MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

What outboard would you consider essential
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author What outboard would you consider essential
coolshirtdotjpg
I don't mean this to be rude, but I always hate when someone asks for peoples' opinion about gear, and then there are a bunch of people who respond with "it takes years of experience, talent, great ears etc." Sure, that's true, but we all know that, it's such a cliche at this point, there's really no point in stating the obvious. There may also be no point in just mentioning lists of gear, but for someone who isn't sure where to even start these kinds of threads are at least useful. It just seems like people are patting themselves on the back, rather than trying to help people when they refer to their own talent, or years of training...
mousegarden
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
I don't mean this to be rude, but I always hate when someone asks for peoples' opinion about gear, and then there are a bunch of people who respond with "it takes years of experience, talent, great ears etc." Sure, that's true, but we all know that, it's such a cliche

It takes years of experience, and it takes loads of talent, and it also helps if you have great ears. But ad to that lot a sensitive disposition, heaps of good judgement, and you might, just might, get somewhere.

hmmm.....
coolshirtdotjpg
mousegarden wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
I don't mean this to be rude, but I always hate when someone asks for peoples' opinion about gear, and then there are a bunch of people who respond with "it takes years of experience, talent, great ears etc." Sure, that's true, but we all know that, it's such a cliche

It takes years of experience, and it takes loads of talent, and it also helps if you have great ears. But ad to that lot a sensitive disposition, heaps of good judgement, and you might, just might, get somewhere.

hmmm.....

I agree, its just that I don't see why it needs to be said. Like should every gear recommendation request start with "I know that it require talent, good ears, experience, a good disposition and judgment, BUT" seriously, i just don't get it

Edit: Reading back, I apologize if I sound harsher than was my intention. I didn't mean to come off that way.
stk
To be fair, I don't know if there is any self back patting in this thread?

Anyway it depends on the intention of the question, yeah?
Is it about *your personal* essential gear (which is subjective of course, but I guess can lead to interesting finds/discussions), or *universally* essential gear (which is ridiculous, not at all useful, and can mislead newcomers into thinking that everyone actually NEEDS specific tools to make music)?
mousegarden
stk wrote:
To be fair, I don't know if there is any self back patting in this thread?

Anyway it depends on the intention of the question, yeah?
Is it about *your personal* essential gear (which is subjective of course, but I guess can lead to interesting finds/discussions), or *universally* essential gear (which is ridiculous, not at all useful, and can mislead newcomers into thinking that everyone actually NEEDS specific tools to make music)?

I just need the tools I need, trouble is, I can't make up my mind most of the time exactly what it is I need ! That's why it's a constant trail of experimentation for a lot of us, some things stick, others move on to that great big FS/Trade column in the sky !
stk
At the risk of sounding patronising, but in the lightest of spirits, I suggest you just forget the fucking tools, focus on the music.
If you can't decid it means they aren't really needed. The tools that you truly "need" will become apparent in time.

Cheers
Morley
When answering a thread with the title "which outboard would YOU consider essential" I thought it meant what gear I always use when working, not "what are the attributes a person needs for producing good music"

So if I was not to answer the question, I would say talent, experience and ears.
If I was to answer the question, I would say I consider a mixing desk, an eventide H3000 and a quality outboard reverb or two essential to get me where I want to go.

Are we on gearslutz? It sounds like it. "don't worry about gear, all the greats could make a record on anything"

I mean, to a certain degree I agree. It is the music that matters, BUT let's answer the question!
mousegarden
Morley wrote:
When answering a thread with the title "which outboard would YOU consider essential" I thought it meant what gear I always use when working, not "what are the attributes a person needs for producing good music"

So if I was not to answer the question, I would say talent, experience and ears.
If I was to answer the question, I would say I consider a mixing desk, an eventide H3000 and a quality outboard reverb or two essential to get me where I want to go.

Are we on gearslutz? It sounds like it. "don't worry about gear, all the greats could make a record on anything"

I mean, to a certain degree I agree. It is the music that matters, BUT let's answer the question!

Er, yeah ! I was just giving my opinion, we all know about the "talent, music is everything" routine, that's a given, but as you say, we are just answering the question ! Sometimes people like to say things like "the gear doesn't matter" I'm sure I've said it a gazillion times, but this is a gear forum ! that's what we tend to talk about, otherwise Muff's wouldn't be here.
The tools of our music are interesting, they do affect deeply how and what we produce, this is a "technological" music we are involved in, it goes with the territory, chopping and changing equipment, experimenting, and talking to others. We all talk a load of b******s and waffle on sometimes, but out of the soup sometimes comes really useful and interesting stuff for everyone.
Morley
Indeed!
That's why I agree with you :-)
I mean I am cocky enough to imagine that I could do good work on lesser equipment (well, I did when I started out) and have made complete tosh on some great equipment, but realistic enough to accept that good gear is central to getting music I work on to sound as good as possible.
ps: Good doesn't also mean expensive, just what I think is good. I would put a Roland DEP5 HIGH up the list of favourite reverb/FX units even though they cost bugger all.
mousegarden
I always think that good equipment, whatever that is for any of us, it should make what you do just easier, that's what I want to pay for most of the time. A great reverb, just sounds great, normally out of the box, same with things like compressors, etc, you don't have to do spend ages coaxing what you want out of them, stand in front of a great microphone and it won't work against you, it's things like this that make life easier, and it's worth spending money for, time savers to get you where you want to go quicker.
stk
hihi I've always seen gearslutz as more about "the gear, at the expense of everything else".
scozbor
fkn love cmpressoes n shit
mousegarden
stk wrote:
hihi I've always seen gearslutz as more about "the gear, at the expense of everything else".

