a great-looking module with much potential, but I can't get anything out of it so far, and cannot do so if I can't find the most basic of installation step-by-step guides.

Thanks in advance.
Hotpot
os
You can't plug the FH-1 directly into a laptop. You need something like this

https://www.iconnectivity.com/products/midi/mio2

that will bridge between the two USB hosts (the FH-1 and the laptop).

I have to ask why as a "non-midi person" you bought a MIDI/CV converter. What's your overall goal?
Da Dah Da
Very interesting this Widi Bud !

Can it be used to control the FH-1 by a Ipad pro with TC-11 for example ?
HOTPOT
My goal is I want more triggers, LFOs, waves, and to use the random and noise outputs in general, but wanted to use my Logic drum sequencer as the clock. Basically, my drums and drum samples via laptop, and everything else via my rack. The FH-1 seemed a good way to do this.

Thanks for recommending the mio2. I do have a midi controller and will see if I can send laptop drums to it as a clock, then the midi device to the FH-1. The guides so far seem a bit convoluted but hey, there's a first time for everything.

Which guide did any of you use for setup first?
sasbom
I used the manual and took my time reading it, asked some questions too.
It's not that hard as it might seem, just read through it a couple of times smile
HOTPOT
Thanks sasbom. I'm going to re-read now. Struggling to setup the firmware.

sasbom wrote:
I used the manual and took my time reading it, asked some questions too.
It's not that hard as it might seem, just read through it a couple of times smile
os
Da Dah Da wrote:
Very interesting this Widi Bud !

Can it be used to control the FH-1 by a Ipad pro with TC-11 for example ?

I've not been able to connect an iPad to the Widi Bud. It's possible that I'm simply not doing it right, or that there are other Bluetooth dongles that would allow it.

HOTPOT wrote:
My goal is I want more triggers, LFOs, waves, and to use the random and noise outputs in general, but wanted to use my Logic drum sequencer as the clock. Basically, my drums and drum samples via laptop, and everything else via my rack. The FH-1 seemed a good way to do this.

I would have suggested an ES-3 instead, but it sounds like you've already gone down the FH-1 road?
Da Dah Da
Thank you OS, i sent a message to CME about ipad and FH-1 or other usb midi din converter.
HOTPOT
os wrote:

I would have suggested an ES-3 instead, but it sounds like you've already gone down the FH-1 road?

Thanks, os. Yes, I have the FH-1. I will look into the ES-3 now as well. So far Silent Way looks more instantly compatible with my setup, but I'm not averse to learning how to use the FH-1.
mOBiTh
Hey os

Is there a technical reason why the fh-1 can't be 'relegated ' to a usb device so it could be controlled by a laptop running max for example?

Cheers

m
jonleebrown
mOBiTh wrote:
Is there a technical reason why the fh-1 can't be 'relegated ' to a usb device so it could be controlled by a laptop running max for example?

My understanding is that the FH-1 is a USB host, so can't connect directly to another host. You can get something like a iConnectivity mio2 which can make two hosts talk to one another. I do this, and after a little set up it works really well.
mOBiTh
jonleebrown wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:

My understanding is that the FH-1 is a USB host, so can't connect directly to another host. You can get something like a iConnectivity mio2 which can make two hosts talk to one another. I do this, and after a little set up it works really well.

Sure, but that's not what I was asking hihi

Some devices can switch mode between being host or device - I'm asking whether this is feasible with the FH-1 because it would vastly increase its usefulness (and potentially be much easier to program), especially live or where you don't want extra peripherals in your rig.
os
The FH-1 is physically wired as a host.
jonleebrown
mOBiTh wrote:
but that's not what I was asking

Ah, sorry--looks like OS clear it up?

FWIW, I use my case + Mio + computer live and it's not been no trouble for me. The computer can power the Mio, two USB cables. Done.

The Mio is another box to carry around... I'm glad it doesn't have knobs all over it--can just through it in my bag.
eclectics
wednesdayayay wrote:
oh cool so any HID device should work now?

the the shbobo shnth comes out in MAX as a HID device so this should work no problem then right?

First thing i tried after the upgrade.
So far i can verify the buttons work fine, but i havent got the barres or antenna working, though a hid test PD patch suggests they should be recognized.
Funky40
mOBiTh wrote:
Hey os

JFYI:
http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/midi-usbusb-p-4.html?zenid=ff2xXEkT kkY1qpN4lbB2x0

this device could be a affordable solution for that "problem". (ships from Spain much likely)
i have none, myself much interested to hear some feedback from people using it with a FH-1 wink
os
@eclectics If you can send me the HID report descriptor I can see how that should/could map to the FH-1.

