MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mutable Instruments Braids "Bees-in-the-Trees"
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Author Mutable Instruments Braids "Bees-in-the-Trees"
vendenperros
I have seen this at Modular Square Facebook :

Quote:
Bees-in-the-Trees is a modification to the "official" firmware as supplied by Mutable Instruments on the Braids modules it manufactures and sells.

The goals of these modifications are to:

expand the internal, self-modulation facilities in Braids;
expose a wider range of internal parameters to external voltage control;
add a few additional features that may make Braids more useful or easier to integrate into a modular patch in some circumstances.

http://timchurches.github.io/Mutated-Mutables/

someone has tried?
sneak-thief
Yes, it's the bee's knees.

There's even now an 8-step mode sequencer where a trigger can step through user-selected oscillator models.

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=98339&view=previous& sid=4fe37d8a7510ea9d87069e43efa57580

Full info:

http://mutable-instruments.net/forum/discussion/6298/bees-in-the-trees -3x-more-testers-wanted/p1

AcousmatiK
I installed this since 2 days and no problems so far!!!
This bees in the trees firmware is just great!!! thumbs up
Go on the MI forum and PM bennelong if you want to try the New firmware he might still want to find some beta testers for it...

You can have now 2 modulations (ENV/LFO) wich can crossmodulate to send everywhere internally, more options on the FM cv in, so you can use it like the Level in on Tides/Sheeps.
The ENV/LFO have a choice of several curve/shape and you can set up the ATCK/DEC time, and a 8 steps sequencer for the Meta mode... we're not worthy MY ASS IS BLEEDING

it's not yet quite finished there will be some change in the next days...
ipassenger
Can't wait for this to be finished. smile
jenz
Is this firware still lets us use the new drum modes?
AcousmatiK
Yes here is what you loose :

These changes were required in order to free up space in the firmware storage for the enhancements described above.

A paschal oophorectomy has been performed: the Easter egg oscillator model has been removed and the ability to trigger Easter egg mode has been disabled. One could say that the code for it has been Pynchoned off.
The marquee feature has been removed.
The QPSK oscillator model has been removed.
The sample rate (RATE) setting has been removed. In Bees-in-the-Trees, Braids is locked at the maximum 96K sample rate instead. That isn't a problem from a CPU load perspective, because the sample rate reduction method didn't mean that the Braids processor was working less hard, just that it was discarding every second sample, or all but every third sample, or all but every fourth sample etc. However, the BITS setting is still there and still works, so you can still do bit-depth reduction for lo-fi grungy sounds, if that is your thing, and JITR (which is called DRFT in the factory Braids firmware) can now be cranked up to levels many times greater than before, for a really "dirty" sound.
VCO tune flattening (FLAT) and signature waveshapping (SIGN) have been removed.

Mais on en a discuté un peu et il va certainement remettre l'option sample rate reduction en place et faire une option qui mélange bits et sample rate appelée DIRT qui pourra alors être modulé par MOD1/2...pour l'instant il y a JITTER qui fait ça mais je trouve ça moins pertinent que ce qu'on pouvait faire en jouant sur BITS/SAMPLE RATE...
sackley
hyper So glad I just picked up a Braids. Will wait for an official release of this, still getting into the current firmware.

Anyone willing to do a basic description of how the internal patching works? Is it basically how the "TDST" (I think that's the abbreviation) works now, except with extra parameters?
stevenb
Bees-in-the-Trees adds a whole bunch of internal modulation options as well as well as an 8 step META Sequencer which allows you to set a sound (or silence) for each step. A trigger input advances a step. I was previously doing this with a sequencer feeding the FM input, but now it is all internal. Takes the new drum sounds and turns Braids into a drum machine with only a trigger input :-)

I've been testing the firmware for a few weeks and found it to be robust. I've made sure that loading this firmware and then loading the released Braids v1.7 works without problems. It is worth giving it a try.

Quote:
Anyone willing to do a basic description of how the internal patching works? Is it basically how the "TDST" (I think that's the abbreviation) works now, except with extra parameters?

@sackley, think of the Bees-in-the-Trees modulation scheme as TDST on steroids with 2 modulation sources instead of one, and each modulator can be sent to multiple destinations including cross modulating the other modulator.
AcousmatiK
sackley wrote:
hyper So glad I just picked up a Braids. Will wait for an official release of this, still getting into the current firmware.

