MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Delay plugin recommendations
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Delay plugin recommendations
dan_p
I"m after a delay plugin for Logic, I want something really nice sounding, don't mind paying but I can't be messing about with iloks.

I guess I'm after the delay equivalent of Valhalla reverb. which is superb.

Grateful of any recommendations.
Hainbach
Dan, this is fun: http://www.unfilteredaudio.com/sandman.html

I still love this for sitting in a mix: http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/delays/lexicon_psp_42/

Valhalla Ubermod is also good, but you have to move beyond the presets.

Cheers!
ignatius
fav delays:

sandman (unfiltered audio) - sounds great.. has many tricks up its sleeves but can be a simple delay also.

soundtoys delay (will be ilok free when V5 comes out.. some day)

Ohm boyz delay!! this thing is legendary. it sounds amazing. it's been around forever but is unique.. still!!! don't sleep on the ohmforce stuff. it's all tops.

filterscape from U-he is great filter delay

fabfilter timeless2 is also amazing. really creative and deep but can be simple too.

i know there's something i'm forgetting.. hmmm.....
Mitchk1989
Soundtoys is going to be iLok free at some point?!?!?

That is wonderful news.
ignatius
Mitchk1989 wrote:
Soundtoys is going to be iLok free at some point?!?!?

That is wonderful news.

V5.. still requires the pace software but you don't need the physical dongle. it's on their news page somewhere.. from when they announced V5.

same style of auth as eventide etc.. give you the choice of dongle or computer auth and you can have two installs smile
thelizard
Thanks for the Sandman recs, Hainbach and ignatius! I appreciate it Guinness ftw!
zam
A new one I'm enjoying is Sigmund:

http://www.d16.pl/sigmund

Also as others have already mentioned:

Sountoys EchoBoy

FabFilter Timeless 2

EDIT: Also I forgot, theres some great stuff in NI Guitar Rig
dan_p
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I just bought Sandman and Ohmboyz, so far so good. sorted thanks.

Dan
leeski
i dig audio damage dubstation too
thelizard
dan_p wrote:
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I just bought Sandman and Ohmboyz, so far so good. sorted thanks.

Dan

Thanks for the purchase! I appreciate it.

I finished the Kill Switch feature last night. It sounds great, as it is click free. It's also automatable, so with high feedback values you can punch holes in the delay to create new rhythms.

I'm testing a bunch of methods for reverse delay now. I'm trying to find the one that feels "right" for Sandman, since it's more of a character delay. After that, I'll send out some betas to make sure that everything rocks! It will be a free update.
Blingley
u-He MFM2 is pretty much the most versatile delay thing outside modular architectures. The GUI isn't the best, and it takes a moment to get used to it, but it's well worth it.
listentoaheartbeat
Seriously, get over the iLok-Phobia and buy the Soundtoys Native Bundle. w00t

The Echoboy sounds incredible and has a perfect balance between feature-depth and usability.

Their whole line-up is outstanding. I don't get easily excited about plug-ins, but these are exceptional.

As someone else pointed out, you may also wait until they get rid of iLok with the next major version.
Kent
We had a round up of delay plug-ins a couple of years ago.
There is some good information in there. The link will take you my review of several plug-ins that I tested in my system. I was looking for a glitch-free delay that would lock to MIDI Beat Clock.

I love Sandman. News of there being a reverse delay setting is exactly what I was waiting for. With that functionality, I could almost perfectly replace my Analogue Systems RS-290/295.

A person could also buy SoundToys now and just ditch the iLok when once V5 is out. V5 should have already been launched, I believe. They are running a little late with this. I hope that it is out within 60-ish days. However, I also use Speakerphone and an thus chained to the dongle.
dan_p
I've only just started using software/plugins. I ditched my mixer in favour of running stuff through my interface and into logic. Initially to save space but then kind of realised, Doh, the computer is actually more useful than just being a stereo tape recorder!! So I'm now using a bit of reverb and wanted some delay.

I wanted to say away from Ilok as I work away a lot and want anything I have on the studio machine to be available on the laptop too. Having to remember and unplug the firkin dongle would drive me insane. Shame though as I did like the look of the sound toys stuff, maybe I'll take a look when they up issue everything without the dongle,. Though I shouldn't get carried away, I can't see myself using or needing a lot of software. I have DC8 for compression, Valhalla for verb and now Ohmboyz and sandman for delay, probably enough really.
thelizard
Kent wrote:
We had a round up of delay plug-ins a couple of years ago.
I love Sandman. News of there being a reverse delay setting is exactly what I was waiting for. With that functionality, I could almost perfectly replace my Analogue Systems RS-290/295.

