MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trigger Sequencers
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Trigger Sequencers
fluxxion
So I'm new to the site, have a rack that I'm planning/building out. I have a full 9u rack with a bunch of stuff and now have a 6u rack I'm working on. Anyways, I'm basically looking for some thoughts on a comparison of ALM's Pamela's Workout and MFB's SEQ-03.
I currently have a Workout, and really like it. I use it mainly for the clock inputs on my Z8000. However, in my new 6u rack, I've just put in a Rene. The SEQ-03 is a bit big, but has a few more triggers. It also looks like it has some extra functionality, and it's not just clock triggers, but a variety of types of triggers like CV and AD envelope I guess. I feel like I want maybe some LFO power in the rack, but maybe with the SEQ-03 I wouldn't really need it? I've tried to research how to really use the SEQ-03 but still don't quite grok it in fullness. I'm kind of confused on the 'tracks'. Are there 4 rows of 4 steps? And each row is a different trigger type? The Workout, for the size and money, seems like it will do most anything I would want and leave room for other modules, but I heard a good plug for the SEQ-03, so it peaked my interest. So yea, any thoughts on the two, or perhaps there is another module that is recommended. The Trigger Riot is too big, so I'm not really considering that for this rack, but maybe the next smile Thanks for the feedback.
tonewheels
I use the SEQ-01 trigger sequencer and I'm delighted with it. Really good for improvising triggered rhythms (with a Metropolis for CV sequencing). The only problem is the ridiculous black buttons on a black panel. I'm thinking about getting a custom Schaeffer panel to fix this. I have a Pammy too but mostly use this for polyrhthmic stuff and for getting the two sequencers to play nicely with each other.
Jamisnemo
I'm gonna shamelessly plug the Zorlon Cannon MKII...

Sure, it's not exactly a trigger sequencer out of the box, but I've written a custom firmware for the thing that'll turn it into a 8channel trigger sequencer....

Here's the video (embed seems broken):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0QU0nQ3ljg

Here's the firmware (beware, this is a work in progress):
http://files.zenpirate.com/zorlon_cannon_mkii_firmware/

You'll need a PICkit 3 to program it, and it's an odd width hp but it might fit the bill...
bkbirge
A simple high quality performance oriented trigger sequencer is dinsync.info's Amnesia.
sempervirent
Jamisnemo wrote:

No, this is a shameless plug:

L.C.O.
Delptronics Triggerman.
L.C.O.
also:

monome meadow physics
SunSpots
The TTA Circadian Rhythms is more of a trigger sequencer than any of those, but it's big - so I guess you won't consider it.

I LOVED the Pamela... espcially the toy firmware. It's pretty awesome, but it's a programming module... You are constantly switching through screens going back and forth shaping your beat.

I sold the pamela and my seq02 from mfb. long time ago. the CR is honestly lightyears beyond both and incredible. But for space... as much as I like MFB I think pamelas is pretty rad. Also check into that grayscale stuff too. I think you should be considering having MANY trigger sources.

Get pamelas, grayscale, and a noise engineering zularic repetitor... maybe a MI Grids? It's all fun as hell
Neo
grids is awesome, especially for getting away from manually programming rhythms.

ardcore plus exapnder is super powerful for trigger sequencing, if you don't mind a bit of arduino coding
blund
Throwing WMD Sequential Switch Matrix (with Expand) in there. 16 trig outs, 1-16 steps trig seq. No menues just jam away. Insert random on any of those steps so some steps surprise you. Or create sequences on random and save what you like. Very spontaneous and fun. It's obviously a 4 channel switch in parallell (it's main function, but kind of secondary for me). Reverse. Decide number of steps through CV. Reset on trig in. Invert behaviour on button press so it trigs where it didn't before. Did I mention that I love this thing? All that functionality in a total of 24 HP with expander.

UPDATE: size
ignatius
don't forget 4ms QCD + expander or RCD/SCM w/expanders combo. different way of working than a straight forward trigger sequencer but very flexible.
turin horsey
combined for size and feature set pamela is probably the best option, as you already mentioned. might want to look into ssf propagate as its a great compliment to any trigger module, especially gate/trigger length which can be voltage controlled. mult and calibrating propagate delay with your pam outputs will really expand on your options as well
ben_hex
Get Pamela's workout into Euclidean mode! You can still multiply and divide a few of the clocks for basic functions and then habe rhythms coming out as well.

Grids is very good as well, that'd be perfect for live.

A sequencer moving much slower than anything else would be useful for animating patches over longer time periods.
blund
+1 on Propagate

Bonus: with a fast clock it's a massively fun pulse osc as well
tsunamisucks
Zularic & Numeric repetitors from Noise Engineering is my choice here

4ms SCM/RCD is also a great combo
lionelfischer
blund wrote:
Throwing WMD Sequential Switch Matrix (with Expand) in there. 16 trig outs, 1-16 steps trig seq. No menues just jam away. Insert random on any of those steps so some steps surprise you. Or create sequences on random and save what you like. Very spontaneous and fun. It's obviously a 4 channel switch in parallell (it's main function, but kind of secondary for me). Reverse. Decide number of steps through CV. Reset on trig in. Invert behaviour on button press so it trigs where it didn't before. Did I mention that I love this thing? All that functionality in a total of 24 HP with expander.

UPDATE: size

dude please make a quick cell phone video of this jamming action! i've wanted a crazier switch for a while, (i have the doepfer one), but they all kind of confuse me once it becomes a matrix, im sure i'd get it in two seconds with a video jam.
Blingley
MI Grids* and Bastl Knit Rider have not been mentioned in the thread yet, so might as well throw them into the soup. A Monome-based setup might also be worth considering if the space *inside* the case is the problem.

*Oops.

sempervirent wrote:
Jamisnemo wrote:

No, this is a shameless plug:

Get on my level.

bendedavis
https://instagram.com/p/9O9aeKDtLR/

this
mattb
[quote="bendedavis"]https://instagram.com/p/9O9aeKDtLR/

this[/quote]

I have seen the prototype of another pretty similar module lately.
glia
mengqi's voltage memory has a mode for this (i think)

i'm currently using monome teletype for sequencing patterns
RickyT
Recently picked up the Knit Rider by Bastl, amazing.. absolutely amazing.
Only gripe i have with it is that the faceplate sits a lot higher than all the other modules so its not "Flush" but at the same time for what its capable of you don't even realize it.
reidbetts
+1 on the Triggerman from Delptronics!

It does take a bit of practice to get used to the menu diving (it's really only three different views), but I still find it very useful and fun to use 'live'.

The "control" input is especially worth looking into as it can be set to do a variety of useful things.
bobbcorr
bendedavis wrote:

this

Oh My. Please tell more.
bendedavis
bobbcorr wrote:
bendedavis wrote:

this

Oh My. Please tell more.

one word, probability thumbs up
bobbcorr
bendedavis wrote:
bobbcorr wrote:
bendedavis wrote:

this

Oh My. Please tell more.

one word, probability thumbs up

Rockin' Banana! nanners It's peanut butter jelly time! Rockin' Banana!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2