MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Adding MP3s and other files is now EASY!!!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read!  
Author Adding MP3s and other files is now EASY!!!
Muff Wiggler
I just installed a new "Attachment Mod" to make it way easier to upload stuff (like MP3's and WAVs!) without people having to learn FTP or to bother me about the password.

Just to be clear - this forum provides the upload space AND the hosting FOR YOU. You can attach ANY type of file. And you can do it all from the posting form.

Please note - The option is NOT available on the "Quick Reply" form at the bottom of each thread. You need to go to the main "Post Reply" page, by clicking the 'Post Reply' button.

At the bottom you'll see a filename box and a place for a comment. It should be pretty easy, hit browse, select the file, add a comment if you want, then press the "Add Attachment" button. Repeat for multiples.

I have to manually set each allowed filetype, I think I put in everything we would need but if something isn't allowed, just let me know, and I'll add it.

I'm testing it here with this post trying to attach an image and an mp3.

For the audio files, we can have an embedded player if you guys prefer.... but you need to accept the Microsoft Media Player ActiveX control into your browser... and if you want to download the file you need to find the properties in the player options, get the link, and manually paste it into the browser. I figure it is easier the current way (no player - just the download link). Just click the download link to select either 'open' or 'save' Let me know if you guys prefer the embedded player - this way things will stream.

I can also set it up to stream certain filetypes with the embedded player, and give you a download link on other file types. So we could have the player for MP3 and the download link for WAV. Let me know what you guys think. (I sorta think this would be best but I don't know how you feel about the ActiveX control and I'll start it off simple to let you guys get used to that...maybe we can try the player a bit later and see how people feel about it)
Muff Wiggler
oh yeah, you'll now see a paperclip icon next to the thread title in the forum listing if the thread has attachments 8)
Muff Wiggler
and don't forget - you can attach ANY type of file (well, except .php files and a couple of webscript types, which could be dangerous....), like MS-Word, ZIP, RAR, DOC, PPT, PDF, whatever. Could be pretty handy.
Muff Wiggler
and btw, this modification was an absolute BITCH to perform (some of you may have noticed the forum was down for a while tonight with a strange error message - normally I can do mods without causing any hiccup to the forum's uptime....) and it took hours so I hope you guys enjoy it angry

i'm pretty happy with it though.. and i've got no question it'll be useful for a lot of you, totally worth the effort to add this in my opinion.
futuresoundsystems
Kewl, thanks Muff!!! smile
zerosum
SlayerBadger!

Quote:
and btw, this modification was an absolute BITCH to perform (some of you may have noticed the forum was down for a while tonight with a strange error message - normally I can do mods without causing any hiccup to the forum's uptime....) and it took hours so I hope you guys enjoy it

applause thumbs up Chugging Beers
johnnymad
just when i learn to use ftp, you change things. hihi
Muff Wiggler
i know.... sorry! hihi

ftp knowledge is good to have regardless...

and, you can STILL use the FTP, I did not retire it...
Muff Wiggler
ok, trying a small change. mp3 files will use the embedded player (make sure you accept the activeX control popup thing) and wav files should have a download link.

PLEASE let me know if anyone has trouble with the player, I can go back to simple links for them, thanks
Muff Wiggler
ok, seems to be working... let me know if anyone has trouble, thx
Kwote
i didn't know you could sing Muff. lol
felix
Yay Muff! Thanks! Guinness ftw!
Muff Wiggler
Kwote wrote:

you laughing at my singing? angry
Muff Wiggler
last update on this - no embeddable player - download links only. The player was cool but had issues on some browsers and operating systems. Thats unacceptable to me - the Internet is a failure when protocol/versioning wars happen, we need to support the common denominator so that everyone can get the same service.

thanks guys - i'm glad we have uploading now 8)
Kwote
Muff Wiggler wrote:
Kwote wrote:

you laughing at my singing? angry

no if it's actually you singing i'm not laughing. otherwise harharhar.
Muff Wiggler
hehehehe

ok, i've added support for FPD files to the attachment feature.

guys - if you find a filetype you want to upload and it's not allowed, PLEASE let me know and I'll add them

thanks 8)
Muff Wiggler
please note you can manage your attachments....

to do so, view your 'public profile' view by clicking your name in the message list, forum index, latest posts, etc. You'll see the profile view like this:

then if you click on the 'User Attachment Control Panel' link (bottom right in the above image), you'll see an overview of all the attachments you have uploaded, it looks like this:

As you see, there are some options to view the topics they are posted in, download them directly, or delete them. The download one is handy if you lose a file and recall that you uploaded it here in the past, but don't remember where.

I have not enabled any quotas - you guys have unlimited upload space on all filetypes. I have quite a lot of storage and bandwidth for this forum, and I cannot see running out, to be totally honest. I cannot promise this however. But anyway, as far as I can tell into the future, no limits. Please don't get mad at me if that ever has to change, but I do think that's very unlikely.

Anyway, if you have some files that are just not being used or something (I think it's good to keep them in any thread someone may read in the future!), go ahead and delete it, but don't worry that you have to clean up - if they are in forum posts, might as well leave them up.

Please be sensible and use it for sharing your music and synth demos, and documents and other things related to the topics we discuss here at the forum. If it's handy for a discussion here, feel free to upload it, PDF, ZIP, MP3, DOC, XLS, whatever....

Please don't use it to upload ISOs of stolen software or DVDs or stuff like that. I happen to totally trust you guys and don't think for a moment that it's going to be abused, so there really wasn't any point in mentioning that but I'm rambling now so I'll stop...

thanks
Muff Wiggler
ok, no matter what I do, seems there's at least one person having problems with the integrated file upload...

since it seems to be working for most, I'll leave it as it is.

However, I've set up a slightly more convoluted alternative...for the one user (Kent) who it doesn't work, I created an ftp account.

If anyone wants to upload, but the integrated forum upload doesn't work, please let me know and I'll hook you up with the FTP

cheers
dkcg
Awesome! Even easier to share now! Great job Muff!
Kent
Thanks for calling out the lone 'tard by name... hihi

I just tried it again, after our emails & PMs and such, and it just will not work. Strangest thing since I have no issues with other forums or even in streaming copious amounts of pr0n.
Babaluma
this is cool muff! i already know ftp and have my own server space so will continue to do it the old way and save you some file space!
Muff Wiggler
dkcg wrote:
Awesome! Even easier to share now! Great job Muff!

My pleasure! 8)

Kent wrote:
Thanks for calling out the lone 'tard by name... hihi

I just tried it again, after our emails & PMs and such, and it just will not work. Strangest thing since I have no issues with other forums or even in streaming copious amounts of pr0n.

I'm sorry oops

It it makes you feel any better, it's totally my fault and not yours.. does the ftp work ok for you?

Babaluma wrote:
this is cool muff! i already know ftp and have my own server space so will continue to do it the old way and save you some file space!

much appreciated sir! there's space if you ever need it though 8)
Kwote
yeah. i upload some of my pictures here but for bigger things like soundfiles i'll keep using kwotemusic.com *shameless plug*
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Announcements - Please read!  
Page 1 of 1