MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

JH Frequency Shifter
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author JH Frequency Shifter
Muff Wiggler
holy freakin' HELL eek!

this looks like the greatest FS design ever... looks like it smokes the Moog/Bode

anyone building one????? hyper
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
holy freakin' HELL eek!

this looks like the greatest FS design ever... looks like it smokes the Moog/Bode

anyone building one????? hyper

can you link me? i would like a freq shift but don't want to spend Encore prices.
Muff Wiggler
http://www.jhaible.heim.at/fs1a/fs1a.html

there's a guy on the AH lists who is selling component kits, everything except front panel parts (pots, jacks etc)

the kit price is like $200 or $300 i think

damn i want one but I can't handle this big of a build at all :(
Muff Wiggler
btw, on topic, i've always always wondered...

has anyone designed a FS with a switchable log/lin response?

I know the Bode design is a log response, meaning harmonic content maintans its relationship through shifting

and the Encore design has a linear response, meaning harmonic content doesn't.

I see both as desirable effects and would really like a FS with a selectable response
Kwote
wow. 200 maybe. 300 hmm.
wetterberg
I must admit that thing sounds fucking AWESOME!

The build looks pretty straight forward, too? Loads of resistor groups and IC sockets, nothing out of the ordinary, right? It's two big boards, but two big boards of relatively simple stuff.
parasitk
Wow this sounds very, very cool!
Kwote
well there's no doubt i'm up for it. but the effin cost. still better than spending 400 on the Encore though.

but where will the funds come from this time? eek!

http://hallgeir.no/hmt/fs-1/fx-demo-fs-stereo.mp3

eek!

i found the thread for buying the kit:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28049.html

looks like it'll be a little over 200 bucks usd. after a custom panel from FPE probably close to 300. but then with jacks, pots, etc. getting a lot closer to the Encore price. but it does have linear & exponential and Jurgen does provide a full BOM so i'm guessing grabbing parts on your own could shave the price down. i might do an estimate soon.

i need a sponsor. is Coca-Cola lookin for prospects?
Cat-A-Tonic
Thanks for the heads up on that parts kit.
I have the PCB set, but had yet to order any parts to fill it up yet.
I am still dreading ordering parts for something without a kit from mouser or some place for fear of getting the wrong thing, but then again I would probably save a ton of cash by buying common parts in bulk though.

I figure I will do a few of the easier projects in front of me first.
The calibration is apparently the tricky bit, but I have had to do a few minor calibrations on the Blacets so I am sure it is doable.
I think it has to be hooked up to a scope though; probably a freeware version on the PC will be fine.

The JH Freq. Shifter is legendary. I never thought it would be available to DIY. I am so stoked!
I passed on a chance to buy a used Bode for around $600 before I had any other modules. d'oh!
Then I long considered the Encore with its digital quadrature oscillator.
BUT now that I can build this!!!! Mr. Green
consumed
ive tackled/will tackle other JH designs before/aft, but this one i wont. its no trivial task to calibrate this thing and you cant really wing it and make it sound good.
Kwote
consumed wrote:
ive tackled/will tackle other JH designs before/aft, but this one i wont. its no trivial task to calibrate this thing and you cant really wing it and make it sound good.

i'd say it's worth the effort even if it takes months, but again the price sorta fucks me up. but that's only because i've already got an overflowing plate.
thermionicjunky
To answer Muff's question, the Modcan has an exponential/linear switch.
Luka
i have had the fs-1 board for a while now, along with the triple chorus, tau phaser and krautrock phaser.

the genius thing about the fs-1 parts kit is that all the components are measured against that calculation spreadsheet and ready to chuck in. it would be a lot cheaper to buy the components in bulk and sift through and measure yourself, but a hell of a process. i kinda almost think ill buy a kit.

once i have payed off my mb808 componetns and build some stuff for people im going to think about this. on one side this would make the build a lot quicker, however buying all the components in bulk to sift through would leave a lot of extras which would likely fit into my remaining backlog. hmm

backlog is getting so outa control aswell.
Muff Wiggler
thermionicjunky wrote:
To answer Muff's question, the Modcan has an exponential/linear switch.

thanks! very cool

had to be modcan huh d'oh! just what I need to hear right now hihi
Roycie Roller
Nevermind! Modcan is THE logistical next step after Wiard. Cv Recorder, Frequency Shifter, Quad Lfo.....smile
Muff Wiggler
Shhhh! oops

stop it! hihi
neandrewthal
I've got the boards. It's funny how filling out the order form is like signing a waiver. I,(insert name here) by purchasing this PCB set affirm that I am a wicked awesum builder and have all the shit I need(scope etc.) and even that doesn't guarantee a successful build.

Anyways, I lied. Just didn't want to miss out on the opportunity and I'll build it when I'm ready.
Kwote
d'oh! i forgot to check the price of the pcb's.

order info in this thread:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-18587-250.html

54 EUR = 84 USD before shipping which i think is 8 EUR

goddman. by the time i spend on everything i might as well grab the Encore. oh well. fuck it. f u

Kwote wrote:
well there's no doubt i'm up for it. but the effin cost. still better than spending 400 on the Encore though.

but where will the funds come from this time? eek!

http://hallgeir.no/hmt/fs-1/fx-demo-fs-stereo.mp3

eek!

i found the thread for buying the kit:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-28049.html

looks like it'll be a little over 200 bucks usd. after a custom panel from FPE probably close to 300. but then with jacks, pots, etc. getting a lot closer to the Encore price. but it does have linear & exponential and Jurgen does provide a full BOM so i'm guessing grabbing parts on your own could shave the price down. i might do an estimate soon.

i need a sponsor. is Coca-Cola lookin for prospects?
krisp14u
I have 2 sets on there way to being finished need to crack on with this

I’m not looking forwards to setting them up but I am sure I will get there in the end help

I’m having a go at all Jürgen Haible’s designs as I think the guy is a master at analogue circuit design I can’t wait for his Vokoder to come to my door
futuresoundsystems
Paul, you are officially mad. lol Tell us how it goes, I've always been intrigued by Frequency Shifters.
krisp14u
futuresoundsystems wrote:
Paul, you are officially mad. lol .

Yes that’s right

Mad with a big fook off modular SlayerBadger!

It’s a pity my house isn’t big enough to fit all I want to build in to it (time to extend the house) hyper

Yes it’s happening I’m getting a new work room studio twisted that’s mad twisted

Right time to match some caps to resistors
Luka
hey is it possible to write some notes on your progress. im curious over the build and calibration process of this module. ive read over it a tonne on jurgen's page but having some hearing how some real people attach this would be most awesome.
krisp14u
Luka wrote:
hey is it possible to write some notes on your progress. im curious over the build and calibration process of this module. ive read over it a tonne on jurgen's page but having some hearing how some real people attach this would be most awesome.

Yes no problem Luka
It may be some time before I get round to finishing and calibrating the FS-1A but I will keep you updated
futuresoundsystems
krisp14u wrote:
It’s a pity my house isn’t big enough to fit all I want to build in to it (time to extend the house) hyper
Yes it’s happening I’m getting a new work room studio twisted that’s mad twisted

You should set yourself a goal of beating Mr. Zimmer.
Chuck E. Jesus
the part about dual trace scopes and whatnot pretty much leaves me with my measly Doepfer freq shifter...but the clips i heard in the past were smoooooth....
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 1