MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Frac Items...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New Frac Items...
J3RK
solitaryzen wrote:
Interesting stuff. Will quarter inch outputs be provided on the stereo output module?

Yes, the Left, Right, and Phones outs are 1/4". That's not fully reflected in the image above. (actually I just forgot to make the L/R ones the right size... d'oh! hihi ) It's fixed now in the actual panel file.
J3RK
Isaiah wrote:
J3RK
This is the first time I've been attracted to Frac.
I really don't want to build or buy Eurorack, but I like the potential for shallow cases.
These could form the basis of a very gig-friendly banana system to complement my planned 4U CGS/Serge stuff.

Do the PCBs (with the exception of the Dual VCO and Ultraflop) have standardised dimensions and mounting hole placements?
Could I, for example, mount two Opto Gates behind a 2U panel?
What about stacking a FadeX and an Opto Gate?
Thanks in advance!

Yes, the PCBs are all X" x 3". (1x3, 2x3, 3x3) The mounting holes are the same scheme as my 4U boards, and CGS. For a 3" board, they are 2.7" center to center. (M3 sized pad/hole)

Most of the boards are designed to stack in some way. For example the Stereo Pulse VCO has the "VCO Core" PCB stacked with a "Wave Shapers and Comparators" board. The same "VCO Core" board is stacked with the FadeX board for the "FadeX Plus" module.

There will be VCA boards, and other function block boards that can be mixed and matched to build other things behind the panels.

The main exception is the UltraFlop. I'm using the 4U board for that turned sideways. It will just fit.
Isaiah
J3RK
That is an excellent approach!

I know most of these circuits will be available in 4U anyway, but keeping the CGS standard for mounting holes will be really helpful if a builder wants to stack one of your 4U PCBs with one of your Frac PCBs in either format.
A truly modular modular. Kudos! thumbs up

I remember you discussing a few VCFs you had been working in the 4U threads.
Which one is the Multi-State? Is the signal path DC?
tron23
Extra fine additions, need to sort my racks! w00t
J3RK
Isaiah wrote:
J3RK
That is an excellent approach!

I know most of these circuits will be available in 4U anyway, but keeping the CGS standard for mounting holes will be really helpful if a builder wants to stack one of your 4U PCBs with one of your Frac PCBs in either format.
A truly modular modular. Kudos! thumbs up

I remember you discussing a few VCFs you had been working in the 4U threads.
Which one is the Multi-State? Is the signal path DC?

The Multi-State is a pretty standard state variable filter. It's the first one that I've put together that I liked the sound of. I had a couple of others going, one with discrete OTAs, and then a 4 Pole low pass. I didn't really like either of these other ones, and will eventually revisit them later.

The Multi-State doesn't have any AC coupling caps in the signal path. I also came up with a simple "ping" circuit for it. It's a different method from the Serge VCFQ (as I didn't want to copy anything from that circuit.) Seems to work pretty well though.

Basically, it doesn't have any revolutionary features, but it works very well, and I needed a good filter in the lineup. I'll be adding an SSM(ish) 4 Pole eventually too, but that one's going to be completely redesigned.
Isaiah
Thanks for the information.
J3RK
Here is the first test module. Just need to order the actual PCBs now. The actual panels will be black.

w00t

dJ dAb
Looking good!
thresholdpeople
Lovely.

How deep is it with the bananas there?
dogoftears
wow, looks wonderful!
i will surely grab some of these when they are available.
BananaPlug
Nice! That top-center jack position is the one closest to knobs so it would be better to not put V/Oct there since V/Oct is likely to have a patch cord in it most of the time. Maybe swap V/Oct and Sync. Just being picky. Not a big deal.
tron23
dogoftears wrote:
wow, looks wonderful!
i will surely grab some of these when they are available.

