MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Author Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer
maxheadwound
Hi there! It is with great pleasure that I'd like to announce Paracosm's next project: the Lumen Semi-Modular Video Synth! It's a Mac App that lets you work with video synthesis in an analog style, but with all the power and convenience of software - and it will be available this summer. More information and some video on the Lumen website.

If you'd like to stay in the loop about Lumen, feel free to follow Paracosm on Twitter or Facebook!

(Click for high-res images)

wcfields
NICE! I have a ton of questions Dancing Star

How many inputs can it handle?
Is it limited to 3 oscillators or could one add more/less?
Will there be any expandability with scripting / additional "modules/filters"?
What's the CPU / RAM requirements?
Is it limited to 480p? Can it do HD?
What's the price-range / MSRP?
Can you run multiple instances of the software?
Will there be any keyers incorporated?
Will there be any frame-buffers incorporated a-la like Fairlight CVI style?

(After reading the website it answered these):
Midi assignable? YES
Does it support Syphon to use with other VJ software? YES
Ginko
Time to start working on a Arduino based USB patch matrix? hihi

This looks very cool, I know someone (else) who will really like this
Matos
Oh! Syphon intergration. Nice! This should be fun with an illumina and Max.
wednesdayayay
Someone on the monome forums recently released a monome controlled ems style patchbay

Also if you can find one there is the openmusiclabs repatcher
This software looks great
brandonlogic
out of curiosity, are they currently any other software video synthesizer's out there right now?
wcfields
brandonlogic wrote:
out of curiosity, are they currently any other software video synthesizer's out there right now?

Here's a list that probably hasn't been updated since 1998:
http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vjprgpix/softmain.htm

A bunch of visualizers for OS9, Win95, and DOS:
http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vjprglst.htm
maxheadwound
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

And thanks for the questions, wcfields:

wcfields wrote:

How many inputs can it handle?

For now, just one video input.

wcfields wrote:

Is it limited to 3 oscillators or could one add more/less?
Will there be any expandability with scripting / additional "modules/filters"?

We've tried to design it as a complete standalone visual instrument - there are no plans to expand it with additional submodules. This also means no in-app purchases - what you get when you purchase is the whole package! wink

wcfields wrote:

What's the CPU / RAM requirements?
Is it limited to 480p? Can it do HD?

Our goal is to get it to run smoothly at 60fps/480p with any Mac capable of running OS X 10.8. We haven't pinpointed CPU/RAM requirements yet, since the engine performance is still being tuned, but we do plan to allow adjustable output resolution - so HD output might be an option if you have a really beefy computer!

wcfields wrote:

What's the price-range / MSRP?

We haven't 100% nailed it down yet, but more on the Renoise side of things than the Ableton side of things wink

wcfields wrote:

Can you run multiple instances of the software?

No.

wcfields wrote:

Will there be any keyers incorporated?

Right now we've got Comparators and VCAs in the signal processors, which can perform some keyer-like duties, but no keyers. We're still playing around with the signal processor layout in particular, though, so there's some wiggle room there!

wcfields wrote:

Will there be any frame-buffers incorporated a-la like Fairlight CVI style?

There won't be any framebuffers in this one, though OMG that would be awesome. SlayerBadger!
barto
this looks really cool. any chance this will be available on ios? running this on an ipad + video synth would be so cool
maxheadwound
barto wrote:
this looks really cool. any chance this will be available on ios? running this on an ipad + video synth would be so cool

Thanks! There aren't any solid plans for an iOS port at the moment, but we'll revisit that after it's released on Mac... That certainly would be really fun setup!
Thee Loving Hand
looks really cool
applause
lizlarsen
I just wanted to say that I had the pleasure of a lengthy video chat with Jason (Paracosm, LLC) last evening, and what he has in store is inspiring and exciting. I can't wait to play with the Lumen instrument... just need Component output from my Mac!
wednesdayayay
so what are the best ways to get component out for mac? and what are other options that are suggested to use for video out in cooperation with this video synth
Xylo Sesame
brandonlogic wrote:

