MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

How many of you use a quantizer with your sequencer?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author How many of you use a quantizer with your sequencer?
jonny_w
I'm curious - as somebody who plans on building a 16 step sequencer in the next few weeks, I've never thought about a quantizer. However, after learning about what they do, I can see it being possibly useful.

I use my synthesizer mostly for drones though, so I'm on the fence about whether a quantizer is necessary.

Who uses one/doesn't use one, and what type of music do you create?
alternating.bit
I use a quantizer every time. I find it essential. True, I do more melodic things than drones, but even if I have a slower, dubby piece, I want my notes to be... notes, and not some dissonant, improper tone. But who is to say what is 'proper' or not in music and artistic expression, right?
I'm just answering your question from my point of view.
Sinamsis
I too always use a quantizer (almost). Most of the time I want my sequences to melodic and in the key of the piece. I have two uScales that I use. It makes it incredibly easy with the keyboard based layout. Very simple to use. Now if I have a more percussive sequence or I'm sequencing the cutoff frequency of a filter or something other than an oscillators pitch I often do not use them. My main sequencers are a TTA Z8000 and an MFB Urzwerg Pro mk II. The Urzwerg has a quantizer built in and theoretically you could program your pitches so they're in a scale. But I don't have that much patience.
Dave Peck
Keep in mind that a quantizer has many uses other than just making it easier to tune your sequencer notes. You can patch ANY kind of control voltage through it (LFO, envelope, sample/hold, keyboard mod wheel or aftertouch signal, etc.) and it will convert the smoothly changing control signal into some kind of note pattern.
calaveras
I use a quantizer on the output of pretty much anything that isn't coming from a keyboarded synth that would already be giving me 'noted' CV.
Sometimes I also use it with a synth's CV ou to make interesting chords/intervals from a monosynth.
Opus110
Extremely rarely. Music can be melodic without the melody being set to the tempered scale. Indian music isn't set to it, nor is a lot of African music, and that doesn't prevent them from being melodic.

Not using a quantizer doesn't make your melody out of tune or dissonant. Just means they're tuned differently.
fac
I use quantizers often, though not all the time. Have the dotcom one (plus aid) in my MU system and the doepfer one in my eurorack. I also find it essential to have a signal processor or two to scale and offset the voltages coming into the quantizers.
davebr
All of my sequencers have quantizers built in. I use them obviously all the time.

Dave
jonny_w
Appreciate the responses, guys! I'm considering adding a Barton quantizer to my setup. For $100, seems like a risk I'd be willing to take.
kingspill
I use them quite a bit. Currently using the Ladik Q-010 which I really like, a Disting, and a Brain Seed.
abelovesfun
I also use quantizers 100% of the time. The Barton ones are great. I built tow of them and am almost done with two more.
JohnLRice
I use quantizers most of the time. The Moon 569 sequencer has built in semitone quantization and i also have Modcan 55B quantizers that can do many different scales ec.

I do a variety of music and sound, mainly tonal, drone and noise.
Tronman
I always use my quantizer. It just makes life easier.
Mongo1
You can do some really nice things with quantizers. I use them constantly.
Here's an idea for you. Get a multichannel quant, and put a voltage processor in front of it. Run one control voltage into two channels of the processor, and run the outputs of those to the quant. When the CV changes (maybe a slow random voltage), the processors produce two voltages. One maybe higher than the other, or maybe the gain is different on them. When the quants get a hold of those voltages, you start getting really nice harmonies. If one of the processors has a glide on it, it gets even more interesting. If you do this correctly it can sound very much like live musicians playing off each other.

So yes - you need quantizers.

Gary
ETP
playing within a scale using any cv is great fun. love my quantizer
chamomileshark
my sequencer has both quantised and unquantised outputs. I tend to use the quantised one more.
Mongo1
Here's a little thing I did using 2 quants. One is basically being driven by a triangle wave. The other is using the same wave added to a sequencer. Quantize both, and add a glide to one of them.

Lots of options...

Gary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab3nK1CmRBY
Adminius
I have the Doepfer A-156 Dual Quantizer and use it in most of my patches.

I'll be getting a TipTop Z8000 Matrix Sequencer in the very near future, and will be looking for another quantizer shortly afterwards; probably the Toppobrillo Quantimator or possibly the Intellijel uScale II.

For my musical style, a quantizer (or three) is essential.
Mort Rouge
Never. It is one of my creeds.
mhtones
Most of the time here. However, not when I'm using an oscillator that may not track well over a large range (if I'm going for "in tune").
PrimateSynthesis
Many quantizers are voltage controllable, allowing you to change from chromatic, to various scales, modes, and chords. So even if you interested in making non-melodic sounds by detuning farther down the patch, or using it to control things other than VCO's, it will allow you to get a number of different sequences from one sequencer setting.

Also, the bit-depth of the quantizer effects the sound. It's one of the reasons why many synths with built-in quantizers from the early 80's sound different than clones of their VCO's.
eole
I don't use a quantizer yet (mainly because i don't own any hihi ) but I think about it... One day, maybe smile
FetidEye
there is a lot of stuff you can sequence that does not need a quantizer
filters / fx / fm stuff / volume
so i sometimes use a quantizer, for when i want notes.

you can also tune to your ear. there are a lot of frequencies out there, why only use the ones that are on a keyboard scale??
calaveras
sometimes I just use a quantizer as an interesting way to break up a periodic waveform into somethign more steppy.
As was said above quantized CV doesn't have to be modulating an osc. It can just as well work for PW or filter cutoff.
Sounds kind of cool to use voice 1's quantized CV to modulate the PW of Voice 2 and vice versa. Makes them sound more like they are counterparts that way.
J3RK
I used to use the ones in my MiniWave many years ago. Since then, if I want "notes" I use my controller. Otherwise, I do not quantize. I find that there is a time and place for both (with and without).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2