MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

SoundPlex Synth demo: Serge DSG x3--It's Here!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author SoundPlex Synth demo: Serge DSG x3--It's Here!
vgermuse
Inspired by the recent Serge DSG thread. . .
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132548

I conceived and "designed" this Serge panel for my own delight and named it SoundPlex.

Originally my colleague, Eden Mononym and I explored building a single DIY panel that capitalizeD on Serge style SGs (Ken Stone kits). With 6 SGs at the heart of the system one could have 6 oscillators and, of course, any combination of all the amazing functions of the DSG: EGs, Pulsers, LFOs, Sub Harmoic Gens, Filters, etc.

But the actual project was taken up by Charles Seeholzer aka Drillionaire who parted it out, painstakingly matched and tested transitors for stable tracking of the SGs, built all the modules and came up with this beautiful and artistic faceplate! (see photo below).

In an effort to test the viability of our little vision I have mocked up some self-generating patches using my old Serge system. All snippets are live, no overdubbing, no editing. Occasionally, I sparingly use other modules (RM, SSG, Noise, VQFCF, VCA, DP and TKB) along with some knob twiddling and sometimes some Ableton fx.

Here, for your delectation, are the fruits of the last few days:
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/192818717" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/192876747" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

And here's the basic modules minus a noise source:

And here (as of March 2017) is Drillionaire's finished suitcase instrument!
Vsyevolod
Sounds very inspiring Todd. I'll have to plug in a few DSG's and DTG's to see what I come up with.

Was expecting to hear some subharmonic generation... But then the world of DSG is sooooo large that no single days work could even begin to capture it.

Stephen

phisynth
awesome examples, Todd... great tribute to a great module applause
weinglas
Very nice explorations we're not worthy
batchas
Sounds like you had great fun playing the Serge. Nice thumbs up
vgermuse
Thank much guys!! Yeah, this configuration is deep and way too much fun!
I can't stop hihi

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/192876747" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

enjoy! w00t

Here's the basic config minus a noise source:
Edenmononym
I can't wait to start the build!

I belive this custom panel will be great for a starter system. Definitely want to make unique paper-face art for these.

Cheers! w00t
Kernelkunt
That looks like an awesome and powerful panel. I actually considered commisioning a CGS build quite similar to this layout before I decided to go with an STS setup.
Soviet Space Child
These are amazing! You're making me GAS for more DUSG's! very frustrating
Peake
screaming goo yo
vgermuse
Thanks guys for this second round of nice comments. Thanks for listening!

So. . . Clearly I've been obsessing on the variety of sounds from just using Serge Slope Generators. Here are 4 SG's and 2 TG's providing pitch, pulse, lfo, and lots of different filtering. Here is this afternoon's exploration:

better audio here:
https://www.hightail.com/download/UlRSZFhtcWZsamNpR01UQw

Happy exploring!!
Edenmononym
Getting Excited Todd!!!!

SoundPlex PCBs are on the way This is fun!
Kernelkunt
Very cool stuff. I really enjoy watching/hearing your DUSG explorations.
weinglas
Great sounds and what a great idea for a panel applause
vgermuse
weinglas wrote:
Great sounds and what a great idea for a panel applause

Thanks Claus and everyone else! Yeah, I've been limiting myself to only DSGs in my patching exploration these past few weeks and have not been disappointed hihi CGS PCBs are on there way w00t
vgermuse
It's HERE! After two years this beauty is now a reality thanks to the time, talent, artistry and careful build by Charles Seeholzer aka Drillionaire! See the top of this thread for the history and concept.

rayce
Wow!

DUSG, SSG, and variable Q VCF are the modules that most define the Serge system in my eyes.

Incredible versatility, power and sound in a compact form factor.

Beautiful portable synth you've got there Todd, look forward to seeing you post some videos of it in action!
vgermuse
rayce wrote:
Wow!

DUSG, SSG, and variable Q VCF are the modules that most define the Serge system in my eyes.

Incredible versatility, power and sound in a compact form factor.

Beautiful portable synth you've got there Todd, look forward to seeing you post some videos of it in action!

hihi hihi w00t

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/314457796" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
rayce
Yep sounds like a Serge wink Love the organic electric quality to it.

Does the switch on the t of the electric music box text change the cv out scaling from 1.2 to 1.0 v/oct?
GrantB
awesome!
vgermuse
rayce wrote:
Yep sounds like a Serge wink Love the organic electric quality to it.

Does the switch on the t of the electric music box text change the cv out scaling from 1.2 to 1.0 v/oct?

It latches the arpeggiator. Used it in the last clip of the examples above.

And thanks Grant!
vgermuse
just added my Second Encounter with the Soundplex:

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/314605319" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

w00t
NiteEagle
Thanks, Todd. This has made me totally rethink how I am going to put together my hybrid Serge rack.
rayce
Very musical. Enjoying these demos.

Making me think about mounting a sergepanel in a Halliburton case now.

Seems like a great complement to an Easel.

Did you calibrate the DSG 1v/oct ins to 1.2v oct or are you using the voltage in on the DSG to scaling the 1.2 volts from the 218 down to 1v/oct?

Since its a custom build I'd assume they are scaled to 1.2v oct but then the graphics on the panel 1/v oct suggests otherwise?

Either way it sounds great and in tune wink
Drillionaire
The 218 is modified to output 1v/oct. There's actually a trimmer on the underside that you can adjust.

In my testing of the soundplex I noticed that you can get about 2-ish octaves of tracking for the DSGs, but in doing so you lose tracking at the other end of the frequency spectrum.
e.g., I was playing with a 6x sawtooth bass patch I made, and I had the main CV output of the 218 trimmed so they would all track between 50Hz - 200Hz without losing more than 10-20 cents, but when I tried jumping up a couple octaves, it was off by a semitone or more (can't remember if it was sharp or flat). I trimmed the 218 to track at these higher octaves, and in doing so, threw the tracking of lower frequencies out of whack. This indicates that there's some non-linearity to the 1v/oct input of the DSGs which might be able to be fixed with a trim/some circuit modifications, just as there's a high frequency non-linearity adjustment for the oscillators on the Easel. Without looking at the DSG schematic, it's hard to say how complex this modification would be, as the DSG is not designed with the sole purpose of being an oscillator.

Another thing to note is that the more CV inputs you connect the main 218 CV output to, the more load is placed on that voltage output, and the more the voltage will be attenuated, i.e., you'll be getting <1v/oct if you trimmed the output to track 1v/oct for a single DSG and then you use that CV to drive more than one DSG/anything else.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3