I regularly perform with Kadian's virtual synth piped to VDMX via Syphon. Looking forward to this offering!
glia
stumbled on this today

it is nuts
Cat-A-Tonic
glia wrote:
stumbled on this today

it is nuts

Didn't think it was released yet...
glia
Cat-A-Tonic wrote:
glia wrote:
stumbled on this today

it is nuts

Didn't think it was released yet...
it isnt

i only heard about it today and am stunned...release is set for sept/october but theres a few gifs and demo vids from beta testers floating around
nickciontea
I've been testing out lumen.

i have to say its quite fun and works great as an addition to my LZX. Personally tho. coming from the modular game. I want to see it grow much more complex than form factor it is now. It's kinda like a minimoog of video synths!
kjellb
How high frequent is the oscillator?
kjellb
Thanks. When the bars are vertical, will they sync lock with no drift? How thin can the lines be when in a vertical position? Looks like a very interesting concept to me. I guess Ultra studio Express from Blackmagicdesign should work to get component in out?
nickciontea
kjellb wrote:
Thanks. When the bars are vertical, will they sync lock with no drift? How thin can the lines be when in a vertical position? Looks like a very interesting concept to me. I guess Ultra studio Express from Blackmagicdesign should work to get component in out?

lines can get extremely thin. no different than the LZX
kjellb
Sounds good. Looking forward to the release.
geronimo
Hello, very interested in video synthesis and this looks like it may be the way on for me as I'm on a budget. My only issue is that I'd have to switch systems to mac and whether the cost of that would determine that I should just go out and buy the LZX system. I appreciate your probably still working on it but do you have a ball park figure on the cost of this?
greyghost
wednesdayayay wrote:
so what are the best ways to get component out for mac? and what are other options that are suggested to use for video out in cooperation with this video synth

I've been beta-testing Lumen and within the first week I grabbed an HDMI to RCA converter Found Here. The idea was to record everything to VHS and then back into the computer, which works amazingly. However, even just the conversion from the box yields some pretty nice, warm and fuzzy results with Lumen.

A note: one does not simply grab an HDMI to RCA cable, it doesn't work. You need to get a box that actually does the conversion, as the Mac video outs are not capable of doing the conversion for you. I tried :(
sendhelp
is there an exact date yet?
I've been following.
Just curious. Looks like another great tool to squeeze into my / your workflow
maxheadwound
sendhelp wrote:
is there an exact date yet?

Rockin' Banana! Just made the announcement! (link)
geronimo
Good price to!
Tenderosa
I know this got derailed by Capitan for a while, but anyone heard any news of it being back on the horizon again?
Dirty_Bill
Tenderosa wrote:
I know this got derailed by Capitan for a while, but anyone heard any news of it being back on the horizon again?

According to the Facebook page about a month ago, they're writing up the manual and release is, er, well, 'soon.

Lumen Guide (parts)
kjellb
The manual says Lumen can process video from a webcam, but does not say anything about external video. Does this mean that it does not recognize video cards?
Dirty_Bill
Can't reply authoritatively as I don't have access to the app, however, if the camera shows up in OSX ('like' a webcam), or another App sees it that supports Syphon, you should be able to get the feed or camera video in.
maxheadwound
Hey there! Yes, things definitely did get derailed by El Capitan, but everything's all back on the rails now. I'm not going to announce a release date until it's 100% ready to go, but the only things left to work on are a Demo Mode and a non-teaser website/ e-store. The preset library is complete and looking so so good. Over 150 patches from 10 different artists. I can't wait to get this out there in everyone's hands.

And just because, here's a GIF I made yesterday while testing bouncing Lumen's output to VHS:

Thanks for your patience, everyone! <3
-Jason
maxheadwound
Dirty_Bill wrote:
Can't reply authoritatively as I don't have access to the app, however, if the camera shows up in OSX ('like' a webcam), or another App sees it that supports Syphon, you should be able to get the feed or camera video in.

