MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Ditch the Nord Modular for more Eurorack?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Author Ditch the Nord Modular for more Eurorack?
c0rpse
I picked up the Nord Modular about 6 months ago to get a taste for modular patching. I fell in love immediately. The patching experience is great, and the sounds that come out are even better.

I recently got a nice raise at work and decided to make the jump into Eurorack. My skiff consists of a Tyme Sefari, Choices, Voltage Memory, Triggerman and input/output modules. I'm very happy with it. It is obviously meant to work with the Nord, considering it doesn't have a sound generating module. I am noticing that there are modules that sound like and could replace the patches I use on the G1. The idea of having everything contained in one box is very attractive, and the announcement of the AudioDamage Odio makes this idea even moreso.

What do you guys think? Should I sell the Nord and spend it on Euro modules? Should I get an A-192-1 and start treating the Nord like a piece of Eurorack?
ignatius
both. as always smile

it's nice to have the nord modular along side an actual modular
GovernorSilver
I've seen some creative patches in the Nord Modular community that go beyond just emulating a real modular. Maybe you should try those.

As an eminent member of that community once said, never underestimate the value of being able to patch a nearly unlimited number of modules together in the Nord's virtual environment. Quite a few user patches use 50 or more modules. That guy has used as much as 90.
Votek_Mendo
Names of the patches you found?
fac
Seems like you're having fun with your Nord Mod so why sell it? There is nothing like them out there, so instead of replacing it, be patient, save up and complement it with the eurorack.

You can use the Nord for lots of stuff you can't usually do with an analog modular: polyphonic sounds, lots of sequences, drums and percussions, musical FM, etc.

I love all my modulars but in case of despair, my Nord G2 would be the last piece of gear I'd sell.
ersatzplanet
I have had a G2 and a G1 at the same time I had a smaller modular. I have a much larger modular now and only a Nord G1. I am going the other direction - selling off part of the modular and the G1 to get a G2. There is definitely a difference between the virtual and the actual modular. The actual is better for exploration and discovery and in most cases, better for wiggling. It is hard to beat the Nord though for the fact that is is VERY hard to run out of modules when making a patch. It would be hard to pay for 5 or six analog sequencers in the real world modular when it is just a menu click away on the Nord.
GovernorSilver
Votek_Mendo wrote:
Names of the patches you found?

Motion Detection is pretty neat. Probably better if you just download and try yourself - you might have completely different taste in sounds and music than me. I'm not a vintage purist so I never tried the analog emulation ones.

http://electro-music.com/nm_classic/011_2_CategoriesArchive/LineIn/Loo pFollower/

Full archive of G1 patches on electro-music:
http://electro-music.com/nm_classic/
plogbidman
I own two Nord Modular G2 and a 24U eurorack system. The good choice Is to have both to have the best of both digital and analog worlds.
pixelmechanic
I'd keep (at least one of) my (three) Nord Modulars if I sold all my Euro. They're capable of some really interesting tones...

http://soundcloud.com/pixelmechanic/sets/mm-sketches

I use my two micros as ways to fill in while I'm patching my Euro live

Don't really use my G1 as much, but hope to remedy that over the summer (2 more weeks of teaching, woo)
stk
c0rpse wrote:

What do you guys think? Should I sell the Nord and spend it on Euro modules? Should I get an A-192-1 and start treating the Nord like a piece of Eurorack?

I think you should think about what the Nord does for you, and whether it fits into your music making. you're the only one with real answers, after all.

In my OPINION, the G1 is an amazing piece of kit, with very little overlap with a hardware modular. What you lose in interfacing flexibility you gain in unique sound, flexibility and polyphony.

You can use the doepfer cv 2 midi converter to get (non-audio rate, quantised) CV control over it, which is quite cool, and if yr really game you can hack the G1's knobs for direct CV control.

But it all comes down to your own workflow, right?
stk
Also - as I keep posting every time it comes up - if you want to do the cliched dub techno resochord thing in hardware, Nord mod is afaik your only option.
Ish
c0rpse wrote:

No way in hell.

I've had my Nord since the 90s, and am new to Eurorack myself, but -- especially given your self proclamation as a newbie to the thought process -- I'd definitely not advise it.

Why? Logic modules.

The Nord will allow you to gain experience with some of the esoteric stuff you might otherwise not think to purchasing in Eurorack, and you can certainly craft a patch that would need more than 9U to accommodate. The fact that you can then click "save" and "new" to create an entirely new 9U experience is worth the cost of admission.
myecholalia
Watching this closely. Had a MM way back when and stupidly sold it. Can someone fill me in on the status of using the editor on modern so platforms? On a Yosemite machine for music making. Anything that doesn't work regarding the original editor software? Quirks to be aware of? Thinking of trying to find a G1 or even only a MM again.
peachfuzzmcgee
I love my Nord Modular and although I'm still planning my real modular, I would never give up my nord modular. Heck I just got a nord modular keys with the expansion for close to the price of my rack version. Although I definitely don't need the rack now, but the convenience is stellar. I carry my nord modular keys, my Microsoft surface tablet, headphones, and my midi sports uno in a roll top backpack with no issues and I go play wherever I want!

