MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Videos of people patching from scratch?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Author Videos of people patching from scratch?
wminor
Can anyone recommend any good videos of people patching from scratch?

I'm as interested in the thought process people go though and the way they approach patching as I am in the details of the patch they end up with. Feels like I could be more deliberate about my patching process sometimes.
flx
I sometimes record videos like that ... although it has been a while and I should really do more.

Here's the thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120273&highlight=
aen
I've got one "waiting in the wings" on youtube, but it's a dead simple patch, meant for beginners.

I would also be interested in seeing some start-to-finish video.

flx wrote:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120273&highlight=

Dude. Yes.
Dcramer
I also do some pretty detailed patch explanations This is fun! some are just little techniques that can be used anywhere but some are fully generative spaghetti monsters complete with patching charts w00t check em out thumbs up
General_Dimi
And if you're not into their videos, I've been working on my own patching as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBTFjASrnnM
JohnLRice
I made one once . . .but I wouldn't call it "good" oops

David's (Kindredlost) has a better one:
vgermuse
Here is one on a Serge

Here on a Buchla

AlanP

Skip to 12:30 or so. It's quite good, he talks about the process as he does it.
wminor
Awesome - loads to watch! nanners

Thanks a lot folks!
eole
Never thought about it.
It's a good idea.

thumbs up
The Junglechrist
I take the liberty to dig out this old topic as we started to make some videos of patching with a friend recently. I guess it might be of some interrest to some people here :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-spjnfR3imr7pAJH7q8iqgj85-u1gh Gw

Some of the last we did as an exemple :

frated
Very useful. Thanks!
nickgrys
Studio Time with Junkie XL has some really interesting videos patching on a huge 5U rig.

moremagic
nickgrys wrote:
Studio Time with Junkie XL has some really interesting videos patching on a huge 5U rig.

i always patch from scratch and the thought of unplugging all my cables from a whole wall like that is the main thing thats kept me confined to 2x104HP in euro. just looking at it makes me feel a twinge of dread lol
The Junglechrist
Here is a funny one I just found on an Easel :

Fastus
Always thought the best approach would be AFTER developing a great complex patch, total spaghetti dinner, you'd shoot a video dismantling that patch, then play in reverse - would look like genius revealed.
cptnal
Modular pr0n! Enjoy the show!
mrtweed
The Junglechrist
Hey there, we have a new one online at Wired Brain :

JohnLRice
Fastus wrote:
Always thought the best approach would be AFTER developing a great complex patch, total spaghetti dinner, you'd shoot a video dismantling that patch, then play in reverse - would look like genius revealed.
thumbs up Good idea! cool
JakoGreyshire
My meager 0-coast krell patch from scratch.. I formatted the video incorrectly... Looks kind of funny.. No verbal descriptions... I like my take on the 0-coast krell patch though.......

cptnal
JakoGreyshire wrote:
My meager 0-coast krell patch from scratch.. I formatted the video incorrectly... Looks kind of funny.. No verbal descriptions... I like my take on the 0-coast krell patch though.......

thumbs up

0-Coast looks like a lot of fun. I sometimes wonder what life would be like now if I'd started with one. And sometimes I don't. No regrets. This is fun!
dooj88
i'm sure vendors have no free time as it is, but a patch from scratch video for new/deeper modules would be a fun promotional tool for sellers and buyers. plus we like hearing from you Hug

divkid does this kind of thing in his videos, and it's great.. though not quite to the level of detail we're talking about in this thread.

but something about seeing the thought process behind someone else's patching flow always sets off new lightbulbs and spins off new ideas to try
dooj88
dupe
cptnal
Seconded - nothing like hearing it in action.

Rubadub have done this for a few modules (Pam's, BIA).
evolve
Here's one I did for a livestream. Later in the stream I did some video art as well while the pedals droned on!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsFDSIw38VE
cptnal
evolve wrote:
Here's one I did for a livestream. Later in the stream I did some video art as well while the pedals droned on!

I just came home from the pub so I'm not sure. Is it supposed to look like that? Cool tunes though. thumbs up
The Junglechrist
There is a new Patch From Scratch online for those who are interrested ;-)

evolve
cptnal wrote:
evolve wrote:

I just came home from the pub so I'm not sure. Is it supposed to look like that? Cool tunes though. thumbs up

Yes it is! I suppose it makes it a bit difficult to see how I'm patching. I ran the video through an old camcorder, some video processing gear and then captured for the stream.
JakoGreyshire
evolve wrote:
cptnal wrote:
evolve wrote:

Yes it is! I suppose it makes it a bit difficult to see how I'm patching. I ran the video through an old camcorder, some video processing gear and then captured for the stream.