Yep! Anything that shows up like a webcam or a Syphon stream already works great with Lumen. We'll be adding support for other video I/O options over time, most likely starting with Blackmagic products.
Matos
Yeah! Glad to hear some news. Looking good.
cskonopka
maxheadwound wrote:
Dirty_Bill wrote:

Yep! Anything that shows up like a webcam or a Syphon stream already works great with Lumen. We'll be adding support for other video I/O options over time, most likely starting with Blackmagic products.

Thank you for adding Syphon! This truly extends the hand of the concept into OpenGL territory with jit.gl.mesh and jit.gl.video, just to name a few. Very very excited about the potential. hyper hyper hyper
Tenderosa
Excellent, what great news, looking forward to it.
healingproperties
this looks awesome and powerful SlayerBadger!
samn
any plans for a Windows release? Do macs even have video outputs anymore? xD
Dirty_Bill
samn wrote:
any plans for a Windows release? Do macs even have video outputs anymore? xD

Don't know about the Windows version, but Macs can have multiple video outs via Thunderbolt and DVI...
Dirty_Bill
Release date, anyone want but my hardware synth? hihi

Lumen Release Date
FetidEye
looking forward trying this out!
it's like a gateway drug to modular video synthesis

hey Bill, i'd like to butt your videosynth w00t
Dirty_Bill
FetidEye wrote:

Damn Autocorrect!
maxheadwound
Dirty_Bill wrote:
FetidEye wrote:

Damn Autocorrect!

LOL! Also, I should mention that Lumen pairs quite nicely with analog video equipment if you use something like a cheap HDMI->RCA adapter to get the video out of your computer.
colorsinwaves
Effing awesome! Very impressed applause

Was expecting the osc's to make sound too though.
maxheadwound
colorsinwaves wrote:
Effing awesome! Very impressed applause

Was expecting the osc's to make sound too though.

Thank you! Not yet, but maybe someday Mr. Green
huron
Grabbed the demo. Very very cool. Was looking for something to add visuals to my live show. Interested in the MIDI and Audio control that's coming soon.
esko997
Just picked this up tonight, totally love this thing, made a quick demo of some of the stuff I did if anyone is interested. Music is just messing around on the Eurorack:

kjellb
I see it recognizes Blackmagic, but I do not get anything piped through. Anyone had any success?
v8media
I've been playing with this a fair bit over the weekend. I think you're going too need Black Syphon to set the input or output of your BlackMagic device: http://vdmx.vidvox.net/blog/black-syphon.

kjellb wrote:
I see it recognizes Blackmagic, but I do not get anything piped through. Anyone had any success?
colorsinwaves
maxheadwound wrote:

Thank you! Not yet, but maybe someday Mr. Green

Midi control will be perfect!
kjellb
I did not know about the Black Syphon. I get video both ways.
Badwhite
I reeeelllllyyyy want to get this, but, call me stupid, if I buy the full version, how do I get video from lumen into a MOV or MP4 file so I can put it into a video editor later? And what is the resolution, is it possible to get HD or is it only the small window on the screen?
v8media
You can just run Syphon Recorder and record the straight stream from Lumen. http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/.
Badwhite
v8media wrote:
You can just run Syphon Recorder and record the straight stream from Lumen. http://syphon.v002.info/recorder/.

is it HD 1080 or is it some other smaller resolution?
v8media
Just SD. If you send it out of one Mac and have something like a BlackMagic device a 2nd machine to record or view that video stream, you can uprez to HD on import. Looks pretty good.
reignbear
anyone have any ideas on how i could get lumen video from my ADVC-110 s-video out? or do i have to buy an hdmi>rca thing?
seriously, i just don't get it
v8media
I don't know offhand of a program. My guess would be either a Processing or Max/MSP/Jitter app to convert Syphon streams to QuickTime streams.

