MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Frac Items...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New Frac Items...
J3RK
Isaiah wrote:
Looking forward to hearing the electric piano-like pinging!
That description seems quite different from the examples I've heard of the Serge VCFQ being pinged.

I'm curious about the NWADSR. Looks like it can cycle.
Could you shed some light on functionality please?

This might be slightly off topic:
Have these PCBs become your priority over 4U, or are they being developed in parallel?

It is a bit different than the Serge, and also a bit different than say running a slow sawtooth or pulse into the audio input also. One could do the same thing with a decent gate to trigger converter, but it's handy to just have an input for it, and the values I settled on for it, seem to complement the filter well.

The NWADSR (Nicholas Woolaston ADSR for those familiar with his work) is a simple, looping ADSR. I've tweaked a few things on it, added a conditioned end of envelope pulse, etc. etc. Other than looping and EoE Pulse it's your typical non-VC ADSR. I just felt I needed one, so I whipped it up after talking to Nicholas a bit. I'll be making the board layout, updated schematic, etc. available here and on EM as a condition of its use. I have a few small bugs to work out of it before I'm completely happy though. It has a touch of "surprise behavior" at certain settings, and I think I've found a way to solve it. So nothing completely ground-breaking, but it's a solid ADSR, and I've found that I've been missing these recently.

I'm also working on a fancier version of my cycling AD envelope that will have response/curve adjustments, among some other items. No idea when I'll be done with it though. The current version works great though, so I'm not in a huge hurry on this.

Also, Blacet has very nice envelopes available too, so there are plenty of options.

On the 4U side, all of the PCBs are complete. I've tested all of them, and they're just sitting there. I'm not great with doing private runs. I've got too much going on to get everything out in as timely a manner as people like, and I've also been a little frustrated on the performance (or lack thereof) on USPS' behalf lately. That basically means that I'm making all of them available via distributors. I just wait until they're ready, or enough people ask for something, and then organize a run for the shops. I can put the boards out as quickly as there is demand for them.

So, in short, yes, the Frac project is my main focus now, because there's actually some work to be done with it for me. Boards to lay out, a fun little system to build, etc. It also translates easily to Euro projects too for those that are so inclined. Also, in the case of the BitBucket that uses a fairly large board plus a supplemental board, it's laid out to work in 3U (horizontally) or 4U (vertically). Also, since all of the 3U boards are X"x3" they can be used in 4U anyway with two stacked length-wise. So various combinations of the 3U boards could go behind a 4U panel, and still match up with 4U mounting.
J3RK
BananaPlug wrote:
J3RK wrote:
I got the Multi-State built last night. The pinging worked better than I expected. In fact, if I trim the resonance to just below full oscillation (which actually makes it sound better anyway,) it's a ton of fun.

Great. I agree about the trimming - go for that edge. Looking forward to hearing it and seeing how the BitBucket goes.

With the filter very near resonance, try feeding in low audio rate square around 200 Hz, tuning the filter a few octaves higher and varying the duty cycle. With certain filters it works great.

Was actually doing something similar last night. Now I just need to build up another VCO so I don't have to manually adjust duty-cycle. hihi
J3RK
Dead Banana waah hihi

So...

Fought with my interface for 3 hours tonight, upgrade OS, drivers, tweaked latencies until the proverbial cows came home, got bored, and left again. I was able to get one good clip with no pops and clicks. I got three more with minimal glitches, but still a few.

At this point, I think I'm done with the interface. I really liked it before, but... angry very frustrating

Anyway, the first two are the same. One with FX and one without. It's the MultiState Filter being pinged and CVed. (with FM in the FM(y) parts provided by the SPVCO) I wasn't able to get the Rhodes(y) sound that I got last night, but will attempt another recording later.

Anyway, this is just the MultiState. I'm running the gate output of my Akai controller into the Ping input, and the CV out of the controller into the V/Oct input. Then out to the... ...stupid... AudioFire...

With FX because I liked the sound...
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/MultiStatePinged-FX.mp3

Without FX for demo purposes...
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/MultiStatePinged.mp3

Edit: I've removed the ones with the recording glitches. I've got a work-around, and will re-record sometime this weekend. I've also built up most of the rest of the test rack, so only the BitBucket remains. (need to order a couple of parts for it though.) So there will be more and better demos shortly.

w00t
synthcube
Quick update- panels and PCbs on order for the first four Stroh Modular Frac modules-- Res Optogate, Stereo Out, Stereo Pulse VCO and Fadex.... more news as items start to show up.
Isaiah
J3RK
Sorry, I forgot to reply!
The filter sounds great, thanks for posting some recordings.

Just wanted to share this link:
http://cgs.synth.net/modules/cgs120_rail.html
Should be useful for mounting your Frac PCBs behind a 4U panel.
I know the mounting holes allow the builder to do that anyway, but this affords a little extra support between the mounting rails.

