MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

Sputnik Oscillator
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Sputnik Oscillator
ym2612
Obviously this looks like half a Buchla 258, and is probably based on Roman's previous 258c. Has anybody compared the two directly, or compared this with a 258j/v/etc.? I'm curious how it FMs.
knows
I have not used any buchla modules but I know that these are way cool with fm coming from another one or a noise source or whatever.... At least for my ears they make the sound I want!
qu.one
Control is in Brooklyn and carries them. Perhaps go check it out?

*edited to stay on topic(ish)*
mritenburg
Comparing based on my subjective experience with multiple 258's, the Sputnik Oscillator exceeds my expectations.

My gold standard is based on the original/authentic Buchla 258's in the large 200 at the Evergreen State College. I spent four years with that system and it was the first modular I used. In all honesty, the Sputnik Oscillator is the only 258 clone that I've used that comes close to those original 258's.

I also had a pair of 258v's in my 200e system. I never really liked the way the 258v's sounded in my 200e system. I think it may have been that the 258v's I had output a hotter signal than the 200e modules and this would cause distortion. The Sputnik Oscillators pair much better with the other Sputnik modules in terms of signal compatibility. The output is cleaner sounding than the 258v's I had.

I also had a pair of Plan B model 15's. I know I'm in the minority, but the Model 15's sounded nothing like 258's to my ears. I felt the comparisons to the 258 were exaggerated. I'm still feel the Model 15's are overrated. To my ears, the Sputnik oscillator outperforms the Model 15's in everyway.

Now if you are comparing features, the Sputnik Oscillator lacks 1 feature, and provides 1 additional feature not found on other 258 based modules. Buchla 258's have dual bi-polar CV inputs, the Sputnik Oscillator only has 1 bi-polar CV input. This may not seem like a big deal, but the dual bi-polar CV inputs on the 258 are part of what make it special. It's response to complex CV is extremely unique.

Finally, the Sputnik Oscillator provides a sub oscillator output. This may not seem very unique or interesting, but it has proven far more useful than I initially expected.

All in all, the Sputnik Oscillator holds its own with other 258 based Oscillators.
ym2612
Very cool, thanks for your impressions! That's what I was hoping to hear.

I've tried out the Oscillator a bit at Control, and running it into the LPG gave me familiar sounds, but as I'd never used a genuine 258 and had only heard it in demos/recordings, I couldn't really compare for myself.

I hadn't immediately thought of using the Oscillator in my system, but I've come to really appreciate exponential pitch CV with an attenuverter, something my STO lacks.
knows
I just love the sine out on this oscillator, very wide range of sound, and with some subtle fm it is very nice. It is keeping my interest.
It is good to hear some first hand comparison between the buchla original and this buchla inspired module.
It does not matter for me if any of the sputnik stuff is exactly true to the originals, they are extremely fun and useful modules.
cpcompany
This is a new to me. Looking for a second oscillatorwith a different character to my Pittsburgh VCO so this may fit the bill.
funkyjunky
i've wiggled with this osc for some time, liked the sound very much, great fm with a wide range response, though i didn't like the waveshaper output, it's a little bit dull for me especially after braids FOLD mode. but this is all subjective seriously, i just don't get it
anyway - this is a great oscillator for such a good price, looking forward to test sputnik's complex oscillator Rockin' Banana!
meinviggles
I got this osc to compliment my Verbos set up. I also love the sine out on it, and I can't get enough of the sub. I've never had the privilege of using the original Buchla osc, but I'm more than happy with this addition.
qu.one
not sure why you would need to know how it sounds compared to a module you've never used? not saying this is a negative or harsh way - i just can't understand the question.

i thought my 258r (200 format) sounded pretty nice when FMd - but the Kilpatrick K3020 has been my favorite analog VCO for FM.
ym2612
I'm building my Euro system partly around the closest equivalents of Buchla modules I can find, within reason. It may not be the most logical or results-oriented approach, but it's what's working for me, as far as workflow and character. I know something of the character of the 258 from recordings and demos, and I like it, but that kind of impression doesn't compare with real-world experience.

I haven't heard the K3020, but I'll check it out.
anselmi
thanks for the oppinions, guys

just to clarify: we are talking about this one, right?

ym2612
Yep!
moofi
Are there any sounddemos available?
mritenburg
moofi wrote:

I just posted a quick recording over in the Sputnik Audio Examples discussion thst provides a glimpse of the FM capabilities for generating percussive, bass, and bell tones. You have to listen past the first 30 seconds of four tap delay modulation.
moofi
Ah, allight. Thank you. It´s not so easy keeping track here with all those Sputnik threads. lol

mritenburg wrote:
moofi wrote:

I just posted a quick recording over in the Sputnik Audio Examples discussion thst provides a glimpse of the FM capabilities for generating percussive, bass, and bell tones. You have to listen past the first 30 seconds of four tap delay modulation.
radiokoala
mritenburg wrote:
Finally, the Sputnik Oscillator provides a sub oscillator output. This may not seem very unique or interesting, but it has proven far more useful than I initially expected.

