MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer
kjellb
I did not know about the Black Syphon. I get video both ways.
Badwhite
I reeeelllllyyyy want to get this, but, call me stupid, if I buy the full version, how do I get video from lumen into a MOV or MP4 file so I can put it into a video editor later? And what is the resolution, is it possible to get HD or is it only the small window on the screen?
v8media
You can just run Syphon Recorder and record the straight stream from Lumen. http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/.
Badwhite
v8media wrote:
You can just run Syphon Recorder and record the straight stream from Lumen. http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/.

is it HD 1080 or is it some other smaller resolution?
v8media
Just SD. If you send it out of one Mac and have something like a BlackMagic device a 2nd machine to record or view that video stream, you can uprez to HD on import. Looks pretty good.
reignbear
anyone have any ideas on how i could get lumen video from my ADVC-110 s-video out? or do i have to buy an hdmi>rca thing?
seriously, i just don't get it
v8media
I don't know offhand of a program. My guess would be either a Processing or Max/MSP/Jitter app to convert Syphon streams to QuickTime streams.

I found a Max/MSP/Jitter example of the opposite (input from a device like that to a Syphon stream). If I have time in the next little while I can probably set this up to work in reverse. I don't currently have a device like that, so I wouldn't be able to test if it worked.
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2015/11/converting-qtgrab-to-syphon.h tml
FetidEye
I tried the demo, It's pretty awesome!
this really is a gateway drug to modular video hardware smile

This program feels like when I first tried patching with Reason when it came out. making weird feedback stuff w00t
A lot of possibilities and it looks very good.
reignbear
v8media wrote:
I don't know offhand of a program. My guess would be either a Processing or Max/MSP/Jitter app to convert Syphon streams to QuickTime streams.

I found a Max/MSP/Jitter example of the opposite (input from a device like that to a Syphon stream). If I have time in the next little while I can probably set this up to work in reverse. I don't currently have a device like that, so I wouldn't be able to test if it worked.
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2015/11/converting-qtgrab-to-syphon.h tml

thanks! I'll try to kludge my way around max and see if i can get it working. if you do have a chance to get something put together I'll be sure to try it out!
reignbear
I played around with it for a while and it looks like I need to go to jitter school for a bit. I'll keep plugging away, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
reignbear
got it working, but the latency/framerate kinda kill the experience. Maybe I'll just pick up a little hdmi>s-video box and use that instead...
v8media
Looks like a combo of Jitter tutorial 22 and the help file for the Syphon client should pretty much do it.

Found somebody who pretty much did that. It's showing my BlackMagic ThunderBolt Intensity as an output, but it looks like it should show DV type devices as well. Start up Lumen first and it should be able to find Lumen's Syphon stream. It sounded like you have Max with Jitter? If so, you can just go to this link and copy the patch and give it a go.
http://v002.info/forums/topic/simple-syphon-video-player-on-video-card -output

Edit: Saw that you already replied. Could be worth taking a look at this to see if it's different than what you came up with.
reignbear
v8media wrote:
Looks like a combo of Jitter tutorial 22 and the help file for the Syphon client should pretty much do it.

Found somebody who pretty much did that. It's showing my BlackMagic ThunderBolt Intensity as an output, but it looks like it should show DV type devices as well. Start up Lumen first and it should be able to find Lumen's Syphon stream. It sounded like you have Max with Jitter? If so, you can just go to this link and copy the patch and give it a go.
http://v002.info/forums/topic/simple-syphon-video-player-on-video-card -output

Edit: Saw that you already replied. Could be worth taking a look at this to see if it's different than what you came up with.

That does look like a slightly less messy version of what i had, which was exactly what you said, the jitter tutorial and the syphon client help file combined.

it works, but same issue I had with the other version regarding framerate and latency. I'm not sure if it's just inherent in the method or if it's just pushing my computer/graphics card a bit too hard (late 2013 bp retina 13").

thanks again for the help! if nothing else it got me messing around with jitter again, which has been on the to-do list for a while.
johnwynberg
Any ideas how to get pre recorded video into Lumen? Still waiting for the External Signal Processing guide to be released. Playing a video in front of the built-in camera seems an awkward way to do things on a Mac. Might need to buy an external web cam, but, still, it seems like an awkward way of doing it.
greyghost
johnwynberg wrote:
Any ideas how to get pre recorded video into Lumen? Still waiting for the External Signal Processing guide to be released. Playing a video in front of the built-in camera seems an awkward way to do things on a Mac. Might need to buy an external web cam, but, still, it seems like an awkward way of doing it.

If you have a digital video file I would suggest using VDMX in the Syphon Player template.

