MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Author Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer
cmcavoy
Great links @agawell, thanks!

Seems like it's still going strong and being used...I think I'll jump in.
Agawell
Rockin' Banana!
tau_seti
Seems cool, just the price. I know, it’s not much compared say, to the price of the Vidiot. But still.
monolithicfungus
Love Lumen, been using it for a few years now, but I still can't figure out how to get it to export in a "widescreen" 16:9 ratio. It seems to only export via Symphon in old school 4:3 aspect ratio.

Anyone have any suggestions on this front?
Agawell
i think you'd have to export via syphon and then convert... or you could try using a 2nd monitor that is the target ratio and running lumen full screen on that and then recording that screen using quicktime
lookmanohands
I am looking into getting Lumen and using it for some live shows.
I don't have a Mac, so was thinking about doing a hackintosh just for Lumen. However it seems like this is likely to bring a multitude of problems, mainly compatibility of the OS with the hardware. So I'd rather go for a second hand Macbook. I understood that Lumen is relatively light on CPU, but uses GPU quite a lot. Can anyone tell me how old of a Macbook I can use and still have Lumen running fine?
I'd be using it just for Lumen and potentially VDMX to syphon video into Lumen.
FetidEye
I have a macbook from 2013, which runs Lumen quite well.
lookmanohands
FetidEye wrote:
I have a macbook from 2013, which runs Lumen quite well.

Thanks. Is it a macbook pro with an integrated Intel iris GPU?
Or is it one of the macbooks that has a discrete GPU?
johnwynberg
lookmanohands wrote:
I am looking into getting Lumen and using it for some live shows.
I don't have a Mac, so was thinking about doing a hackintosh just for Lumen. However it seems like this is likely to bring a multitude of problems, mainly compatibility of the OS with the hardware. So I'd rather go for a second hand Macbook. I understood that Lumen is relatively light on CPU, but uses GPU quite a lot. Can anyone tell me how old of a Macbook I can use and still have Lumen running fine?
I'd be using it just for Lumen and potentially VDMX to syphon video into Lumen.

Keep in mind that VDMX5 requires Mac OS X 10.10 or later. I had Lumen running on an iMac 2013 just fine, but I didn't want to upgrade the OS just for that, and it was a massive pain in the neck finding an alternative way to syphon video into it. In the end I managed with Isadora.
Agawell
i syphon video into Lumen using either processing3 or praxis_live

I've sometimes used syphon sender type things too - iphone camera output for example - to create a feedback loop type thing

all of which are free and will pretty much work on anything Lumen will (watch the cpu/memory consumption)
nangu
I bought Lumen at Knobcon. It’s amazing..

I was waiting for somebody in the hotel lobby after Knobcon, and wasting time by goofing off with Lumen on my laptop - I ended up making something really cool.

I'll post video when I have some audio to go with it, but here's a still:

The "video toaster pastry" was also most appreciated. An important part of my nutritious Knobcon breakfast... thumbs up
prae
god i love this program
Agawell
prae wrote:
i love this program

me too!!!

and it really is the gateway drug - just got a visual cortex and abunch of other lzx modules

having issues getting the output from the mac to lock in the cortex - going to try using some software to interlace the hdmi output to get 480i - so hopefully that works

anyway just wanted to say a couple of things

1. I've used (I use) both a late 2012 Macbook Pro retina 15" (with the dual gpu) running 10.9.5 and a late 2016 Macbook Pro 13" (escape key) and both run Lumen very well - the 13" chokes running Lumen and VCVRack at the same time but is very happy with processing and praxis_live and firefox (with 20 tabs open)

2. Midi control - Brilliant, but a pita!!!

Jason, if you are reading, please add better editing (just turn on/off midi learning would be fantastic) and saving midi with patch in the next release

and cough, cough - last 2 manuals!!!
paosciante
Ive been stopping from buying the full version because I cant avoid but get a feeling of lack of support every time I go to the website and see they still havent uploaded the last two manuals (specially the one regarding external signal processing)