Yea, agreed, in fact it's very useful when an osc has multiple outs. Cool thing is the way you could mix them - for example after reflashing my Tides to Sheep I immediately dug the outputs thing: you take the normal out, sub and 1-bit outs, and with very little effort you have like, super fat sounds. screaming goo yo with sputnik too, I broke out triangle on my dwg and blended with waveshaped square that sounded epic.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/radiokoala/258c-tri-output-mod[/s]
note: surely mine is the same thing as oscillator, so that counts for a demo too, for who's inquired. thumbs up
Krispy
Interested in the Sputnik sound.

I'm intrigued to know how close to Buchla they sound? Not sure if this is the goal. I haven't really heard any examples yet that makes me go wow like Buchla stuff does...can sputnik modules create these kindve percussive sounds for example?

http://youtu.be/Gktt7z2thvk

Soundwise - I find the Buchla gear has a finesse and quality like no other. Just intrigued if you guys think Sputnik gets close to this?
Rod Serling Fan Club
Krispy,

The sputnik modules so far are meant to be similar to original Buchla 200 modules, which in some cases are different from 200e. The video you reference is 200e. I would hazard to say that what you like is the new digital buchla sound. 200e has digital oscillators (259e and 261e). So you would get closer looking into digital oscillators with similar function to the "e" buchla oscillators (e.g. Hertz Donut, Shapeshifter, etc.)

Many buchla owners supplement their digital "e" oscillators with some variation of the 258 (Verbos, Roman, original) for the beefier analog sounds. The Sputnik is based on the 258.

If you have to have the exact 200e sound you are probably best served buying a 200e. An easel wont help you in that regard either as the easel complex oscillator is analog/70s, not digital like the 261e/259e. Also keep in mind the sounds that come out of the machines are highly dependent on the person making the music.
Krispy
Cheers Rod....ah right so it's the digital side.
This helps a lot smile I'm kindve tempted with the Buchla Lem4 Snoopy, which I guess is a move towards the sound I like.

Very interesting how there seems to be a slight shift towards digital modules at the moment....with a lot of interest in mutable instruments and other digital stuff.
Socrates
radiokoala wrote:
mritenburg wrote:

Yea, agreed, in fact it's very useful when an osc has multiple outs. Cool thing is the way you could mix them - for example after reflashing my Tides to Sheep I immediately dug the outputs thing: you take the normal out, sub and 1-bit outs, and with very little effort you have like, super fat sounds. screaming goo yo with sputnik too, I broke out triangle on my dwg and blended with waveshaped square that sounded epic.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/radiokoala/258c-tri-output-mod[/s]
note: surely mine is the same thing as oscillator, so that counts for a demo too, for who's inquired. thumbs up

incredible richness in this oscillator, loving the punch and strength of it! tearing my speakers apart, good stuff !
radiokoala
Socrates
yay! Thank you very much! This is fun!

I used the same technique of overlaying waveforms in the first track (Tidescrape) on my Analog Explorations album.. so there's also that, but even more musical example:

radiokoala.bandcamp.com

And on "Come Into Leaf" there are several overdubs of 258 there too, so one more example of Sputnik fm. thumbs up
ym2612
So I didn't expect this, but I guess the FM input is exponential, and AC coupled. I was trying it out at Control and wondering why the FM depth was so crazy, if it was linear - which I think it isn't. Makes sense, considering the origin, but I thought others might want to be informed. Would be nice if there was a jumper for this. The CV input is also exponential, and doesn't respond in quite the same way.
ignatius
moofi wrote:

4 videos w/line level audio on the MW youtube page all feature the sputnik oscillator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUzt2ZwOckYZuBJJ9SEpvYw/videos

around 2 minutes in the oscillator sings a bit more smile

radiokoala
ym2612 wrote:
So I didn't expect this, but I guess the FM input is exponential, and AC coupled. I was trying it out at Control and wondering why the FM depth was so crazy, if it was linear - which I think it isn't. Makes sense, considering the origin, but I thought others might want to be informed. Would be nice if there was a jumper for this. The CV input is also exponential, and doesn't respond in quite the same way.

If it were AC coupled it wouldn't pass slow LFO or voltage offsets surely? Which I'm sure is not the case (but a lot of depth indeed). Expo ones on this design are v/oct and +/- input right below in the top section. Next time try the same cv into +/- then fm – you gotta notice it will respond differently. I'm 99% certain fm is linear.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 1 of 5