+1 cannot have enough VCO's and this one is so damn fine!
steffensen
J3RK
That really looks amazing man! You have me totally psyched to get started with my Frac now. smile
chris_g
Wow that is gorgeous. Banana frac is such a great looking format It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!
DGTom
nanners

opto gate is just what I need to finally fill the last hole in my "non-Blacet" case!!

applause
J3RK
Wow, thanks for all of the comments! w00t This is fun!

I'm just about finished with the last PCB layout for these first modules. Just checking them over more or less at this point.

@BananaPlug - Not a bad idea, and I don't mind swapping those two at all on the panel layout. I'll update it, and get it over to Synthcube.
numan7
really awesome work, J3RK !!

cheers
Isaiah
J3RK
The blue panels look beautiful!

Would it be possible to get a list of the PCBs and which circuits are on each please?
Also, what are the voltage ranges of your circuits in terms on input and outputs?

Trying to weigh up whether I'd like to build some Stroh Modular stuff in 4U or Frac.
It won't be for a while yet though...
Isaiah
Also, I'm really keen to hear some examples of stereo PWM, please! hyper
J3RK
The voltage ranges are +/-5V and 0-10V. So pretty much the same as Blacet. Gates/Triggers are 10(ish) volt pulses. Envelopes are 0-10V, all bipolar waveforms and CVs are -5 to +5.

The functions of these modules are very similar to the functions in the 4U set, but are not 1:1. Some of the PCBs in the 4U versions have more features, and some of them have more in these 3U versions.

Also, how some of the functions are achieved is a bit different from one to the other. The basic underlying blocks will be very similar though.

For example, the FadeX Plus can be used as a VC Waveform VCO. This is because it contains both the FadeX circuit and the VCO Core circuit. It tracks V/Oct the same as any of the other VCOs. Patching the triangle and square waves back into the fader inputs, results in a very Buchla 258(like) sound and function. On the other hand, the VCO can be used as a CV source for auto fading and panning.

None of the actual 4U PCBs are used in this 3U set. (with the exception of the UltraFlop4U sequencer PCB) The rest have all been redesigned for this modular/stacking approach. In the process I've both added and removed features based on the overall module set to make sure there are complementary functions between all the modules. (still putting a bit of fine tuning into this as well)

As far as SPVCO demos, I have a few online. They're pretty quick and rough and have a few pops and a bit of noise in them due to the 1394 chipset on the Mac Mini on my bench not liking my Echo interface much. very frustrating However, you can get the general idea. The sounds are coming straight out of the SPVCO, and going into the Stereo Output module. (via its onboard VCAs) I'll have these posted here in just a minute.

Edit:

A couple of clips using the two PWM outs in stereo:

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/UPO-StereoChipTune.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/UPO-StereoPWM.mp3

These aren't doing the stereo thing, but give an idea of some of the other items.

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/UPO-Sync.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/UPO-LinFM.mp3

These last ones require a wave splicer or possibly crossfader to do. They take both of the PWM outputs, and splice them. One rectified above 0V and one rectified below 0V. (the Splicer is already available from Synthcube) The result is a single waveform with independent control of the pulsewidth above 0 and below 0. (making a stepped wave)

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/UPO-RawMultiPWM.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/UPO-Arp.mp3
ginorobair
Really enjoyed hearing those demos. Thanks!
J3RK
Thanks!

I'll try to work the bugs out of my recording setup, and get some better ones posted in the near future. w00t
plord
Ultra Flop next please? That's my must-have from this set of suggestions.
J3RK
plord wrote:
Ultra Flop next please? That's my must-have from this set of suggestions.

The board is already tested for this one, so it'll be a fairly simple matter once these first four are ready. w00t
J3RK
Getting ready to order the PCBs now, and the final versions of the panels are ready to get made. The various forms these will take (kits, PCBs, modules, etc.) should start becoming available in a couple of weeks. (probably longer for modules and full kits though) As soon as I get the PCBs back, I will build up a final version of each, and post some demos here.

It's peanut butter jelly time!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 2 of 7