MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer

maxheadwound

Hi there! It is with great pleasure that I'd like to announce Paracosm's next project: the Lumen Semi-Modular Video Synth! It's a Mac App that lets you work with video synthesis in an analog style, but with all the power and convenience of software - and it will be available this summer. More information and some video on the Lumen website.

If you'd like to stay in the loop about Lumen, feel free to follow Paracosm on Twitter or Facebook!

(Click for high-res images)

wcfields

NICE! I have a ton of questions Dancing Star

How many inputs can it handle?
Is it limited to 3 oscillators or could one add more/less?
Will there be any expandability with scripting / additional "modules/filters"?
What's the CPU / RAM requirements?
Is it limited to 480p? Can it do HD?
What's the price-range / MSRP?
Can you run multiple instances of the software?
Will there be any keyers incorporated?
Will there be any frame-buffers incorporated a-la like Fairlight CVI style?

(After reading the website it answered these):
Midi assignable? YES
Does it support Syphon to use with other VJ software? YES

Ginko

Time to start working on a Arduino based USB patch matrix? hihi

This looks very cool, I know someone (else) who will really like this

Matos

Oh! Syphon intergration. Nice! This should be fun with an illumina and Max.

wednesdayayay

Someone on the monome forums recently released a monome controlled ems style patchbay

Also if you can find one there is the openmusiclabs repatcher
This software looks great

brandonlogic

out of curiosity, are they currently any other software video synthesizer's out there right now?

wcfields

brandonlogic wrote:
out of curiosity, are they currently any other software video synthesizer's out there right now?

Here's a list that probably hasn't been updated since 1998:
http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vjprgpix/softmain.htm

A bunch of visualizers for OS9, Win95, and DOS:
http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vjprglst.htm

maxheadwound

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

And thanks for the questions, wcfields:

wcfields wrote:

How many inputs can it handle?

For now, just one video input.

wcfields wrote:

Is it limited to 3 oscillators or could one add more/less?
Will there be any expandability with scripting / additional "modules/filters"?

We've tried to design it as a complete standalone visual instrument - there are no plans to expand it with additional submodules. This also means no in-app purchases - what you get when you purchase is the whole package! wink

wcfields wrote:

What's the CPU / RAM requirements?
Is it limited to 480p? Can it do HD?

Our goal is to get it to run smoothly at 60fps/480p with any Mac capable of running OS X 10.8. We haven't pinpointed CPU/RAM requirements yet, since the engine performance is still being tuned, but we do plan to allow adjustable output resolution - so HD output might be an option if you have a really beefy computer!

wcfields wrote:

What's the price-range / MSRP?

We haven't 100% nailed it down yet, but more on the Renoise side of things than the Ableton side of things wink

wcfields wrote:

Can you run multiple instances of the software?

No.

wcfields wrote:

Will there be any keyers incorporated?

Right now we've got Comparators and VCAs in the signal processors, which can perform some keyer-like duties, but no keyers. We're still playing around with the signal processor layout in particular, though, so there's some wiggle room there!

wcfields wrote:

Will there be any frame-buffers incorporated a-la like Fairlight CVI style?

There won't be any framebuffers in this one, though OMG that would be awesome. SlayerBadger!

barto

this looks really cool. any chance this will be available on ios? running this on an ipad + video synth would be so cool

maxheadwound

barto wrote:
this looks really cool. any chance this will be available on ios? running this on an ipad + video synth would be so cool

Thanks! There aren't any solid plans for an iOS port at the moment, but we'll revisit that after it's released on Mac... That certainly would be really fun setup!

Thee Loving Hand

looks really cool
applause

lizlarsen

I just wanted to say that I had the pleasure of a lengthy video chat with Jason (Paracosm, LLC) last evening, and what he has in store is inspiring and exciting. I can't wait to play with the Lumen instrument... just need Component output from my Mac!

wednesdayayay

so what are the best ways to get component out for mac? and what are other options that are suggested to use for video out in cooperation with this video synth

Xylo Sesame

brandonlogic wrote:

I regularly perform with Kadian's virtual synth piped to VDMX via Syphon. Looking forward to this offering!

glia

stumbled on this today

it is nuts

Cat-A-Tonic

glia wrote:
stumbled on this today

it is nuts

Didn't think it was released yet...

glia

Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
glia wrote:
stumbled on this today

it is nuts

Didn't think it was released yet...
it isnt

i only heard about it today and am stunned...release is set for sept/october but theres a few gifs and demo vids from beta testers floating around

nickciontea

I've been testing out lumen.

i have to say its quite fun and works great as an addition to my LZX. Personally tho. coming from the modular game. I want to see it grow much more complex than form factor it is now. It's kinda like a minimoog of video synths!

kjellb

How high frequent is the oscillator?

kjellb

Thanks. When the bars are vertical, will they sync lock with no drift? How thin can the lines be when in a vertical position? Looks like a very interesting concept to me. I guess Ultra studio Express from Blackmagicdesign should work to get component in out?

nickciontea

kjellb wrote:
Thanks. When the bars are vertical, will they sync lock with no drift? How thin can the lines be when in a vertical position? Looks like a very interesting concept to me. I guess Ultra studio Express from Blackmagicdesign should work to get component in out?

lines can get extremely thin. no different than the LZX

kjellb

Sounds good. Looking forward to the release.

geronimo

Hello, very interested in video synthesis and this looks like it may be the way on for me as I'm on a budget. My only issue is that I'd have to switch systems to mac and whether the cost of that would determine that I should just go out and buy the LZX system. I appreciate your probably still working on it but do you have a ball park figure on the cost of this?

greyghost

wednesdayayay wrote:
so what are the best ways to get component out for mac? and what are other options that are suggested to use for video out in cooperation with this video synth

I've been beta-testing Lumen and within the first week I grabbed an HDMI to RCA converter Found Here. The idea was to record everything to VHS and then back into the computer, which works amazingly. However, even just the conversion from the box yields some pretty nice, warm and fuzzy results with Lumen.

A note: one does not simply grab an HDMI to RCA cable, it doesn't work. You need to get a box that actually does the conversion, as the Mac video outs are not capable of doing the conversion for you. I tried :(

sendhelp

is there an exact date yet?
I've been following.
Just curious. Looks like another great tool to squeeze into my / your workflow

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3