MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

New Frac Items...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Author New Frac Items...
J3RK
These are fairly similar to the ones above, and are from the 4U/5U version of the PCB. Exactly the same functionality minus the onboard wave splicer. (which wasn't used in these demos anyway) Also, I will make the Splicer module available in one Frac unit at some point anyway. Figured I'd post them though since the 3U version will be able to do the same things. It's really just two demos. One version with FX, one just raw output from the modules. (Stereo Pulse VCO straight into the Stereo Output Module)

http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/Black5U-002-FX.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/Black5U-003-FX.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/Black5U-002-RAW.mp3
http://home.comcast.net/~r3cogniz3r/Black5U-003-RAW.mp3

More soon!
synthcube
J3RK wrote:
Well, this is moving faster than I thought. We've decided on the first four modules/PCB batches/panels. I've ordered a test panel, and so these will be available sometime in the next few weeks.

2U - Stereo Pulse VCO
Triangle Core VCO that tracks around 8 octaves well. It has linear FM input, reset sync, VCO/LFO modes, and bipolar LED for rate and phase indication.
It has Triangle, Sawtooth, and two PWM outputs. The reason for two is that they have independent pulse-width controls (CV and manual each). When combined with a crossfader or splicer this can make a stepped pulse. When the two pulse waves are sent to the stereo output mixer, it create a very spacious stereo effect. It can also make some interesting offset clocks when in LFO mode.

2U - FadeX Plus
This is a voltage controlled linear crossfader/panner/VCA. It also has a built in V/Oct VCO (the same core as the SPVCO above. This VCO can be used to control the fading/panning, used as a stand-alone VCO, etc. If the triangle and square are routed to the fader inputs, this becomes a voltage controlled waveform VCO much like the Buchla 258.

2U - Stereo Output
This is a Stereo Output Mixer. It has level controls and panning controls for each channel, and can be used as a little submixer, output stage, etc. It's designed to use the OPA2604 op amp, and set up to drive low or high impedance loads. This will easily drive headphones, and includes a jack for this. There are two AC coupled VCAs that can be used individually, or as voltage control for the inputs of the mixer. When used with the FadeX, and/or SPVCO, a lot of stereo effect, auto-panning, etc. are possible.

1U - Opto-Gate
This is my take on the standard resonant low pass gate. The topology is similar, but not quite the same as the Buchla. I typically use VTL5C1 vactrols which are faster, and have a wider dynamic range than the more common 5C3. This allows for audio rate modulation. Then, in order to get more of a ring/trail one can simply turn up the offset very slightly. The extra dynamic range of the 5C1 will allow this without leaking much if any signal. There are two CV inputs, one with attenuator for doing FM, since these will respond well to it. Otherwise, pretty much what you'd expect.

I'll post more details as they become available.

To weigh in here---
- PCB will be ordered this week
- Frac panels have been submitted for artwork review and production

Depending on timing, the panels, pcbs, bundles and kits should be available around mid-late April. We will get these loaded on the webstore so you can sign up for automatic notifications when they are stocked. We are working with Dustin on BOMs, documentation etc.

Very excited to see these new offerings in the format!!
monstrinho
Amazing stuff! This is really the first major news in frac outside of Blacet and Paia since the Wiard 1200 series.* Looking forward to these!!

*With all respect to Bugbrand, I really consider the Bug system to be a separate thing. The fact that it's in frac format is not really relevant since the modules were never available for the general public to buy.
J3RK
While researching possibilities to do a third party NoiseRing Expander, I got a bit carried away, and came up with my own take on the whole thing. It's still possible to do an expander at some point, but since I have a finished circuit for this now, I thought I might as well make a panel for it too.

BananaPlug
Woah, huge. Is there an advantage to having this particular VCO built in instead of just using any decent VCO to drive a standalone shift register module? The 6" all-in-one might be too much for people with portable systems.
I should wait for a block diagram but meanwhile I'm wondering what "SRA" and the three *D0 /*D1 switches are. Hoping the Bit1-Bit8 outputs are wire-or capable. Nice having all the bits!

Nice to see this moving along!
J3RK
Actually, the VCO is the same VCO Core PCB used in the other VCOs. So, this could easily be done without it in a small-model option. I have no problem whipping up an externally clocked version. It could use smaller LEDs too, to get them all in.

As far as those data switches, all clock and data sources pass through a multi-input OR gate. The switches just allow you to enable/disable them. So ED (External Data) RD (Recycle Data) ND (Noise+Comparator Data).