I found a Max/MSP/Jitter example of the opposite (input from a device like that to a Syphon stream). If I have time in the next little while I can probably set this up to work in reverse. I don't currently have a device like that, so I wouldn't be able to test if it worked.
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2015/11/converting-qtgrab-to-syphon.h tml
FetidEye
I tried the demo, It's pretty awesome!
this really is a gateway drug to modular video hardware smile

This program feels like when I first tried patching with Reason when it came out. making weird feedback stuff w00t
A lot of possibilities and it looks very good.
reignbear
v8media wrote:
I don't know offhand of a program. My guess would be either a Processing or Max/MSP/Jitter app to convert Syphon streams to QuickTime streams.

I found a Max/MSP/Jitter example of the opposite (input from a device like that to a Syphon stream). If I have time in the next little while I can probably set this up to work in reverse. I don't currently have a device like that, so I wouldn't be able to test if it worked.
http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2015/11/converting-qtgrab-to-syphon.h tml

thanks! I'll try to kludge my way around max and see if i can get it working. if you do have a chance to get something put together I'll be sure to try it out!
reignbear
I played around with it for a while and it looks like I need to go to jitter school for a bit. I'll keep plugging away, but any advice would be greatly appreciated!
reignbear
got it working, but the latency/framerate kinda kill the experience. Maybe I'll just pick up a little hdmi>s-video box and use that instead...
v8media
Looks like a combo of Jitter tutorial 22 and the help file for the Syphon client should pretty much do it.

Found somebody who pretty much did that. It's showing my BlackMagic ThunderBolt Intensity as an output, but it looks like it should show DV type devices as well. Start up Lumen first and it should be able to find Lumen's Syphon stream. It sounded like you have Max with Jitter? If so, you can just go to this link and copy the patch and give it a go.
http://v002.info/forums/topic/simple-syphon-video-player-on-video-card -output

Edit: Saw that you already replied. Could be worth taking a look at this to see if it's different than what you came up with.
reignbear
v8media wrote:
Looks like a combo of Jitter tutorial 22 and the help file for the Syphon client should pretty much do it.

Found somebody who pretty much did that. It's showing my BlackMagic ThunderBolt Intensity as an output, but it looks like it should show DV type devices as well. Start up Lumen first and it should be able to find Lumen's Syphon stream. It sounded like you have Max with Jitter? If so, you can just go to this link and copy the patch and give it a go.
http://v002.info/forums/topic/simple-syphon-video-player-on-video-card -output

Edit: Saw that you already replied. Could be worth taking a look at this to see if it's different than what you came up with.

That does look like a slightly less messy version of what i had, which was exactly what you said, the jitter tutorial and the syphon client help file combined.

it works, but same issue I had with the other version regarding framerate and latency. I'm not sure if it's just inherent in the method or if it's just pushing my computer/graphics card a bit too hard (late 2013 bp retina 13").

thanks again for the help! if nothing else it got me messing around with jitter again, which has been on the to-do list for a while.
johnwynberg
Any ideas how to get pre recorded video into Lumen? Still waiting for the External Signal Processing guide to be released. Playing a video in front of the built-in camera seems an awkward way to do things on a Mac. Might need to buy an external web cam, but, still, it seems like an awkward way of doing it.
greyghost
johnwynberg wrote:
Any ideas how to get pre recorded video into Lumen? Still waiting for the External Signal Processing guide to be released. Playing a video in front of the built-in camera seems an awkward way to do things on a Mac. Might need to buy an external web cam, but, still, it seems like an awkward way of doing it.

If you have a digital video file I would suggest using VDMX in the Syphon Player template.

Drag you video to VDMX
Click "VDMX Syphon Out" from the Lumen Camera dropdown
Patch!
johnwynberg
greyghost wrote:
johnwynberg wrote:

If you have a digital video file I would suggest using VDMX in the Syphon Player template.

Drag you video to VDMX
Patch!

