Moog Voyager fault alert

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, luketeaford, lisa, Joe.

woodbank
Common Wiggler

Moog Voyager fault alert

Post by woodbank » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:04 pm

My XL fell into this category and did need a £250 fix. Worth checking if you have one and have not received the email below. Sorry if posted earlier

Dear Registered Owner of the Minimoog Voyager:

This is a follow-up to the letter I sent on January 19th. First, I want to thank you all for the very positive response we have received. As you can see, we take the quality of our products and our service to you very seriously. The problem stated in the January letter has only become apparent in the last few months, but we are committed to doing what is necessary to rectify it.

Minimoog Voyager owners are as passionate about their instrument as we are. Not surprisingly, following the January letter, our Service Department has received numerous calls. However, 90% of these inquiries have been unnecessary and so I’d like to clarify the following:

The problem stated in the January letter only affects Minimoog Voyagers built between mid-2010 and January 2013 with the following serial numbers: Select Series 829-1724, Performer 2990-3445, Electric Blue 1506-2075, RME 1330-1925, XL 1-545, and Lunar Select Series 1-57. If your Minimoog Voyager is not within this serial number range, you should not expect these issues and we would appreciate it if you do not unnecessarily burden our small Service Staff with a call.

If your Minimoog Voyager is not exhibiting problems, then there is no need for you to be concerned. We are confident that the issues previously identified have already materialized in 99% of the instruments that will experience the problem. Therefore, if you are not experiencing problems currently, you should not expect to in the future.

The problem identified in the January letter is more prevalent in countries with 220V power systems. Those countries with 110/120V power, like the USA and Japan, have less cause for concern.

And finally, if you have a Minimoog Voyager within the above serial number range and it is exhibiting an issue unrelated to those stated in the January letter, then we will handle it for you, but it will be serviced outside of any warranty.
Thank you for being our customer.

Sincerely,
Michael Adams
President Moog Music Inc.

Copyright © 2015 Moog Music inc, All rights reserved.
We send news and special offers to customers who opted in at http://www.moogmusic.com/.

Our mailing address is:
Moog Music inc
160 broadway st
Asheville, NC 28801

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

sbDigisound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sbDigisound » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:58 am

Cool - nice timing!
I just bought one & was wondering what were the affected serial numbers.
The one they shipped me is after this range.

Thanks for sharing.

Simon

sloth713
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sloth713 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:07 pm

I have an XL to that falls in this category but fortunately for me my is acting normal as far as I could tell. Thanks for sharing this bulletin woodbank because there are plenty of second hand voyagers out there. I love my voyager shame this nonsense had to happen.

woodbank
Common Wiggler

Post by woodbank » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:10 pm

Hoping to get a partial refund but no feedback as yet.

I treated the moog better than i do myself so was a bit disappointed. Anyway it sounds great now and fingers crossed no more probs

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:15 pm

Does anybody know which components are faulty? Moog won't say.
http://involucija.org - post-industrial euphoric deprogramming. LP coming soon on a+w.

sbDigisound
Learning to Wiggle

Post by sbDigisound » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:24 pm

From Moog forum -
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=15

This post is most relevant -

I bring up this topic because of this email that I received today from Moog Music. And just in case some of you Voyager owners out there might not have registered your machine with Moog, here's a copy of that notice about potentially defective Voyagers:

"Dear Registered Owner of the Minimoog Voyager:
Thank you for being a Moog customer and owning our finest hand-built analog synthesizer, the Minimoog Voyager. Moog Music has a reputation for making world class instruments and we expect them to give you a lifetime of musical pleasure. Whenever this experience is compromised, we must take steps to rectify the issue as soon as it is known to us.

It has come to our attention that an isolated number of Minimoog Voyager Analog Boards built between mid-2010 and January 2013 may have been populated with faulty IC’s. The intermittent nature of these faulty IC’s was not captured during our Total Quality Control program at the factory. Please know that the potentially faulty IC’s were replaced in Minimoog Voyager production beginning January 2013, as such we are confident in the reliability of the product we are shipping today.

If you are the original owner of a registered Minimoog Voyager (any model) purchased between mid-2010 and January 2013, and experience any of the following issues, please contact Moog service (andy@moogmusic.com or 828-251-0090 x221) or your international service center and we will service your Minimoog Voyager as soon as possible:

• All oscillators are subsonic or inaudible

• An oscillator no longer works

• One or both filter channels no longer works

• Envelopes trigger incorrectly

• Switches no longer trigger audible sonic changes

• Mod buss no longer functional

• Source/Destination assignment no longer functional

• Loss of pitch control

• Failure to trigger via keyboard or MIDI
• LFO will no longer sync to keyboard or MIDI

• Oscillator Wave Shaping section no longer works

Thank you for your continued support of Moog Music.

