MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

face plates for eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author face plates for eurorack
22tape
hey guys. i'm gonna be building a couple of my own modules and i'm wondering what i should use for a face plate. does anyone sell eurorack face plates (preferably different sizes) on their own?

what about the doepfer blanking plates? are those just metal sheets? would they suffice as mountable face plates?

thanks!
Cat-A-Tonic
There are lots of options, but it depends alot on how much you want to spend and what you want it to look like.
I personally don't want to cough up the cash for custom front panels unless there is some convenient group buy for them at a reasonable cost.
MOTM seems to have alot more DIY panels available than any of the other formats.
This even tempts me to get a rack of DIY MOTM, but I would much rather stick to small format and not have to get a ton of extra cables and adapters.
very frustrating decisions decisions
I am thinking along cheaper lines:
-build DIY in 19" U-racks
-cut panels myself from aluminum, plexiglass, or PCB material
(probably stick to Frac for DIY as 15v power tends to be more commonly DIY friendly than 12v Euro)
AND then for labeling either"
-raised letter oldschool Dymo style (would match my bare aluminum Digital Noise)
-Brother P-Touch or some other label making competitor (probably not)
-print out panel designs (probably from photoshop) and laminate them to the aluminum! (I really like this idea)
-hand paint everything (maybe fun to get artsy fartsy)
dbch
i've been having some success with a method from the EM forum. I print a reversed image of the panel graphics on a transparency and use spraymount to fix the transparency to the panel.
Cat-A-Tonic
Quote:
i've been having some success with a method from the EM forum. I print a reversed image of the panel graphics on a transparency and use spraymount to fix the transparency to the panel.

Now that is a pretty good idea.
Can you print the transparency in color?
I assume the print side goes up against the panel so that it won't scratch off.
Do you spray clearcoat on after its mounted?
wetterberg
Some good comments in here.
Quote:
probably stick to Frac for DIY as 15v power tends to be more commonly DIY friendly than 12v Euro
Remember that a lot (most?) of the 15v schematics will work on 12v too.

Quote:
Can you print the transparency in color?
I assume the print side goes up against the panel so that it won't scratch off.
Do you spray clearcoat on after its mounted?
yes yes and yes.

Now, re:
Quote:
what about the doepfer blanking plates? are those just metal sheets? would they suffice as mountable face plates?

Those *ARE* face plates, just without the drilling. But DON'T buy them from Doepfer, get them from your electronics guy while getting the rest of your bits, it'll be cheaper.
22tape
fantastic. thanks for the help!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1