@evolve I like your video! The video looks cool and has some good music in it. However, the OP was looking to be able to decipher the thought process from watching the artist do the patching. I for one have many questions about what you were doing to your patch... I'm guessing there was a sampler module in the beginning that you expanded upon? And everything else??? Great patch anyway...

I don't know how I would feel making an extended jam "patch from scratch" type video though... I guess I could plan it out and do it... But if I plan it out and then have to un-patch it to then show the patching while recording... Or a Patch from scratch video showing a specific trick I discovered. I guess that would be better...

seriously, i just don't get it

Most of my videos start from me experimenting a bit and finding something cool. Then planning out a mini jam.. Then Hitting Record on the camera and hope it wiggles into something cool...

This gets me thinking about how to do it, really....
Obviously to master your instrument and then you could just think and patch at the same time and Jam out something cool every time.. Seems like evolve is doing it this way...
Even Colin Benders will patch something live and then say that he didn't like it.... Then he changes it and jams out.. But I think he has mastered his system to a certain level to be able to do that... I've got too many new modules and not enough time wiggling to get there just yet.

So, What is everyone's thoughts about this? Is making a patch from scratch video something that is a natural thing to do at a certain point in evolution of your modular maturity? How did you decide to make a patch from scratch video? JungleChrist, any thoughts here?

I made my video of the Krell patch with the 0-Coast because I saw a bunch of 0-Coast Krell patches online and I kept seeing people do stupid patches. Like patching something that was already normalized. Or I could tell that one patch cable in their patch was not doing anything( patching an out to another out, or an input to another input).. It started to annoy me that people weren't checking their work and/or wiggling the patch obviously trying to figure it out. IMO I don't want to watch someone try to figure out a patch. Do that on your own time and present something you already know! Watching someone twist knobs and it's not doing anything and in my head I'm thinking, "NO wiggle that other knob, Please!! So, I decided to make a video that somewhat showed the thought process and, in my video you can see and hear the changes.. Then I went back and unplugged certain cables to double check how it affected the patch. Not really ground breaking... I mean it's a krell patch on an 0-Coast.... Everyone's done a krell as soon as they get an 0-Coast. But I never saw anyone max out the patch points like I was doing... Really thinking about what was going on.... That's why I made my 0-Coast Krell patch...

It's got to be hard to make a complicated robust patch in a small amount of time, unless you have it all planned out and practiced.. Or just a big video, one or two hours of someone patching a big, awesome patch... In Dcramers' case it would probably be a 18 hour nonstop video that would take me two days to watch once and a week more to watch several times over!! AWESOME patches! I think he takes quite a while to make those epic patches(a week or two) but taking breaks to eat, sleep, and stuff...

I admit that I would watch Mr. Benders do big patches... I would watch Dcramer do big patches... Would anyone want to watch me do it? I doubt it... Maybe a handful of people would watch... It would be kind of cool to interact with the viewers and take patching suggestions from them....

Funny enough, as I type this I'm watching someone Patch from scratch showing some very knowledgeable modular skills... He's a new youtuber for me, and in general, but someone mentioned him on another thread here on Muffs... I think it's well suited for this thread.. Actually these are his first three tutorials... and he only has four videos total.. So, he's definitely my kind of modular youtuber. I think we need more youtubers that make videos for people that already know modular.

[Ranting] Stop explaining the modules to me, just show me the patch already!![/Ranting] you kids get off my lawn

P.S. there are some example links in my writings above.. I'm not trying to slam on anyone... Just showing examples.. Honestly I've made a pact with myself: I can't speak bad or poorly of anyone else unless I can do better and have done so. Even then it's not nice to talk shit. I just smile and wonder.. But maybe talking shit would encourage the other person to try and do better? I don't want to put anyone down that's for sure. I'd rather lift them up! If I really didn't care I wouldn't say anything..

I really like this guy, Dinko Klobucar... The perfect youtuber for me right now.. Lets get deep into modular and sound design theories! Yeay!!

It's peanut butter jelly time! we're not worthy

The Junglechrist
Quote:
So, What is everyone's thoughts about this? Is making a patch from scratch video something that is a natural thing to do at a certain point in evolution of your modular maturity? How did you decide to make a patch from scratch video? JungleChrist, any thoughts here?

