MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

BETA Buchla Firmware Utility 1.6.7
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author BETA Buchla Firmware Utility 1.6.7
darrenji
Attached is a zip of the new BFU app that allows changing the USB Firmware Card mode between USB MIDI and USB Firmware Update. I'm posting here as a quasi-public beta. I'm certain that it works on Mac OS 10.9 and 10.10, I don't know about earlier versions so please report back.

NOTE: You need to have a PresetManager (225e or 206e) in your system for this to work. If you don't have one, modules won't respond to internal I2C MIDI message.

Also, since the app is not currently distributed through the Apple app store, you'll mostly likely have to change the security preferences to allow unsigned apps to run. You may have already done this for earlier Buchla Firmware Utility app releases.

To change the mode of your USB Firmware Card:
1. make sure the card is unplugged from the 200e.
2. attach USB cable to the card and to your Mac (best to not use a hub)
3. launch the firmware utility
4. go to the "USB FW Card" menu and select FW Update or MIDI I/O mode.
5. You should see the following text for MIDI mode:

Attempting to program USB card for USB-MIDI I/O... please wait.
Erasing...
Changing card firmware for 200e USB-MIDI...
16252 bytes used (6.40%)
Validating...
512 bytes used (100.00%)
Restarting card with new firmware...

6. unplug the card from USB.
7. plug card into your 200e
8. power on the 200e.
9. plug the card via USB into your computer.

You should see the card appear on your computer as a MIDI device called "225m".

Remember that you MUST power on the 200e with the card inserted BEFORE you attach via USB to the computer.

Please report any issues in this thread.
djangosfire
applause Thank you for posting! Looking forward to experimenting with this new feature!

Cheer, - Adam
BHC303
Sticky thread hihi
Kent
BHC303 wrote:
Sticky thread

Wørd. thumbs up
Leoespejo
I guess this firmware can only transmit MIDI clock, isn't it ?

I have not tested it yet, but i'm supossing this just because i can't imagine how to route MIDI signals apart from clock without 225e.
darrenji
Leoespejo wrote:
I guess this firmware can only transmit MIDI clock, isn't it ?
I have not tested it yet, but i'm supossing this just because i can't imagine how to route MIDI signals apart from clock without 225e.

Nope it passes note on/off too. Just like the 225 does with serial MIDI, the card does with USB. And is bi-directional too, so if you have a 218 attached, it can send note events across the bus, through the card, and to a computer.
sascha.victoria
Excited to try this out!

I've always wondered about the USB port that is not installed on the 225e where the MIDI jacks are. Would it be possible to develop that for use?
BHC303
Love the app graphics, now I will always have a pic of Don in my doc lol

Leoespejo
Ok,

After a first test i can confirm the Firmware works on OS 10.7.5 and with Ableton Live 9.1.7 though i have some questions about this new MIDI function:

- First i guess, if there's a 225e in the system it should be disconnected from any MIDI device, to avoid conflicts. I'm saying this because in my first experiment i tried to sync 250e with MIDI clock, but it didn't respond i guess it was because 225e was connected to my Audio/MIDI interface and it was receiving a MIDI clock stopped.

- Is there any way to route the MIDI signal ?

- Is it possible to send more than one MIDI clip? i've tried sending two MIDI clips at the same time from Live but the system only showed up one, that was being received on 281e in bus A1, which was receiving MIDI note on messages, and 259e in bus A, which was receiving MIDI pitch, obviously all my 281e's where set up for receiving MIDI messages.

Thank you very much for this darrenji
dan_p
whoa there, wait a minute, I read this last and thought "wow, cool feature, shame I don't have a 225e but never mind". Am I right in interpreting peoples comments above that this will actually send to the Midi bus in the 200e over USB without a 225e?
If so that is the absolute dogs bollox, I always wanted to be able to do some midi stuff with the Buchla but never enough to justify a 225e, this is like totally rad and all the good things of everything in one place!! unless I read it wrong in which case the world stinks and a pox on all your houses.
Leoespejo
dan_p wrote:
whoa there, wait a minute, I read this last and thought "wow, cool feature, shame I don't have a 225e but never mind". Am I right in interpreting peoples comments above that this will actually send to the Midi bus in the 200e over USB without a 225e?

Yes Sir you are right !!! Guinness ftw!

anyway as you can see is in Beta state.
dan_p
w00t

OK, just tried this out (quickly as I should be working), only tried the clock as I have a patch set up I wanted to record but the clock worked well. Whole procedure was super easy too. Looking forward to giving it a better test.

Seriously great update to the system. I imagine there are a good few users like me that wanted to try some midi here and there but wouldn't of used it enough to grab a 225e, or maybe just wanted some sync where a 225e would be a whole panel for clock duty (unless you need the preset). Very impressed with this.
darrenji
Leoespejo wrote:
Ok,
After a first test i can confirm the Firmware works on OS 10.7.5 and with Ableton Live 9.1.7

good to know, thx.

Leoespejo wrote:
- First i guess, if there's a 225e in the system it should be disconnected from any MIDI device, to avoid conflicts. I'm saying this because in my first experiment i tried to sync 250e with MIDI clock, but it didn't respond i guess it was because 225e was connected to my Audio/MIDI interface and it was receiving a MIDI clock stopped.