@Funky40 That looks very useful - I'll get one and test it.
mOBiTh
Funky40 wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:
Hey os

JFYI:
http://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/midi-usbusb-p-4.html?zenid=ff2xXEkT kkY1qpN4lbB2x0

this device could be a affordable solution for that "problem". (ships from Spain much likely)
i have none, myself much interested to hear some feedback from people using it with a FH-1 wink

That's a very handy looking gadget for sure - they make some other useful looking utilities too. Thanks for the link! Look forward to hearing whether it works with FH-1
2disbetter
Funky40 wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:
Hey os

JFYI:

The FH-1 is an amazing piece of kit for sure, but if you don't need all that the FH-1 offers and you really just want to sequence your module from a computer you should look into the Polyend Poly module. It allows you to do this and automatically configures all incoming signal to it's 8 voice outs (1 gate, 1 cv, 1 velocity and 1 modulation). It can also behave as a host or a guest.

Outside of that though the FH-1 is extremely flexible and it's ability to allow you to custom control the outputs specifically makes it overall far more powerful as a means of controlling your module. (sequencing, arp, lfo, etc.)

2d
timmmofa
hey there,
i got my FH-1 a few days ago and it works like a charme with Squarp Pyramid + Octatrack through a iconnectivity midi2+ ..... amazing!

i wanted to combine controllers and add a usb hub (Elektron Overhub) and there it is: a nested hub. took me a minute to figure it out.

So for reference: The FH-1 works with USB 3.0 hubs, at least tested with the Overhub. On the Overhub only the 3 ports on the right will connect to the FH-1 though.

timm
os
Thanks for the info. There's a note on 7 port hubs in the FH-1 user manual - often these are actually two daisy-chained 4 port hubs.
mOBiTh
2disbetter wrote:

Outside of that though the FH-1 is extremely flexible and it's ability to allow you to custom control the outputs specifically makes it overall far more powerful as a means of controlling your module. (sequencing, arp, lfo, etc.)

2d

I tried the arp the other day with my seaboard, got some good results!
os
Funky40 wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:
Hey os

JFYI:

Just got one. It appears to work perfectly to link an FH-1 to a Mac (or PC presumably). Cheaper (and smaller) than an iConnectivity thing. Win!
2disbetter
os wrote:
Funky40 wrote:
mOBiTh wrote:
Hey os

JFYI:

Just got one. It appears to work perfectly to link an FH-1 to a Mac (or PC presumably). Cheaper (and smaller) than an iConnectivity thing. Win!

Psssh and way cheaper than a Polyend poly. That's awesome.

2d
Funky40
os wrote:

Thanks for testing ! much appreciated !

win
mOBiTh
os wrote:

Great, thanks for testing mate, also ordered one cool
elegon2112
i use akais max keyboard as a inbetween with no issues. fh-1 powers the keyboard then a midi cable to my interface.. perhaps there are other midi controllers that you can run midi through.
timmmofa
As i couldn't find any information on that topic in the manual .... is it possible to switch presets via MIDI? That would be awesome!
os
Not currently. Were you thinking of using MIDI program change for this?
timmmofa
os wrote:
Not currently. Were you thinking of using MIDI program change for this?

that would make the most sense to me, yes. although via CC one could also start to sequence the presets which might be pretty interesting!
ablearcher
is there a list of gamepad controllers verified to work with the FH-1?

That looks like fun to me but the old Logitech XBOX style controller I occasionally use to play steam games doesn't seem to be recognized by it.

The dualshock 4 mentioned elsewhere looks to be a bit on the pricey side, would a generic playstation 4 compatible controller work? any others?
os
DualShock 4 is all I've tried personally.

'Compatible' ones might work but in my experience they can be a bit patchy.
hyena
i only had a very old very crappy gamepad in house and it wasn't recognized.
but the mouse, oh boy, the mouse to cv\trigs is such fun!!!

i picked up the fh-1 this week mainly to do polyphony and to use old controllers as offsets for various modules (er-301 first).
but i must say it was about a year i was observing the fh-1. i was a bit scared by the manual i must say (even if i'm into gear and midi since about 20 years now).

i think that the comunication about fh-1 might benefit from more explicitly saying that this is basically a plug-n-play module and you just need scripts for very very peculiar customizations. but you neither have to send it pgm change or cc's to change his basic behaviours (only if you want access and control on internal sources-lfos and sequencers).

i know it's in the manual but it doesn't appear as obvious as it should because the operation is so easy and works so great out of the box i feel you have to underline it more! (i say so also considering the massive amounts of questions about custom scripts where you end up solving the problem answering that there's no need of scripts at all in that situation).

this module is awesome, the visual feedback on voltages, the merging of different controllers with or without usb hub.... it deserves more attention than it's got, imho smile
hyena
just a stupid question:
the only odd behaviour i found is with maths and midi to cv\gate conversion.

if i patch a gate out from fh-1 to maths trigger or regular input, i got a double trig. once on the note on and once on the note off.
this doesn't happen with other modules. i don't have a double trig if i ping the strike input of optomix.
i don't have a double trig if i trigger envelopes on the er-301.
i don't have it when i ping the strike input on the FOLD section of the DPO.
is it normal? there's a way to avoid it?
thanks!

