MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Does anyone use Propellerheads Reason?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author Does anyone use Propellerheads Reason?
robojam
I have had Reason for a long time and have been meaning to get round to learning more about controlling synths with CV and how to use it to patch various instruments.

Anyone had any experience of doing this or thoughts on approach? Which instruments best lend themselves to this and where should I start?
Luap
I use it regularly. Which version do you have? Although with regards to CV patching, every version works the same regardless.
If you have used any old analog/modular gear, then the principles are much the same.

So, just like many synths have say a CV input for filter cutoff for example. You could take the LFO output from some other device and patch it to that filter CV input.

Also, if you load up any synth and then load up say, an RPG8 or Matrix device, you'll notice that Reason auto patches them together. So flip the rack around and see how its done, and maybe experiment a bit smile
elk_wolf_+sun
Stopped using Reason last year (as I am not enthralled with the direction which Propellerhead is taking...), but prior to that it was my music software of choice for 8 years.

One of the best things about Reason is that fact that the entire program is basically a semi-modular playground. If you're feeling a bit boggled by the whole CV routing thing then just check out some tutorials on Youtube (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=reason+cv+tutorial), and from there just start experimenting.

If you have any more Reason specific questions I'd advise to head over to Reason Talk. After Propellerhead shut down the user forum (and all the information that was contained in it...) most of the community relocated there.
drschr
I've been using Reason for quite a time now but only as a sketchbook. Works pretty well for me, especially when I'm not at home; just open my laptop and PEW, instant "analog" action!
the tone ranger
i love Reason, it's my main music software. I think the best place to start is with the Subtractor synth as it's got plenty of CV options on the back panel, and it's easy to use. Start connecting matrix sequencers (curve output) to various CV inputs, experiment and see what happens. Also explore what the combinator can do. It gives you access to modulate even more parameters that don't have a CV in on the back panel of the instrument.

Risto Esquina
Because CV in Reason works a bit like a platonic ideal of CV rather than the real world version there are some neat tricks that can be used by combining multiple utilities. In Euclid, for example, two instances of the RE can be sequentially chained so that the second one's output is altering not just the predictable features like gate length or swing, but more esoteric ones like the density function. With that feature rolls and fills can be inserted into an otherwise simple and straightforward sequence.
sysexstudio
I've been using Reason since ver 1. Wonderful app and it's come a long way.
It's how I first was introduced to CV and Gate signals (albeit virtually). It also meshes very nicely with your modular.

There's tons of cool third party rack extensions now too. But the included devices are plenty good. The Silent Way Voice Controller RE might be of interest to you if you plan on merging your Reason sequencers with your modular. Just need a DC-Coupled interface and amplification of the signals in some cases.

Also, you can convert the virtual CV signals to audio, and use any of the LFOs or Envelopes available in the real world. If you have eurorack, there's the Expert Sleepers modules like the ES-3 that work very well.
beyourdog
I used it for some time years ago...., must have been the version 1 or 2, I guess in 2001, I was floored that a software like that existed...

At the time there were really few modular companies (ASis, Doepfer...when did dotcom arrived ? and for some time we did not even thought dotcom was a real company...) and it was great to see a modular synth software (for free...cracked version), vintage analog synths were still quite cheap and not much existed in terms of patchable stuff...at the time...

I really enjoyed playing with it, just because of the fun, patching possibilities, sound was quite good, I liked playing with the kind of EMU sampler there was in, using external mellotron or any samples I had and play them with the EMU filter and envelops.

This Reason software is really fun on a plane or on a long train ride, patching is really fun...
bugaev_
first post/ nice interface but weird sound. sorry for this stupid post but i need to get into buy/sell section of the forum meh
Doglien
I've been using Reason since version 2... Many years ago, I had to sell off all my hardware to pay the mortgage and picked up a copy so I could continue to write: best decision of my musical life.

With the advent of audio recording and rack extensions in recent versions, it's an astonishingly powerful tool: I regularly clock my modular from it or just record audio directly in for use in a track.

The aspect of it that appealed to me most originally was the "modular" infrastructure and that it worked (virtually) like my beloved hardware. What's been interesting since I got into modular, is that I now approach patching in Reason in a more extensive and interesting way.