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm still on 10.9, and VDMX5 requires at least 10.10. I'll have to think about that. Last time I upgraded my OS, it was a massive pain, spent days finding apps that didn't work, updating apps, finding licenses... All for a lot of new Apple 'cool things' that I never use. I might even consider buying a new laptop, to at least do that process gradually, instead of all at once. But for now, and external web cam sounds like a cheaper and less painful option.
mr_coops
What about a quartz composer patch to take a video file and pump it out to syphon? Not that I could make a thing myself though
Syphon and Quartz
Might do the job
mr_coops
Just looked into this and seems fairly simple to get started.
install quartz
I've attached the basic patch
There are 2 ways of doing this.

Drag the movie file you want to syphon into the quartz patch - in the example this is arrow.mov you then connect the image of this to image of syphon server

On the movie importer double click the movie importer button then type in the file location. This will need the image button connecting to the image button of syphon server.

the billboard is there to ensure your video is playing it's not necessary for the patch to work.
johnwynberg
mr_coops wrote:
install quartz

Drag the movie file you want to syphon into the quartz patch - in the example this is arrow.mov you then connect the image of this to image of syphon server

On the movie importer double click the movie importer button then type in the file location. This will need the image button connecting to the image button of syphon server.

the billboard is there to ensure your video is playing it's not necessary for the patch to work.

Thanks for the detailed alternative. I might be able to download an older version of Xcode. I assume I have to download the whole package, and then see if I can find that Quartz Composer inside. It seems Apple has been making some efforts to hide it well, and wouldn't let me to download it without the full developer package (1.1 GB!).
Syphon seems to be running ok, the server, simple client and the recorder.
johnwynberg
greyghost wrote:

Drag you video to VDMX
Patch!

I managed to download an early version of VDMX5 (b7.5.1) that works with my current OS (10.9.5), but after 3 hours trying to get it to work, it seems they only added the Syphon Output on a later version.

I see Syphon has been implemented by quite a few other apps. Can anyone recommend another one that would allow me to stream a video file to Lumen? Hopefully it would still support OS 10.9. What frustrates me the most is that Lumen and Syphon play beautifully, without problems, on my current OS.
mr_coops
johnwynberg wrote:
mr_coops wrote:
install quartz

Thanks for the detailed alternative. I might be able to download an older version of Xcode. I assume I have to download the whole package, and then see if I can find that Quartz Composer inside. It seems Apple has been making some efforts to hide it well, and wouldn't let me to download it without the full developer package (1.1 GB!).
Syphon seems to be running ok, the server, simple client and the recorder.

Not sure if you need the whole Xcode or just the graphics tools from the developer site. If you like I can try and download it and share it here... Just let me know. Dunno if they allow older version downloads I realise that Apple can make it hard to get legacy versions. What version OS are you running and I'll have a look when I've got a moment

A quick Google search got me hereXcode versions tells what version of Xcode to download
johnwynberg
mr_coops wrote:

Not sure if you need the whole Xcode or just the graphics tools from the developer site. If you like I can try and download it and share it here... Just let me know. Dunno if they allow older version downloads I realise that Apple can make it hard to get legacy versions. What version OS are you running and I'll have a look when I've got a moment

Thanks for the offer. I'm on OS 10.9.5. I'll have a look tomorrow, and see if I can find that Quartz Composer, but I'm pleased to report that I finally managed to get a video file streaming to Lumen, using Isadora.
paosciante
Do we know of any plans for the two remaining tutorials in the Lumen webpage? I am really looking forward to them!
cmcavoy
I'm dipping my toes in the analog video synth world (have been messing around with audio eurorack for a couple of years now). Instead of jumping fully into the analog world, I planned on playing with Lumen for a while.

