MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Frac envelope generators
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Author Frac envelope generators

gnombient

I'm looking to add a frac ADSR envelope generator to my rig, but I don't know which one to get. The Blacet EG1 seems very flexible with lots of CV options, but what about the pros and cons of the marginally-cheaper Metalbox ADSR or the MOTM-1800? Are there any other Frac EGs I should consider that I haven't mentioned?

School me on frac EGs, o wise wigglers!

werock

Don't forget the new Blacet DAD (Delay/Attack/Decay). Not sure if it's shipping yet.

scozbor

MFOS dual AR is also great (if your into DIY)

aetherpulse

The EG-1 was (and still is) my favorite EG. I highly recommend at least one if you're in Frac. The DAD looks pretty tasty too!

fluxmonkey

full voltage control of ADSR parameters is the hugely useful... only options i know are blacet, and oakley (which would be challenging in frac format).

DGTom

EG-1 - crazy usefull module. I guess it may be overkill if you 'just' need an ADSR. But, it'll be an LFO - that can go stoopid slow, VC Slew as well as just a really OTT envelope. Use the CV timebase to alter the overall envelope as a track progresses, stick an LFO into the Decay CV so simple sequences suddenlly have a constantally changing feel.

Worth every penny! I have 2, but, I'm looking at picking a DAD as well.

(Disclaimer; I'm abit of an envelope freak, as well as the two EG1s I have another 6 dedicated EGs & a VCS, read into that what you will!)

tobias

I'm mostly 5U format, but my favorite EG is by far the Blacet, as mentioned way too versatile!!!

Kendall Station

Yes Blacet EG-1 is a def must to at least try....I really like my MOTM EG in frac format (might still have them at analog haven), a very good bread and butter EG with some nice options.

www.metalbox.com has one as well real basic but just 1 space which is nice.

so I guess the list now is:

Blacet EG-1
Blacet DAD
Oakley
Metalbox / CGS EG
Metalbox Dual AR (if you can find one)
Motm dealy doo.

anadeji

Just got my DAD in the mail...

Probably the most flexible envelope in 1 space ever!

BugBrand

teenageaudio wrote:

I hadn't mentioned this before 'cos the poster was after ADSR and this isn't currently available, but...

Kendall Station

BugBrand wrote:
teenageaudio wrote:

I hadn't mentioned this before 'cos the poster was after ADSR and this isn't currently available, but...

I take it you've got some in stock?

BugBrand

Kendall Station wrote:
I take it you've got some in stock?

Nope! -- as with most of my modules, supply is limited, especially as there are some large revisions going on at the moment due to new production techniques.

The ENV1 is a really important part of my system so I'm keen to get the revision done quite soon. It will behave similarly, but I aim to add EOC output as well and, of course, implement the new PCB techniques I mentioned in my forum and on my blog.

Of course, as with my current plans, it will be banana only at this stage.

adamf

The MOTM envelope is pretty cool. Large-ish I guess, but it has a nice big manual gate switch, which I like. Cycle, burst and retrigger options are nice too. I wasn't happy with the envelope range (too short for my tastes) but found a way to add a capacitor to increase the time base.

gnombient

Thanks for the input everyone, I think I'll be going with the Blacet...

D/A A/D

adamf wrote:
I wasn't happy with the envelope range (too short for my tastes) but found a way to add a capacitor to increase the time base.

good to know!

nathankirchner

HHhmmmmm....

Blacet's DAD has a pre-attack delay and an attenuated env output...

Bug's ENV1 has +/- attenuated CV for attack and decay and a sustain...

DAD+ENV1 is the most flexible envelope in 2 spaces ever! smile

Tubeampguy

BugBrand wrote:
teenageaudio wrote:

I wish I could find 2 of those very frustrating

cupwise

i don't get why EGs with cvable attack and release at least (decay and sustain cv could be useful too), seem so rare, even in eurorack. seems like an obvious thing to want to be able to modulate, to me.

diophantine

Sorry to resurrect this old thread! I plan to get at least one Blacet EG1, and one DAD, but I'm trying to understand what the MOTM-1800 EG can do that those two Blacet modules can't do.

The only obvious difference that I can see is that the MOTM has the additional trigger input. How useful do people find that?

- MOTM goes up to 650Hz; DAD goes up to 500Hz. Both seem pretty fast?
- MOTM has a dedicated 'loop' mode; Blacet ones just have gated/burst modes - but a constant + input solves that.

The downsides to the MOTM are the fact that the output is only 0-5V (fine if controlling the MOTM dual VCA, used as a modulation source that doesn't need a 10V range, etc.) and that it doesn't go very slow. Also, it is a full 3" wide with a relatively minimal number of controls.

Just trying to see how people like to use the MOTM EG, what its strengths are, etc. in case I come across one for sale and want to give it some consideration.

Mood Organ

I also have a question: what would you do for a shallow ADSR module in Frac?

I adore the Blacet EG-1, but it's far too deep to fit in my portable case.

emmaker

Both the EG1 and DAD will loop if you put the switches in the correct position and give it a gate. On the EQ1 you need to put the Sustain to minimum and it will do a AD LFO until the gate is released.

Operating instructions are on the Blacet web-site.

werock

Mood Organ wrote:
I also have a question: what would you do for a shallow ADSR module in Frac?

I adore the Blacet EG-1, but it's far too deep to fit in my portable case.

The Metalbox ADSR is shallow. It's basic but does the job.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules  
Page 1 of 1