MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

thinking of doing this...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Author thinking of doing this...
qu.one
i might do this to pop my DIY cherry (at some point):

question is: will it work? 8hp euro. graphic design is prob not final - laid it out quickly. pcb would obv be bracket mounted.

<new image below>
mmm
applause

Looks great!
qu.one
Thanks! Another question: are there any mods that could be done? Like adding a potentiometer that will be able to mix lp/hp and have an additional output jack? Basically a notch I guess. Or adding a 2nd cv for resonance?
BananaPlug
I've got a rough sketch of a 1.5" wide frac version of this and the filter should be here soon. It will be a denser, possibly having an input level control and a 2nd CV in. Once I'm sure the layout and features are going to work I'll ask you to make me an acrylic panel for it.

There's these simple little vactrol PCBs which should be about 1 Meg when the vactrol is off. It might be worth trying that as a feedback path to implement a quick and dirty VC resonance. Maybe somebody who has played with them will comment.
mmm
qu.one wrote:
Thanks! Another question: are there any mods that could be done? Like adding a potentiometer that will be able to mix lp/hp and have an additional output jack? Basically a notch I guess. Or adding a 2nd cv for resonance?

You could put the HP on one leg of a pot and the LP on another and take the "Notch" signal from the wiper.

You could also run the red wire from CF2A (pin 1) that goes to the top of the resonance pot into a VCA input and run the white wire from CF2A (Pin 2) that goes to the wiper of the resonance pot to the output of the VCA. As long as the VCA provides unity gain at full CV, it will work as a VC resonance.

You're just working the feedback loop at that point. Which is all that the pot does. No need for a vactrol.

Mattson Mini Modular
qu.one
mmm wrote:
qu.one wrote:

You could put the HP on one leg of a pot and the LP on another and take the "Notch" signal from the wiper.

You could also run the red wire from CF2A (pin 1) that goes to the top of the resonance pot into a VCA input and run the white wire from CF2A (Pin 2) that goes to the wiper of the resonance pot to the output of the VCA. As long as the VCA provides unity gain at full CV, it will work as a VC resonance.

You're just working the feedback loop at that point. Which is all that the pot does. No need for a vactrol.

Mattson Mini Modular

Love it - now a panel redesign is in order!
qu.one
Revised panels attached... 6HP. Hoping to squeeze them to this width.

mmm
IDK,

They look great! but, huge.

Then again, I have a 23" monitor hihi seriously, i just don't get it very frustrating

Couldn't resist. 8_)

G
Henfield
How about designing some 5U faceplates in Dotcom format?
qu.one
Henfield wrote:
How about designing some 5U faceplates in Dotcom format?

that could happen - but I guess it might have to be specific to mounting hardware.
Henfield
The PCB could be bracket mounted for 5U as well, using the pots to secure the bracket, or screw holes could be drilled for the self tapping right angle brackets that George can supply.
mmm
Henfield wrote:
The PCB could be bracket mounted for 5U as well, using the pots to secure the bracket, or screw holes could be drilled for the self tapping right angle brackets that George can supply.

They're not even self-tapping.

They're threaded for a 4-40 thread

Mattson Mini Modular
qu.one
yeah - i meant specific to the hardware used for jacks/pots. I dont think mmm offers 5U parts. once I get mine done, i can look into doing this for you in 5U... thanks for the compliment
mmm
No, I don't have 5U parts in stock. The pots don't matter and the LED's just stuff in a 1/4" hole, switch styles are up to the individual taste.

Here's a 5U EG I threw together just to show it could be done. I don't have any sort of cabinet to mount it in but, it makes a good example.

Mattson Mini Modular

OK, I have 2 pix of the front, I don't know how to work these pic uploads Dead Banana
qu.one
George: just want to make sure these knobs will work with the pots:

looking at:

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/AMP-TYCO/4-1437624-3/
&
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/ALCOSWITCH-TYCO/PKG40B1-8/
mmm
qu.one wrote:
George: just want to make sure these knobs will work with the pots:

looking at:

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/AMP-TYCO/4-1437624-3/
&
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/buy/ALCOSWITCH-TYCO/PKG40B1-8/

My pots? They'll fit over the shaft but, they're a bit short. I ordered mine with longer shafts so I could put the cover on it and still let people manipuate them without needing tweezers.

Mine have the standard splined shaft, F(oh) and Harvestman knobs fit them even though they sit a tad bit high off the panel.

My bushings are 7mm. I received double mounting nuts so I could use one for a back adjustment (like they do with switches) My shafts are 13mm from the bushing to the tip.

I just grabbed the knobs on the pictures from Radio shack's knob drawer. They're the 3/4" knurled knobs. They sit high off the panel as well. The 1" work well but, 1" knobs covered my hash marks sad banana

It was good enough to get pix smile

Mattson Mini Modular
qu.one
^^^ thank you sir...
mmm
qu.one wrote:
^^^ thank you sir...

You're welcome. Did it help?

PS, without sounding weird, I put two nuts each in your bag. hmmm.....
computer controlled
woah
qu.one
mmm wrote:

You're welcome. Did it help?

It will in the final decision making for knobs.

mmm wrote:
PS, without sounding weird, I put two nuts each in your bag. hmmm.....

they always come in pairs.
essex sound lab
qu.one wrote:

they always come in pairs.

I'm having a Woody Allen flashback.
Jason Brock
qu.one wrote:
Revised panels attached... 6HP. Hoping to squeeze them to this width.

Looks good, but the 3 jacks in a row at the bottom are probably going to be tight. Even if you fit the jacks in, remember that most cables have bulk around them and you need to leave room to plug them in beside one another.

Keep us updated, I'd like to see the finished thing. nanners
I'm thinking about taking the MMM filter and doing a 5U dotcom panel. Just thinking about options at the moment. I have some Euro but I'd like to move over to 5U instead.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Page 1 of 1