Is it still useful? Is the product stalling out at all? Folks still happy with it? Compared to a hardware synth, it's cheap - but hey, it's still more than I like to be cautious, especially with software as it tends to go stale faster than hardware.
Agawell
I use processing for all sorts of things playing video files, generating.graphics processing live video and all via syphon into lumen and for feeding lumen back into lumen

it's free and pretty simple to get started

here's an example of a processing patch switching the syphon feeds it's displaying randomly - so it sees all syphon feeds but itself and outputs that to lumen for further processing https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb6pig4lw4m/

and another one

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba1GEstlrba/

this one may or may not have processing between the iphone camera and lumen in it... not sure https://www.instagram.com/p/BbYCAT_lOCi/

and this was my first play with my syphon switching sketch feeding lumen

https://www.instagram.com/p/Baz2wTpFu-n/
cmcavoy
Great links @agawell, thanks!

Seems like it's still going strong and being used...I think I'll jump in.
Agawell
Rockin' Banana!
tau_seti
Seems cool, just the price. I know, it’s not much compared say, to the price of the Vidiot. But still.
monolithicfungus
Love Lumen, been using it for a few years now, but I still can't figure out how to get it to export in a "widescreen" 16:9 ratio. It seems to only export via Symphon in old school 4:3 aspect ratio.

Anyone have any suggestions on this front?
Agawell
i think you'd have to export via syphon and then convert... or you could try using a 2nd monitor that is the target ratio and running lumen full screen on that and then recording that screen using quicktime
lookmanohands
I am looking into getting Lumen and using it for some live shows.
I don't have a Mac, so was thinking about doing a hackintosh just for Lumen. However it seems like this is likely to bring a multitude of problems, mainly compatibility of the OS with the hardware. So I'd rather go for a second hand Macbook. I understood that Lumen is relatively light on CPU, but uses GPU quite a lot. Can anyone tell me how old of a Macbook I can use and still have Lumen running fine?
I'd be using it just for Lumen and potentially VDMX to syphon video into Lumen.
FetidEye
I have a macbook from 2013, which runs Lumen quite well.
lookmanohands
FetidEye wrote:
I have a macbook from 2013, which runs Lumen quite well.

Thanks. Is it a macbook pro with an integrated Intel iris GPU?
Or is it one of the macbooks that has a discrete GPU?
johnwynberg
lookmanohands wrote:
I am looking into getting Lumen and using it for some live shows.
I don't have a Mac, so was thinking about doing a hackintosh just for Lumen. However it seems like this is likely to bring a multitude of problems, mainly compatibility of the OS with the hardware. So I'd rather go for a second hand Macbook. I understood that Lumen is relatively light on CPU, but uses GPU quite a lot. Can anyone tell me how old of a Macbook I can use and still have Lumen running fine?
I'd be using it just for Lumen and potentially VDMX to syphon video into Lumen.

Keep in mind that VDMX5 requires Mac OS X 10.10 or later. I had Lumen running on an iMac 2013 just fine, but I didn't want to upgrade the OS just for that, and it was a massive pain in the neck finding an alternative way to syphon video into it. In the end I managed with Isadora.
Agawell
i syphon video into Lumen using either processing3 or praxis_live

I've sometimes used syphon sender type things too - iphone camera output for example - to create a feedback loop type thing

all of which are free and will pretty much work on anything Lumen will (watch the cpu/memory consumption)
nangu
I bought Lumen at Knobcon. It’s amazing..

I was waiting for somebody in the hotel lobby after Knobcon, and wasting time by goofing off with Lumen on my laptop - I ended up making something really cool.

I'll post video when I have some audio to go with it, but here's a still:

The "video toaster pastry" was also most appreciated. An important part of my nutritious Knobcon breakfast... thumbs up
prae
god i love this program
Agawell
prae wrote:
i love this program

me too!!!

and it really is the gateway drug - just got a visual cortex and abunch of other lzx modules

having issues getting the output from the mac to lock in the cortex - going to try using some software to interlace the hdmi output to get 480i - so hopefully that works

anyway just wanted to say a couple of things

1. I've used (I use) both a late 2012 Macbook Pro retina 15" (with the dual gpu) running 10.9.5 and a late 2016 Macbook Pro 13" (escape key) and both run Lumen very well - the 13" chokes running Lumen and VCVRack at the same time but is very happy with processing and praxis_live and firefox (with 20 tabs open)