Are you still working on a VC-Delay?
I was thinking recently how great that would be.
Two (or more!) MN3XXX (MN3009 for a short delay?) in series with an output tapped from each BBD.
1V/Oct VCO driving the BBDs. 1V/Oct 4-Pole VCF for, well, filtering
VCA for VC-feedback.
Karplus-Strong! Rockin' Banana!
J3RK
The fully VC PT delay is ready to get prototypes made, but I haven't started on the BBD. I've got a friend who's familiar with them (BBDs) more-so than myself, so I'm holding off until he has time to help with the project. I do plan to revisit the 4-pole filter sometime in the near future. I wasn't very happy with the last iteration. It sounded good within a certain range of settings, but I'd like it to sound good at all settings. I may go the SSM2164 route this time. This will eventually happen though. I'd actually like to come up with a switched cap filter too, but that's also a way out.
monstrinho
[quote=" I'd actually like to come up with a switched cap filter too, but that's also a way out.[/quote]

Just before I opened your post, I was reading this article. Synchronicity is weird sometimes! Anyway, it looks like there's probably a lot of overlap between the logic circuits you've already done and what you would need for a SCF (or the clocking section of a BBD for that matter), so you may be a lot closer to finishing it than you imagine. nanners
J3RK
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
J3RK
The first prototype for the BitBucket is almost complete. Just have a bunch of wiring to do. Dead Banana I'll report back after I get it wired and hooked up. w00t
Moog$FooL$
groovy Mr J3RK....... glad u r doing this. thumbs up
BananaPlug
J3RK wrote:
The first prototype for the BitBucket is almost complete... w00t
applause
J3RK
The BitBucket is working about maybe 70%. There are a few very minor circuit tweaks that need to happen, and the zener-diode based white noise source doesn't seem to want to work. So I'll play with it a bit more, and then do a redesign for a more standard open-collector transistor type if needed. The main board, VCA, and VCO core are all working great otherwise.

The build takes a long time, and there is a lot of wiring (and inter-board wiring even.)

I'm starting to think it might be better if I just did a single board with all of the logic, comparators, shift register, LED controllers, etc. and left the clocking to an external VCO. I think I could get the rest onto a single PCB, which would not only reduce the PCB space and wiring, but also the depth of the module.

I'm going to play with the overall design a bit, and see what makes the most sense.

I'll post a bit more about this as I work with it.

w00t
rezzn8r
Great news. Thanks for the update. Really exited that you are making this happen
applause
thresholdpeople
I'm planning on putting in an order for some vactrols for another project, but I'd like to grab a few VTL5C1s while I'm at it. How many does each OptoGate require?
J3RK
thresholdpeople wrote:
I'm planning on putting in an order for some vactrols for another project, but I'd like to grab a few VTL5C1s while I'm at it. How many does each OptoGate require?

Each one requires 2 vactrols. w00t
thresholdpeople
Ah awesome thanks!

Are there other component changes that need to happen by swapping VTL5C3s? I'd be curious to play around with response times, and maybe have headers on the pcbs to be able to swap vactrols til I decide on one.
J3RK
You could swap in 5C3s. You may need to tweak the input resistors in the CV circuit a bit, and the pot ranges might shift slightly.

The cool thing about the 5C1s is that with the extra dynamic range, you can actually open them up a bit (allowing for longer trailing decay) without audio just pouring through. So as you turn the offset knob, the trail will get longer and longer (when it's struck/plucked/whatever...) until it gets high enough for audio to continuously pass. So it's kind of adjustable in that way. Plus they respond a lot faster to modulation, so you can get up into audio ranges with them. One last thing is that I've found the 5C1s to be the most consistent couplers that I've worked with as far as response. I occasionally see one that's a little different, but they've been pretty uniform overall.

5C3s would be next choice, will respond a little slower, and not quite have the same dynamic range. They will still work as expected, maybe with a few small tweaks as I mentioned above.

Any other models, and things will start getting a squishy, and have less control. I tried some 5C9s, and wasn't too happy with them. The decay was super long (to the point of taking forever to close off) and not very useful. No reason not to experiment if you have alternatives on hand though. w00t
J3RK
Quick update on the first four modules.

I just received the PCBs, and will be sending them along to Synthcube shortly. I'm building up a few, and taking some pictures, notes, etc. to include in the build docs. These will be done hopefully over this next week. So they should be ready pretty soon.
thresholdpeople
J3RK wrote:

The cool thing about the 5C1s is that with the extra dynamic range, you can actually open them up a bit (allowing for longer trailing decay) without audio just pouring through. So as you turn the offset knob, the trail will get longer and longer (when it's struck/plucked/whatever...) until it gets high enough for audio to continuously pass. So it's kind of adjustable in that way.