All the tracks on my soundcloud page are composed in Reason and most have modular embellishments wink

This is the latest:

[s]https://soundcloud.com/dr-perceptron/husk-0[/s]
Dafreeze
i use reason since version 3 and still my favorite daw. its one of the reasons that i got intressted in modular hihi
know i'm thinking of getting a es3 to let it talk with my modular
can i just take an lfo from example thor and send it to my modular with the es rack extension? whats the easiest way to get a clock from reason into my modular with an es3?
Doglien
Dafreeze wrote:
i use reason since version 3 and still my favorite daw. its one of the reasons that i got intressted in modular hihi
know i'm thinking of getting a es3 to let it talk with my modular
can i just take an lfo from example thor and send it to my modular with the es rack extension? whats the easiest way to get a clock from reason into my modular with an es3?

You don't need an es3 to get a clock into your modular from Reason: if you have a midi interface on your modular you can send midi clock and gate signals via whatever midi controller keyboard you're using.
Gribs
I bought Reason 7 with balance (actually it was 6 with free upgrade to 7) in a box when they were being cleared out by Sweetwater. I wanted a small audio interface for my laptop and it was good timing.

I like the fact that a rack is essentially a software modular synth and there are many small devs making RE's that are like modules you can use to put together to build a patch. Some of Propellerheads own extensions and some by their devs sound really good. I like the fact that you can try everything before you buy - really good policy. Also the DSP programming seems to be very efficient.

What I do not like is the interface. Objects, widgets, and text displays are small and relatively low resolution. I was hoping that Reason 8 would fix that as there was much talk regarding upgrading the user interface. However the graphics were not really changed. So I have not upgraded and sort of forgotten about Reason for a while.

Maybe next year...
dude
not these days. too proprietary when i did years ago.
Sandrine
Yeh I kinda stopped using it as a stand alone, never liked the sequencer (piano roll i mean) Now I use it's synths/NNXT/Matrix and samplers via ReWire from FL Studio. much nicer!
noisejockey
Long time user here, too (v2) but always more as a sound source and instrument than a pseudo-DAW. It took a few modularesque extensions, like those from Ochen, to really open up the possibilities of high weirdness, though. Handy sketchbook or sound/sequence design tool on the ol' MacBook Air. Some samples from it still work their way into songs from time to time, often weird digital textures or drum sound design.

It really did help me grok the basics of CV, and in that way it was a gateway drug/sanity check for actual modular, which eased the learning curve for the very basics of modular synthesis and modulation.
Dafreeze
I received my es 3 this week and i must say its awesome,
very easy to set up and now i can finaly sequence from reason, and send lfo's , and envelopes,.. via thor to the es3 we're not worthy we're not worthy we're not worthy
midiguru
Nothing substantive to add to the discussion ... but I'm a long-time Reason user with RE junkie tendencies. The sequencer is far from perfect, but it's adequate. The modular patching possibilities are beyond awesome, especially if you add a few of the CV processing RE's. The built-in synths are, frankly, not as good as some of the newer VSTi's, but RE's such as Revival, Antidote, and Vecto (brand new from Rob Papen) kick ass.

I'm still waiting for someone to design a really good step sequencer for Reason. I've thought about doing it myself -- something modeled on the Serge TKB -- but it would be a lot of work.
mwvm
i'm on reason 4 but i've not bothered installing it on a new laptop.

is an upgrade to 9 worth it?
ersatzplanet
mwvm wrote:

From Reason 4, it is well worth the update price. It will seem like a completely different program to you though so be prepared.
the tone ranger
mwvm wrote:

Yes but some people find the new mixer window too complicated. Can you handle 3 different screens?
Kirk Markarian
Yep, love it. Any music I hear, I can compose it with Reason. Not that I want to compose new-classical, but it does work well. I currently compose solely electronic music of various kinds for my clients in Reason, and it never fails to satisfy. Works great for me! Especially for odd sounds and anything electronic - save recording your acoustic instruments for a recording DAW.
Yodhan
I have been using Reason since the first version came out. If you can manage a hardware mixing board, the new SSL emulated one should be fine. I like it. I've used a lot of other stuff. Always go back to this one.
weekdayworrier
Used to use it but quit around version 4 or 5 I think. I had actually been thinking of jumping back in and upgrading to 9. This thread may just be the push I need!
Doglien
weekdayworrier wrote:
Used to use it but quit around version 4 or 5 I think. I had actually been thinking of jumping back in and upgrading to 9. This thread may just be the push I need!

I'm surprised more people on this forum aren't Reason fans... It is essentially modular in nature and allows you to connect between devices with impunity wink

When I made the decision to ditch hardware all those years ago (a combination of circumstances job / money / mortgage related), I was tremendously fearful; but I learned to love Reason almost immediately and have never regretted that decision.

The only hardware I have now is modular and any "traditional" sound in my stuff comes from Reason.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 1 of 3