Drag you video to VDMX
Click "VDMX Syphon Out" from the Lumen Camera dropdown
Patch!
johnwynberg
greyghost wrote:
johnwynberg wrote:

If you have a digital video file I would suggest using VDMX in the Syphon Player template.

Drag you video to VDMX
Patch!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm still on 10.9, and VDMX5 requires at least 10.10. I'll have to think about that. Last time I upgraded my OS, it was a massive pain, spent days finding apps that didn't work, updating apps, finding licenses... All for a lot of new Apple 'cool things' that I never use. I might even consider buying a new laptop, to at least do that process gradually, instead of all at once. But for now, and external web cam sounds like a cheaper and less painful option.
mr_coops
What about a quartz composer patch to take a video file and pump it out to syphon? Not that I could make a thing myself though
Syphon and Quartz
Might do the job
mr_coops
Just looked into this and seems fairly simple to get started.
install quartz
I've attached the basic patch
There are 2 ways of doing this.

Drag the movie file you want to syphon into the quartz patch - in the example this is arrow.mov you then connect the image of this to image of syphon server

On the movie importer double click the movie importer button then type in the file location. This will need the image button connecting to the image button of syphon server.

the billboard is there to ensure your video is playing it's not necessary for the patch to work.
johnwynberg
mr_coops wrote:
install quartz

Drag the movie file you want to syphon into the quartz patch - in the example this is arrow.mov you then connect the image of this to image of syphon server

On the movie importer double click the movie importer button then type in the file location. This will need the image button connecting to the image button of syphon server.

the billboard is there to ensure your video is playing it's not necessary for the patch to work.

Thanks for the detailed alternative. I might be able to download an older version of Xcode. I assume I have to download the whole package, and then see if I can find that Quartz Composer inside. It seems Apple has been making some efforts to hide it well, and wouldn't let me to download it without the full developer package (1.1 GB!).
Syphon seems to be running ok, the server, simple client and the recorder.
johnwynberg
greyghost wrote:

Drag you video to VDMX
Patch!

I managed to download an early version of VDMX5 (b7.5.1) that works with my current OS (10.9.5), but after 3 hours trying to get it to work, it seems they only added the Syphon Output on a later version.

I see Syphon has been implemented by quite a few other apps. Can anyone recommend another one that would allow me to stream a video file to Lumen? Hopefully it would still support OS 10.9. What frustrates me the most is that Lumen and Syphon play beautifully, without problems, on my current OS.
mr_coops
johnwynberg wrote:
mr_coops wrote:
install quartz

Thanks for the detailed alternative. I might be able to download an older version of Xcode. I assume I have to download the whole package, and then see if I can find that Quartz Composer inside. It seems Apple has been making some efforts to hide it well, and wouldn't let me to download it without the full developer package (1.1 GB!).
Syphon seems to be running ok, the server, simple client and the recorder.

Not sure if you need the whole Xcode or just the graphics tools from the developer site. If you like I can try and download it and share it here... Just let me know. Dunno if they allow older version downloads I realise that Apple can make it hard to get legacy versions. What version OS are you running and I'll have a look when I've got a moment

A quick Google search got me hereXcode versions tells what version of Xcode to download
johnwynberg
mr_coops wrote:

Not sure if you need the whole Xcode or just the graphics tools from the developer site. If you like I can try and download it and share it here... Just let me know. Dunno if they allow older version downloads I realise that Apple can make it hard to get legacy versions. What version OS are you running and I'll have a look when I've got a moment

Thanks for the offer. I'm on OS 10.9.5. I'll have a look tomorrow, and see if I can find that Quartz Composer, but I'm pleased to report that I finally managed to get a video file streaming to Lumen, using Isadora.
paosciante
Do we know of any plans for the two remaining tutorials in the Lumen webpage? I am really looking forward to them!
cmcavoy
I'm dipping my toes in the analog video synth world (have been messing around with audio eurorack for a couple of years now). Instead of jumping fully into the analog world, I planned on playing with Lumen for a while.

Is it still useful? Is the product stalling out at all? Folks still happy with it? Compared to a hardware synth, it's cheap - but hey, it's still more than I like to be cautious, especially with software as it tends to go stale faster than hardware.
Agawell
I use processing for all sorts of things playing video files, generating.graphics processing live video and all via syphon into lumen and for feeding lumen back into lumen

it's free and pretty simple to get started

here's an example of a processing patch switching the syphon feeds it's displaying randomly - so it sees all syphon feeds but itself and outputs that to lumen for further processing https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb6pig4lw4m/

and another one

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba1GEstlrba/

this one may or may not have processing between the iphone camera and lumen in it... not sure https://www.instagram.com/p/BbYCAT_lOCi/

and this was my first play with my syphon switching sketch feeding lumen

https://www.instagram.com/p/Baz2wTpFu-n/
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 3 of 5