MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

anyone using Octatrack to sequence eurorack?!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author anyone using Octatrack to sequence eurorack?!
echoplex
hi there,

for space reasons I am considering if I sell my er-101 sequencer.
as I recently bought an octatrack, this in combination with a yarns, would be the only alternative for me.

but now I was wondering if anybody already uses his octatrack to sequence the eurorack.
how is that working?
how is the parameter-locks working? ( I heard bad things about that)
what would be the best midi interface to run the octatrack and modular?
think the yarns should be fine, though?
insula
i use it to sequence 2 voices, i have 4 voices in my case and use octatrack also as a mixer and processing 4 voices.

aso i send the clock and reset (suqare sample) via cue outputs.

as octatrack has the capability to act as a midi looper, this what i want.

wink
bkinsman
i've been considering yarns or the hex inverter midi/cv
insula
octatrack spit 8 midi ch, so in theory you only need a midi cv converter.

hmmm.....
echoplex
@insula

have you tried only using one midi-channel but giving yarns 3 channels for p-locks, for example over controlling the filter cutoff or what not?
I heard that p-locks with MIDI work in theory but not very satisfied in reality? seriously, i just don't get it
insula
as i know P-locks not works for midi parameters, only for the audio parametes.

midi cc P-locks is a long term request to elektron... :(

in my case i have a Pitts MIDI 2 (duophonic) and not has enough CV outputs.

but i'm working on a DIY yarns MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Collinrudolph
insula wrote:

midi cc P-locks is a long term request to elektron... :(

in my case i have a Pitts MIDI 2 (duophonic) and not has enough CV outputs.

but i'm working on a DIY yarns MY ASS IS BLEEDING

So, hypothetically, I could not p lock pitch through a midi/cv into, say, an oscillator that tracks 1v/o?
insula
for pitch you can record midi from a keyboard, midi notes isn't midi cc.

is for the midi cc options i guess, you can tweak it but not P-locks (sadly)

this is my aproach, but is a powerfull machine and maybe other people use it in a diferent way.
Funky40
insula wrote:

p-locks work on midi, the long time request was faderlocks for midi which wont happen.
p-locks on midi are sent behind the note event, thus often apply on the next step and not the desired one, thats the drawback with the octa.
so far my memory.

i used to use a kenton 2000 pro, which died last year......
r05c03
I sequence my modular partially via the Octatrack, well actually I sequence the Microbrute and use the MIDI to CV capability of that synth to sequence the one of my oscillators. P-lock work. Also do not forget about the 4 LFOs, which can be used as proper LFOs, limited envelopes, or even a sequencer (in case of the custom LFO).
cbeefheartuk
I use an Octatrack with my modular but I definately wouldn't want that to be my only modular sequencer - it would be a bit boring to be honest.

One thing I did find disappointing as I was imagining loads of synced LFO's from the Octatrack is that the stepping from the midi LFO is horrendous when converted to CV - much worse than I thought it would be - it is unuseable apart for weird stepped melodies which can sound pretty cool but not what I was hoping for.
echoplex
r05c03 wrote:
I sequence my modular partially via the Octatrack, well actually I sequence the Microbrute and use the MIDI to CV capability of that synth to sequence the one of my oscillators. P-lock work. Also do not forget about the 4 LFOs, which can be used as proper LFOs, limited envelopes, or even a sequencer (in case of the custom LFO).

thank's for clarifying that!.. anything else would completely have made no sense to me..

yes, I forgot about the LFOs.. thought they only are available in the 8 audio tracks?.. but they are in the MIDI tracks as well? eek!
Wow, that opens up whole new views
insula
i only use the octatrack with my modular, also i need a yarns to have enought cv outputs..

very frustrating
Ashi
I use the OT with a Vermona qMI, pretty neat as you get 4 CV&Gates as well as 8 assignable outputs that work well as unipolar LFOs or envelopes (haven't tried envelopes really but some of the LFO shapes should work that way I hope)

and yes LFOs are available on MIDI tracks and can be used on the CCs, haven't listen closely to stepping but haven't used them other than to subtly change some parameters (0-5V max. anyway iirc) for which they're fine
Dogma
I just sold my OT - so the midi causes aweful stepping or not? Im waiting on an OT2 and then IM a commin back!
r05c03
Ashi wrote:
I use the OT with a Vermona qMI, pretty neat as you get 4 CV&Gates as well as 8 assignable outputs that work well as unipolar LFOs or envelopes (haven't tried envelopes really but some of the LFO shapes should work that way I hope)

and yes LFOs are available on MIDI tracks and can be used on the CCs, haven't listen closely to stepping but haven't used them other than to subtly change some parameters (0-5V max. anyway iirc) for which they're fine

Yeah, just set the LFO's to 1/2 cycle trigged lfos and you get a single half cycle LFO every trig so as to make simple envelopes.
concretic
I use OT as a sequencer for 104 HP modular row with hexinverter midi2cv. it works great.. depending on patch I use modular as 3voice paraphony, 2 voice sequencer or great drum machine, but as r05c03 wrote... sequencing with modular sequencers has better results for me, on the other hand storing whole songs, sequences and arps and ability to play it back anytime (and quickly record in to OT + resampling) are great experience.
vedicspaceprogram
I am using the OT with my 208 case that has Yarns and a RCD. I like to create intricate drum patters with the RCD and combine it with OT drum samples.

I am a gearflipper and I'll have to say that the OT is the one thing that I've kept (since it came out). It's like a Swiss army knife for electronic music making. It's the brains of my current operation.
mildheadwound
The monomachines plocks work perfectly with midi out. It has the 4cc controls, you can assign with plocks or it's lfos. The only issue I had with them, is that when assigned with an lfo, there's no way to stop them, so whatever they are controlling is always being modulated. I don't really get noticeable resolution issues unless I'm modulating a vca. They work fine for filter and osc fm duties.
echoplex
concretic wrote:
..sequencing with modular sequencers has better results for me..

hmm..that makes me unsure .. would you recoomend keeping the ER-101 and forget about the OT sequencing plans? seriously, i just don't get it
bugeats
Octatrack + Yarns works great for me. A couple notes:

- You can get around MIDI CC p-lock restrictions using clever LFO routing.
- I find the OT MIDI track concept very compatible with the Yarns layout concept.
- The Yarns doesn't convert CV back to MIDI.
- Get you'self a line-level audio interface for the OT + Modular. I went whole hog and got a NW2S::IO
echoplex
bugeats wrote:

- I find the OT MIDI track concept very compatible with the Yarns layout concept.
- Get you'self a line-level audio interface for the OT + Modular. I went whole hog and got a NW2S::IO

thanks.. good to hear that.
great new.. wouldn't need CV back to MIDI conversion anyway.!
What is that NW2S::IO and why would I need that?
Sorry, noobish question but I just don't get it
insula
bugeats wrote:

also 4 audio inputs, Fxs can be added to proccess the audio, a looper in real time also. smile

the OT maybe has too many capabilities, is hard at the begining.
bugeats
echoplex wrote:

What is that NW2S::IO and why would I need that?

The OT has lots of ins and outs and you'll want to take advantage of processing / sampling / resampling audio from your eurorack setup. The OT is fantastic for this. The NW2S::IO gives you chance to really take advantage of that and then some.

I end up using my OT to capture all the little one-off loops and textures that come out of my wigglings that otherwise would be lost / not have a home. As a result I have a bank of interesting bits for inspiration.
echoplex
okay, seems I should give my ER-101 up and use my OT for all sequencing duties..
so who wants it? Mr. Green
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2