Sincerely,
Michael Adams
President Moog Music Inc. "

woodbank
Common Wiggler

Post by woodbank » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:32 pm

sbDigisound wrote:From Moog forum -
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=15

This post is most relevant -

I bring up this topic because of this email that I received today from Moog Music. And just in case some of you Voyager owners out there might not have registered your machine with Moog, here's a copy of that notice about potentially defective Voyagers:

"Dear Registered Owner of the Minimoog Voyager:
Thank you for being a Moog customer and owning our finest hand-built analog synthesizer, the Minimoog Voyager. Moog Music has a reputation for making world class instruments and we expect them to give you a lifetime of musical pleasure. Whenever this experience is compromised, we must take steps to rectify the issue as soon as it is known to us.

It has come to our attention that an isolated number of Minimoog Voyager Analog Boards built between mid-2010 and January 2013 may have been populated with faulty IC’s. The intermittent nature of these faulty IC’s was not captured during our Total Quality Control program at the factory. Please know that the potentially faulty IC’s were replaced in Minimoog Voyager production beginning January 2013, as such we are confident in the reliability of the product we are shipping today.

If you are the original owner of a registered Minimoog Voyager (any model) purchased between mid-2010 and January 2013, and experience any of the following issues, please contact Moog service (andy@moogmusic.com or 828-251-0090 x221) or your international service center and we will service your Minimoog Voyager as soon as possible:

• All oscillators are subsonic or inaudible

• An oscillator no longer works

• One or both filter channels no longer works

• Envelopes trigger incorrectly

• Switches no longer trigger audible sonic changes

• Mod buss no longer functional

• Source/Destination assignment no longer functional

• Loss of pitch control

• Failure to trigger via keyboard or MIDI
• LFO will no longer sync to keyboard or MIDI

• Oscillator Wave Shaping section no longer works

Thank you for your continued support of Moog Music.

Sincerely,
Michael Adams
President Moog Music Inc. "
agreed. it was buried back in my other emails but did not include the actual ranges

OurDarkness
Common Wiggler

Post by OurDarkness » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:13 pm

sneak-thief wrote:Does anybody know which components are faulty? Moog won't say.
Don Solaris @Gearslutz contacted Moog and he was informed that it was a bunch of naughty Texas Instruments ICs
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams

makers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by makers » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:15 pm

I wonder what exactly they mean by "outside of any warranty"?

I have an Electric Blue within the range listed, I took in for repair this Summer after OSC 1 stopped tracking.

beyourdog
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by beyourdog » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Very interesting to get at LAST this official notification from Moog.

I love the company but when I mentioned on the Moog forum maybe a year ago that there was some problems on the Analog boards of the Voyagers because of the software driving it too hard, people said I was crazy....although I got the news from the official Moog Maintenance / repairer in Australia...when the problem occurred to mine.

It was quite painful, because despite being under guarantee I had to wait from Awave/audio chocolate to order and then receive the boards from Moog with shipment of other orders...it took something like 7-8 weeks...at last they're making it official and stopped denying the problem,..

woodbank
Common Wiggler

Post by woodbank » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 pm

makers wrote:I wonder what exactly they mean by "outside of any warranty"?

I have an Electric Blue within the range listed, I took in for repair this Summer after OSC 1 stopped tracking.
Outside of warranty refers to problems unrelated to the officially confirmed fault. Therefore if your fault is related then you should be refunded the repair even if your warranty has expired....he says hoping

woodbank
Common Wiggler

Post by woodbank » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:35 pm

woodbank wrote:
makers wrote:I wonder what exactly they mean by "outside of any warranty"?

Outside of warranty refers to problems unrelated to the officially confirmed fault. Therefore if your fault is related then you should be refunded the repair even if your warranty has expired....he says hoping
JUST TO CORRECT MYSELF. IF ITS NOT WITHIN WARRANTY THEN DESPITE THE KNOWN FAULT YOU STILL HAVE TO PAY THE REPAIR COST.....BUMMER

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm

"And finally, if you have a Minimoog Voyager within the above serial number range and it is exhibiting an issue unrelated to those stated in the January letter, then we will handle it for you, but it will be serviced outside of any warranty. "

That just means they will fix it/pay for the repair even if it is no longer covered by the normal warranty for this known fault.