2. Midi control - Brilliant, but a pita!!!

Jason, if you are reading, please add better editing (just turn on/off midi learning would be fantastic) and saving midi with patch in the next release

and cough, cough - last 2 manuals!!!
paosciante
Ive been stopping from buying the full version because I cant avoid but get a feeling of lack of support every time I go to the website and see they still havent uploaded the last two manuals (specially the one regarding external signal processing)

Even so, I use Lumen to goof around and do stuff when I only have my laptop. Is a very powerfull synth, but I would really love to see those manuals uploaded
Agawell
+everyone else who uses Lumen - and there's a list of other things that are 'being worked on' - audio interaction, windows port etc

even rough drafts of the 2 missing manuals would be great

I understand not wanting to pay for it until the manuals are there etc

I bought my copy - because I wanted to get rid of the watermark and save my patches AND because I work in S/W development and I have an idea of the amount of time and effort involved in something like this

I suspect quite strongly that it's not a massive income generator for Jason and he has to do other stuff as well in order to make a living - and at least from time to time he has to hire in help to work on the development

how long has Lumen been around? - 2 to 3 years - I've been using it for at least 18 months or so I think - and how many people actually bought a copy?

LZX reckon there are somewhere between 500 and 1000 people out there with their systems (factory built and diy) - I bet the Lumen figures are in the same ball park (paid licences - and that may be optimisitic)

so by not paying for it you are probably putting the completion of the manuals etc off even further, maybe indefinitely

if you like it and use it regularly - just buy it - it's not expensive - same as a mid-priced doepfer oscillator - and for the money a hell of a lot more fun
johnwynberg
paosciante wrote:
Ive been stopping from buying the full version because I cant avoid but get a feeling of lack of support every time I go to the website and see they still havent uploaded the last two manuals (specially the one regarding external signal processing)

If you can afford it, it seems a bit petty not to buy a license just because of two missing tutorials.

The tutorials are great, but they’re not essential (in that sense, I wouldn't call them "manuals"). If you have questions about external signal processing or advanced patching techniques, you can always ask here. I’m sure people will be happy to help. As for the advanced techniques, you can study the presets.

In my opinion, the program is perfect as it is. Yes, I agree with Agawell, that it would be nice to be able to save the MIDI config with each patch… but it is not as if Lumen had any problems that the developer doesn't care to fix.
johnwynberg
Agawell wrote:

having issues getting the output from the mac to lock in the cortex - going to try using some software to interlace the hdmi output to get 480i - so hopefully that works

Agawell, did you manage to sort out that problem? I imagine the issue was not with Lumen, but with the sync between your Mac HDMI video output and Visual Cortex.
paosciante
My comment was more on the line of myself seeing the "coming soon" tag for more than a year and feeling support of the software might be a bit lacking. Havent had any issues or anything, its more of a personal choice. I am not seeing the software and thinking "gosh, I wish I had those two manuals so I could then start making amazing patches!". Id like to get more into Lumen, but both that personal feeling I get and not having a mac laptop makes me not use it that much.

Hope the developer nor anyone here felt I was attacking the brand or the people behind it.
Agawell
johnwynberg wrote:
Agawell wrote:

Agawell, did you manage to sort out that problem? I imagine the issue was not with Lumen, but with the sync between your Mac HDMI video output and Visual Cortex.

yes it was the hdmi->component converter

I got a hdmi-> composite converter really cheaply, which syncs perfectly, but is b&w

still wanting a hdmi-> component converter that works properly and is reasonably priced

but more important things in the pipeline, so that's on the backburner for now!!
docsample
Does this software allow an audio signal to modulate the video? On the website it still says it is being worked on.
Agawell
As the website states - it’s still being worked on... but you could rig something up via midi

Audio->multiband eq splitter->envelope followers-> midi-cc converter->midi interface-> lumen

