MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Eurorack Mounted Monome
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Eurorack Mounted Monome
JP
http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=7334

and

http://www.straytechnologies.com/bliptronome-v2-tests-kits-and-code-re leased/

Now consider this…

I'm thinking, get a eurorack sized faceplate made with a usb in to one side, and you'd have a eurorack mounted monome clone.

Have that plugged into ableton running something like strettas obo step sequencer. Rockin' Banana!

So does anyone have accesss to some way that I (we) can get a faceplate CNC'ed using the original Bliptronic enclosure as the reference?
wetterberg
I wouldn't CNC anything, unless absolutely neccesary. the great thing about the BlipTronic is the whole thing, really.

I would examine what it would take to cut it so that it could mount directly onto the rails. It would need to have stuff cut off, the lower bit where the speaker is would need to get trimmed down.
JP
Not sure it'll work, the case is plastic, and the top curve and bottom speaker holes mean I don't think you'd get a good faceplate out of it, alteast not one you could safely bash on.
JP
I'm toying with maybe cutting the plastic faceplate out and then clampping it to a eurorack blank and then routing the holes, using the plastic as the guide.
stretta
Go to the monome forums and suggest a euro-format faceplate group buy. I'm sure there are people there that could provide some valuable insight, and if you end up fabricating something, you can get the cost per unit down with quantity.
JP
I'll do some digging and see what's needed for that.

There's already the monome thread and I link to here, so these two are nicely circular.

http://post.monome.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=7334

I wonder if http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ is an option.
pheops
wow, that's a really cool hack of the blip.

i'd be into a group faceplate buy. i was thinking of doing a euro faceplate for a monome keypad/logic kit i have laying around, but it would have to be more like 4x16 (its the big buttons)....meaning most apps would have to be customized from the 8x8 standard. this is a nice solution.

frontpanelexpress is great, in my opinion, have had huge success there. bigbluesaw and e-machineshop are options as well. i've also uploaded drawings to mfg.com and got really reasonable quotes from idle machine shops. times are tough out there, seems like shops will take on the small jobs now where they wouldn't before.

i'll be checking this thread:) (and now looking for a blip...just what i need ANOTHER button/led matrix)
Luka
isnt it better to have control stuff in front of your box?
pheops
for sure, but was thinking of it as part of the new tabletop 3U control box pressure points + choices joystick craze thats going around nanners

but yeah, wouldn't make sense to rack something like this, with cable clutter and what not... (edit: unless it was the bottom row of a curved calarts style case)

JP
Luka wrote:
isnt it better to have control stuff in front of your box?

Sure, I already have a lot of that stuff, I was just thinking a very small in box 8x8 grid of buttons and leds that talks osc with a computer would be a rather handy addition to thing.s
sgnelson
I'm waiting for the a modular that speaks OSC. I'm hoping that this ADDAC project may provide an interface for such a thing, but now that OSC exists, I would love to see a module (possibly based off an arduino, but probably something with more horsepower) that takes OSC over USB in and spits CV's out. Of course, in about every situation you'll still need a laptop to provide the connection between the monome and the modular. But I still would like something that's a bit more flexible than midi, and not as expensive as Volta.

A boy can dream.
wetterberg
sgnelson wrote:
I'm waiting for the a modular that speaks OSC. I'm hoping that this ADDAC project may provide an interface for such a thing, but now that OSC exists, I would love to see a module (possibly based off an arduino, but probably something with more horsepower) that takes OSC over USB in and spits CV's out. Of course, in about every situation you'll still need a laptop to provide the connection between the monome and the modular. But I still would like something that's a bit more flexible than midi, and not as expensive as Volta.

A boy can dream.
OSC over USB? I don't quite follow.
An arduino can be controlled by software that converts an OSC string into serial data quite easily.

Something (a lot) less expensive than Volta would be Silent Way, or, if you're even more cheap wink PureData is absolutely free and will work as well.

I use MaxForLive to control my modular via a motu interface, but I also use it to control arduinos via serial data. it's all doable.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1