Hey there JakoGreyshire : To me the idea came by watching videos by Todd Barton where he just play stuff on his eurorack / buchla / serge without trying to explain it at all. I liked most of those but the two things that I didn't liked were : it doesn't sound very good because he use his camera microphone; and also the fact that there is no infos about the patchs / you don't see him patch (most of the time).

I think watching someone patch is were you get the most idea because you can think "what if you that with this module I own", or "I never thought patching this that way" ect. And for me it is a good exercise, trying to make something "listenable" as single sound / timbre in a short period of time.

So at some point I thought I should just do it myself and see if it was on any interrest to people. [/b]
The Junglechrist
Ugly double post Bug !
cptnal
JakoGreyshire wrote:
I think we need more youtubers that make videos for people that already know modular.

I like this idea. This is fun!

Junglechrist's videos are a good example - there's the basic assumption that you already know your way around the rack and what's going on. The interesting part is how the elements are combined.

And I'm enjoying Dinko Klobucar's stuff too. Let's hope we see more from him. applause
flx
JakoGreyshire wrote:

Most of my videos start from me experimenting a bit and finding something cool. Then Hitting Record on the camera and hope it wiggles into something cool...

Same here. I've got loads of those post-patch jam sessions.

JakoGreyshire wrote:

So, What is everyone's thoughts about this? Is making a patch from scratch video something that is a natural thing to do at a certain point in evolution of your modular maturity? How did you decide to make a patch from scratch video?

I just wanted to try it. My other demo videos are usually scripted and edited, while I want to do patch from scratch videos live and improvised. Having to speak and patch at the same time is a challenge!

JakoGreyshire wrote:
Stop explaining the modules to me, just show me the patch already!!

I do like the talking, if I see a patch from scratch video without a voiceover explanation, I'm lost as I won't know half of the modules and then it's just too boring in my opinion trying to follow along while a patch is built so slowly. I don't need in depth discussion, but a brief overview of what the module does and why it's used.

JakoGreyshire wrote:

present something you already know! Watching someone twist knobs and it's not doing anything and in my head I'm thinking, "NO wiggle that other knob, Please!!

I get that, however I also like more spontaneous videos. It's sometimes charming and even funny seeing people backpedal or missing something obvious.

JakoGreyshire wrote:

it would probably be a 18 hour nonstop video that would take me two days to watch once

I don't like the super long modular videos and my YouTube stats tell me that many people are like this. 10 Minutes is already really long and I try to keep things shorter. It'S difficult for a Patch from Scratch video though, so I set myself 25 minutes as a maximum.

JakoGreyshire wrote:

I think we need more youtubers that make videos for people that already know modular.

That would be cool, but I'm not sure if you'd reach many people with something like this.

And last but not least I made a patch from scratch video today to try it out again after three years(?!). This time with my new Snazzy FX system, which I'm still learning. So ... I don't know, maybe it's interesting, maybe not ... I'll keep practicing though. It was fun. Mr. Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIG3wbch3ug&index=11&list=PLa9Em_H8Xs_ b2zcSwXT3ZHS4q_2oWKTOA
JakoGreyshire
flx wrote:

JakoGreyshire wrote:
Stop explaining the modules to me, just show me the patch already!!

I do like the talking, if I see a patch from scratch video without a voiceover explanation, I'm lost as I won't know half of the modules and then it's just too boring in my opinion trying to follow along while a patch is built so slowly. I don't need in depth discussion, but a brief overview of what the module does and why it's used.

I like talking too, but not explaining stuff that takes forever.. A nice balance of the two... Like, I don't need someone telling me what a Quantizer does or what Resonance is. Stuff like that...

flx wrote:

JakoGreyshire wrote:

it would probably be a 18 hour nonstop video that would take me two days to watch once

I don't like the super long modular videos and my YouTube stats tell me that many people are like this. 10 Minutes is already really long and I try to keep things shorter. It'S difficult for a Patch from Scratch video though, so I set myself 25 minutes as a maximum.

Here I was complimenting Dcramers' patches... I think I've even told him that it would be super cool to watch him make a patch.. They are super intelligent. That's why the patches take him a while to create.. I don't like super long patching videos either, but if Dcramer made one I would totally watch it no matter how long it may be!!

flx wrote:

JakoGreyshire wrote:

That would be cool, but I'm not sure if you'd reach many people with something like this.