A the moment my life "is" all about gear, I'm certainly not doing any of that music stuff.
I can't imagine a racing driver saying to his team "look, it's not about the car, I could win a Formula 1 race in a Morris Minor"
hyena
while i agree that in electronic music compression is less necessary than when recording\mixing bands, i think some quality stereo compressor would greatly improve the gelling of my drum groups (i now do this in software but could use some good outboard if i'd have the spare $$$)...
and also i can see me using it on some of my acoustic sources to shape a bit the signal (e.g.:playing bansuri or other stuff in a condenser mic...)
coolshirtdotjpg
mousegarden wrote:
stk wrote:

A the moment my life "is" all about gear, I'm certainly not doing any of that music stuff.
I can't imagine a racing driver saying to his team "look, it's not about the car, I could win a Formula 1 race in a Morris Minor"

agreed, your last few posts are a much clearer version of what I was trying to say.
mousegarden
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
mousegarden wrote:
stk wrote:

agreed, your last few posts are a much clearer version of what I was trying to say.

I don't know anything, at the moment I fee a bit like a coceptual artist, one that doesn't even need to do the work as the idea is all that's needed. I have little glimmerings of ideas, about how I can use my equipment in novel ways, but then just can't be arsed to do anything about them.
Multi Grooves
rans53 wrote:
geezers? Do you call your mother a geezer?

Nope, because she is a Doris..
Dilibob
My Rme ufx+ I view as essential, or in a wider context having a high end computer interface. I had a medium end system for a long time (protools hd Omni), but I have noticed a huge step up in my workflow going to ufx. I would also put having interface type expert sleepers modules as a must have (es3,es6,es7,es8).

I do have multiple outboard pultecs and also other high end compressors, for something like vocals I view them as essential for some mic/singer combinations - but I don't use them at all with my modular system.

[oops just realized this is an ancient thread]
Multi Grooves
stk wrote:

I swore off Gearslitz as the festering, fart sniffing, mysoginist man child cave that it is

Ooof!
naturligfunktion
mousegarden wrote:
I always think that good equipment, whatever that is for any of us, it should make what you do just easier, that's what I want to pay for most of the time. A great reverb, just sounds great, normally out of the box, same with things like compressors, etc, you don't have to do spend ages coaxing what you want out of them, stand in front of a great microphone and it won't work against you, it's things like this that make life easier, and it's worth spending money for, time savers to get you where you want to go quicker.

I second this. It is also quite fun to slowly build up the studio according to taste, nudging towards a sound that is pleasing.

For that I think it actually is essential to have a proper set of monitors. At least for me, it becomes very difficult to make music if I cannot hear what I am doing.

Second thing would be something to record on. Whether it is the computer or cassette, I do not care, but I think it is nice to every now and then record a bit smile
Multi Grooves
@naturligfunktion and everyone else actually:

What is the definition of "proper"?

£500?
£5000?
naturligfunktion
Multi Grooves wrote:
@naturligfunktion and everyone else actually:

What is the definition of "proper"?

£500?
£5000?

Excellent question! The kind that when you bounce the song, it sort of sounds like it should when you listen to it on your mates speakers.

Actually, that is the perfect monitor. I would like to have one of those..
I have KRS Rokit now. They are OK, but I think I have to look into my room more, rather than better monitors.
Todai
I'd say if your playing live the most essential is a DI box. I chose to put a Vermona TwinOut in my case - but if you want to safe the space a decent quality DI box is still a must...
shreddoggie
The reason people mention that the skill is required is because there is a strong contemporary notion that somehow one can learn something in a few minutes from watching a poo-toob vid or reading a forum post they found on their goo-hole and then (as long as they have the right gear) they are good to go with their rockstar gold record throwing TVs outa hotel windows fantasy. So tell me what gear I need so I can get on with it.

Clearly this is more prevalent over the other side, but here there are a fair share of insular knuckleheads as well. It is how it is - people who take pride in clarity like to make sure they mention that although you aren't gonna win the Indy 500 in a Morris Minor, you aint gonna win it in a Formula One either if you can't drive like a basass. Pointing this out isn't a problem.

For the analog domain I feel distortion and filtering / EQ are the most effective as opposed to their digital counterparts. Things that have these qualities to their primary effect are better OTB too i.e. BB and tape delays. I love my hardware comps and Eventide / Lexicon but if I had to make a Sophies choice it would be the former analog character stuff I'd keep.
mousegarden
Looking back on my posts sometimes it's like reading another persons posts, it's like I'm schizophrenic or at least bipolar.
But back on topic, and FX are my faourite items of gear after all, I've owned a lot, some really good stuff too, but in the past few years I've lost interest a bit, all I have now is a Lexicon MX200, and an EHX delay. I think it's because I don't put so much store on using effects to suggest ideas anymore. I'm more interested in getting sounds at source, from my synths, and the piano.
And don't worry, it is me, I did write this...

hihi
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Production Techniques Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4