MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Modstep - IOS sequencer: competition for Numerology
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Modstep - IOS sequencer: competition for Numerology
hamildad
Looking at this new IOS sequencer and the way it will use Ableton Clip style sequencing, and the wide range of options to manage sequences makes me think it might scratch my numerology itch for a while.

http://modstep.net

Website is pretty bare, but there is a write up on Create Digital Music, that gives you more info.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/02/upcoming-step-sequencer-transfor m-ipad-sneak-preview/

Now with more and more hardware sequencers announced, you might not need another computer based sequencer, but I'm happy to pay the £20 or whatever to get something flexible and fun to try out.

the touch screen interface at least makes it nearer the hardware side of things than a keyboard & mouse interface.
Matos
That does look tasty, especially for those of us who still have an iPad 1 floating around in the studio.
secretkillerofnames
Pro MIDI is a few steps towards this - useful for triggering multitimbral synths but Modstep does look like a more beneficial complement of stuff. Be nice to not have to lug a launchpad and laptop around but - i'll probably find another use for them... hmmm.....
DonaldCrunk
looks great! don't see much comparison to Numerology, which to me is more about modularity and routing - but the iPad step sequencer world has been painfully non existent for a long time. Ive tried many, and i still almost always use the free Little Midi Machines app for my live stuff. this looks like it definitely has some potential!
ModusOp
Agreed 100%. More envelope pushing in the ios realm please.

I can't wait to see more details about this ModStep. I hope it incorporates some probability options. I do like that about the recent StepPolyArp update.

Also, the 4x4 layout with the note names gets me hoping it might have some Rene-like functionality.

Why hasn't anyone created a "Cartesian sequencer" with midi output for ios anyways. hmmm.....
secretkillerofnames
ModusOp wrote:
Agreed 100%. More envelope pushing in the ios realm please.

TC-Data is the most envelope pushing thing i've seen. I haven't found it as immediately useful as Lemur but it has an amazing amount of possibility.
ModusOp
secretkillerofnames wrote:
TC-Data is the most envelope pushing thing i've seen. I haven't found it as immediately useful as Lemur but it has an amazing amount of possibility.

Looks pretty forward thinking. Going to read more. Reminds me a little bit of http://www.gestrument.com.
secretkillerofnames
ModusOp wrote:
Reminds me a little bit of http://www.gestrument.com.

It has some of that functionality but adds quite a bit more from what I can tell.

Gestrument is focused on tunings and scales whereas I think TC-Data is more about controllers and data.
GovernorSilver
The closest thing to Numerology on IOS will probably end up being one of the virtual modular apps. They all have some sort of sequencer module(s) you can patch together, but vary in MIDI support.
ModusOp
secretkillerofnames wrote:
ModusOp wrote:
Reminds me a little bit of http://www.gestrument.com.

It has some of that functionality but adds quite a bit more from what I can tell.

Gestrument is focused on tunings and scales whereas I think TC-Data is more about controllers and data.

Yeah, similar but different. I read the TC-Data manual a bit last night and tried to get a better understanding of everything you can do with it. Seems fairly deep, although I'm still unclear on all of its sequencers' capabilities, etc.. Must read more. thumbs up
Hazza26
Modstep is out!

Hilariously the AppStore says its for kids ages 6-8 hihi
Manresa
Hazza26 wrote:
Modstep is out!

Hilariously the AppStore says its for kids ages 6-8 :hihi:

Seriously? I finally gave up waiting and bought Numerology yesterday. Not that I think they're perfectly analogous, but still ...
ethnotronics
Just downloaded it. I only have my iPad, so cannot play with other gear. Seems pretty nice, but I get not sound from the sampler instrument (whereas the synth instruments does make sounds), and cannot figure out why hmmm.....
Maybe it's a bug or maybe some settings?...but could not find a manual (yes I checked the embedded help).
ben_hex
Got a video to do with the open sound modul for rebel technology and this looks like the perfect candidate for the iPad to use with it.
_seph
ben_hex wrote:
Got a video to do with the open sound modul for rebel technology and this looks like the perfect candidate for the iPad to use with it.

I'm eager to see that. this looks very cool and it appears that its first update will add support for Ableton's Link.
secretkillerofnames
Was in the Beta for this a little while. Rather worried they were trying to do too much. It was gunning for Ableton Live territory more than Numerology.

Interested to see how the sampler functions integrate - does it sample or merely playback?
pixelmechanic
Just installed this and had a half hour jam... seems pretty fun once you get used to interface... a good way to get more musical mileage out of my ipad and ageing Kenton Pro 2, and will tie together the few midi things i still have without going to Ableton. Clincher was 'active steps' per track.

edit: Fun has become frustration. File management is very buggy and is unuseable (for me at least)

This shouldn't have been a release candidate...
secretkillerofnames
How's it looking after the first update?
DonaldCrunk
i was in the beta too. got really frustrated with it after a short time, definitely not the app i was looking for for sequencing. very much tried the 'everything and the kitchen sink' approach, which is not a good fit for the iPad IMO.
ethnotronics
I just updated to version 1.0.1. It does not even start now hmmm.....
Delta T
After the update I found it to be more usable, though it still has issues. I did get three synths going: Animoog, Sunrizer and Synthmaster. Even inserted Crystalline after Animoog. Unfortunately my iPad 4 just doesn't have enough power to do much more then that. For some reason Mod Step and Animoog are not playing well with each other...very easy to get Animoog unloaded while adjusting other MS parameters. Not sure if its a MS or Animoog issue though..

Haven't tried to external midi yet...

Hopefully the next few updates will really make this good to go. I see a lot of potential with it.
oisin
a quick question to anyone who has used it (haven't been able to figure this out from any of the promo stuff):

can you load midi files externally, like through dropbox or itunes or something?

would be a great feature..
echoplex
whats the best step-sequencer for iPad?
GovernorSilver
echoplex wrote:
whats the best step-sequencer for iPad?

It's the one that makes you want to keep using it.

Pre-ModStep Era Example: Genome - some people love it and use it all the time, others can't get on with its UI and think it's a waste of money.
jenz
Modstep on iPad2 + iconnect midi + Yarns is feasible?
Fun fun fun??? More fun and versatile than a BeatStep Pro?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2