MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Mannequins: THREE SISTERS Linked Filters (Now Shipping)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Author Mannequins: THREE SISTERS Linked Filters (Now Shipping)
whimsical
"MANNEQUINS" by Whimsical Raps
Musical Instruments for the Arrangement of Vivid Colour.
http://whimsicalraps.com

"Three Sisters related to, and reflections of, one another. Together carving spectral spaces, reorganising and deconstructing tones. A kaleidoscopic lens into your world of sound."

10HP
30mm depth
$313 USD / $400 AUD
FREE shipping in the US.

Direct orders now shipping.

In these stores April 10:
Control (Brooklyn)
Control Voltage (Portland)
London Modular(UK)
This Thing(AUS)

http://whimsicalraps.com

And for your racks:
http://modulargrid.net
gloomnox
Wow! Such a classy module. This and the mannequin are exactly what I'm looking for in Euro at the moment. applause
ju4n
Very Interesting design with a unique topology. Cheers!
MB II
So it's a multimode filter right?
Underneath all the auroras of spectra cascading through ultra wave dimensions morphing sonic atmospheres warping find the new you today crystals change your life tarot readings done cheap....

It's a multimode filter with some extras though yeah, but do you get a free crystal in the box?

A range of different crystals might actually go with the marketing. I knew euro was kind of a cult but this is getting funny.

I love the fact that the YouTube video afterwards is titled "why I left the Mormon church"
wednesdayayay
I know right so funny that different people with different aesthetics other than my own make modules that have a little flavor text what a cult LOL

that being said this doesn't seem too exciting (at least not compared to their other module)
Convulser
wednesdayayay wrote:
...that being said this doesn't seem too exciting (at least not compared to their other module)

I'm not psyched at how this filter sounds. I am interested, however, in hearing it in a more complicated signal chain.
Bogus
Does the span CV track 1v/oct?
concretic
definitely on my wishlist. ill be ordering this year christmas along with mangrove smile applause
mqtthiqs
MB II wrote:
Underneath all the auroras of spectra cascading through ultra wave dimensions morphing sonic atmospheres warping find the new you today crystals change your life tarot readings done cheap....

It's a multimode filter with some extras though yeah, but do you get a free crystal in the box?

A range of different crystals might actually go with the marketing. I knew euro was kind of a cult but this is getting funny.

I love the fact that the YouTube video afterwards is titled "why I left the Mormon church"

That's really bad vibes man. These guys present to you months, if not years of work and you sweep it from the back of the hand. Have you taken the time of properly understanding what makes it particular?
It actually looks like much more than just a multi-mode filter (witness the span control): you can adjust the frequency of the three filters separately. So I'd say it's actually three different filters, with related frequency; plus a switch to toggle from lp/bp/hp to bp/bp/bp, which seems really clever. Plus the integrated sum output, which could make it do phaser-like effects... Plus the fact that you can generate sine chords (triads, fifths and octaves, but that's already plenty) when self-oscillating...

On the contrary, i'd applaude the originality: finally some new blood in the army of boring filters we see everywhere! I'm sold!
Dogma
MB II wrote:

Go shoot some unicorns smile

Seriously though - have you tried the Mannequins? I just wanna know if you have any idea of what your talking about or.....

I need more demos! Maybe with a different OSC?
ignatius
innovate. nice design. i like the way it sounds.. such range in there.

nicely done.. again!
Matos
Great work. I'm not a filter guy, but this seems interesting. Lots going on with some very clever design. I'm intrigued. I must be hopped up on the kool-aid.
flashheart
Bogus wrote:
Does the span CV track 1v/oct?

Can't see how it would given span = bandwidth. Ah, see what you mean - controlling pitch intervals... There's a 'v/8' label by the Freq input (presumably v/octave) but not by the Span input.