Honestly, I'm not trying to reach people. My youtube channel has become my own journal entries that are open for people to find if they want to. However I do post my videos here in the "your tunes here" subforum. I don't get a lot of views by doing this though.. 35 people view my post and 10 people watch my video. (I'm starting to think that there are some OCD people out there that just HAVE TO click on any post with an orange marker on it to clear the orange out! Ha Ha! just kidding.. Maybe though?) It really is for me to look back on and go "wow, I did something there, cool." and, " wow, look how I have evoled over time and my setup has changed, cool."
I think I have 28 subscribers. I'm okay with that. I think that there are a lot of lurkers out there that would really like a youtuber that assumed people know modular already... It could be a video extension of this forum in a way.. Modular people talking to modular people... Beginners would find what they needed elsewhere and then eventually come back to watch a video that they didn't understand the first time they watched it.. I do that with DivKid's Modular Podcast videos.. I still do it with those.. Every time I watch them I remember or learn something new/cool... I will probably watch them a few time more even...

I guess there is only one or two ways to find out if there would be a big audience for advanced modular talks...
1.) Try it myself..
2.)Or watch someone else do it...Follow Dinko Klobucar and see how many subscribers he gets over a period of time.. If you read through his comments on youtube they are all very excited people loving his videos...

Felix, I do like your new patch from scratch #5 video. Good job! Nice balance with everything!

Your right, it is charming to see someone kind of make a small mistake and back step a little bit and then fix it right away... Very genuine nature. Mistakes are cool because you can see the thought process taking place in the video... It's not so much fun when the thought process has a hard time figuring out what went wrong and the same knob gets wiggled over and over trying to fix it...

I look forward to watching more of your excellent videos.. And thank you for all your other awesome videos I have already watched!

thumbs up
flx
JakoGreyshire wrote:

Honestly, I'm not trying to reach people. My youtube channel has become my own journal entries that are open for people to find if they want to.

That's how I started my channel as well in 2011. I wanted to hear and see(!) my setup change. I was a total newbie back then, starting with a MicroKorg and two old Grooveboxes, diving deeper and deeper into synth hardware. There weren't many tutorials/demos on YouTube, so whenever I figured something out (usually by reading manuals over and over) I'd make a video. So I kind of got into that "videos for beginners" thing. Honestly, I don't even know how I would approach making "advanced videos", apart from leaving out some basic information I'd expect everyone to know. I hardly think about technique when patching and things just naturally and slowly evolve with me, without big epiphanies. Or maybe I never got out of that newbie stage lol

JakoGreyshire wrote:

It really is for me to look back on and go "wow, I did something there, cool." and, " wow, look how I have evoled over time and my setup has changed, cool."

Yes, this is really fun! Also "wow, look at how fit and sporty I looked back then" woah

JakoGreyshire wrote:

I guess there is only one or two ways to find out if there would be a big audience for advanced modular talks...
1.) Try it myself..

Yes, please do thumbs up
missingtwin
Great vid flx!

Perfect combo of voice and sound.
Neat snazzy modules too, never really seen them in action before.

I also like a voice track to help follow what is going on. Flx did a great job here of giving me the gist of these unfamiliar modules and moving on.
Estes
nice one got a lot of ideas! I hope this thread grows with new content.
The Junglechrist
There is a new Patch From Scratch video on our channel. This is one of my favorite patch using the Verbos Harmonic Oscillator and Voltage Multistage with Quadra to create a drum pattern using only the harmonics VCAs :

dkcg
A little old, thought I'd share. My Buchla is a lot different now, no TetraMaps for one.

The Junglechrist
This week we go for short one exploring the gritty tonal palet of the 0-Coast :

The Junglechrist
New Patch from Scratch from yesterday using my small live system :

Modulargrid of the system used : https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/593305
The Junglechrist
Hello everyone ! We have a new Patch From Scratch online here at Wired Brain :

JakoGreyshire
Nice one..... So, how is the ecophon making the harmony? ... Oh.. did you pre-tune the echophon before you started and then had the pressure points transpose it... I think I see now... I had to watch it a few times.... Nice patch!

Been thinking about an echophon for a while now... read a thread where people really didn't like it all that much... they said it starts to sound the same quite often...