Oh! That sounds really awesome.
ginorobair
Looking forward to seeing shots of them.

J3RK wrote:
Quick update on the first four modules.

I just received the PCBs, and will be sending them along to Synthcube shortly. I'm building up a few, and taking some pictures, notes, etc. to include in the build docs. These will be done hopefully over this next week. So they should be ready pretty soon.
cupwise
think i'll be interested in the stereo out (i have TWO 'stereo out' modules already, the one in the paia 9700, and the blue lantern stereoscopic vca in euro, and neither of them allow you to actually pan each input separately!) and the opto gate!
BananaPlug
Could you say a bit more about your experiences with that Bit Bucket prototype?
J3RK
BananaPlug wrote:
Could you say a bit more about your experiences with that Bit Bucket prototype?

I'm in a bit of a loop right now with it actually. On one had, I like the BIG approach, which kind of has a 266 thing going for it. IO for EVERYTHING, so each component part can be used individually (like the VC Slew instead of just a slew knob for internal use, or separate noise outputs, etc.)

Then I start thinking that maybe just a good core module for the digital functions and a companion module. But then I start thinking, well then you've basically got a Turing Machine and its expanders, or a NoiseRing, and then it may as well just be a NoiseRing expander again.

Then I start thinking more micro-scale, (just providing a set of smaller modules that can basically turn into all of this in a more customizable fashion.)

I've been around this loop a few times already.

The functionality is pretty much there minus a few adjustments, circuit tweaks, replacements (of things like the noise source, scaling VCA for the CV output, etc.)

It takes a clock in, it shifts bits, those bits can be routed, recycled, provided by external sources, turned into CVs, with those CVs being scaled by voltage, etc. However, it's a bit rough around the edges right now, and the build (with separate PCBs for a few items) is a total pain to build. This is something that having a few separate modules would alleviate heavily. But that approach doesn't leave quite the impression that a big, wide, lit up, cycling monster has. seriously, i just don't get it

I've even had thoughts of making it bigger woah and including more logic and control. The thought of assembling something like this though isn't very appealing. Dead Banana

Anyway, I think I just need to work on refining, maybe do a bit of condensing to get it all on one PCB, think about whether some features are really that important, etc. For example, an onboard scaling VCA for the CVs isn't entirely necessary. Any decent DC coupled linear VCA would provide the same functionality, and reduce the complexity of this module. Another example would be should I really include the full V/Oct VCO as the clock source. On one hand, it gives people an extra VCO in one's system, provides an excellent internal source, alleviates the use of system VCOs, and doesn't kind of lock one into a mindset of only using this as a logic and random voltage source, but use it as an audio source too.

There is a ton of tradeoff involved with this particular module, and it all came about from thinking about a NoiseRing expander. lol My projects don't usually start this way. Usually, it just hits me, I know what I want to do, and then I do it. I don't usually make tradeoffs, involve myself in debates with myself nuts go through a building up and paring down process, etc.

A bit more thought is definitely in order. I don't want to recreate things that exist exactly, but then some of those things (like the 1200 series NR aren't available anymore either.) I also don't really want to just add on to something that isn't available anymore either. That kind of where the "go big" thoughts came from. Anyway... hihi
rezzn8r
I already have a Noise Ring, and love it, so the idea of a straight up expander module appeals to me, but when you started to describe the Bit Bucket I started to get really excited. I love the idea of a mutant 266ish module available in Frac.
I don't mind too much, if it doesn't have onboard scaling of CV, or a full-featured VCO to act as a clock, as I have that functionality covered, but I do start to shy away when you start to speak of the micro-scale approach with a set of simpler modules.
More onboard logic would be cool, but if it gets too big you run the risk loosing buyers due to available rack space.
Good luck! I really hope this project comes to fruition.
SlayerBadger!
J3RK
rezzn8r wrote:
I already have a Noise Ring, and love it, so the idea of a straight up expander module appeals to me, but when you started to describe the Bit Bucket I started to get really excited. I love the idea of a mutant 266ish module available in Frac.
I don't mind too much, if it doesn't have onboard scaling of CV, or a full-featured VCO to act as a clock, as I have that functionality covered, but I do start to shy away when you start to speak of the micro-scale approach with a set of simpler modules.
More onboard logic would be cool, but if it gets too big you run the risk loosing buyers due to available rack space.
Good luck! I really hope this project comes to fruition.
SlayerBadger!

Well, it definitely will, as it's something that I want as well hihi It's just a question of revision, and how long it will take. I do have several ideas for making the PCB a bit more efficient, possibly even to the point of getting all current features onto one board. Just need some "Spare Time TM" to work on it some more. I'm about to wrap up the project that needs to be finished before moving back this sort of thing, so I should have more updates soon.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 5 of 7