MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Utter Decay - 2hp Quadra Expander (+ decay knob fix)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Utter Decay - 2hp Quadra Expander (+ decay knob fix)
Bogus
*please excuse my misuse of the phrase "cross-modulation" at 2:28... Oops!! It's motherfucking bacon yo

http://youtu.be/rb-eRmwOD9w

UPDATE: fixed the Decay Knob being cut, just used a couple 1N4148 diodes per channel.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tNS6g-OowIc

This is a 2hp mini expander for Intellijel's Quadra. It taps into the Decay CV and EOC output via the jumpers on the rear of the Quadra. This allows for intricate cross modulation of the four envelopes in a compact package.

This cost me about $10 to make, same as a DIY Mult just with a couple ribbon cables added for routing. Below are pictures and some details so you guys can construct your own!

Here's how the cables connect:

Here's a little diagram explaining routing:

'A' is the part that the mono cable tip grabs when inserted, this carries the signal to or from the module. 'B' is a normalization terminal, in this circuit it carries the offset of the decay knob until a patch cable breaks that normalization allowing for modulation to occur.

*NOTE: Decay CV is handled by the top right terminal while EOC is handled by the middle terminal labeled expander 4
jenz
Nice!!! Matbe this will be my first DIY project when you'll post the recipe thumbs up
CF3
applause
FrankMurder
Following this
Donderdag
Cool! thumbs up I've been eyeing the Quadra for some time but was turned off by needing twice the space to access the CVs. This might change my mind...
Neo
Awesome! Ok, *now* I want a Quadra.
AAG
Wow. If I could have a 2-4HP module to access both A and Decay parameters I would definitely get that instead of the expander!!!

There might be a market for this smile
nullpunkt
Bogus wrote:
I'll get some shots of the Quadra PCB up here soon so you guys can build these for yourselves.

Oh yes please. This will raise your karma up to a new level...
nullpunkt
Double Post...
chvad
Rockin' Banana!
albiedamned
Isn't this pretty much how Intellijel itself started - by making a small expander module (Mind Meld) to a popular large module (Vulcan Modulator) that everyone liked?
Citisyn
Awesome! I was just thinking of getting a quadra and doing something similar since I don't have room for it and the expander. Glad to know it can be done.
waves_of_awesome
SlayerBadger! Might have to build this, great idea!
Bogus
Details on how to wire up the jacks are now in the OP!
maudibe
Nice smile
pwranml
Might consider swapping out my expander for one of these especially since I have a mult I never use.

Could the problem with the decay knob no longer functioning be solved by patching your modulation source into a mixer as well as an offset voltage? then the mixer knob of the offset would work like the decay knob? This might make no sense I'm just guessing.
Citisyn
pwranml wrote:
Could the problem with the decay knob no longer functioning be solved by patching your modulation source into a mixer as well as an offset voltage? then the mixer knob of the offset would work like the decay knob? This might make no sense I'm just guessing.

Yeah, that should do it. If you're electronics savvy you could build the mixer behind the panel (probably need another 2hp) and use the "B" signal as the offset, making the decay knob functional.
EDIT: Now that I think about it, you could hide the mixer circuit behind the quadra and keep the expander as 2hp. Ok, now I need to buy a quadra hyper
Bogus
pwranml wrote:

That's what I do in the demo video when I patch the bottom Decay CV. It's an LFO with about 2 volts of offset from a Doepfer A-176.
pwranml
Bogus wrote:
pwranml wrote:

That's what I do in the demo video when I patch the bottom Decay CV. It's an LFO with about 2 volts of offset from a Doepfer A-176.

Awesome. Just to be clear the knob does still work as long as you don't have anything plugged into the decay cv right?

If you have any more pictures especially of what it looks like all wired up that'd be appreciated. It seems super simple but pretty I'm new at this. Also what are those little white jawns that you're using to connect the cables to the pins?
Bogus
I fixed the knob being removed from the circuit, there's a video posted in the OP. I'll get new instructions posted here soon but for now I'm going to mess around with this.
stressstest
Thanks so much applause
KNYST
This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
If I build one, I would definitely add jacks for attack CV as well w00t
pwranml
Anyone else build this yet?

About to order the diodes. Little confused on the whole hookup still.

Also wondering if it'd be possible to wire up a "both" cv jack?
sjessiman
Love this, Quadra is great but I'm having a hard time fitting the full exander into my plans. applause
Citisyn
pwranml wrote:
Anyone else build this yet?

About to order the diodes. Little confused on the whole hookup still.

Also wondering if it'd be possible to wire up a "both" cv jack?

I built mine with attack and decay, so a "both" should be possible.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 1 of 8