MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Maths as a VCO
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Author Maths as a VCO
jonkull
Someone messaged me via my Bandcamp page and asked for this. He wanted to know what could be done with a Maths, A156 and Noisering. I'm using one half of the Maths as a VCO and the other half as a crude VCA. The Noisering is controlling pitch (via the A156) and opening/closing the Maths VCA.

http://recoilsun.bandcamp.com/track/maths-test
Waz
You keep convincing me that the Noisering is what I need next...
felix
Rad! How did you use the one half of the Maths like a VCA?
tIB
^ Yes... what he just said!

Love this btw smile
jonkull
felix wrote:
Rad! How did you use the one half of the Maths like a VCA?

I connected channnel 1 signal out to channel 4 signal in. Then I ran channel 4 signal out to my mixer. Then I connected the number 2 output of the Noisering to channel 4 both in and adjusted the attack and decay knobs until I only heard audio in sync with the Noisering. I was surprised it worked actually.
felix
Ah ok! That's what I thought actually, but it sounded a lot more transparent than I expected it would have sounded. Very cool!
wetterberg
isn't it like a lowpass gate, really? I mean, by using the one side of the maths to slew, and vc-ing the attack time, it becomes like a very hard, dc-capable filter, non?

lovely recording!
jonkull
That's what I was thinking when I tried it but it didn't sound the slightest bit filter-like. It was more like an on/off switch.
Hi5
wetterberg wrote:
isn't it like a lowpass gate, really? I mean, by using the one side of the maths to slew, and vc-ing the attack time, it becomes like a very hard, dc-capable filter, non?

lovely recording!

it is a lowpass filter technically as all slew are.
It is a great plus feature for the Maths, VCS, and Serge Slopes.
wetterberg
jonkull wrote:
That's what I was thinking when I tried it but it didn't sound the slightest bit filter-like. It was more like an on/off switch.
yeah, but isn't that rather because you are feeding it gates from the NR? Or was it a different kind of scaled voltage?
Hi5
on the vcs and serges using them as lowpass gates , they have a 6bd slope so the filter effect is minimal at best.
i assume the maths is similar.
jonkull
wetterberg wrote:
jonkull wrote:
yeah, but isn't that rather because you are feeding it gates from the NR? Or was it a different kind of scaled voltage?

Before using the Noisering I spent a lot of time just twisting knobs trying to effect the sound. It didn't seem to do much.
felix
MakeNoise master plan?

(note the spare 6HP is, I believe, the exact size of ModDemod 2.0)
Waz
felix wrote:
MakeNoise master plan?

(note the spare 6HP is, I believe, the exact size of ModDemod 2.0)

You must do demos of these modules! Your demos helped me buy my original synth.
jonkull
Waz wrote:

Yeah, that's how I ended up with all the Livewire modules, 2 x M10s, an M13 and an M24 as my 'starter system'. hihi
felix
Will do. Wogglebug will probably be the next video. I need to get a new video camera first.

Pressure Points will certainly get a video once I get them. Maths is not currently on my to-buy schedule yet, but there's plenty of stuff to video in between (all the harvestman stuff I've been saying I'd do for over a year now).
Waz
jonkull wrote:
Waz wrote:

Yeah, that's how I ended up with all the Livewire modules, 2 x M10s, an M13 and an M24 as my 'starter system'. hihi

Then we can compile all the module demos that everyone has done and make a sticky or even new section dedicated to it!
felix
Waz wrote:
jonkull wrote:
Waz wrote:

Then we can compile all the module demos that everyone has done and make a sticky or even new section dedicated to it!

Smells like a job for the wiki!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Your Tunes Here  
Page 1 of 1