EDIT: using the search function i noticed that i'm not the only one and the problem is noted.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175552&sid=6a19f4507 05c7d9c0bbf20931f45f38d
sasbom
You probably have selected "triggers" instead of gates.
If you want triggers, you should look into setting the trigger gate shorter in the settings, you can do that via MIDI I reckon

If you don't want triggers and want a
press - hold - release
attack - sustain - release
type of sound, you should set the midi converter you're using to gate mode
instead of triggers.

You can do this using the tools provided on the site!
Play around with them a bit, set them to exactly the type of converters you want, update via USB stick and enjoy smile

ah sorry, look what I found:

fourhexagons wrote:
I figured it out. Function retriggers when the voltage drops to -5V. It requires a 0-5V signal to work properly.

I had the FHX-1 at default jumper settings and when I had previously tested the jumpers on the FH's, I had only been listening to them (not realizing that listening to the output as audio will always sound like a click at gate on & off). In other words, because I didn't know it would make a difference, I hadn't even tested the 0-5V jumper setting with Function.

So my personal solution is to remove the jumpers from any FH-1/FHX-1 channels that are dedicated to triggers/gates. That's easy for me since I'm using FH-1/FHX-1 in a fixed way. I'm not using the default approach to having the outputs change as different information comes in. I'm essentially hard-wiring each output to a particular MIDI channel and note/cc.

For what it's worth, before solving the puzzle I had compared gates/triggers from various sources being fed into Function. I understand that if I owned a multimeter, I could just measure these modules.

• Gates from FH-1 (with ±10V jumper) – retrigger on negative edge
• Gates from FH-1 (with 0-10V jumper) – literally just sounds like a click
• Gates from FH-1 (with 0-5V jumper) – no retrigger
• Gates from Yarns – no retrigger
• Gates from Disting mk3 (Bank 1-c, Preset 3-b Clockable Gate) – no retrigger
• Square LFO from Batumi – no retrigger
• R-Pulse out of Ultra Random Analog – no retrigger
• Trigger from Tempi – no retrigger
• Square or exponential attack of LFO from Just Friends – no retrigger*

*If the attack is too slow, it won't trigger at all. That is, when adjusting the CURVE parameter on Just Friends in cycle mode.

Presumably, all the other modules are in the 0-5V (or possibly 0-8V range).

Os, thanks for your patience in keeping this thread going long enough for the solution to emerge.

Guinness ftw!
ablearcher
picked up the dualshock 4 just to play with the fh-1. initial impression is great! hyper

the initial plan for the fh-1 was just to use with the digitakt but this is a really intuitive way to jam or zone out on a patch, thanks for putting that in there! we're not worthy
2disbetter
hyena wrote:
just a stupid question:
the only odd behaviour i found is with maths and midi to cv\gate conversion.

if i patch a gate out from fh-1 to maths trigger or regular input, i got a double trig. once on the note on and once on the note off.
this doesn't happen with other modules. i don't have a double trig if i ping the strike input of optomix.
i don't have a double trig if i trigger envelopes on the er-301.
i don't have it when i ping the strike input on the FOLD section of the DPO.
is it normal? there's a way to avoid it?
thanks!

EDIT: using the search function i noticed that i'm not the only one and the problem is noted.
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=175552&sid=6a19f4507 05c7d9c0bbf20931f45f38d

Just based on your description, all signs point to the Maths as the problem. Looks like Os determined the same thing in the thread you linked:

os wrote:
It seems that these MakeNoise units have a general problem in the design of their gate inputs.

Have you tried changing the FH-1 jumper so the output is 0-5V?

2d
sasbom
Hey erryone

I finally figured out (of course, with VJ's help) how to properly scale my oscillators from Ladik, which I have done using a Korg SQ-1, my computer,
and a disting vco to compare against.

The only problem now, is that I callibrated the FH-1 to work with the wrong
tuning I worked with. Can I reset the callibration?

El Manuel says that callibration is stored in the settings, but resetting those
doesn't do anything.

