MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Sputnik Quad VCA/VCF
Dogma
Im just about to pull the trigger on this as im desperate for some VCAs but IM wondering about the LPG and "combO" - is combo the setting for the LPG or something else? How hifi are the VCas? What is the filter like?
Seems to tick a lot of boxes functionality wise
ipnoteca
i had the chance to try it here in tokyo at clockface modular show...

first impression reminds me a lot the model 13 of plan b

sadly didn't had the chance to play it in deep since there was lot of noise and other people wiggling around...
Dogma
Hmm thank you. I dont suppose someone with the Quad could check what ICs where used: THAT, opa< ect
ym2612
"Both" mode is for lowpass gate behavior and has the characteristic ringing vactrol decay and is most similar to the Optomix, but the Sputnik is brighter in tone. The Optomix never seems to open up its high frequencies 100%. VCF mode is a 6db non-resonant Sallen-Key filter with a somewhat vactrol-like response, but it's faster than Both mode. VCA mode is very fast and doesn't sound all that vactrol-like. It's fast enough for audio rate AM. But when I was comparing the VCA mode with my uVCA, the uVCA sounded cleaner and snappier.

The different mix outputs are very useful.
Navs
If it's a low pass gate and you're asking about HiFi VCAs, look elsewhere hihi
sackley
I just ordered one (memecold15 we're not worthy ) and am excited to compare it to my optomix. To be honest I'm split. It seems like it's got a lot going for it, but unfortunately apparently it's not DC coupled and cannot process CV, which swings quite a bit back to the optomix.

I'm going to hang on to it for a while though, as a quad vcf/vca/lpg with various mixed outputs sounds too good to pass up, even if it can't process CV. I usually only use the optomix for audio anyhow...

Will report back... thumbs up
Dogma
Navs wrote:
If it's a low pass gate and you're asking about HiFi VCAs, look elsewhere hihi

I should have been a bit more clear. Im considering an Optiomix as I need a LPG and I like the strike idea - but I need some VCAs anyway so the idea of 4 LPGs/VCAs/filters is very enticing so I was hoping it was voiced - VCA clear as fuck, LPG - squeegy, pingy...
mritenburg
Dogma wrote:
Navs wrote:
If it's a low pass gate and you're asking about HiFi VCAs, look elsewhere :hihi:

I should have been a bit more clear. Im considering an Optiomix as I need a LPG and I like the strike idea - but I need some VCAs anyway so the idea of 4 LPGs/VCAs/filters is very enticing so I was hoping it was voiced - VCA clear as fuck, LPG - squeegy, pingy...

I have the quad vca/vcf and an Optomix. The Optomix is faster as an LPG. In 'both' mode the quad vca/vcf is much more sluggish. This is a good thing because it slews the linear envelopes of the quad function generator.

As someone pointed out in the other sputnik thread, the quad vca/vcf LPG opens to a brighter/cleaner frequency than the Optomix. This doesn't make the Optomix bad, you just have to accept that the Optomix output is more colored. Again, this is a good thing. More colors, more timbres and all that.

The quad vca/vcf in VCA mode is actually very clean and bright. Not much color at all. It's response is fast. It's a good VCA. Note: it's not DC coupled so you cannot process CV. This is a throw back to the Buchla convention of isolating the audio path from the CV path. The CV processor is used for processing CV.
analogue01
Got mine today. Sounds beautiful thumbs up
proturboplus
I also have an eye on this module. Do you know how it compares to the Doepfer A-101-2 LPG? Is the Doepfer module dc coupled?
Hari Seldon
Is it pingable? How does it respond to that, like most lpgs?
ym2612
Yes, you can hit it with a pulse or a sharp, short envelope and it will ring. It doesn't have a strike/ping input, but if you hit it with a hot enough trigger or envelope you'll still get the effect.