Even so, I use Lumen to goof around and do stuff when I only have my laptop. Is a very powerfull synth, but I would really love to see those manuals uploaded
Agawell
+everyone else who uses Lumen - and there's a list of other things that are 'being worked on' - audio interaction, windows port etc

even rough drafts of the 2 missing manuals would be great

I understand not wanting to pay for it until the manuals are there etc

I bought my copy - because I wanted to get rid of the watermark and save my patches AND because I work in S/W development and I have an idea of the amount of time and effort involved in something like this

I suspect quite strongly that it's not a massive income generator for Jason and he has to do other stuff as well in order to make a living - and at least from time to time he has to hire in help to work on the development

how long has Lumen been around? - 2 to 3 years - I've been using it for at least 18 months or so I think - and how many people actually bought a copy?

LZX reckon there are somewhere between 500 and 1000 people out there with their systems (factory built and diy) - I bet the Lumen figures are in the same ball park (paid licences - and that may be optimisitic)

so by not paying for it you are probably putting the completion of the manuals etc off even further, maybe indefinitely

if you like it and use it regularly - just buy it - it's not expensive - same as a mid-priced doepfer oscillator - and for the money a hell of a lot more fun
johnwynberg
paosciante wrote:
Ive been stopping from buying the full version because I cant avoid but get a feeling of lack of support every time I go to the website and see they still havent uploaded the last two manuals (specially the one regarding external signal processing)

If you can afford it, it seems a bit petty not to buy a license just because of two missing tutorials.

The tutorials are great, but they’re not essential (in that sense, I wouldn't call them "manuals"). If you have questions about external signal processing or advanced patching techniques, you can always ask here. I’m sure people will be happy to help. As for the advanced techniques, you can study the presets.

In my opinion, the program is perfect as it is. Yes, I agree with Agawell, that it would be nice to be able to save the MIDI config with each patch… but it is not as if Lumen had any problems that the developer doesn't care to fix.
johnwynberg
Agawell wrote:

having issues getting the output from the mac to lock in the cortex - going to try using some software to interlace the hdmi output to get 480i - so hopefully that works

Agawell, did you manage to sort out that problem? I imagine the issue was not with Lumen, but with the sync between your Mac HDMI video output and Visual Cortex.
paosciante
My comment was more on the line of myself seeing the "coming soon" tag for more than a year and feeling support of the software might be a bit lacking. Havent had any issues or anything, its more of a personal choice. I am not seeing the software and thinking "gosh, I wish I had those two manuals so I could then start making amazing patches!". Id like to get more into Lumen, but both that personal feeling I get and not having a mac laptop makes me not use it that much.

Hope the developer nor anyone here felt I was attacking the brand or the people behind it.
Agawell
johnwynberg wrote:
Agawell wrote:

Agawell, did you manage to sort out that problem? I imagine the issue was not with Lumen, but with the sync between your Mac HDMI video output and Visual Cortex.

yes it was the hdmi->component converter

I got a hdmi-> composite converter really cheaply, which syncs perfectly, but is b&w

still wanting a hdmi-> component converter that works properly and is reasonably priced

but more important things in the pipeline, so that's on the backburner for now!!
docsample
Does this software allow an audio signal to modulate the video? On the website it still says it is being worked on.
Agawell
As the website states - it’s still being worked on... but you could rig something up via midi

Audio->multiband eq splitter->envelope followers-> midi-cc converter->midi interface-> lumen

I can do this with an lzx sensory translator and a doefer a-192-1

Note the midi is very sensitive
johnwynberg
There was a tutorial last night, about integrating Lumen with LZX Industries eurorack modules and Ableton Live. Here is the link to the livestream:

Virusinstaller
I heard a rumour of Lumen 2.
Hope this is true.
Branko
Fingers crossed for a PC version.
blabberbytes
Anyone know if they will update with audio reactivity soon?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next [all]
Page 4 of 5