I'm perfectly ok with manually recalibrating the whole darn thing but I'd rather not, please! So if there's a way to reset it, maybe via a hex or something,
that'd be swell.

Thanks in advance,

Sasbom
os
The manual is correct - resetting the settings (menu H8) resets the calibration.
sasbom
Oh well, I'm going to try again then! Thanks!
Must've done something wrong.

--

Edit:

Works like a charm, just as you've said.
I wasn't sure, if after H8 in the menu is selected the blinking lights
meant a "confirm reset?" or "press if you don't want to reset"
Tried both, and one of them worked :p

Thanks!
ablearcher
I think I'm addicted to using different interfaces with the fh-1

I saw this cheap (under $100!) Kat multipad today:
https://www.katpercussion.com/ktmp1.html

It seems it only transmits on midi channel 10. Using the scripts it looks like I could easily change midi channel 10 on the fh-1 to do triggers/gates with velocity or gate/accent pairs. Would one of those options allow me to have a trigger come out of one output and a cv related to the velocity on the next output when I hit a pad? Is there a better way to do this?

Anyone using a different percussion interface with the fh-1?
os
I think you would want to set up a MIDI/CV converter per pad, responding to one note only. Then each converter could have a trigger and a velocity output.
Sleipnir
Is there a way to enable CC7 (mod wheel) without scripting?
I believe I understand that script configs can’t be saved as a preset, correct?

Why oh why don’t any of the standard setups allow mod wheel? waah

Edit:will this be the case for the FH-2 as well?
os
Mod wheel is CC1. Since CCs have a predefined function on the FH-1, you would need to use a script if the predefined mod wheel behaviour is not what you want.

In this FH-2 video I set up a mod wheel at about 1:27:

Funky40
os, since i just had a talk about the FH-1 vs. FH-2 and the euclidean Sequenzing was mentioned:
this would be really cool if you could add that one into the FH-1 as well.

might make it worth to hold on the FH-1 just for this one while going for a FH-2 for better handling of complex USB-midi2Cv things
Supervillain
Hello,

Asking myself something ...

Would it be possible to have 2 devices connected via a usb talking to each other ?
e.g. connect both a squarp pyramid and a midi keyboard to the FH-1 with a classic usb hub, and make the pyramid "listen" to the midi keyboard notes
os
If you did that, both devices could talk to the FH-1. But for the Pyramid to receive the keyboard MIDI, the FH-1 would have to route the MIDI between devices, which is not something it does currently.
Supervillain
cry cry cry
os
You could achieve this with an iConnectivity thing like the mio2.
savethisrocketship
UPDATE EDIT: it took a while but a majority of the problem came down to having recently updated both the Pyramid & FH-1 Firmware, the Pyramid one wiped a bunch of my settings (wasn't sending clock to FH-1) and I must have bumped something accidentally while updating the FH-1 and I just kept compounding problems trying to correct it. Anyways, for my specific need I found a lot of the information needed in this thread, mostly towards the end:
http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180598&postdays=0&pos torder=asc&start=0&sid=8e98542b8cd9dd6b9d83355158f9729c

I hate to be this person, but I've been trying to read through the FH-1 manual & the manual of my sequencer and I'm just not getting anywhere, so if anyone with the know-how could spare a minute to help me out that would be much appreciated.

Short version:
I want to change ANY 2 outputs on FH-1 to transmit the External Midi Clock and the Start/Stop messages from my Squarp Pyramid.

Longer version:
I've been using Squarp Pyramid & FH-1 together with the default setting (4 channels of 1v/oct & gate pairs) and it's been great. I'm looking to scale back a bit and am finally trying to dive in to editing the FH-1 so that I can get clock and start/stop messages from Pyramid through any 2 of the FH-1s outputs. All the other outputs can stay at 1v/oct & gates as they've been. I thought I had an OK handle on Midi but I keep going around in circles and I'm not sure if my problem is on the Squarp end or the FH-1 end, but it SEEMS like there's a way right in the FH-1 menu to enable the external clock to pass, but I haven't manged to get it to work.

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this. help
izmond
I want to buy an FH1 to use my OP-Z as a sequencer for the modular. I've seen people talking about this and there are a lot of dropped notes and bad sync. I guess one dude got it working-ish, he used some wireless midi routing app on an ios device and an imidi connecter from the apple to the FH1. That's too much stuff to get... With both devices having so many configurable midi parameters, it seems like it should be doable. Does anybody have any thoughts on this or suggestions?
os
If you're sending MIDI from the OP-Z to convert to CV, that should be fine.