So can you share with us how you make these? Do you think of a certain type of melodic patch or do you just mess around and come up with something... Then you plan out your moves and then turn the camera on?
The Junglechrist
JakoGreyshire wrote:

So can you share with us how you make these? Do you think of a certain type of melodic patch or do you just mess around and come up with something... Then you plan out your moves and then turn the camera on?

Yes you are right I did prepare the Pressur Points settings before we shoot the video, we usualy don't prepare this way but we needed to shoot this video in a hurry so we did.

So the easy way to do this I think is to patch your VCO straight to the echophon with no pitch shifting first, then connect one row of the pressure point to the pitch CV input that has an attenuverter and turn in CCW so you will go only to negative pitch (It sound better to me but it is a matter of taste I guess). From here you just have to find the harmony you like with the pressure points knobs. It might take a while but once it is setted up it is very fun to play and can lead to beautifull results.

JakoGreyshire
Got it... thumbs up thumbs up

Yeah, knobs settings.... It would be nice to have a static camera positioned right above the Modular but, I know that is not easy to do to get a real good overview of the modules... I don't enjoy patching my modular with the camera in between me and the synth... I do it sometimes though... It's weird..

Thanks for the info....I'm thinking about getting the echophon again... meh
The Junglechrist
JakoGreyshire wrote:

Thanks for the info....I'm thinking about getting the echophon again... meh

You're welcome sir ;-)

About the Echophon it is getting cheap and even tho it is not a "hi-fi" delay it is definitly a funny thing to use and can do a LOT.
The Junglechrist
New Patch from Scratch online today :

The Junglechrist
It''s been awhile that I havn't posted anything here so here I come with some of our last videos of patching from scratch :

The Junglechrist
Woop woop here is the new Patch From Scratch from yesterday :

orangehexagon
General_Dimi wrote:
And if you're not into their videos, I've been working on my own patching as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBTFjASrnnM

lol
The Junglechrist
New video online with some Moog this time :

The Junglechrist
New Patch From Scratch with the 0-Coast and friends (Wogglebug & René) :

The Junglechrist
Hey there ! There is a new Patch from Scratch online, first experiment with the new Multi-Delay Processor from Verbos Electronics :

Patch :
The Junglechrist
New video online with the mighty crazy Mutli-Delay Processor :

The Junglechrist
Hello everyone, here are the two last of our Patch From Scratch serie, both using the 0-Coast and a Verbos Touchplate Keyboard as an emulation of the classic Buchla Music Easel :

The Junglechrist
New Patch from Scratch online ! Fun things with the Tempi, some Thru Zero Fm from the Rubicon and weirdo harmonizing with the Echophon on the menu :

The Junglechrist
Hello everyone ! Here we go again with this Moog vs Make Noise Patch From Scratch :

leonvanbokhorst
Dinko's latest is pretty good. thumbs up

The Junglechrist
Hey there ! Here is last Patch From Scratch from last week that I forgot to share over here, it's ou "Happy Birthday Make Noise" patch :

The Junglechrist
Here we go for another one with filters everywhere !

The Junglechrist
Hey there ! New Patch From Scratch online, back on the 0-Coast for a classic Serge style arpeggio patch using the slope circuit :

[/video]
The Junglechrist
Hello everyone ! Here you go for a new Patch From Scratch :

The Junglechrist
Here we go for a new one using the Verbos System :

The Junglechrist
Hello everyone ! After this summer break we are back with some new videos of patching from scratch, here is the first one we have to share :

The Junglechrist
Hey there ! Here a new Patch From Scratch for thos interested, using two 0-Coast interconnected:

The Junglechrist
New Patch From Scratch online folks ! I made a Easel like case using mainly Verbos modules to go on holiday this last summer and we did a few videos with it. Here is the first one :

The Junglechrist
Hey there everyone ! We are back with a very noisy patch today, using monstly Make Noise modules :

The Junglechrist
New Patch From Scratch online !

The Junglechrist
Hey there ! Another one in the Patch From Scratch serie, Maths and Pressure Points for basic but fun preset envelope action :

The Junglechrist
Hello everyone ! Here we go again for a new Patch From Scratch, this one using our Verbos Music Easel to play percussions :

The Junglechrist
New Patch From Scratch online with the QMMG as a screaming filter and the Multi-Delay Processor as a weird Chorus / Detuner :

The Junglechrist
New Patch From Scratch online showing the meeting of the Moog Grandmother and the Make Nois 0-Coast :

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion  
Page 1 of 3