Not mad keen on the wording of the web page TBH, but the demo is pretty comprehensive. Interesting ideas, not oversold by the sounds on the demo but early days.
Kirk Degiorgio
can't wait for this - Mangrove is a stunningly original VCO.
tehn
i was fortunate to get an early circuit demo of this one-- it was tricky without a plate and legend, but nonetheless i was floored immediately by the sounds achieved and possible patching configurations.

what's to be applauded is how this design succeeds at being musical. the layout and control scheme turn what could be a boring filter (there are tons of them on the market) into an incredibly engaging instrument that has huge sonic range-- it's not a one-trick, not a utility, not a spartan building-block.

this is the sort of design i'm excited about. i'm hoping there's much more to come.
carlosnyb
It's a lot of fun to take two or three multi-mode filters and have them work in parallel or series in various relationships. I do like the idea of having bandpass width controls on dual (or in this case, triple) filter modules, convenient.

I like the way 2-3 SEM-type filters sound doing those kinds of things.
Kytopia
Don't you hate it when every time you're planning a very exact expansion for your rig, you stumble upon something entirely redundant to your needs which still leaves you wanting to have it?

tons of musical ideas pop in mind just by listening to this demo. the fact that it crossfades (by bandwidth!!!) while filtering, combing and resonating etc makes this a very usable tool. Can't wait to try it.

that said, please please please be available when I need it. more than once have I missed out on a module only because it was discontinued by the time I had room for it (modcan dual delay, anyone?)
MB II
i didn't slate the product, it's a multimode filter with extras, some cool extras.
the blurb, to me, is a bit flowery, that's all, doesn't make the modules any less desirable or useful, e.g. I can dislike a snickers advert but still want a snickers can't I? hasn't stopped me from wanting that filter, three BPs thrown in as a bonus, I'd buy that for 313 dollars!
but I'd want it delivered on a unicorn, by three sisters, under a rainbow of prismatic harmonics...dammit. Have to watch South Park now.
mapmap
three sisters is by far my favorite filter.
i was lucky enough to beta test one and it really blew me away with the sound quality and flexibility.
it's an all around amazing module.
another home run for mannequins
M4R71N
I was waiting for the demo. I really like your innovative designs, i hope you will continue expanding your modules line hyper
whimsical
For anyone NYC based, the Three Sisters will be making an appearance in @tehn's rack for the monome demo & performance at control tomorrow night.

7pm. Wednesday 3/25

http://www.ctrl-mod.com
whimsical
A little update that we're on schedule for April 10 availability - All the small pieces coming together.

Regarding the SPAN control, it is not 1v/octave due to the desired response of the control. It didn't seem to make sense when only 1 of the filters is v/8 calibrated. It would be possible, yes, but would greatly impact the price.

As to 'what it is' I'd say it's somewhere between 'a' filter, and three filters in terms of use. The ability to have independent signal paths through the filters adds an incredible flexibility over the normal SVF design. Sisters also excels in the single-source setting though, where the variable sized 'centrepass' response allows some new sounds somewhat reminiscent of the Buchla 291, though with a level of fine control not associated with that design.

Thanks go to all those who've gotten on board with preorders!
Flohr
The demonstration at Control was awesome. The Monome integration definitely seems like a very powerful way of sequencing and interacting with a Eurorack system. I'd highly recommend it to people who are already using Monome's who are looking for a way into modular. For myself, I'm probably a little more interested in Mangrove and Three Sisters. Two things I'm most excited about trying with TS: delay feedback patches with inversion and using it as a FM modulator. You could do some really strange quasi 4-op FM with just this and one other oscillator.
myecholalia
Broke down today and pre-ordered. Looking forward to this so much!
whimsical
All preorders are presently being boxed up and will ship this afternoon. Final touches are being put on the retailer orders and they will go on sale this Friday April 10, including UK & Australia.

New direct orders will ship same day.

In the meantime the manual is now complete and available below for those wanting to know a bit more of how it works under the hood.

http://www.whimsicalraps.com/pages/three-sisters
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next [all]
Page 1 of 13