I suppose it's safest to disconnect the 225e, but it's not necessary. Certainly you don't want to send clock on *both* USB MIDI to card, and serial MIDI to the 225e at the same time.

Leoespejo wrote:

- Is there any way to route the MIDI signal ?

MIDI channels 1/2/3/4 route to internal busses A/B/C/D, and vice versa.

Leoespejo wrote:

- Is it possible to send more than one MIDI clip? i've tried sending two MIDI clips at the same time from Live but the system only showed up one, that was being received on 281e in bus A1, which was receiving MIDI note on messages, and 259e in bus A, which was receiving MIDI pitch, obviously all my 281e's where set up for receiving MIDI messages.

I'm not very familiar with Live, but in principle there's no reason why you can't send multiple MIDI streams at the same time to the card. It should work fine.
Leoespejo
darrenji wrote:
I'm not very familiar with Live, but in principle there's no reason why you can't send multiple MIDI streams at the same time to the card. It should work fine.

The answer is yes darrenji, but you should send them in different MIDI channels. Your previous answer solve this question.

Thanks again. Guinness ftw!
SculptorOfSound
since I'm new to Buchla and haven't used the card (and don't have one), does this render the 225e as something that's not really needed (other than for the preset manager)? I literally just picked-up a 225e, so I'm a little concerned. Please advise the noob.
darrenji
SculptorOfSound wrote:
since I'm new to Buchla and haven't used the card (and don't have one), does this render the 225e as something that's not really needed (other than for the preset manager)? I literally just picked-up a 225e, so I'm a little concerned. Please advise the noob.

The USB card only passes note on/off and clock. The 225e is both a preset manager and full-featured MIDI to CV converter that can do a great many things that the USB card can't, not the least of which is supporting MIDI continuous controllers. So I would say no, the card is certainly not a replacement for the 225e, it's only a convenient utility for folks who don't have complex MIDI needs or only want to do clock sync... and/or for people with very small systems that want to use basic MIDI, but don't want to devote an entire panel space to it.
Kent
And let us not forget that the 225e is a super-awesome MIDI clock divider.
MechaSeb
Kent wrote:
And let us not forget that the 225e is a super-awesome MIDI clock divider.

+100 thumbs up
SculptorOfSound
Thanks everyone! Phew!

Yeah, I'm psyched about the clock divider feature for sure. Hoping to build some cool polyrhythmic stuff based around what my other gear in the studio is doing. obviously the clock as well and most definitely the preset manager. I've only had my rig for just shy of a week and it's always sad when I have to (though I guess I don't HAVE TO, but it seems like a waste of energy) flip the power off. Though it gives me good reason to just keep exploring and getting to know the beast that this thing is building up to be!
rayce
I played around with this today. Works great. I didn't notice any of the internal bus dropped note issues that sometimes crop up with the 225e.

Worked really nicely with a Linnstrument set for midi note per channel.

Bravo!
Oxix52
Wow! I just tried this with my 201e-24 that has a 218 mounted in it. The 218 arpeggiator syncs to midi clock now! However, for some reason, my 250e isn't syncing.

I don't have a 225e mounted in this cabinet, so it's great to at least have midi sync on the 218 arp like the easel. Now, if I can just figure out what the deal with the 250e is.....
Leoespejo
Oxix52 wrote:
The 218 arpeggiator syncs to midi clock now! However, for some reason, my 250e isn't syncing.

First think i'd ask is, is your 250e set to sync with midi clk ? if not set the MODE LED light at the right of the "eye thing" off for all of the steps and press play.

It works for me.
Oxix52
Leoespejo wrote:
Oxix52 wrote:
The 218 arpeggiator syncs to midi clock now! However, for some reason, my 250e isn't syncing.

First think i'd ask is, is your 250e set to sync with midi clk ? if not set the MODE LED light at the right of the "eye thing" off for all of the steps and press play.

It works for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. I may try moving the 250e to a different boat and see if that helps. I know it should work, I have used midi sync with a 225e installed before without problems.
youknowiloveyou
Oxix52 wrote:
Leoespejo wrote:
Oxix52 wrote:

It works for me.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. I may try moving the 250e to a different boat and see if that helps. I know it should work, I have used midi sync with a 225e installed before without problems.

What firmware does your 250e have? Mine wouldn't sync to MIDI when it had pre version 30 firmware.
Oxix52
youknowiloveyou wrote:
Oxix52 wrote:
Leoespejo wrote:
Oxix52 wrote:

It works for me.

What firmware does your 250e have? Mine wouldn't sync to MIDI when it had pre version 30 firmware.

It's the latest, v30.5. It worked fine when I had it along with all of my other 200e and a few clone modules in my 201e-24. I recently moved most of my 'e' modules in to a 201e-12 case with the 24 housing the clones and a few 'e' modules. The 225e is in the 12. I'm not too worried about the 250e not syncing to midi through the card. It would be nice, but I usually use pulses to sync it anyway. I'm just happy to be able to have the 218 arpeggiator clocked to something external.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Buchla, EMS & Serge Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2