MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
FINALLY! I believe I have gotten to the bottom of the invalid session and logout issues. Please continue to report your own experience in the appropriate threads in the "Forum Discussion and Requests" subforum. Thank you all for your patience and support! <3

Blacet MX2040 Closeout SALE $79 Kit
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Blacet MX2040 Closeout SALE $79 Kit
dJ dAb
Message from Blacet earlier today...

Over the years we've sold hundreds of this very handy CV and audio mixer and voltage source/level shifter.

But now it's time to think about a different kind of mixer. Since we now have mixing options in our Super VCA and SBM, the MX2040 is a less critical module but you will still be glad to have one or two in your system.

The MX features a four channel mixer with phase reversing controls and a +/- 5V variable bias control which is handy for getting that CV mix just right.

A separate single channel has the same controls and is useful as a gain and or phase control, level shifter and variable +/- 5V bias source.

Our regular kit price is $104. On sale now for $79. Limited quantities, order now to avoid the dreaded "Out of Stock; Gone Forever" notice.

http://www.blacet.com/store2.html
werock
Reading that it seems that there won't be an immediate replacement, instead relying on the other modules mentioned. But if there is a replacement down the line it would be handy to have a single width mixer.
fracmonkey
Or maybe a stereo output mixer with level and pan pots. It's easy to use an external mixer but this might be handy for minimizing the setup?
e-grad
fracmonkey wrote:
Or maybe a stereo output mixer with level and pan pots.

2 SuperVCAs will do the job for me. However, my soundcard has 8 analogue inputs only anyway.
Samuron
I'm now convinced that Blacet has remote microphones in the modules they send me to spy on me.

A week ago, I was saying that I needed another mixer, and there it is on sale. The same thing happened with the power supply a while back.

I'm now wishing out loud for a ratchet sequencer whenever I'm in the synth room, just in case. grin
Cat-A-Tonic
It fits in one FU just fine. thumbs up

Acid Mitch
I wish the ready made modules were also on sale.
How easy are these to put together ?
Ok as a first project for someone who is a bit clumsy ?
e-grad
Acid Mitch wrote:

Blacet kits are extremely noob friendly. My first kit was a Time Machine (some 380 parts IIRC) and I had no problem putting it together.

The Mixer/Proc is a rather small project. Take your time and you'll end up with a wonderful module. (And most likely lust for some more Blacet kits.)

BTW The most awsome MiniWave is a good start for beginners as well!
Acid Mitch
Thanks Egrad.

I just bought 2 mixer/processor kits. w00t
Let's hope I don't break them.

The Miniwave looks pretty amazing. I've been watching Youtube demo's by Rezzn8r and another few people today I can't believe it does so much.
I can't quite afford one atm as I have to buy a soldering iron, multimeter and some sort of rack/case to put the mixers in.
What else does the Miniwave need ? Like Highllander expansion + an Osc to control it. Anything else ?
e-grad
Acid Mitch wrote:
What else does the Miniwave need ?

Since it has no internal VCO it needs an external VCO's sawwave to be driven to be used a wavetable oscilator.

Any other of it's function such as distortion, non linear functions should be available with an signal that meets modular level.

Acid Mitch wrote:
Like Highllander expansion + an Osc to control it. Anything else ?

I don't think the Highlander expansion necessary. My guess, it is somewhat challenging for a noob to add the expansion board.

Anyways, you'll have a lot explore with the well chosen two ROMs Blacet has available. It even does trigger multiplying!
qu.one
also fits in that other format... Deep though.

Acid Mitch
e-grad wrote:

Since it has no internal VCO it needs an external VCO's sawwave to be driven to be used a wavetable oscilator.

Any other of it's function such as distortion, non linear functions should be available with an signal that meets modular level.

Ok, that's good to know.

e-grad wrote:

I don't think the Highlander expansion necessary. My guess, it is somewhat challenging for a noob to add the expansion board.

Probably, but it's the sort of thing that if I get a Miniwave I'll be wandering what the highlanders like.
rezzn8r
Acid Mitch wrote:

e-grad wrote:

Probably, but it's the sort of thing that if I get a Miniwave I'll be wandering what the highlanders like.

a stock Miniwave has 2 ROMs, and an A/B switch that lets you change from one ROM to another. You can put any 2 ROMs in a Miniwave. The highlander expansion let you access more than 2 ROMs like the Euro format Megawave. I think it switches between 10 different slots, but doesn't come with ROMs.You would buy those separate. Also, I don't think the Highlander expansion is available anymore.
Anyway, if you get bored of the first two ROMs, you can always pull them out and put different ones in there.

I was going to suggest you take a look at the Socket Rocket ROM Manual, but I'm running into a lot of dead links trying to find it online at the moment.
seriously, i just don't get it
rezzn8r
Thank-you Wayback Machine SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger!
Web Archive.org FTW!

http://web.archive.org/web/20140823073330/http://www.musicsynthesizer. com/txt/SocRock_Manual.pdf
drumsofd00m
Here's the official Wiard overview for the EPROMs my Waveform Cities came with. I think these are the same as the default MiniWave EPROM.