SRA and XORA just decides whether the shift register output or the XOR output gets sent to the differential amplifier to shift the signal to bipolar audio (+/-5V) output. The Shift Register will give you pitched digital noise, while the XOR will give you ring modulation. (it's a Schottky ring circuit)

As far as the bits go, those are actually large LEDs that display the state of the full register. (not jacks) I could actually make an expander to make those all available. It would require a lot of buffers, so it wouldn't fit on the current PCB. I could add a little header for that though. I could do a little 1U module that had 8 jacks, and a small PCB with all of the buffers on it.
J3RK
Also, the reason for me sticking VCOs everywhere, is that the core is a common PCB between all of them. It can be reused, and allow for plenty of modulation in a small setup. (as they can all be switched to LFO speeds) So a small two standard frack rack system like the following would have 3 VCOs without really taking a ton of room. Not that everyone will want to build exactly this, but it's the overall concept I had in mind. Something like this would be very small and very shallow. (building one for myself actually)

Edit: Oops, there shouldn't be two MixORs in there. d'oh! The last one should be the clock divider. Also the modules would be in a different order ideally.

BananaPlug
LEDs of course d'oh!
If you can get them to a header the rest could be left to DIY. Could be handy as random triggers and summing a few for additional CV outs might be nice but this is all icing on the cake.

Quote:
Also, the reason for me sticking VCOs everywhere, is that the core is a common PCB between all of them. It can be reused, and allow for plenty of modulation in a small setup.

Neat. Will stare at that for a while.
J3RK
That would be no problem at all to add them to a header. I've got a little fine tuning to do on the design anyway, so I'll add that in. I'll also come up with an externally clocked version. The same PCB can be used between the two. All of the inputs (even the internal ones that go between the two PCBs) are buffered so there really won't need to be any changes to the PCB.
thresholdpeople
I like having it all in one.

Will it be possible to use the Comparator independently of the main functions of the modules as well? Data in, Comp CV and Comp out, right?

Is it possible to switch the position of the FM/Comp CV/Scale/Weight jacks and the switches - keeping all the jacks toward the bottom and all hands on controls at the top?

Are all the panel controls wired to MTA headers or will some be PCB mounted?
J3RK
thresholdpeople wrote:
I like having it all in one.

Will it be possible to use the Comparator independently of the main functions of the modules as well? Data in, Comp CV and Comp out, right?

Is it possible to switch the position of the FM/Comp CV/Scale/Weight jacks and the switches - keeping all the jacks toward the bottom and all hands on controls at the top?

Are all the panel controls wired to MTA headers or will some be PCB mounted?

Data in goes through a transistor comparator straight to the OR gate before the shift register. However, I do have a pad for the comparator input. I would just need to change it to allow for an SPDT switch to swap between external and the white noise source. Just need to find a spot for a jack and a switch. I thought about that a while back, and forgot to add it in.

All jacks are currently on the bottom. Only knobs, switches, and LEDs are on the top.

I just noticed that I should move all of the data select switches to one side, and the rest on the other.

w00t
thresholdpeople
Ahh those are pots, of course. d'oh!

This is all looking really great. Can't wait to start building these. Thanks J3RK!
J3RK
I just ordered test panels for this, and a couple of other items, and should have prototype PCBs for the BitBucket shortly as well. (next weekish)

I also just bought my first Frac rails since 2004! w00t It's peanut butter jelly time!
ginorobair
Keeping eyes peeled for these developments. . .

J3RK wrote:
I just ordered test panels for this, and a couple of other items, and should have prototype PCBs for the BitBucket shortly as well. (next weekish)

I also just bought my first Frac rails since 2004! w00t It's peanut butter jelly time!
J3RK
I accidentally put a white banana for the CV out on the envelope, but... hihi (will have to fix it when I get a minute) Anyway, these are the test panels, and so far things are working pretty well. I need to adjust one jack placement, and these will be ready to go. This week has been nuts, with lots of training at work, so I'll post more details soon.

w00t

tIB
Lovely to see more frac on the horizon, especially since it's bananas!
a100user
Exciting
BananaPlug
Quote:
The wave-shapers for sine, saw, dual PWM comparators, etc. are on a second board.
Will the Dual VCO (page 1) be the only one with Sine and will it be coming along soon after this first set?
J3RK
Actually, there is a sine shaper on the PCB. hihi The only reason I didn't expose it, is that it's a little tight. I went ahead and added it though now. I think it will be ok based on what I've got on the test panels. w00t
J3RK
Finished the PCB layout for the VCF last night, and am about 75% done with the BitBucket layout. w00t
BananaPlug
Looking forward to the next round of prototypes. applause
Entrainer
This is a welcome development...

It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!
indexofmetals
banana frac is always welcome! I've mainly got Bugbrand with some spicings of Metalbox and JHaible but have room for a bit more.
ginorobair
indexofmetals wrote:
banana frac is always welcome! I've mainly got Bugbrand with some spicings of Metalbox and JHaible but have room for a bit more.

I second that motion. Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
BananaPlug
Some Serge and Modcan here but banana frac is the most versatile. Kudos to BugBrand for planting bananas in the fertile fields of frac. There's lots of DIY and convertible minijack frac and in a pinch euro modules can be brought into play even though voltage and fit are a bit off.
nannersbananafied euro delays
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Fractional Rack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next [all]
Page 3 of 7