MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Voltage Follower vs. two stage unity gain amp.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Voltage Follower vs. two stage unity gain amp.
meridic
I continually see people throwing on the added complexity of the cascaded inverting unity gain opamps on output circuits when it seems to me the simple voltage follower circuit would be more then adequate. Am I missing something?

The only thing I can come up with is that any noise or crosstalk picked up by the cable is fed back to the inverting input causing error, but if the cable is picking up signals from other modules error is already presant. Not to mention most modulars seem to have abit of cross talk between modules anyways.

I can see the use of the cascaded amp in some areas such as a quantized output where error becomes detuning, but that is about it.

Edit: Image added, and title fixed
Kent
Maybe I'm missing something here; quite likely actually, but is this in reference to an opamp that is flipping the polarity so that a circuit is not flipping polarity from input to output?
meridic
non inverting output stages.

Two cascaded inverting unity gain amps vs single opamp voltage follower with the inverting input just tied to the output.
frijitz
Often because you are adding more than one signal and it is convenient to use the virtual ground summing node. Sometimes because you also want the inverted signal or to use the inverted input to stage 2. Sometimes just laziness or ignorance.

You can always use a single stage differential summer if the source impedances are fixed. There are a number of examples of how to do this in my wind controller schematics:
http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/sos_circ.htm

grin

Ian
meridic
Yeah, I was refering to times where an inverted output is not used nor is it summing, as shown in my diagram. I have seen this done by people who I thought should know better and it made me wonder if I was missing something.

thanks
fonik
another idea was to have an additional inverted output (as seen on andrew's 4stage seq schematic)
meridic
This is strictly referring to the end result of a single output with the same phase relationship as the input. Oddly enough though andrews circuit is what pushed me over the edge to find this out once and for all. At first I did not notice the inverted output and seeing all those opamps just irked me just right, I calmed down once I saw the inverted outputs though.

I spent a good amount of time researching this earlier today, there is a good amount of mis-information and half truths out there on the subject. Mostly, alot of correct information out of context.
frijitz
meridic wrote:
I have seen this done by people who I thought should know better ...

Yeah, me too. meh

Another general reason might be to leave the possibility of adding in other signals in further development of the circuit, or a place for users to hack into.

grin

Ian
meridic
it kind of sound like you are trying to make excuses for them.

I went through that too, but no more, I am done being a crutch for ignorance.
Sound
PCB layout considerations: Short PCB traces are advised in inputs. So the resistor IN assures short trace if the source is far in the pcb.

Also maybe an unused opamp section, and as said add the possibility of changes in a future, like amplify or attenuate the signal or inverted signal available.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1