BTW guys, it's Hylander, not Highlander.

I've heard greatly differing opinions on the difficulty of the MiniWave as a kit, both from experienced Blacet builders. One guy said it took him half a year.

Modules like the Mix/ Proc are quite different to use from the Super VCA e.g. when used to get intermediate filter types from the Wiard 1200 series Boogie. The SBM looks nice but also a bit crammed. Hope the M/P kit is still available once I start down that road, but I'm still too busy with my Wiard. And for the replacement I'd like something with *VC* attenuverters, i.e. going from negative full gain to positive full gain under VC. Has that ever been done in a Frac module?
Acid Mitch
Cool will have a look though that.

drumsofd00m wrote:

BTW guys, it's Hylander, not Highlander.?

There can be only one . Fencing

drumsofd00m wrote:

I've heard greatly differing opinions on the difficulty of the MiniWave as a kit, both from experienced Blacet builders. One guy said it took him half a year.

Maybe I'll just keep an eye out for second hand ones.
Acid Mitch
Just realised you to guys linked the same thing. Aye , interesting stuff in that.
Thanks for the manual + info.
e-grad
drumsofd00m wrote:

This suggests that it is an extremely difficult or complex built. A rather annoying misrepresentation.

I'd assume the door bell rang and he forget about the kit but travelled round the world for a half year. After his return he finished the kit and told you it would have taken him a half a year.

Blacet kits are very well documented, they come with every single part needed, the PCB layout is rather spacious. Perfect for beginners. I don't see any reasons why even a noob who feels very insecure should take longer than a weekend probably rather less.

Please note kit building is no competition take your time and double check any placed part before soldering. Take the time you need for the built is the most important factor!
J3RK
The MiniWave was the first kit I ever built. It was no problem at all. It wasn't the first thing I had soldered, but it was the first PCB that I assembled. Compared to the Time Machine and VCO that I built immediately after, it was quite easy.
Acid Mitch
J3RK wrote:
Compared to the Time Machine and VCO that I built immediately after, it was quite easy.

What did you find more difficult about building those 2 ?
Acid Mitch
Do you guys that have Mini waves find your selves using more than one in a patch, like for dual OSc action or for having them do different functions ?
J3RK
Acid Mitch wrote:
J3RK wrote:
Compared to the Time Machine and VCO that I built immediately after, it was quite easy.

What did you find more difficult about building those 2 ?

Well, it's been about 10-11 years since I built those, so it's more of a general memory. Off the top of my head, the part density of the latter two was quite a bit higher, which back then was a bit intimidating. More potential mistakes. hihi All of them turned out just fine though, so I think it was mainly a matter of perception.
e-grad
J3RK wrote:
Off the top of my head, the part density of the latter two was quite a bit higher, which back then was a bit intimidating. More potential mistakes.

Yep. Comparatively few parts and rather few panel mounted hardware (jacks, switches).

Acid Mitch wrote:
Do you guys that have Mini waves find your selves using more than one in a patch, like for dual OSc action or for having them do different functions ?

I don't use it that much as a wavetable oscilator but as wave multiplier and CV 'source' currently.

Have used a lot in subaudio for something similar to filter pinging (1) with great results.

(1) VCF set close to selfoscilation and pushed into selfoscilation by the MiniWave.
drumsofd00m
e-grad wrote:
drumsofd00m wrote:

This suggests that it is an extremely difficult or complex built. A rather annoying misrepresentation.

I'd assume the door bell rang and he forget about the kit but travelled round the world for a half year. After his return he finished the kit and told you it would have taken him a half a year.

Blacet kits are very well documented, they come with every single part needed, the PCB layout is rather spacious. Perfect for beginners. I don't see any reasons why even a noob who feels very insecure should take longer than a weekend probably rather less.

Please note kit building is no competition take your time and double check any placed part before soldering. Take the time you need for the built is the most important factor!

So sorry to annoy you sir, and to misrepresent the truth. Please take my sincerest appy pologies, sir...

Dude. ^^ I do appreciate your above average critical attitude, but your remarks also tend to be on the defensive and sarcastic side. You could just ask *what* took that person so long instead of a gag about their world travels. Maybe they just "took their time" as you recommend whereas they didn't feel the need to do so with their umpteenth VCA or envelope. (No, don't tell me how complex this or that envelope is...)

I just mentioned someone whose background and experience seemed as legit to me as yours, but I'm not interested in a proxy war. seriously, i just don't get it

Acid Mitch wrote:

Yes to both. I wouldn't like to have to decide between audio waveshaping and CV quantization all the time, because I'd end up with waveshaping patches lacking some capability for quantized pitches and with quantized patches lacking the (IMO) most interesting class of timbres.
slow_riot
Acid Mitch wrote:
I wish the ready made modules were also on sale.
How easy are these to put together ?

I learnt to solder putting together Blacet kits. They are perfect for a beginner, excellent documentation and very well laid out boards (i.e. all ICs mounted with the same orientation, nothing too fiddly).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3