The OP-1 and OP-Z apparently tend to crash when receiving MIDI clock from the FH-1, but I'm not aware of problems just sending notes from the OP.
bodydouble
Tried posting this in the FH-1/Digitakt thread to no avail, hoping to get a clear answer from the ES people here perhaps?

"Has anyone had any luck using the clock in to clock the Digitakt (or any other midi device)?

I tried it this weekend and there was a ton of latency, felt like a quarter second. Any advice?"

Just curious if this is expected behavior.
os
No, I wouldn't expect that much latency.

What was clocking the FH-1 in this scenario?
bodydouble
Thanks for your reply!

Pam's New Workout was clocking the FH-1.
bodydouble
EDIT: Apologies, double-post.
os
Should be OK. When you say latency, what do you mean exactly? E.g a delay between Pam's starting and the Digitakt starting?
bodydouble
Not at the setup right now, but it sounded like when they were both running, the eurorack voices I had going were completely out of phase with the digitakt sound, like they weren't lined up.
izmond
os wrote:
If you're sending MIDI from the OP-Z to convert to CV, that should be fine.

The OP-1 and OP-Z apparently tend to crash when receiving MIDI clock from the FH-1, but I'm not aware of problems just sending notes from the OP.

os, I'm trying it out right now, the opz is configured to only send "midi out"(no clock out, no clock in, no cc's). I'm using midi channels 1-4 for the four melodic tracks on the opz. Playing a sequence on midi ch 1 works great, maybe one dropped note out of every 128 or so. As soon as I play a sequence on any other opz track, it causes not only notes dropping from the sequence on ch1(like ch2 is muting ch1's gate signal), but also crazy retriggering on the second sequence. It's like the fh1 is sending two gates for note on and two gates for note off.

I, just tonight, updated to the newest fh1 firmware... I couldn't even get a consistent sequence on ch1 with whatever firmware was on it when it arrived.

Any suggestions would be welcome and immediately executed. I have high hopes for this setup. Thanks.
c0ntr4d1ct10n
udbhav wrote:
Was reading about Maschinio earlier, and am wondering if that library would be applicable/adaptable to the FH-1's hardware platform. At the very least, all the annoying work of reverse engineering NI's messaging structure has been/is being done.

Os, are you planning on making the FH-1 reprogrammable in a way similar to the Disting? Don't expect you to spend all your time writing a completely alternate firmware, but would be cool if the opportunity was available to somebody else. Just idle dreams really.

Anyone know if I can use the FH-1 to convert the Maschine into a standalone Midi drumpad?

I currently use the Maschine Mk3 as decor for my studio setup.
ablearcher
I've been doing some polyphonic patching lately, using the keystep with the FH-1 as my usb midi to CV converter and getting a -lot- of hanging/stuck notes.

I noticed there is a new firmware but details on what it covers are pretty slim, is this addressed or am I missing something?
skylab001
c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:
udbhav wrote:

Anyone know if I can use the FH-1 to convert the Maschine into a standalone Midi drumpad?

I currently use the Maschine Mk3 as decor for my studio setup.

Well, I believe it will always need to be plugged into a computer, even when using it with a midi template. I use Maschine everyday with an FH-1 and it works great.
c0ntr4d1ct10n
Since I don't have a midi usb-din hub, i am outputting the cv's from the fh-1 into the General CV and then connecting that using the midi breakout into my Roland Juno DS88 so I can control it with my Roli Seaboard Block. This only seems to support monophonic playing.

Or have I completely done something wrong? Do I need to set this using a script?

Also, glide doesn't seem to work - i.e. I can't change to a different pitched note on the Roli without releasing the current note. I have the pitch out cv from the fh-1 input into the v/oct cv on Plaits.
c0ntr4d1ct10n
I'm having trouble getting the Touche SE working with the FH-1. I used the same script as Carl Mikael in his video (using a hex file generated by the online script generator) and made sure that it uses cc's 16-19 on channel 1. The Touche works when I plug it into a iconnectivitymidi4+ but not the FH-1. Everything else I use (ps4 controller, usb mouse, roli seaboard) works just fine.
soundshaper
os wrote:

Hi. We're hoping to use the FH-1 with expander for a special setup. Could you please let me know if this is configurable?

We're planning to use a Roland electronic drum kit to trigger eurorack drum modules. We need 7 Trigger Outputs with 7 Velocity Outputs, and also a CC to CV output for the the foot controller (CC#4) to modulate hi-hat decay, and lastly a clock output. The FH-1 will connect to an iPad via iConnectivity iConnectAudio4+, which will be sending the MIDI data to the FH-1 via USB. The Roland drum brain is connected to the iConnect via DIN and forwarded to the USB.
Thanks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 13