Thanks!

Do you have a sound demo that I could listen to?

So, some technical details on why reverse is taking so long: Every reverse delay that I can find research papers or generously open DSP posts for uses a read head that runs in reverse or a granular strategy. These techniques work differently than Sandman's DSP, for which I managed to use only one delay buffer for both the regular delay and frozen modes. Basically, when using the reverse read head strategy, the "frozen" buffer mode would end up sounding completely normal. What I would really like is for frozen + reverse modes to sound like a frozen version of the reverse delay. It's a combination of that technical challenge, combined with the aesthetic challenge of making it sound the way that Sandman "should".

Here's my current thought, and I'd like feedback from customers. I'm thinking of making Sandman 1.1 just have the kill switch addition, simply so that I can release it sooner. Then, 1.2 can add reverse (which is tough), and ping-pong (which is easy).

Also, I've fixed some zipper noise on the Dry/Wet knob, which was an embarrassing oversight!
mateo
Satin has been my go-to delay lately, although Timeless 2 is great as well
dan_p
thelizard wrote:

Thank you for making it.

I had a play with it yesterday and I have to say its brilliant. Not only does it sound great but its so easy to use. It also does bonkers very well indeed. Heres a jam I did yesterday I posted in the Buchla forum, its pretty heavy on the Sandman!!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/191336142" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
chamomileshark
I have a bunch of PSP delays, I prefer them to Ohmboyz.
thelizard
dan_p wrote:
thelizard wrote:

Thank you for making it.

I had a play with it yesterday and I have to say its brilliant. Not only does it sound great but its so easy to use. It also does bonkers very well indeed. Heres a jam I did yesterday I posted in the Buchla forum, its pretty heavy on the Sandman!!

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/191336142" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

This is awesome! I love hearing what people do with it. It's been very surprising hearing how it's been used and abused lol
chvad
leeski wrote:
i dig audio damage dubstation too

ditto on that
thelizard
Also, here are some of my favorites:

GRM Delay is, bar-none, my current favorite delay. It's a multi-tap with something like 60+ taps, but a clever, minimalist control set. The only delay that comes close to doing what it does is the Ultratap algorithm on Eventide H9 pedals. If you make a lot of microsound-based music, definitely download a demo.

If you're on OS X and have an AU-compatible host, Sinevibes Octagon is one that I recently got really into. It's a very well-made spectral delay with a great interface. It has a very "pretty" sound, instead of the FFT robotics that many spectral effects have. I need to go through his other delay effects as well.

U-he's MFM2 and Ohm Force's Ohmboyz are my maximalist delay plug-ins, when I need every control and every modulator ever. In a similar vein, I'm growing attached to FXPansion's Bloom, which is less of a workshop like the others and more like a giant mashup of classic delays. It's the closest in sound to Synthtech's e580 (not to mention controls, since it has a Clean/Tape/BBD switch).
phase ghost
Logic's Tape Delay and Delay Designer are pretty great, have you tried them?

Tape Delay for, well, tape delay style delays, and Delay Designer for all types of multi-tap goodness. Tape Delay could probably use an update (though I still use the shit out of it), but delay designer is really great and easy to use.
dkcg
I didn't see it mentioned yet, but the Eventide H3000 plugin can run with the pace software and licensed to your machine if you don't want the dongle. I prefer Soundtoys Echoboy and GRMTools delay, but thought I'd mention the H3000 plugin. I believe GRMTools can license with the pace software to the computer too.

The delay designer in Logic is pretty good for something "free", but I end up using Echoboy most since spending more time in Ableton. Crystallizer if I want shorter delays for more granular delay effects.
CalvaryBand
UberMod has been my go-to delay for a while but I also use Satin and Replika for certain situations; Satin for tape-like echoes and Replika for shitty, dark, early-digital sounding delays.
secretkillerofnames
thelizard wrote:
Also, here are some of my favorites:

GRM Delay is, bar-none, my current favorite delay. It's a multi-tap with something like 60+ taps, but a clever, minimalist control set. The only delay that comes close to doing what it does is the Ultratap algorithm on Eventide H9 pedals. If you make a lot of microsound-based music, definitely download a demo.

I really like GRM Fusion which is part of the Evolution bundle. MultiTap delay with really easy manipulation of time and frequency.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2