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zedius » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Edit: Just put my foot in my mouth here. Thansk BTByrd for pointing out that I misread the word 'unrelated' as 'related' and spoke too soon.
Last edited by zedius on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

sneak-thief
Ultra Wiggler

Post by sneak-thief » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:30 pm

OurDarkness wrote:
sneak-thief wrote:Does anybody know which components are faulty? Moog won't say.
Don Solaris @Gearslutz contacted Moog and he was informed that it was a bunch of naughty Texas Instruments ICs
Thanks!
http://involucija.org - post-industrial euphoric deprogramming. LP coming soon on a+w.

woodbank
Common Wiggler

Post by woodbank » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:49 pm

thetwlo wrote:"And finally, if you have a Minimoog Voyager within the above serial number range and it is exhibiting an issue unrelated to those stated in the January letter, then we will handle it for you, but it will be serviced outside of any warranty. "

That just means they will fix it/pay for the repair even if it is no longer covered by the normal warranty for this known fault.
Not according to the email i had earlier from moog technical dept who say they will not cover the cost of my repair even if it is related??? The wording is not good and misleading so I'm discussing with moog at the moment with regard to having a further repair carried out as HHB (official moog repair UK) will not have known of the problem during the repair done in Dec and may not have replaced all the faulty components...not to mention the hassle of getting to London.

edit - looks like my repair was done on a component level, so hopefully all the TI chips will have been replaced. The moog tech is making an effort to check this with HHB so fair do's

BTByrd
Wiggling with The Experience Machine

Post by BTByrd » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:30 am

zedius wrote:Just want to chime in and say that this "outside of warranty" thing sounds unreasonable and indefensible.

Moog is basically saying that they sold you a bum product and they know it, and they're gonna need more dollars from you to bring your purchase up to standard Moog quality.
That's not at all what it means. It means that if your Voyager is no longer under warranty and is exhibiting issues that aren't related to the fault specified in the email, they will fix it but you'll have to pay. Which is exactly what you should expect to do.

thetwlo
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thetwlo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:47 am

BTByrd wrote: That's not at all what it means. It means that if your Voyager is no longer under warranty and is exhibiting issues that aren't related to the fault specified in the email, they will fix it but you'll have to pay. Which is exactly what you should expect to do.
yes, thank you! nuances..

woodbank
Common Wiggler

Post by woodbank » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:50 am

BTByrd wrote:
zedius wrote:Just want to chime in and say that this "outside of warranty" thing sounds unreasonable and indefensible.

Moog is basically saying that they sold you a bum product and they know it, and they're gonna need more dollars from you to bring your purchase up to standard Moog quality.
That's not at all what it means. It means that if your Voyager is no longer under warranty and is exhibiting issues that aren't related to the fault specified in the email, they will fix it but you'll have to pay. Which is exactly what you should expect to do.
With regard to covering cost my view is that the supplier of the faulty ICs (TI) should re-imburse for repairs carried out by an official moog repair shop that confirms the repair relates to the faulty chips. This is not a random bad luck fault as its been clearly identified as a significant flaw across a large range of the product. Do they not have insurance for this type of issue?

dougt
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dougt » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:10 pm

woodbank wrote: With regard to covering cost my view is that the supplier of the faulty ICs (TI) should re-imburse for repairs carried out by an official moog repair shop that confirms the repair relates to the faulty chips. This is not a random bad luck fault as its been clearly identified as a significant flaw across a large range of the product. Do they not have insurance for this type of issue?
Exactly. Similar to the Takata air bag recall in cars. The car manufacturer replaces the defective parts at no cost to the customer. Moog should too. Unlike DSI who makes you buy a replacement front panel to fix the defective encoders... :evil:

unwar
Common Wiggler

Post by unwar » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:50 pm

my voyager crapped out last year and as it was out of warranty I had to fork out for a new power supply and was advised at the time that the board could be faulty and best replaced at the cost of around 1300aust. done.
when I heard about the possible recall, prior to the official moog announcement, I contacted my retailer, audio chocolate, and they advised I contact moog directly. did.
after a little backwards and forwards they agreed I was eligible for financial compensation for the repairs.
now i'm just waiting to receive my store credit from moogs accounts dept.
so moog done did it...power to them.

JILT
Wiggling with Experience

Post by JILT » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:28 am

I'm gonna have to call them. My Voyager xl has been acting weird for a year now and is in the recall serial number. When I called them last summer they said the analog board was messed up and I need to send it in. I live in Seattle so sending a XL across the country and paying for fixing it would of been like $1500-2000? I am a second owner so I hope I can still get some service. I did send it to a local synth repair and he couldn't figure it out and he also put a ugly dent in the wood. Ugh. Not happy at all.
"Meet me at the lake where the sexy teenagers were killed 100 years ago tonight."

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:51 am

my SS is in the 700 serial batch and bought in 2009 but still suffered from the faulty chip issue. I also was not excited to ship it across the country. Instead I pulled the board out and shipped that. It was fairly easy to do except for two cables that were a bit difficult to dislodge. I highly recommend doing it that way if possible.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

thesnow
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by thesnow » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:12 am

disappointing to say the least for such fine instruments I guess mistakes happen even moog

syzygywell
aligned wiggler

Post by syzygywell » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:55 am

To be fair the problem is with Texas instruments. Moog have been tracking the failure of those chips for a while and at least finally came to conclusion they should cover the problem.
It's been a long time since someone wrote a really good book in jail.

https://www.instagram.com/instrumentsofflight/

Return to “General Gear”