Maybe wait a bit more to learn first how the official firmware works...
You can have the manual here http://timchurches.github.io/Mutated-Mutables/ but there will be some few changes in the next days...
Summa
nice, just got a 2nd hand Braids swapped for a MN Mysteron.. thumbs up
moofi
Bees-in-trees videos :-)

bennelong.bicyclist
AcousmatiK wrote:
sackley wrote:

You can have the manual here http://timchurches.github.io/Mutated-Mutables/ but there will be some few changes in the next days...

Yes, I'll try to complete a few more tweaks to it this weekend, but then that will have to be it, apart from bug fixes, because the flash storage on the MPU is completely full. The goal is to make a WAV firmware update file for the final version freely available by the end of Feb 2015. All the source code is on GitHub and is available at any time, of course. And some updated video demonstrations of it.
ben_hex
I can certainly do a video when the release version is final, and amazing fleet of work!
bennelong.bicyclist
ben_hex wrote:
I can certainly do a video when the release version is final.

OK, great! I'll let you know, probably in a few weeks.
ipassenger
End of Feb, End of Feb!
sackley
bennelong.bicyclist wrote:
AcousmatiK wrote:
sackley wrote:

Yes, I'll try to complete a few more tweaks to it this weekend, but then that will have to be it, apart from bug fixes, because the flash storage on the MPU is completely full. The goal is to make a WAV firmware update file for the final version freely available by the end of Feb 2015. All the source code is on GitHub and is available at any time, of course. And some updated video demonstrations of it.

Nice! My thoughts exactly. I like to understand things in their "stock" state before any modded applications. It's all so straight forward though, I had my head around the menu options in 3 minutes max - only thing that's throwing me is 'color' modulation relative to it's knob position. Just need to spend a couple minutes with an LFO and the nifty little internal knob position screen to get that though.

And thanks for the basic description up there. Sounds like fun!

woah we're not worthy @ this project! Seriously impressive.
wander
I was debating whether to pick up a Braids or an e350 first... Looks like the decision has been made for me. This looks really cool!
corpusjonsey
Meh. Nothing wrong with the official firmware for me. The added features are cool, I just have a hard time with all of the menu diving.

*edit changed so it doesn't sound so offensive.
r05c03
corpusjonsey wrote:
Meh. Nothing wrong with the official firmware.

Nice attitude. Completely unnecessary comment.
pwranml
corpusjonsey wrote:

yeah lets all never improve or add functionality to anything ever. sad banana

Really excited for this. For a small setup this is going to constantly free up envelopes and vcas. Thanks so much for all of your work.
wander
corpusjonsey wrote:

And there's also nothing wrong with offering people an equally great yet different alternative.

Looking forward to it!
corpusjonsey
wander wrote:
corpusjonsey wrote:

And there's also nothing wrong with offering people an equally great yet different alternative.

Looking forward to it!

True.
blund
corpusjonsey wrote:

corpusjonsey, I'm willing to bet that Olivier used plenty of open source libraries and available documentation, improved on them creatively and put them together with new code and designs in order to build most of his modules. I'm pretty sure Braids wouldn't have existed in the first place, or at least not in it's current (awesome) form, if it wasn't for open source. That's not taking away any credit from Olivier. Quite the opposite. It's brave and generous to build open source hardware/software and it lets all of us be a part of the process and see what's going on underneath. Some of us will take this knowledge and these building blocks and make new musical instruments in the future.

/rant
I'm sure most of us here know about and appreciate open source but when I see someone that doesn't seem to grasp what it's about I feel compelled to step in wink Oh, if you don't like open source you should stop use the internet, because it's built on it.
corpusjonsey
blund, sorry to have offended you. I have made no statement about open source anything. I love open source and have myself built a diy braids. I have edited my comment.
blund
I wasn't offended, just reacting to what I thought sounded a bit ignorant. Branching and improving on stuff is so close to the spirit of open source, I thought it was a very misplaced comment. It's probably has a lot to do that I meet so much people in daily life that really don't appreciate open source and I'm often taking a stand for it.

Sorry if I extrapolated your comment to mean something else than you meant!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next [all]
Page 1 of 18