I recorded a bit of a patch last night using the VCF/VCA:

https://hearthis.at/M6QTY4zF/feb-18-patch/

Envelopes are coming from Quadra and SSF/WMD Mini Slew.
echoplex
ym2612 wrote:
Yes, you can hit it with a pulse or a sharp, short envelope and it will ring. It doesn't have a strike/ping input, but if you hit it with a hot enough trigger or envelope you'll still get the effect.

sounds goo but I hear a loot og bleed thought.. gosh eek!
ym2612
Yes, bleed is very present on all channels of my unit. It's only noticeable with high pitches. I haven't figured out how to deal with it, but I might try attenuating higher-pitched parts before the LPG and adding gain at the mixer.
mritenburg
ym2612 wrote:
Yes, bleed is very present on all channels of my unit. It's only noticeable with high pitches. I haven't figured out how to deal with it, but I might try attenuating higher-pitched parts before the LPG and adding gain at the mixer.

Use the VCA mode. If channel 1 is in 'both' mode, patch the output of channel 1 back into channel 2. Set channel 2 to 'VCA' mode. The VCA's close all the way on mine.

This is where quad functions gens come in handy.
ym2612
mritenburg wrote:
Use the VCA mode. If channel 1 is in 'both' mode, patch the output of channel 1 back into channel 2. Set channel 2 to 'VCA' mode. The VCA's close all the way on mine.

Do you apply the same CV to both channels in that case?
mritenburg
ym2612 wrote:
mritenburg wrote:

Do you apply the same CV to both channels in that case?

No, I use different decay times. The VCA gets a longer decay time so that the vactrol ring is heard, but not so long that the bleed through is heard.
sackley
Got my unit. Love it. Lots of bleed, as mentioned, which doesn't really bother me- if I want to get clinical I'll serial some channels.

Interestingly - it does actually process CV. Just OK, not great. It definitely colors the modulation (almost kind of like slewing/roll-off), but it is usable for CV. Maybe someone else can confirm this... I only tried in the VCA mode and took the direct out of that channel to the destination input.

I never thought about it, or have come across any info regarding this - but is that typical of a non-DC coupled VCA when you run CV through it?

seriously, i just don't get it w00t
ym2612
Hmm, I'll have to try it. I just noticed that when I applied a constant voltage and monitored the output, it slewed to 0V. Maybe it's more usable for changing CV.
VortexRanger
If it's AC coupled it'll typically pull any offset out of the input quick, so for fast-changing CV it'll be like slew, and it'll probably pass pulses etc., but for anything that changes slowly or stays the same for any period of time it'll just force it to zero.
sackley
Interesting, thanks for the quick reply! I did kind of notice it seemed to be less effective as the modulation source slowed down. I was using a dixieII as an LFO and modulating the sputnik cv in with Maths EOC so I could hear a clear on/off effect to Braids timbre input.
mritenburg
The dual crossfaders on the four tap delay do a much better job of processing CV. They must be DC coupled.
gottberg
ym2612 wrote:

Anyone knows if triggers from, say, QCD or Trigger Man are hot enough to ping the vactrol? Or maybe if I want to use simple triggers I should look at the Optomix?
paperwork
Triggers from the "Trigger Man" work great. Just remember the "CV" inputs on the Quad VCF/VCA are different from the "Strike" inputs on the Optomix, so the trigger/gate length matters. There's a big difference in sound between the Trigger Man's 1ms trigger mode & its 10ms trigger mode.
listentoaheartbeat
ym2612 wrote:
"Both" mode is for lowpass gate behavior and has the characteristic ringing vactrol decay and is most similar to the Optomix, but the Sputnik is brighter in tone. The Optomix never seems to open up its high frequencies 100%. VCF mode is a 6db non-resonant Sallen-Key filter with a somewhat vactrol-like response, but it's faster than Both mode.

Actually, Both mode has a 6dB/Oct response and VCF mode has a 12dB/Oct response, which is why it seems to close faster. Both are Sallen-Key filters.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3