MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Basimilus Iteritas triggered by accoustic drum trigger?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Basimilus Iteritas triggered by accoustic drum trigger?
jenz
Hey wigglerz!!

I'm putting up together a 6u euro sytem to play synth and electronic drum sounds with an accoustic drum... I stumbled upon some demos of the BI and found it really damn near perfect for my tastes... I want to play it with drum triggers placed on my drum kit and plugged directly in the trig in of the BI. I want to know if it trigs well that way before buying it. Don't want any double/miss triggers happening. Don't want to trig it via midi. Some fellow wigglers told me that I should get a comparator for this to work well.

I have tried the DS-M and it works really well with that setup in mind... No need for extra modules.

Here's my rack previsions: http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/149984

Could somebody test this for me? If you don't have accoustic drum triggers, you could test it with a drum pad... Easier to find.
I will be using Roland RT-10k, RT-10s and RT-10t

Thanx!!
jenz
Opened to suggestions with my module choices...

I already have in my studio rack: yarns, braids, disting, Peaks, Addac102 and Brain Seed.
Wasp Filter, DPLPG, Latch switch, DS-M and 7u case are coming in a few weeks.
Eloc
A great deal of modules won't trigger properly or at all with a drum trigger/pad.

Drum triggers are effectively just piezo contact microphones, and thus they output a weak audio signal (AC, typically less than 1V peak to peak), and most modules' trigger input expect a 'trigger' signal (short positive going pulse around 5-10V).

You may be lucky with some modules if they have a comparator on the input for example that only concerns itself with the first positive going part of the drum audio output, but it's not ideal and may not be consistent.

What you need ideally is a preamp (to boost the piezo output) with an audio to gate/trigger. One option is the doepfer A-119, it has an envelope follower too so you can modulate various things with that aswell. It also has audio outputs, and you can actually use the sound from the piezo and send it through various effects to create interesting percussive sounds.

You'll need an A-119 for each drum pad though with that route, which can get a bit much hp and money-wise. But saying that, I have two A-119s and a Befaco Intstrument Interface (like a fancier A-119) to do exactly the same thing as you.

Also, check out videos of the Music Thing Mikrophonie, which is just a piezo contact microphone, to get an idea of sounds you can produce with one.
jenz
Thanx for your precise answer! I know that the DS-M, The modbase and Peaks work with a dr trigger... I'll retry to contact Noise engineering...
jenz
Is a comparator a signal booster?
Eloc
A comparator just compares two voltages, and puts out a pulse/gate (or triggers the module) if your input voltage exceeds a reference voltage. So with a drum pad the positive part of the 'peak' in the audio signal is usually enough to trigger the comparator.

The A-119s I mentioned can also be a bit tricky to dial in to be fair, but it's useful to have one for certain situations. You can pick them up quite cheap second hand too.

There are also the erthenvar tile modules, of which they have:
a piezo preamp
http://erthenvar.com/store/tile-modules/ctact
and a comparator
http://erthenvar.com/store/tile-modules/compare

It may be enough to just amplify the drum trigger signal with a preamp for many modules that don't work directly from the drum trigger.
jenz
Il take a comparator 1u then...
b9
All the piezo triggers have 1/4" trs outputs. will a ts 1/4" to 1/8" cable work?
Bartelby
Eloc wrote:

You'll need an A-119 for each drum pad though with that route, which can get a bit much hp and money-wise. But saying that, I have two A-119s and a Befaco Intstrument Interface (like a fancier A-119) to do exactly the same thing as you.

Also, check out videos of the Music Thing Mikrophonie, which is just a piezo contact microphone, to get an idea of sounds you can produce with one.

Mutable's Ears is a good option too, kinda combines the Mikrophonie and the A-119; contact mic (or external input) with preamp, plus gate and env outs.
SmartBits
I just tried it with my Roland PD-7 connected to the BIA. Soft hits won't trigger it, but a tad harder ones do. I then used the amp on my TTSH to amplify the signal a bit and that works fine for even the softest of hits.
tenshun
this looks like it would sort you out:

http://www.cg-products.de/module/peakhold/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1