MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

My DIY CGS RealRing
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author My DIY CGS RealRing
Muff Wiggler
I said before that my PsychoLFO was the first thing I ever built.... well that's not totally true. Before I did that one, I made a CGS RealRing. By 'made' I mean wired up the jacks and mounted a panel, because that's all there is to it. So that's why it doesn't really count. Anyway, here it is (leaning on my brand new teaspoon)

I guess I wil probably take this off the panel sometime, as I have a second CGSRR and I plan to wire the two of them up modem style
Muff Wiggler
look how easily it could be mounted in a frac ear!
eyehue
sweeet! thanks for that pic!

is it just basic wiring between two sets of the CGSRR to get them "modem" style? do you have a schem?
Muff Wiggler
don't have a schem, but it's pretty simple -

- when you wire up the CGSRR, there's two ins and an out - doesn't matter which in you use for carrier or modulator, the same thing happens both ways...

but, when you want to wire two as a modem, it does matter, only on the second unit....

- start by wiring up both CGSRRs as standalone ones. Then using the 3rd lug "normalled" connection on the jacks, connect the output from the first CGSRR into the OPPOSITE input (for carrier) that you were using on the first RR. Next hookup another cable between the normalling lugs of the modulator jacks - again it needs to be opposite jacks on the second unit.

Using the normalling lugs allows you to defeat the normalling connection by inserting a jack, thus letting you use them as two seperate units, or as one unit but with a different modulator signal on the second half.
eyehue
thanks!

i'm definitely gonna try this out once i do my next CGS order. though it might be a bit since i just received one.
thetwlo
real ring modem:
http://www.cgs.synth.net/modules/cgsrmodem.html
Kwote
i have absolutely no choice......must..have...two.
Luka
RRM <3

I have one too, have been playing my 606 through it for the last week modulated with my VCO. it sounds awesome
Babaluma
i have two in a frac ear, both with different diodes, both sound great!

is it possible to patch up the modem patch without resoldering things? i.e. just from the front panel, if you have two with x in, y in and out?
wetterberg
Babaluma wrote:
i have two in a frac ear, both with different diodes, both sound great!

is it possible to patch up the modem patch without resoldering things? i.e. just from the front panel, if you have two with x in, y in and out?
yes it is - all you need is two RMs.

- this is why I think the moddemod is such a great product.

Not from a feature standpoint (it's just two basic ringmods!) but because of their ULTRA-BRILLIANT MARKETING grin
Kwote
cool. this thread made me think of getting two rm's for the modem application and one for stand alone ring mod. i'll just be getting two now.
D/A A/D
The ModDemod is AWESOME.
wetterberg
D/A A/D wrote:
The ModDemod is AWESOME.
It totally is, but it's still "just" two ringmods that are normalled together, right?
D/A A/D
wetterberg wrote:
D/A A/D wrote:
The ModDemod is AWESOME.
It totally is, but it's still "just" two ringmods that are normalled together, right?

With awesome graphics in a tidy 4hp mod... It wasn't that much moola, and Ken is all out of RRM's as he doesn't have any more computers to salvage diodes from. As per my understanding.
wetterberg
I'm with ya - the modDemod will go nicely with an equally skinny set of ELF modules smile
wetterberg
D/A A/D wrote:
and Ken is all out of RRM's as he doesn't have any more computers to salvage diodes from. As per my understanding.

are you referring to this bit:
Quote:
Some RRMs used diodes from a computer from 1969, but due to the huge demand for these modulators, I have used up my stocks and may now use brand new germanium diodes as needed. The sound remains the same.
?
Kwote
hey i don't care where he get em long as i get em.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1