Keep it is what I'm saying the things you can do with this thing in conjunction with a analog modular is awesome (also don't forget the headphone as a CV out software patch which is documented at the electro-music website)
Ish
myecholalia wrote:
Watching this closely. Had a MM way back when and stupidly sold it. Can someone fill me in on the status of using the editor on modern so platforms? On a Yosemite machine for music making. Anything that doesn't work regarding the original editor software? Quirks to be aware of? Thinking of trying to find a G1 or even only a MM again.

I don't use OSX anymore (at the moment), but it works fine in Windows 7 and Ubuntu.

Given how non-hardware intensive the editor is, you could pick up a second hand notebook for $50~75 USD, and something like this to route the midi: http://goo.gl/xolnIu (link goes to Sweetwater page for the MAudio Uno).

The only downside to this is the added power drain in the studio.
saldiamond
Was in a similar situation after I started a eurorack system.

Hadn't used my micromodular for a few years and when I was using it before, only scratched the surface of what it's capable of.

After stumbling through the process of putting together a system and learning along the way I am glad I held onto it.
Just started experimenting with it again and it's a lot of fun and I am understanding a lot more about the hundreds of patches I downloaded before.

Also agree 100% with what Ish said.
Ish
@ myecholalia - For what it is worth, somebody selling a G1 in a private Facebook group just posted this:

"- It is possible to run the G1 editor on latest OS X w/a simple terminal/wine hack. the editor runs like a normal app in OS X w/o any need for parallels or virtual windows isntall etc."
myecholalia
@ish: that sounds very intriguing. can you point me to the group/post via pm, please? cheers!
Naut.Sirius
myecholalia wrote:
@ish: that sounds very intriguing. can you point me to the group/post via pm, please? cheers!

Here you go!

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=405955
ignatius
Ish wrote:
@ myecholalia - For what it is worth, somebody selling a G1 in a private Facebook group just posted this:

"- It is possible to run the G1 editor on latest OS X w/a simple terminal/wine hack. the editor runs like a normal app in OS X w/o any need for parallels or virtual windows isntall etc."

that was me smile

it runs perfectly. took me a couple hours to work it out following the instructions from the electro-music thread but once i "rebuilt from source" in terminal and applied the patch to wine it was smooth sailing.

i'm a total novice w/code type things and terminal mucking around so if i can do it anyone can.

here's the thread

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=405955

thumbs up
sdejesus13
I am new to eurorack myself, but have used a Nord Modular G1 and a G2X for years. I started into Eurorack as the O.P. did, with modules as a compliment to the Nord. This is a powerful way to go as others have commented.

One point that I think is not obvious in this setup is that you can route "control voltage" signals in Nord patches to the output jacks on the Nord Modular and use those to interact further with your Eurorack modules. I had read that this required a mod to the output jacks, but it just works on my G2X. Not really sure if they are scaled properly as 1V/oct, but they are definitely usable.

Also, I have a Mutable Instruments Yarns module, which is an awesome midi to cv interface, quad arpeggiator, quad euclidean sequencer, and quad oscillator, among other things. Yarns interacting with the Nord is double plus good...
ersatzplanet
sdejesus13 wrote:
I am new to eurorack myself, but have used a Nord Modular G1 and a G2X for years. I started into Eurorack as the O.P. did, with modules as a compliment to the Nord. This is a powerful way to go as others have commented.

One point that I think is not obvious in this setup is that you can route "control voltage" signals in Nord patches to the output jacks on the Nord Modular and use those to interact further with your Eurorack modules. I had read that this required a mod to the output jacks, but it just works on my G2X. Not really sure if they are scaled properly as 1V/oct, but they are definitely usable.

Also, I have a Mutable Instruments Yarns module, which is an awesome midi to cv interface, quad arpeggiator, quad euclidean sequencer, and quad oscillator, among other things. Yarns interacting with the Nord is double plus good...

If you use the Headphone out jacks you don't need to modify anything. The regular outs are AC coupled so will not pass DC unless it is moving. the headphone outs are not AC coupled. This is strange since DC outputted there could easily fry your phones if left there for too long.

BTW - I will trade a couple of 6U skiffs full of modules for a G2 if you are in the USA.
suboptimal
The amount you'd get for the Nord would buy a few modules, but you won't get anywhere near the functionality for that money. If you're already using it and enjoying it, keep on doing that.
skkatter
The original Nord Modular is a stone cold classic. It's my favourite digital synth, sounds great and the software (once you actually find a machine that can still run it) is pretty decent too.

Shame that Clavia stopped supporting it and never released an official OSX editor. I run mine through the Fenix formant filter a lot for some interesting sounds. I've never used a G2 but have hard a lot of people say the G1s oscillators sound nicer somehow.
talfred
Don't sell it. It'll take you 20 years to get a modular rig that can give you the same modules as in the Nord. And it will cost a lot of money. Besides, remember that lot's of eurorack modules are digital too, and not necessary any better than modules in the Nord Modular. You can't go wrong with both a nord and an eurorack
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear Goto page 1, 2  Next [all]
Page 1 of 2