I can do this with an lzx sensory translator and a doefer a-192-1

Note the midi is very sensitive
johnwynberg
There was a tutorial last night, about integrating Lumen with LZX Industries eurorack modules and Ableton Live. Here is the link to the livestream:

Virusinstaller
I heard a rumour of Lumen 2.
Hope this is true.
Branko
Fingers crossed for a PC version.
blabberbytes
Anyone know if they will update with audio reactivity soon?
johnwynberg
Not sure if you have watched the video above, but in case you haven’t…

Jason mentions that he’s working on a Lumen HD, not sure if that’s what you mean by Lumen 2 @Virusinstaller, or how different it would be from the current version of Lumen (apart from the HD resolution, of course). [I wish there would be something like NI Blocks for video synthesis, but I suppose there is no market enough for a development at such a scale.]

If I remember correctly, Jason also mentions a PC version, @Branko, but since I have no interest on such a version, I didn’t pay much attention.

As for “audio reactivity”, @blabberbytes, he mentioned he had been working on it, but it was buggy, so he decided not to implement it for the current version of Lumen. Apparently he’s still working on it. In the meantime, as he showed in the video, it’s possible to get Lumen to react to audio through MIDI.

Having said all that, he seems to work alone, there doesn't seem to be a company or a team behind Lumen, so all those plans can happen any time soon or take another year, who knows.
shoottofill
so has anyone used a MIDI controller with Lumen? Just started messing around with it and immediately want a controller. Will pull the trigger once the HD update comes out for Lumen. But i wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a controller and Lumen and if so, do you have any recommendations?
Matos
Cheap korg nanokontrols work well. Mrk 1 is best but the newer version also works well.
Agawell
I've used a beatstep pro to wiggle with and I also have a doepfer 16 channel cv to midi cc module that I use a lot

must try them combined at some point
shoottofill
Agawell wrote:
I've used a beatstep pro to wiggle with and I also have a doepfer 16 channel cv to midi cc module that I use a lot

must try them combined at some point

oh, like in a way to have CV control over LUMEN?

thats kinda brilliant.
Agawell
yeah kind of a pia to set up and control in lumen and I find attenuators before the cv->midi converter are really helpful

addac also do a module for this which is currently available, the doepfer is discontinued, but can be found used for a good price

also I use a lzx sensory translator to add audio reactivity to both lumen and other lzx modules, which are being fed by the outputs from lumen which in turn has a webcam pointed at the tv screen
tau_seti
Any idea of how the fractally "Black Lotus" or "Electric Consciousness" patches are made in Lumen?
johnwynberg
tau_seti wrote:
Any idea of how the fractally "Black Lotus" or "Electric Consciousness" patches are made in Lumen?

Not sure I understand your question, since, if you click on the Patch tab, you can clearly see how Lumen has been patched, and on the Knobs tab, the settings for each knob. Although everything contributes to the final patch, those two patches seem tot rely heavily on the K.Scope, Trails and an XOR.
tau_seti
Well, I suppose it would have been too much for me to RTFM.

Thanks! I’ll do that now!

Lumen’s definitely a very different animal than my LZX modules.
floris
what midi controller would you suggest that can connect to all the knobs?

update: probably a Behringer ROTARY BCR2000 Total-Recall USB/MIDI Controller with 32 Illuminated Rotary Encoders would work for this?
jpeterman
Does anyone here know if audio reactivity has been developed yet? So that it syncs with audio?
Agawell
hahahaa

no - best place to check is the paracosm slack

iirc hd ouptut and windows appear to have got higher priority

if you really want audio reactivity now then the only real options are coding something yourself in praxis_live or max or similar or using a cv to midi cv eurorack module and an lzx sensory translator

I use the lzx sensory translator and a doepfer a192-1 (which is discontinued and can be very reasonably priced used)

the only alternative I know of to the doepfer is from addac, but is quite a bit dearer for not a great deal extra functionality
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Video Synthesis  
Page 1 of 5